An Overlooked Reason As To Why Some Are Talking About "Low Energy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhill

Refugee
OK, apart from the fact that Bono is simply too old to not be getting some decent sleep on a regular basis (and perhaps doing back-to-back gigs), there's an overlooked reason that some are attributing to low energy from the band.

Historically, by and large, this band performs material in the most inspired way when first touring it (on the back of a new album).

There are exceptions such as Ultraviolet and HMTMKMKM during the 360 tour and, of course, times when there is an occasion to rise to.

It's been this way for decades.

While I appreciate that the band (Bono, in particular) appear to have gone back and listened to the studio versions (something I have long wished Bono would do more regularly), it's just not in their DNA to perform older materially as energetically as newer material.

Exhibit A (there is no B):

Watch 3:34 forward. To me (apart from perhaps Exit), this is the only time on this tour I've seen such passion.

For the record, I'm stating this in defense of the band. I don't think they're phoning the older songs in per se, they're just (almost always) unable to play the older songs in a way that's as energetic / inspired as they did when right after it was originally recorded.

Beyond that, Bono has had some many vocal styles over the years (which varied more between albums in the 80's and 90's) that there's just no way he can sing them consistently (if at all) the way he did during the era they were recorded.

It's just not going to happen.

On the upside, to me, Bono's vocals sound great in a lot of places...even if I can see that he's pacing himself more than he used to.

That might be another reality we all have to live with.

He just has to remember when to hit the big notes (as in ASOH - smokescreen all AR-RAH-AH-OUND). It's when he forgets such "little" (read: BIG) moments that can also attributed to what can be perceived as low energy. I'm a little surprised sometimes (during this tour that he's doing that) as he's certainly remembering the screams in NYD...

The real problem is that they're performing a setlist of all older songs (save one sometimes).

Last edited:
Oh for fucks sake. I stopped at the part where you made an assumption about Bono's sleep.

Oh for fucks sake. I stopped at the part where you made an assumption about Bono's sleep.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...ver-had-trump-in-its-shadows/article34981864/

"In fact, he had nine hours of sleep the previous night – something he hasn’t had since he was nine, he joked"

Here we go again. This is the type of shit I'm talking about...attacking just for the sake of it. Bono recently said that he got 9 hours of sleep before opening night...and that it was the first type he had gotten that much sleep since he was 9. Not to mention that anyone with eyeballs in their cranium can see that he often isn't very well rested.

How in f*cks sake is that making an assumption?

Is it possible to keep this thread about the actual subject instead of needlessly attacking me personally?

It got old a long time ago.

Last edited:
Over the years, there have been many times that Bono has mentioned that he doesn't sleep much. It's not like he's suddenly sleep deprived. That's just how he works. So when he says he got 9 hours, yes that's out of the norm.

Over the years, there have been many times that Bono has mentioned that he doesn't sleep much. It's not like he's suddenly sleep deprived. That's just how he works. So when he says he got 9 hours, yes that's out of the norm.

Where / when did it say it was sudden? I guess you're just making stuff up? From what I can tell (based on reality including his prior comments), he's been depriving himself of sleep for decades.

This is something that I think any reasonable person might say is best to address for the sake of one's health. He does seem tired sometimes and I hope that he takes care of himself...and I don't think it's wise to sustain as the years continue to advance.

U2's The Edge Explains Stage Fall, "Can't Quite Believe" He Wasn't Hurt (Video) | Hollywood Reporter

“Edge says that I look at my body like it’s an inconvenience,” Bono said. “And that I need to be more mindful. And you know I’ve been disagreeing with Edge all my life on musical matters, but I’m starting to pay much more attention to him on philosophical ones.”

But that wasn't the main point of the thread (nor should attacking me personally be).

Should I just give up on these forums? Or will people like you be able to grow up and stay on topic?

Where / when did it say it was sudden? I guess you're just making stuff up? From what I can tell (based on reality including his prior comments), he's been depriving himself of sleep for decades.

This is something that I think any reasonable person might say is best to address for the sake of one's health. He does seem tired sometimes and I hope that he takes care of himself...and I don't think it's wise to sustain as the years continue to advance.

