Turin #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...which honestly makes it even more contorted, because that speech begins about the refugee crisis and then only gets onto HIV via a Mandela quote.

I think next order of business is to fix the encore. I really like the first part of the show, and now with the addition of October and Zooropa the second part is really strong as well after a bit of fan fluff on the e-stage. But the closing is still kind of weak and all over the place.

I'd prefer the refugee speech earlier where it fits thematically and skip the HIV stuff this time around. But I don't suppose Bono is into skipping it or (red) anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

...which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Bad was played.

Sorry mate been drinking didn't quite make the connection that the comment was about bad,

I think next order of business is to fix the encore. I really like the first part of the show, and now with the addition of October and Zooropa the second part is really strong as well after a bit of fan fluff on the e-stage. But the closing is still kind of weak and all over the place.

I'd prefer the refugee speech earlier where it fits thematically and skip the HIV stuff this time around. But I don't suppose Bono is into skipping it or (red) anytime soon.

I agree, but I'm honestly not sure how I'd change it. BD is a staple and COBL doesn't seem to be close to going away for something else.

I agree, but I'm honestly not sure how I'd change it. BD is a staple and COBL doesn't seem to be close to going away for something else.

You can keep them both but not in the encore. It's just blah. The Encore should be Bad ---> Streets. You could even follow Streets with California. Give that song a chance to shine for crying out loud.

I don't really think the problem is COBL/BD. COBL (as I wrote earlier in this thread) is expendable and probably needn't be a staple for a third tour in a row, but it's a good encore opener and is received well. BD is obviously going nowhere and provides a big uplifting note for the encore. The problem is the closer. Even if One/ISHFWILF must stick around in the encore (there isn't really place for either in the main set), something else should follow. This tour lacks a standout closer - and this is more glaring than on other tours without a standout closer, because in those cases there was a longer encore that didn't have a perfunctory feel. See Vertigo, where usually six songs were played over two encores. The final song changed up a bit, but most choices were good and it rarely felt like the band were just bashing out a song to get the show over with. 40, Bad, Kite, AIWIY, One Tree Hill, all those songs are fantastic closers, and there was a point to Vertigo x2 even if it was a stupid point.

The other problem is the lack of a new song in the encore. So far, this is the only U2 tour ever to not feature a new song in the encore (the UF Tour being the only other to not feature a new song regularly, but it did happen on a few occasions). Full band EBW and California are the two obvious choices to me, or if they can nail Troubles it could be an excellent closer in the LIB vein.

WOWY would be a much better closer than One or ISHF. Maybe trying Sleep Like A Baby in an encore paired with Discotheque and Velvet Dress. Sort of like what they did on Popmart. Discotheque-Velvet Dress-Sleep-WOWY.
Of course, the chances of that ever happening are slim to none.

I was thinking about WOWY too. WOWY closes the main set well, but now it feels tacked on; Pride is also a good closer and it brings to a hopeful end the sequence that begins with October. They don't even have to change the set beyond moving WOWY; an encore of COBL/BD/One-or-ISHFWILF/WOWY would be better than what they're doing now.

While we're at it, why not put COBL into rotation with NYD? It would get a great crowd response and sit comfortably with the Hawking video.

I think California could be a solid closer. They did it at the Roxy and based on the number of random gigs it's been played at it's a song they like but just has no natural place in the main set. Worth a shot at least, surprised it's only been played 3 times on tour.

I don't really think the problem is COBL/BD. COBL (as I wrote earlier in this thread) is expendable and probably needn't be a staple for a third tour in a row, but it's a good encore opener and is received well. BD is obviously going nowhere and provides a big uplifting note for the encore. The problem is the closer. Even if One/ISHFWILF must stick around in the encore (there isn't really place for either in the main set), something else should follow. This tour lacks a standout closer - and this is more glaring than on other tours without a standout closer, because in those cases there was a longer encore that didn't have a perfunctory feel. See Vertigo, where usually six songs were played over two encores. The final song changed up a bit, but most choices were good and it rarely felt like the band were just bashing out a song to get the show over with. 40, Bad, Kite, AIWIY, One Tree Hill, all those songs are fantastic closers, and there was a point to Vertigo x2 even if it was a stupid point.

