*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Rehearsals In Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a mix of studio and previously recorded live tracks, maybe with a few tracks being played by crew members.

Not to mention nobody has seen them enter or exit the arena yet, and god knows people are watching.

And we have full songs, but nobody's heard Bono talking on mic between takes? Or stopping the takes mid song? Or letting the band play while he directs? It's not like we haven't heard recordings their rehearsals before. This doesn't sound like that.

Chances are it's just 1. techs dicking around, 2. the techs using recordings from U2's rehearsals recently in France. Or previously used/recorded tracks. There's no way they're actually there right now.

Let's be real it's not just the band who needs to rehearse. The crew needs to as well. The lighting and effects guys need to program all this shit and see what works and what doesn't. I'd bet the band is there or in town but doubt they've begun actual band rehearsals at this point. They probably have a lot of input into the stage production too obviously so that's probably all they re focusing on right now.

Willie Williams even tried to persuade them to play October --> White As Snow --> New Year's Day at the third Dublin show. If only. :sigh:

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

We were lining up early that day. Imagine the anticipation... I knew they played Electrical Storm in France a couple days earlier, they didn't play it in Amsterdam, I so wanted to hear that song as it's one of my favourites... to hear them rehearse it was awesome... but then the total let down when it wasn't played in favour of I will follow... damn. :grumpy:

Well, I suppose it's time to wander outside of PLEBA again...

As for actual band sightings in Vancouver, I wouldn't expect them until maybe 2 weeks before the opener. They've been rehearsing in Eze and probably Dublin as well. These "rehearsals" are mostly for crew and tech, as someone else had the foresight to point out. The band themselves are most likely either in Dublin or maybe London. I doubt they're still in Eze, although who knows at this point. Photos are more than welcomed if anyone has them!

Hard to believe it's here...only one more month! :hyper:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

My hope would be that we get the entire Songs Of Innocence album live in concert as well as Invisible, Lucifer Hands, Crystal Ballroom and Ordinary Love. That's 15 songs which leaves space for 7 or 8 older U2 songs.

My hope would be that we get the entire Songs Of Innocence album live in concert as well as Invisible, Lucifer Hands, Crystal Ballroom and Ordinary Love. That's 15 songs which leaves space for 7 or 8 older U2 songs.

Maybe over the course of 2 nights, but there isn't s chance in hell they play all 15 new songs in one night.

Let's be honest, there are very, very few people going to a U2 concert who want to hear all fifteen new songs at the expense of a big whack of older material. We may disagree vehemently on what that older material should be, but a show of fifteen new songs and just seven or eight other songs would have a very flat crowd.

Maybe over the course of 2 nights, but there isn't s chance in hell they play all 15 new songs in one night.

Let's be honest, there are very, very few people going to a U2 concert who want to hear all fifteen new songs at the expense of a big whack of older material. We may disagree vehemently on what that older material should be, but a show of fifteen new songs and just seven or eight other songs would have a very flat crowd.

Yep, I'm gonna agree there. Each night will have maybe 7-8 new songs and then a mix of older songs and of course the ones they always play (Streets, Pride, BD, WoWY, etc).

Anyone thinking SoE will come out alongside the tour? Giving them both SoI and SoE to pull new material from? *wishful thinking* The tour starts 4 days after Bono's bday. His birthday is a Sunday, leaving Monday and Tuesday for SoE to be released in both the UK and US/Canada (the market they are currently touring) with the show opener being the 14th, a Wednesday. It's a long shot but stranger things have happened. (Aka that surprise release of SoI)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Anyone thinking SoE will come out alongside the tour? Giving them both SoI and SoE to pull new material from? *wishful thinking* The tour starts 4 days after Bono's bday. His birthday is a Sunday, leaving Monday and Tuesday for SoE to be released in both the UK and US/Canada (the market they are currently touring) with the show opener being the 14th, a Wednesday. It's a long shot but stranger things have happened. (Aka that surprise release of SoI)

I have no reason to doubt that they're still aiming to get a new album out at some point during the tour... unless it's obvious later on when they're doing interviews that they're downplaying that sort of talk.

One thing I am a bit curious about is if they'll actually play any SOE songs on a whim during this leg of the tour. Considering that they did do that during the last tour, it's not out of the question here.

Last time I checked Stalking is considered a crime as well. And honestly, just trying to figure out where they are staying so you could run into one of the band members? Sounds a bit too far over the line to me.