U2's The Edge Explains Stage Fall, "Can't Quite Believe" He Wasn't Hurt (Video) | Hollywood Reporter

“Edge says that I look at my body like it’s an inconvenience,” Bono said. “And that I need to be more mindful. And you know I’ve been disagreeing with Edge all my life on musical matters, but I’m starting to pay much more attention to him on philosophical ones.”

But that wasn't the main point of the thread (nor should attacking me personally be). Should I just give up on these forums? Or will people like you be able to grow up and stay on topic?
Some people just need less sleep. I'm 36 and usually only need 5 hours a night. If my fiance gets anything less than 8 she's a wreck.

Some people just need less sleep. I'm 36 and usually only need 5 hours a night. If my fiance gets anything less than 8 she's a wreck.

True that different people need different amounts of sleep. It seems to me that Bono would be well served by taking better care of his health as the years advance. If that's a ridiculous assertion to you, so be it.

Again, however, that wasn't the main point of this thread. I was hoping for some constructive thoughts or to just discuss without derailing (if possible).

Last edited:

But that wasn't the main point of the thread (nor should attacking me personally be).

Should I just give up on these forums? Or will people like you be able to grow up and stay on topic?

I don't think you should give up, I just think approaching things differently might be to your advantage.

For example there are far too many assumptions in this theory; you assume there's a low energy consensus, you assume U2 aren't able to conjure up the same energy in subsequent tours(which you even note that's not always the case), and then one would have to agree on idea there's only 2 areas where Bono shows passion in the night. That's a lot of assumptions one would have to make for this theory to work.

I think there's different factors at play; the few I've seen complain of low energy haven't even seen the show yet, visually this is an entirely different way we're experiencing a show, we're watching landscapes and stories rather than mostly images of the band, and are you someone who's listened to 235 bootlegs of wowy? perhaps the low energy is coming from someone who is tired themselves of these songs.

I'm done. This is the last time I post a thread just to get personally attacked and then scapegoated for simply wanting to discuss U2.

This is another obvious fact about this band (that new material is generally performed best off the back of a new album) that I wanted to discuss. Instead, I get personally attacked for making assumptions (when I didn't make any) and the thread itself get's disparaged. I'm sure there are only more attacks to follow.

What an insane thought that I could have discussed U2 on a U2 forum. Silly me.

I've been a member here for around 17 years but there's a crop of regulars on here that are unable to discuss this band without attacking people personally in gangbang fashion.

Immaturity, lack of integrity, a misunderstanding of what the band represents, simply low quality / demented people....whatever combination of factors it is...I'm done. It's one thing to have such people in your life when it's a matter of chance that you have to associate with them (whether that be family / co-workers/ neighbors)...it's quite another to associate with people like that when you don't have to.

There are other forums where people are mature enough to discuss the band without all this nonsense.

You can guys can have this place. It's ruined as the many of the people who post here regularly are incapable of decent conversation.

Enjoy your gangbang!

:wave:

I'm done. This is the last time I post a thread just to get personally attacked and then scapegoated for simply wanting to discuss U2.

This is another obvious fact about this band (that new material is generally performed best off the back of a new album) that I wanted to discuss. Instead, I get personally attacked for making assumptions (when I didn't make any) and the thread itself get's disparaged. I'm sure there are only more attacks to follow.

I've been a member here for around 17 years but there's a crop of regulars on here that are unable to discuss this band without attacking people personally in gangbang fashion.

Immaturity, lack of integrity, a misunderstanding of what the band represents, simply low quality / demented people....whatever combination of factors it is...I'm done. It's one thing to have such people in your life when it's a matter of chance that you have to associate with them (whether that be family / co-workers/ neighbors)...it's quite another to associate with people like that when you don't have to.

There are other forums where people are mature enough to discuss the band without all this nonsense.

You can guys can have this place. It's ruined as the many of the people who post here regularly are incapable of decent conversation.

Enjoy your gangbang!