The other problem is the lack of a new song in the encore. So far, this is the only U2 tour ever to not feature a new song in the encore (the UF Tour being the only other to not feature a new song regularly, but it did happen on a few occasions). Full band EBW and California are the two obvious choices to me, or if they can nail Troubles it could be an excellent closer in the LIB vein.

I think One/ISHFWILF are the two best closers since Walk On - discounting the occasions that they play '40'.

Quick question, why is there spontaneously clapping halfway through October, is there something happening on the screen - a message perhaps? Happened on both nights now.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Better than Kite, Bad, One Tree Hill, Out of Control and All I Want Is You?

I saw Kite in Adelaide 2006 - it was a good moment, but tailor made for an Australian audience.

One Tree Hill I can't speak for, but I would say that it likely had a similar application to Kite.

Bad and All I Want Is You... well you might have me there, I hadn't considered them.

My experience of karaoke One was magical though, and every time I listen to ISHFWILF on streams I am surprised by its effectiveness. Both feel like gospel moments, and thematically end shows in an almost perfect way - then when they whip out '40', they are able to elevate it just that little bit further.

I wouldn't change anything about these setlist, save for more dynamism in the e-stage rotations and maybe swapping WOWY and BD around.

Quick question, why is there spontaneously clapping halfway through October, is there something happening on the screen - a message perhaps? Happened on both nights now.

Educated guess: relief clapping for The Edge doing it well (the night before he messed it a little, most audience was present to both concerts...)

(the first night I don't remember it...)

the only thing right now I would change is getting vertigo to the e-stage after mysterious ways and play three oldies instead in the beginning...and put bad or all I want is you in the encore slot and combine it with WOWY..I love the october-bullet-zooropa-streets-pride sequence!!

something like this

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
Elec. co/Gloria
Out Of Control/2 Hearts
I Will Follow/11 o'clock
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday (full band)
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World
Invisible
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Vertigo
Every Breaking Wave
October
Bullet The Blue Sky
Zooropa
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
----
COBL
Beautiful day
one/Still haven't found
Bad
All I want is you
With or without you

every night would kick ass

Gotta disagree about COBL being a good opener for the encore. At the four shows I saw COBL was not a good encore opener. It just falls flat. Actually I only saw it 3 times because Miracle Drug was played once and though that fell even flatter I enjoyed it better personally but that doesn't mean I'd replace COBL with it because clearly the crowd at large won't enjoy it as much. they need a new song to open the encore with. Bad would work great.

As for Troubles being a closer.... NO. It just not that good live. Die hard fans will blindly argue it's fantastic but it kills the mood in the venue. It doesn't work live. I think it's a great song but in the live arena setting it's not.

Full band EBW would be great as a closer probably. California should be played in the encore but not as the closer I don't think. It definitely should follow Streets though. It's just so weird they've all but ignored that song in my opinion.

You're right though they are missing a stand out closer this tour.

the only thing right now I would change is getting vertigo to the e-stage after mysterious ways and play three oldies instead in the beginning...and put bad or all I want is you in the encore slot and combine it with WOWY..I love the october-bullet-zooropa-streets-pride sequence!!

something like this

Elec. co/Gloria
Out Of Control/2 Hearts
I Will Follow/11 o'clock
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Raised By Wolves
Invisible
Mysterious Ways
Vertigo
Every Breaking Wave
October
Bullet The Blue Sky
Zooropa
----
COBL
Beautiful day
one/Still haven't found
Bad
All I want is you
With or without you

You're suggesting closing the shows with in essence 4 slow songs in a row? No thanks.

As for Troubles being a closer.... NO. It just not that good live. Die hard fans will blindly argue it's fantastic but it kills the mood in the venue. It doesn't work live. I think it's a great song but in the live arena setting it's not.

...which is why I wrote "if they can nail" it. Obviously at the moment it's not up to the task, and maybe it won't be, but I think the potential is there for it to hold down a LIB-like closing role if executed properly.

