2017 Live JT Vocals As Compared to 1987

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
Are there any JT songs this tour where you think the vocals are clearly an improvement from the 87 tour?

I'm going with In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, and Exit.

RTSS and Bullet...sometimes / in parts / maybe...

None, but they are definitely better than on some of the intervening tours. With or Without You is a big one, he's finally singing that properly after about two decades of mumbling.

Right you are about WOWY. It's as if before the I&E Tour began, somebody finally got the balls to say "YOU'VE BEEN BUTCHERING THAT SONG FOR OVER A DECADE!" He seemed to definitely put more effort (or any effort at all) into it during the 2015 and 2017 shows (at least some of the ones I saw).

Vocals improved vs 1987? Fuck no. Though I think the overall tempo of In Gods Country on this tour is better than the original JT tour - the 1987 live versions always sound like they are playing it too fast and it loses some of it atmosphere

Bono's 1987 vocals were very dry and raspy at times, especially on the 3rd leg of the tour. And that's not to mention the famous kermit the frog voice that was most evident on TTYW.

Technically at least his modern day vocals are better.

If I were you, at this point I'd accept Interference meme status and crack Satellite of Love jokes myself.

Bono's 1987 vocals were very dry and raspy at times, especially on the 3rd leg of the tour. And that's not to mention the famous kermit the frog voice that was most evident on TTYW.

Technically at least his modern day vocals are better.

This is an important factor in the debate.

Perhaps Bono on his best night in 1987 > Bono on his best night in 2017, but he's more consistent from night to night now?

This is an important factor in the debate.

Perhaps Bono on his best night in 1987 > Bono on his best night in 2017, but he's more consistent from night to night now?

Sure you could make the argument that in 2017 he is more consistent from night to night though more songs are performed in a lower key.

And yes he was croaky on and off throughout the original JT tour. I was there opening night when we he could not sing really at all but recovered a few nights later. And I was there for the final Tempe shows and his voice was rough too at times but there were also some fine performances. Overall the inconsistencies in the 1987 performances were kinda disappointing as I think that 1984-1986 is really Bono's vocal peak including the recording of the JT album.

None, but they are definitely better than on some of the intervening tours. With or Without You is a big one, he's finally singing that properly after about two decades of mumbling.

I agree, do you have any tips on the best one so far from this tour?

I would say that some of the versions on IE was really amazing:

Also to all of you JT loving people, you had to listen to this version from IE on Streets. He hasnt sing like this since early 90s:
Starts in 6:10:

Overall the inconsistencies in the 1987 performances were kinda disappointing as I think that 1984-1986 is really Bono's vocal peak including the recording of the JT album.

1986 has to be one of his best year ever, sure he got alot of raw power on Lovetown, but even Lovetown is beaten by COH tour performences.
NYD, Bad and SBS was superb on that tour.

Last edited:
Was listening to this concert from 1987 just now, and to be honest he doesn't sound all that great vocally..

Interesting debate though.. I do feel vocals now are generally more focused (beter?) than during I&E

Consistency is much better now.
Most of the songs are better played and sang right now than they were in 1987. Of course I miss some high notes from Bono but he's still nailing powerful performances though.

Agree with the consistency, JT87 wasn't his finest hour in live singing... Lovetown much better. I have to say that he's hitting some pretty impressive notes this Euro leg though.

It's such a different voice now that it's really hard to compare. I'm just glad that he recovered from the vocal issues he suffered throughout Popmart and Elevation. There were some real cringe-worthy performances on both tours.

The snippet at 3:35 sound badass. This is probably from a well known song but I can't make it out. Anyone know? I know this isn't a JT song but it came to mind.

4:07. While obviously not impressive in the sense that it's a "big" note, how immersed he is in the song is exceptional...and my favorite delivery of this snippet. There is something surreal and "trippy" in how it's delivered which reminds me a bit of Macphisto. For some reason, I also love laughs in songs (like Wire) and this sarcastic one works in this context.

5:00 "We're so sick of it". While I know this was posted in another thread, the entire performance is exceptional.

4:30.

5:05

U2 Trip Through Your Wires, Dublin 2017-07-22 - U2gigs.com

6:23

There have been some exceptional renditions of IGC but there was one, in particular, I have to find still...

I miss the lower range of 1987. Bono has lost a lot of that and has to rely solely on his mid to upper ranges. He sounded great live in London but the mid to upper range can often be perceived as shouting.

That's why I'd love an Achtung Baby tour in 2021, the majority of that album is sang in a lower range

The snippet at 3:35 sound badass. This is probably from a well known song but I can't make it out. Anyone know? I know this isn't a JT song but it came to mind.

Honestly I think it sounds kind of awful. It's a garbled snippet of Patti Smith's Rock N Roll ******.

Honestly I think it sounds kind of awful. It's a garbled snippet of Patti Smith's Rock N Roll ******.

While my initial reservations are still intact, this tour grew on me in some respects...and I think you went in the opposite direction somehow?

While my initial reservations are still intact, this tour grew on me in some respects...and I think you went in the opposite direction somehow?

Quite right. I think JT is great and performed well but the rest of the show is a waste of time. To my surprise I now find myself hoping Australia gets EI rather than JT, as appears likely.

Quite right. I think JT is great and performed well but the rest of the show is a waste of time. To my surprise I now find myself hoping Australia gets EI rather than JT, as appears likely.

For a diehard fan, I get that the "third act" might mostly be considered a waste. The "first act", however, warhorses or not, is offering us some of the most inspired versions of these songs we've heard in ages.

That can't be a complete waste...

I find Exit to be superior in this tour, vocally and musically to that of '87......pretty much in all aspects.

It is thematically consistent as well which I think really adds a lot to the song.

There just seems to be more anger and intensity to the 2017 performances. I've become a fan of this song now more than I've ever been.

While I'm really not a fan of the musical arrangement of RHMT, I find the vocals to be excellent. Far exceeded my expectations.

For a diehard fan, I get that the "third act" might mostly be considered a waste. The "first act", however, warhorses or not, is offering us some of the most inspired versions of these songs we've heard in ages.

That can't be a complete waste...

Yeah, I did enjoy the first act at the shows I attended. SBS worked well as an opener - not sure I'd have given a shit if it were later in the show but it was a good shot of energy to get the set off to a solid start. NYD is sounding fantastic, and you only turn up your nose at Bad when you're robbed of ASOH. Pride was flat though and I'm so fucking bored of it. I also felt like there was less chanting of the "oh oh oh oh" part by the crowd than I've experienced in the past. I found it so forgettable that a couple of nights I forgot to put it in U2gigs when I added the set after the show.

Back
Top Bottom