Show me where I 'personally attacked' you? Please do. I was trying to engage with you, like an adult.

Enjoy your gangbang!

The only attack, personal or otherwise, came after this post.

You want discussion, but only if people agree with you. That is never going to happen. People have opinions that are different than yours. THAT is an obvious fact of reality.

Quit the woe is me bullcrap and engage with people with differing opinions and you won't have a problem. Continue to go off the rails every time somebody disagrees with you and you're going to flame out fairly quickly. Seeing as you returned by calling out the mods, it seems fairly likely that this is your intent.

So be it.

Is it possible to keep this thread about the actual subject instead of needlessly attacking me personally?

If you can point out the part where Mikal attacks you personally, I'll gladly personally notify a moderator of his unwarranted attack. It would be the first time in 16+ years I tattled on anyone, but prove to me there is an attack here and I'll do it.

What's sad about this is that they're are things on the OP that I actually agree with and have been a complaint of mine. But where it loses me is the same pattern of assumptions about the band members (Larry's not on board, Bono doesn't get enough sleep).

It is possible to share opinions without taking it there.

Yeah, personally I hesitated to even respond, I made sure there wasn't any snark or anything that could be misconstrued, and even reread to make sure.

I would have never guessed the word 'assumption' made me a demented gangbanger.

Well for what it's worth:

A person might feel attacked when after they make a post where they try to share some thoughts and a response starts with, "for fucks sake".... not sure that makes a person feel all that welcome though perhaps it's not to the level of a "personal attack" or worse "cyber bullying"

This is a message board -- the line between fact, opinion, rumor, sourced rumor and so on can get pretty fuzzy in my opinion... not sure if a consensus opinion is anything but consensus opinion....for fucks's sake, sometimes there is occasional disagreement on what constitutes a "snippet" during a show, or so it seems..:wink:

Chill... out.

Final thought, sort of relevant here -- my buddy traveled to Seattle from Omaha... oddly one of his first comments was something like "Bono looked weary".... sample of one, others might not agree, just his opinion.

All this and I just read Twitter where Ax reports that last night was 21 songs and it's been quite some time since the song count was this low.... all of this seems to add up to something, not sure what.... hopefully the future gets a big kiss.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...ver-had-trump-in-its-shadows/article34981864/

"In fact, he had nine hours of sleep the previous night – something he hasn’t had since he was nine, he joked"

Here we go again. This is the type of shit I'm talking about...attacking just for the sake of it. Bono recently said that he got 9 hours of sleep before opening night...and that it was the first type he had gotten that much sleep since he was 9. Not to mention that anyone with eyeballs in their cranium can see that he often isn't very well rested.

How in f*cks sake is that making an assumption?

It got old a long time ago.
One comment about not getting 9 hours of sleep (which is actually too much sleep for an adult... alas) does not make it a fact that Bono doesn't get enough sleep.

And that's the problem.

It IS an assumption. A good one, and one I'm inclined to agree with, but an assumption none the less. I also think Bono probably stretches himself way too thin, especially for someone of his age. He travels like a world leader, and doesn't exactly keep himself in the best of shape year in and year out. I don't see anyway that it can't have a negative effect on him.

But it's still an absolute assumption that he's not getting enough sleep on tour, and unless you're at the hotel each night, it's merely an educated guess.

People turn on you when you present these guesses and theories as absolute, indisputable fact. Drop that and you'll have no issues. Keep that, and your issues will follow you to whatever message board you choose to be home next.

This is a message board -- the line between fact, opinion, rumor, sourced rumor and so on can get pretty fuzzy in my opinion... not sure if a consensus opinion is anything but consensus opinion....for fucks's sake, sometimes there is occasional disagreement on what constitutes a "snippet" during a show, or so it seems..:wink:

No, as adults we have got to stop with this gray/ fuzzy line between fact and opinion. There is no gray line, facts are indisputable and can be proven. Some things will always remain subjective, even if there is a genuine consensus(which there wasn't) a majority consensus still does not make it fact. We have GOT to stop pretending otherwise.

I don't think you should give up, I just think approaching things differently might be to your advantage.

