2017 Joshua Tree Tour Stage Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
...Thought after all these years I'd swing back in and start this thread. Looks like an end-stadium box with a kidney, or spleen B-stage coming out to the GA field.

Surprised no 2017 Joshua Tree Tour section yet here (admins: ?!?) expect this thread to be moved there...

I am excited to say this is the tour I have been waiting 30 years for - love this!

Here we go!!!

Judging by the seating charts, the B-stage is bigger than the main stage - although that might not be the case.

69qpep.jpg

:wink:

From the look of the stage and tour theme, I'm guessing that B-Stage resembles a 'Joshua Tree'. :up:

GA looks like a free-for-all with no splits. Not sure I'm up for that. I like a little break in the crowd for sightlines.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Stage Design

The stage design looks different on almost each venue page in stubhub, im not trusting anything not official.

It's surprising they seem to go for 180 in stead of 360.
I thought 360 gave some HUGE advantages over 180:
- more people close to the stage and, more importantly,
- much better sound!!! The sound in Amsterdam Arena for example was incredible and I can tell you that the sound in the seats sucks in a 180 setup.

You would imagine U2 gwould go for these big advantages! Besides, they would sell 20% more tickets!!

I'm sure the relative small amount of shows has something to do with the stage setup this time. I don't anticipate there being a super awesome stage show this time given the huge investment 360 was. They would certainly lose money on any tour that is this small if they had to fab out a 360 stage. That setup was extraordinarily expensive. I don't have the numbers in front of me but they had to tour for a long time just to pay that part off (if they even did). From what I've seen, it seems like this was a quickly devised plan (by U2 standards) and they are planning to go back to the I/E format for another tour after this one.

It's surprising they seem to go for 180 in stead of 360.
I thought 360 gave some HUGE advantages over 180:
- more people close to the stage and, more importantly,
- much better sound!!! The sound in Amsterdam Arena for example was incredible and I can tell you that the sound in the seats sucks in a 180 setup.

You would imagine U2 gwould go for these big advantages! Besides, they would sell 20% more tickets!!

I'm sure the relative small amount of shows has something to do with the stage setup this time. I don't anticipate there being a super awesome stage show this time given the huge investment 360 was. They would certainly lose money on any tour that is this small if they had to fab out a 360 stage. That setup was extraordinarily expensive. I don't have the numbers in front of me but they had to tour for a long time just to pay that part off (if they even did). From what I've seen, it seems like this was a quickly devised plan (by U2 standards) and they are planning to go back to the I/E format for another tour after this one.

Good point! Must be the costs then...
I was already imagining a huge Joshua Tree in the middle with PA system hanging on the branches of the tree :) Now that would be kitsch :)

I think the main stage will resemble the original JT tour stage except the big tree mural will be replaced with video screens. B stage will obviously be shaped like a Joshua Tree.

I think the main stage will resemble the original JT tour stage except the big tree mural will be replaced with video screens. B stage will obviously be shaped like a Joshua Tree.
Agreed. I also doubt there will be a roof over their heads.

Hm....interesting. Looking at the dates, doesn't look like they have any in covered stadiums.

Vancouver, Houston and Dallas are covered I believe.

Another stupid factoid; BC Place Stadium in Vancouver and Croke Park Dublin are the only 2 venues they're playing this year that were also played on the original JT Tour.

Croke Park shows a barrier in the GA field. Any thoughts as to whether this will happen anywhere else? I can't recall a stadium show in the states recently with a fully open GA - perhaps due to safety concerns. Springsteen uses a barrier between for the first quarter or so of the floor. Even with an enlarged B-stage (Tree-stage?), do you think they either have to separate it or somewhat undersell it? :hmm:

Another stupid factoid; BC Place Stadium in Vancouver and Croke Park Dublin are the only 2 venues they're playing this year that were also played on the original JT Tour.
/QUOTE]

I like this info... not stupid at all. The boys have endured the collapse of existing stadiums to make way for the rise of new ones.

Vancouver, Houston and Dallas are covered I believe.

The Texas stadiums have retractable roofs

Based on the seat maps that B stage could be huge, and come out further than you think (that's what she said). They might be a good 30 to 40 yards extended from the main stage...could make getting there super early for GA almost not that necessary?

Back
Top Bottom