2017 Joshua Tree Tour Stage Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So "Shadows and Tall Trees" gets a snippet?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I saved the tour promo images from the website and found that the tour logo (not the beach photo, the tree graphic one) has a time stamp of December 13, 2016.

I also realized that the orange and gray trees in that graphic may reveal info about the stage design (shadow and all that). Matches up with what Willie was saying.

I saved the tour promo images from the website and found that the tour logo (not the beach photo, the tree graphic one) has a time stamp of December 13, 2016.

I also realized that the orange and gray trees in that graphic may reveal info about the stage design (shadow and all that). Matches up with what Willie was saying.
That's actually a good catch... He did specifically say the "shadow of the tree"

joshuatree2017_logo.jpg

"but the shadow of the tree is on the pitch"

also said it wouldn't be the traditional end stage set band box set up... i'm wondering if the tree will be part of the stage... maybe the center piece with big video screens on either side, with the b stage as sort of the "shadow" of the tree stretching onto the field.

will be interesting to see some schematics when the time comes... somebody in belgium go look for a giant tree being built.

Hmmm - a shadow of the tree on the B-Stage? Sure, but that seems kind of simple (obvious?) If it represents a shadow, then something is casting that shadow. Or is it a metaphor that the tree has come down?

Either way, a shadow of the tree painted on the stage just seems too basic for Willie and it seems like most people in front of the stage would not be able to see it that well.

I do like the fact he says it will be end-stadium simple with references to the 87 stage, but with video.

I'm really curious now.

But, easier to go to Lititz, PA where they will be fabricating the deck (and most likely rehearsing, shhh...) than Belgium.

The stage design looks different on almost each venue page in stubhub, im not trusting anything not official.

I agree. It's hard to say until they release something official.

Sad I'm missing this one! We booked tickets to Boston (wrong dates for U2) to see Nick Cave!!

The great sound on 360 was because of the sound system they used, not because it was in the round, so as long as they use the same system that shouldn't change.

360 was a massive undertaking... Certainly not something that they could easily pull off on a short tour like this. I don't discount the possibility that they do something like that again, but it would have to be for a full, multi-year tour.
It's naive to think that being in the round did not contribute to the great sound. The fact they were able to have 4 columns of speakers pointing in four different directions absolutely contributed to the quality sound. Yes the system was amazing but the layout helped , No different than the way they laid out the speakers on the i&e tour. Anytime you can add speakers in positions to fill the venue rather than having them situated at one end it will be better quality sound regardless of the system.

I'm all for early arrivals being unnecessary.

It was entirely unnecessary to line up on 360... you could arrive at 6 and mosey right onto the inner circle. Hoping for a similar arrangement this go around

Lining up early was actually 100% necessary depending on where you wanted to be. If you wanted to be on the rail on the outside of the inner circle than you absolutely had to line up early.. As someone who saw the show from inside and outside the circle, the rail on the outside was the far greater spot to view the show from in my opinion but like I said if you didn't line up early for that you would never get that spot. You are correct about being able to walk into the cirlce though no problem without lining up early.

It's naive to think that being in the round did not contribute to the great sound. The fact they were able to have 4 columns of speakers pointing in four different directions absolutely contributed to the quality sound. Yes the system was amazing but the layout helped , No different than the way they laid out the speakers on the i&e tour. Anytime you can add speakers in positions to fill the venue rather than having them situated at one end it will be better quality sound regardless of the system.

Lining up early was actually 100% necessary depending on where you wanted to be. If you wanted to be on the rail on the outside of the inner circle than you absolutely had to line up early.. As someone who saw the show from inside and outside the circle, the rail on the outside was the far greater spot to view the show from in my opinion but like I said if you didn't line up early for that you would never get that spot. You are correct about being able to walk into the cirlce though no problem without lining up early.
Yes, if you absolutely needed to be so close that you could smell Dallas Schoo's ball sweat, then sure - line up at 5am is a necessity. If all you were concerned about was being close and/or in the circle, it was not.

As for the in the round layout helping... JOH is on record stating that the stage layout, essentially an open end stage layout, made things harder and more complicated - not easier.

Interesting that they are setting up at nrg Stadium.
Wonder if they'll leave that set up there until they get to Houston (assuming multiple stage sets), or dismantle and rebuild it.
Nothing else at the stadium until U2 plays.

I imagine they'll dismantle. They tend to set up and break down these things a number of times, to practice and get it perfect for when it's time to take it on the road. I imagine pecking it into trucks and getting it on the road is something they'll want to run through.

I'm interested to see how far the b stage comes out. Looks to be about the 50 yard line, but it's hard to be sure from this angle. Looks like a TON of field space, and rail space for those inclined.

Biggest question will be where did the screen go... Is it the entire backdrop? It just the middle section? If it's the entire backdrop then the size certainly rivals PopMart. They didn't skimp, that's for sure.

Houston's a little surprising, but it's an indoor stadium out of the city center and away from Vancouver bridge tolls, so I guess it makes sense.

starting to get a tad excited.

I can't quite tell if it's a stripped down stage/production like the original JT tour or if it's going to be a monster production like PopMart. Anyone read anything on that?

Wasn't there a rumour going round that their going to use the biggest screen ever created? Sure I read that rumour. If they use the whole rig for a screen then there's a good chance that could be true

U2Songs posted this rendering of a possible stage layout after seeing the framing: u2songs | U2 The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Questions and Answers: Post Sale |

It sure seems likely that most (if not all) of the backdrop will be a massive screen.
I'm not sure what they're looking at... The rigging clearly goes back in a V / obtuse angle if you will... not into a square​/box.

The thing being lifted up could be cladding, or it could be the floor that's just propped up so that they can work underneath. I'm not totally sure.

Here's the interview with Willie

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...stage-designer-talks-joshua-tree-tour-w462515

I'm thinking the V section will be all video, and the outer sections will be the tree cladding... I wonder if there are any special designs to it that reflect light in different ways and all... It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Can't rule out that the entire thing is capable of projecting video until we see it in action. It's U2, after all

It some weird way I wonder if Willie Williams and U2 are paying tribute to Pop/Popmart 20th anniversary by building similar design. Willie has said in quite a few interviews that was his favorite design.

Either way stage looks awesome!

Back
Top Bottom