There really doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious candidate for a closer with a compelling reason for its use. I guess it's a question of how the band want to use the encore. To play some big hits they can't work into the main set? (One, ISHFWILF, formerly Streets, now BD.) To play some fan favourites to reward the audience? (Bad or 40 when they're done.) To make some sort of social or political point? (Mother And Child Reunion, the intro to COBL if not the song itself, formerly Streets.)

Perhaps a better encore would be a more spontaneous one. After running through two very heavily thematic sets, the encore should be entirely rotational - whatever they feel like playing that night, feeding off the crowd reaction. COBL can probably be dropped, move BD and One/ISHFWILF to somewhere in the main set because they "need" to be played, and use all the songs that are currently filtering through the various rotational slots to inform the encore. Then there's no need for a defined closer. One night it's Desire/Elevation/OOC because it's a bit of a loose fun-times show. Next it's THBAO/Gloria/40 because the early stuff went off. Angel/Stuck/AIWIY because it's a sort of singalong night. You get the idea. They probably wouldn't do it, but it would be cool. "You've just spent two hours following a big narrative with heavy themes, now let's have fun together for the last few songs."

^....actually, I'd be totally on board with that. Good suggestion. It's pretty common for a lot of bands too, I reckon. Will never happen of course :lol:

I saw Kite in Adelaide 2006 - it was a good moment, but tailor made for an Australian audience.

One Tree Hill I can't speak for, but I would say that it likely had a similar application to Kite.

Bad and All I Want Is You... well you might have me there, I hadn't considered them.

My experience of karaoke One was magical though, and every time I listen to ISHFWILF on streams I am surprised by its effectiveness. Both feel like gospel moments, and thematically end shows in an almost perfect way - then when they whip out '40', they are able to elevate it just that little bit further.

I wouldn't change anything about these setlist, save for more dynamism in the e-stage rotations and maybe swapping WOWY and BD around.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Nine years on I'm still reminiscing about Kite closing. That was otherworldly and probably the best thing I have ever witnessed live (maybe aside from Pride-Streets at that same show and Outkast playing Da Art of Storytellin pt 1). One Tree Hill, even if it is "tailor-made" or whatever, by very virtue of being One Tree Hill, it rules.

I'm not as down on One as some people here and I think I'd dig a singalong version of it a lot - I really enjoyed ISHFWILF in that vein on 360. But these encores seem really shitty to me. BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW, of course.

But you cannot tell me there's nothing you'd change. That's a lie. Even this tour's staunchest defenders, mikal and KUEF35869743809T74097758370 would have things they'd change.

(Semi realistic/optimistic)

I'd try something like

One/ISHF to close the main set

COBL
Mother and Child Reunion (snippet) / Beautiful Day
California
New Year's Day (Bono chants "I will be with you again" a few extra times as the band walks off the stage)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

nothing happening on the screen really..... just that Edge needed support the first night, he messed up big time.... by the way, it wasn't his night, he messed up the solo in Until the End of the World (Bono even said "Oh Edge"), quite funny. He also stopped 1 second too late at the end of Ordinary love. Really not his night, but funny at the same time.
Yesterday was much better from the audio I heard. Band much more at ease and less stressed. Opening nights are never the best ones.

something like this

Elec. co/Gloria
Out Of Control/2 Hearts
I Will Follow/11 o'clock
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Raised By Wolves
Invisible
Mysterious Ways
Vertigo
Every Breaking Wave
October
Bullet The Blue Sky
Zooropa
----
COBL
Beautiful day
one/Still haven't found
Bad
All I want is you
With or without you

I'd move Vertigo to the encore after COBL. It would breathe life into that encore and COBL/Vertigo is a perfect combo, much like Streets/IWF back in the day.

Miracle
OOC/Electric Co
Gloria/2Hearts
IWF
Iris
Cedarwood
SFS
Sbs
Rbw
UTEOW
Invisible
Real Thing
MW/Wild Horses/TCB
E-stage 1
E-stage 2
EBW
October
Bullet
Zooropa
Streets
Pride
Bad/All I Want Is You/MOS/NYD/Troubles
encore
COBL
Vertigo
BD
WOWY/40

I know it seems like a hit parade late, but it's better than what they're doing now.

Back
Top Bottom