For example there are far too many assumptions in this theory; you assume there's a low energy consensus, you assume U2 aren't able to conjure up the same energy in subsequent tours(which you even note that's not always the case), and then one would have to agree on idea there's only 2 areas where Bono shows passion in the night. That's a lot of assumptions one would have to make for this theory to work.

I think there's different factors at play; the few I've seen complain of low energy haven't even seen the show yet, visually this is an entirely different way we're experiencing a show, we're watching landscapes and stories rather than mostly images of the band, and are you someone who's listened to 235 bootlegs of wowy? perhaps the low energy is coming from someone who is tired themselves of these songs.

Here is where you're factually wrong:

I never said there was a consensus about the low energy. I said that "some people are talking about low energy".

I never said that U2 not being able to conjure the same energy was an absolute. I said it was generally the case. While perhaps not a fact, I would be hard-pressed to see how anyone who was watched as much live footage (or been to as many concerts) would disagree (if they were being honest).

Further, I'm not sure what the vague "2 areas" you mention are but Bono is a singer in a rock band. I'm speaking of the entire band and Bono's energy / passion when singing.

As far as not being able to get a good idea of the performances from video footage, I disagree entirely. While it is a different experience from actually being there (clearly), the performance is all there to see. If anything, one can get a more objective take watching video footage, IMO.

Finally, I have seen and heard well over 100 (erring on the side of caution) live performances of WOWY since they started playing it live.

Your last comment attempts to scapegoat me and say that low energy performances are somehow my fault for being tired of certain songs.

That about sums up your post. As one member (who it appears you guys ran off the boards
?) said...you're a "hammer in search of nails".

Your reply had nothing to do with honestly replying to the post. It was all about erroneously accusing me of making several assumptions that I (factually) did not make.

Then you put a cherry on top by blaming me for the band's performances.

At this point, I don't think you know any better.

The only thing in my post that could be called an assumption is that the band perform the songs with the most inspired and energetic way fresh off a new release. I don't really see how anyone who knows this band's history in concert could miss this...It's almost like saying reheated food tastes better than it did fresh but I'm sure some people here would argue that as well.

In any case, it's impossible to tell if they're even being honest as this board isn't about discussing U2.

It's become about disparaging people who aren't in the "gang".

Last edited:
Code:
What's sad about this is that they're are things on the OP that I actually agree with and have been a complaint of mine. But where it loses me is the same pattern of assumptions about the band members (Larry's not on board, Bono doesn't get enough sleep).

It is possible to share opinions without taking it there.

Lie. The sad fact is you attack everything I post because you're demented.

Bono not getting enough sleep is not an assumption. Learn the difference. He said it himself.

The only attack, personal or otherwise, came after this post.

You want discussion, but only if people agree with you. That is never going to happen. People have opinions that are different than yours. THAT is an obvious fact of reality.

Quit the woe is me bullcrap and engage with people with differing opinions and you won't have a problem. Continue to go off the rails every time somebody disagrees with you and you're going to flame out fairly quickly. Seeing as you returned by calling out the mods, it seems fairly likely that this is your intent.

So be it.

Sweet lie.

The first words in reply to my post were "Oh for fucks sake."

Then I was falsely accused of making an assumption that I didn't make. Bono not being someone who gets what any person would call healthy sleep is well documented at this point.

And that wasn't even the point of the post!

No, as adults we have got to stop with this gray/ fuzzy line between fact and opinion. There is no gray line, facts are indisputable and can be proven. Some things will always remain subjective, even if there is a genuine consensus(which there wasn't) a majority consensus still does not make it fact. We have GOT to stop pretending otherwise.

Step off your soapbox. You accused me of making several assumptions that I didn't even make. Let's deal with reality here. If you look at my first post, I never said there was a consensus. Do you really have to LIE in an attempt to make your point?

Redhill strikes me as the kind of Helen Lovejoy think of the children types, and they're probably a GA queue self installed organiser.

I thought this thread was about not making assumptions (for some sick reason now). Neither of these things are even remotely true.

What a sad place this is these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom