Turin #1 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been one of the few defenders of the Paul Simon/Streets transition, but holy shit, this is fantastic. Yeah, this is better.

For the entire Elevation tour they played Wake Up Dead Man incomplete and no one bats an eyelid.

Good point. :up: plus Zooropa's right there on the bands printed set list so can't really argue with that.

I'm a little disappointed after 4 years listening to the 360 Sao Paulo performance hoping I'd get to hear it played like that some day but I'm sure this will sound great.

For the entire Elevation tour they played Wake Up Dead Man incomplete and no one bats an eyelid. Heck...Bono doesn't even sing New Year's Day in its entirety.

MY WHOLE LIFE IS A SHAM!

wake up dead man was clearly a shortened version meant as an intro to Walk On, not as a full song. this version of zooropa is the same. it's meant as a bridge... much like the abridged version of The Hands That Built America was a bridge between Bullet and Pride. nobody argued that, either.

Difference between Hands and Zooropa is the fact that Hands was about :45 seconds and Zooropa is nearly 3 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's not a "full performance", no, but we'll never get a full performance of Zooropa; the studio version is six minutes long split into three parts, the first of which works on the album of course but probably wouldn't live. So to call it a snippet just because it's not a full performance is stupid.

You're right, we'll never get a "full" performance of Zooropa in the sense that they'll never trot out a full 6:31 version complete with live piano intro from The Edge. But 360 was a complete as we'll get, with the intro being played through the PA with those voices asking questions as an interlude, which was a good way of getting around that. The 360 version (South America before they cut even more lyrics in the US because they're silly) is pretty much the standard to compare all other future performances.

Apart from the lyrics cut to keep it slightly shorter, to spare the casusals presumably, it can safely be regarded as a more or less complete performance as they played both parts I+II (not counting the piano intro) as opposed to just part 2 as they're doing now and back in 1993.

And the "it doesn't sound like Zooropa musically" argument is stupid as well. It's just a re-working. Does Running to Stand Still on ZooTV not count as a performance of Running to Stand Still?

Of course it counts as a performance! :lol: I think this Zooropa argument is different because they've taken the second of two very different parts of a song and stripped it back considerably as an intro to another song, rather than a whole new full band arrangement like Running To Stand Still, Crazy Tonight etc.

Sorry I do semi agree with you about it being closer to a full song, especially as they're listing it on the setlists, but this wouldn't even be a discussion if they'd gone through with calling it Zooropa I+II on the album haha - it would make it so much easier, and nobody would be silly enough to argue it. Like if they played Into The Heart without An Cat Dubh for some weird reason.

Last edited:
At least this isn't the awful muddle that Peace On Earth was on Elevation. It began as a short intro to Walk On but as the leg progressed Bono sang more and more of it. There are three performances that we count separately on U2gigs because he sang over half of the song - in fact I think around two-thirds of it. In deciding the borderline cases I made my rule at least half of the lyrics being sung to music separate from any other song.

Heck...Bono doesn't even sing New Year's Day in its entirety.

MY WHOLE LIFE IS A SHAM!

SHIT. I'm going to go change every single one of the 700 performances on NYD to snippets on U2gigs!

And I guess this means SBS is just a snippet too this tour. Bono doesn't sing all the lyrics, it's missing some of its album instrumentation, and it's just a segue into Wolves...

much like the abridged version of The Hands That Built America was a bridge between Bullet and Pride. nobody argued that, either.

Actually late in the first leg we copped some complaints about that on U2gigs. The folks at U2Start wanted us to change it to full song.

Difference between Hands and Zooropa is the fact that Hands was about :45 seconds and Zooropa is nearly 3 minutes.

Plus Bono sang literally one actual lyric from Hands.

Sorry I do semi agree with you about it being closer to a full song, especially as they're listing it on the setlists, but this wouldn't even be a discussion if they'd gone through with calling it Zooropa I+II on the album haha - it would make it so much easier, and nobody would be silly enough to argue it. Like if they played Into The Heart without An Cat Dubh for some weird reason.

If they'd done that, I think that for this tour we'd end up with a weird listing thanks to the use of "what do you want?" as the link between Zooropa and Streets. We'd either have:

Zooropa II / Zooropa I (snippet)
Streets

or

Zooropa II
Zooropa I (snippet) / Streets

:lol:

One thing you can guarantee is that if U2 made Zooropa today (lol not a fucking chance) it would be called Zooropa (Dream Out Loud) (Parts I, II and II)

Back
Top Bottom