Stockholm #3 Setlist Party (Postponement Discussion)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Technically, a postponement isn't a cancellation. But yeah, the whole situation sucks and is also kind of scary :sigh:

U2gigs tweeted this morning that someone from U2's stage crew said that they'll have to work very hard getting the whole equipment to Berlin in time for the first show. It makes me wonder if there's only one stage, which would be a logistical nightmare.

I hope everything will be ok tonight and tomorrow and I also hope the first Berlin show will go ahead as planned. I'm leaving for Berlin on Wednesday. It's a bit of a sick feeling after everything that happened tonight. I'm sure the band isn't feeling too well either. Still, security is the most important thing.

Yeah there is only one stage so far. This years tour has had a pretty relaxed schedule for the setup/tear down crew. Only 10 setups in NA, 12 in Europe, and at least 2 days off between every city.

This will really cause the crew, truckers, everyone to really hustle. The other problem is there is a body of water between Stockholm and Berlin, which also slows the process. The trucks probably have to go through Denmark and down into Germany.

As far as playing 4 shows in 5 nights in 2 different venues, this is not something U2 does anymore. There are many examples on elevation, a few on Vertigo, and only 1 instance of this on 360, but that was because the NYC show had to be moved closer to the Boston shows to allow for football schedule. But there were also 3 claws so it wasn't a huge deal. I think the band will be okay, it's the crew and truckers I'd worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

This is what I can make of it.

Summary:

The guy who took the gun with him last night was an actual policeman (a stupid one ?) and has been identified according to this paper. (no confirmation of the police)

Long story short. Dude forgot he had weapon on him. Fucked up the night for many people.. :uhoh:

omg what a total eejit :ohmy:

It seems it was an off-duty and competle and utter fucking idiot of a police officer that brought his Gun inside the arena, for convinience. That shit head is hopefully gonna be sued a hefty sum.

Well apparently he showed the gun to security out of good will. (hence security knew someone had a gun with them in the first place) And onside security where fine with it at first.

Live nation crew then got a hold of the story and NOPE'd the gig. (As they should, there is no reason for an off duty policeman to carry a gun into a crowded place like that)

It seems it was an off-duty and competle and utter fucking idiot of a police officer that brought his Gun inside the arena, for convinience. That shit head is hopefully gonna be sued a hefty sum.

they should let the fans line up and smack him one by one :D

Well apparently he showed the gun to security out of good will. (hence security knew someone had a gun with them in the first place) And onside security where fine with it at first.

Live nation crew then got a hold of the story and NOPE'd the gig. (As they should, there is no reason for an off duty policeman to carry a gun into a crowded place like that)

:up:

ps- your profile pic is adorable!!

well i for one am relieved it was just down to stupidity and nothing more sinister as initially rumoured/reported, but still infuriating for all concerned i'm sure....

This has gotta be on of the biggest epic fails ever done by a single person. That is just a monumental fuck up and epic fail that wasnt harmful.

" Oh hey... I still have my gun on me. Ah well...
I'll just take it into the venue... If I say I'm a police officer, nobody will mind right? "

:lmao:

Thanks Mama cass! I could've only dreamed about having the chance to be so lucky with having the band in my life.
Let alone this cute pic with Edge.

This has gotta be on of the biggest epic fails ever done by a single person. That is just a monumental fuck up and epic fail that wasnt harmful.

Honestly, the guy should be sued for all the extra expenses that both the band, venue and individuals hve to make because of this... that'll make sure he's not gonna be this much of a dipshit again, he'll be too broke to ever go to a U2 gig!

Stockholm #3 Setlist Party

I feel really bad for those that can't make it to tomorrow's show, it seems that there's a lot of people who won't be around. One thing screwed up the whole night.

I would have thought that U2's rider would specify security requirements for venues (handheld metal detectors and bag checks at all entrances, etc.), but I assume they aren't as strict as other artists and let the venues do what they feel is safe.

Last edited:
Should we continue in this thread for the setlist party tonight or make a new one? Since this one was baptised to 3rd gig...

Ah, fuck it I'll just make a new thread. This one deserves hits own. And it helps avoid any confusion.

In the US I've seen uniformed Police that were armed inside venue, don't recall seeing it at any U2 show I've seen on both sides of the border. Saw it 2 weeks ago at the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle.

I would have thought that U2's rider would specify security requirements for venues (handheld metal detectors and bag checks at all entrances, etc.), but I assume they aren't as strict as other artists and let the venues do what they feel is safe.

There's u2 fans that haven't had too much trouble sneaking in big zoom camera lenses, quality HD camcorders and expensive quality audio recording devices.

I have wondered Guy's opinion on the matter. Madonna has a heavy security detail(basically fans never get near her other than the odd red carpet event) and she does get threats with some frequency(apparently Russians weren't happy with her on the last tour). Some of this was relayed to Arena security for the Vancouver show.

Security depends on the Venue and the artist. I've been to shows, like say Metallica, where there are metal detectors and armed off-duty but uniformed LAPD. The department allows venues to hire LAPD officers as security, they do this mostly at sporting events, but I've seen them at some shows as well.

U2 gigs, no metal detectors, just the standard bag search and pat down. At Coachella, they do a thorough search and a very through pat down (mostly searching for illegal substances). So it varies.

I imagine some artists will have security in the riders, but I also think it's up to the venue and their specific concerns regarding the crowd.

Security depends on the Venue and the artist. I've been to shows, like say Metallica, where there are metal detectors and armed off-duty but uniformed LAPD. The department allows venues to hire LAPD officers as security, they do this mostly at sporting events, but I've seen them at some shows as well.

U2 gigs, no metal detectors, just the standard bag search and pat down. At Coachella, they do a thorough search and a very through pat down (mostly searching for illegal substances). So it varies.

I imagine some artists will have security in the riders, but I also think it's up to the venue and their specific concerns regarding the crowd.

I've been to shows where they make you "coat check" all cameras and even key chains. Maynard from Tool is known for militant security inside/outside the venue with no cameras allowed inside and 45 minutes to get in the building is normal.

There's also cities like Detroit and Washington DC where "airport" security is normal. It's even it the odd high school in certain contentious neighbourhoods.

I recall the Vancouver COBL video shoot being very thorough security when i attended. But that was because camera flashes from fans would mess up the close ups. Plus fans got to see things like Bono getting the once over from the hair dresser that i'm sure they don't want on youtube.

In the US I've seen uniformed Police that were armed inside venue, don't recall seeing it at any U2 show I've seen on both sides of the border. Saw it 2 weeks ago at the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle.

Well... if they were uniformed in the US, then yes, they were armed. That's fairly standard operating procedure. I don't recall seeing police officers inside the garden, but armed NJ State Troopers were a regular presence at Giants Stadium shows. They all congregated outside the player/GA entrances "just in case."

There are always armned National Guardsmen patrolling Penn Station with M16s, which sits just below MSG. :shrug:

Sent from my SM-N920T using U2 Interference mobile app

U2 gigs, no metal detectors, just the standard bag search and pat down.

I like that you call this standard. Australian gigs? There'll be a half-arsed bag search if the venue's a decent size and that's usually about it.

Most of us over here just get saluted by a beep of the ticket scanner and a nod from the person who is supposed to search you.

here in France it can be really random - have been to large gigs where you literally just open your handbag for security and they take a peek inside, and then tiny festivals where they will pat you down

however, they will ALWAYS confiscate your bottle caps

I've never experienced any security checks at an Italian concert. People bring in glass bottles and stuff, no one cares. In Germany, usually security checks are more rigid, sometimes you have to empty your whole bag. I wonder if we'll be seeing more rigid checks now after the Stockholm incident. It will result in the whole entrance procedure taking much longer, I guess it's better to go to the arena earlier than planned.

\
however, they will ALWAYS confiscate your bottle caps

:lol: Ha, that's why I carrry about 5 of them in various places. Never have been stopped from ending up with a capped bottle of water. I usually keep the cap on the bottle when I walk in, show the guard I"m tossing the cap out and they accept it and let me move on... then a few meters onwards I get another cap out of my pocket, put it on and nobody cares.

:lol: Ha, that's why I carrry about 5 of them in various places. Never have been stopped from ending up with a capped bottle of water. I usually keep the cap on the bottle when I walk in, show the guard I"m tossing the cap out and they accept it and let me move on... then a few meters onwards I get another cap out of my pocket, put it on and nobody cares.

haha my daughter does that - she puts spare caps in her socks haha, however, she's now realised she still needs to play dumb and keep a cap on the bottle during the security checks because the one time she took the cap off ready, the security guard eyed her and made her pour her water into a plastic cup and confiscated the empty bottle - must've realised she was a festival pro lmfao!

haha my daughter does that - she puts spare caps in her socks haha, however, she's now realised she still needs to play dumb and keep a cap on the bottle during the security checks because the one time she took the cap off ready, the security guard eyed her and made her pour her water into a plastic cup and confiscated the empty bottle - must've realised she was a festival pro lmfao!

:lmao: It also has to be said that the security we (me and GG) got at our U2 gigs, was laid back. People couldv'e snuck in SLR's , bottles with caps, etc .

Alot of tickets available after refunds to the rescheduled concert. I am worried that tonights concert will be not very good because of this... :(

I wish I could fly to Stockholm for this one. Ought to be an interesting night.

Back
Top Bottom