When U2 want to meet their fans, they come out from where they are rehearsing, ie the stadium. Waiting there to meet them is fine. Going to figure out where they are in their private time, hotels, where their family is, while they're not even on tour yet? I consider that too far. Occasionally on tour they'll come out at the hotels and sign stuff too, that's a bit less stalkerish to me since they're actually on tour. But right now they're just rehearsing, which I consider in the same line as going to their homes in Dublin stalking the gates... Just no.

As long as they're on public property it's not stalking. So if they're waiting outside the hotel, it's ok!

I heard they are rehearsing Stateless

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Well, this show is in arenas and given the attendance levels and demand seem to be much lower now than on the last tour, the average fan in the seats is probably a die hard and might really enjoy a radical new set list which is what playing 15 new songs would be. I agree at a stadium show of 75,000 people, it would likely fall flat, but in a relatively tiny Arena of 18,000 die hard fans, it could work.
On the first leg of ZOO TV, the first 8 songs played each night came from Achtung Baby. They played 10 in total each night from Achtung Baby.

On the first leg of ZOO TV, the first 8 songs played each night came from Achtung Baby. They played 10 in total each night from Achtung Baby.

Achtung Baby also enjoyed a radically different reception to Songs of Innocence.

Well, this show is in arenas and given the attendance levels and demand seem to be much lower now than on the last tour, the average fan in the seats is probably a die hard and might really enjoy a radical new set list which is what playing 15 new songs would be. I agree at a stadium show of 75,000 people, it would likely fall flat, but in a relatively tiny Arena of 18,000 die hard fans, it could work.

No it would never work, unless it was advertised as such and the building was filled with only diehards. Even then not all the diehards would want that. I'm going to 4 shows and I'm going with casual at best fans. 4 shows 8 people, 50% of which have never been to U2 before. To think the vast majority who are attending are huge diehards isn't realistic.

Also on Zoo TV tour they only had 7 albums to draw from where as now they have 13. It wa a different time and era and the band was making a very conscious effort to change attitude, image and sound so it made perfect sense from an artistic stand point to have an Achtung Baby heavy setlist especially early in the show. They don't need to overload the set with brand new material in 2015 for the setlist to be fresh and appealing to diehards and casual fans alike. I would expect 5-6 new songs in the set and that's it and in my opinion that is just fine.

So to review

They're not playing 15 new songs per set.

Stay the fuck away from where the band sleeps you creeps.

There's a better chance of them playing 15 new songs per set then there is of Songs of Experience coming out at the start of the tour. Considering as there's no chance of them playing 15 new songs, as we've previously discussed, that would make the chances of another new album in the next month less than zero.

Carry on

I think you're vastly mistaken on how many die hard fans U2 has... I know a lot of 'average' fans that are going to these shows. They want to hear songs like Streets (well we all do too of course), One, SBS, WOWY and yes, Beautiful Day and Vertigo. They wouldn't care for rare material, as much as we'd rejoice in it, nor for them to play the entire new album on one night. It would fall flat, especially since the die hard fans also have different opinions on how much SOI they want to hear... Being a die hard fan doesn't make you auto love everything they release.

We were lining up early that day. Imagine the anticipation... I knew they played Electrical Storm in France a couple days earlier, they didn't play it in Amsterdam, I so wanted to hear that song as it's one of my favourites... to hear them rehearse it was awesome... but then the total let down when it wasn't played in favour of I will follow... damn. :grumpy:

I would be totally gutted, but am sure you still had a great time

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Stay the fuck away from where the band sleeps you creeps.

THIS!

I've never understood people's weird celebrity obsession that would cause them to do this. If you wanna hang around the venue fine do that, but staking out their hotel and trying to "accidently" meet them in their personal down time space be it their home, hotel, restaurant, etc etc, makes you a fucking weirdo as far as I'm concerend.

As long as they're on public property it's not stalking. So if they're waiting outside the hotel, it's ok!
And by ok you mean creepy and weird.

No it would never work, unless it was advertised as such and the building was filled with only diehards. Even then not all the diehards would want that.

They wouldn't care for rare material, as much as we'd rejoice in it, nor for them to play the entire new album on one night. It would fall flat, especially since the die hard fans also have different opinions on how much SOI they want to hear... Being a die hard fan doesn't make you auto love everything they release.

:up:

THIS!

I've never understood people's weird celebrity obsession that would cause them to do this. If you wanna hang around the venue fine do that, but staking out their hotel and trying to "accidently" meet them in their personal down time space be it their home, hotel, restaurant, etc etc, makes you a fucking weirdo as far as I'm concerend.

And by ok you mean creepy and weird.

Just passing by this thread with coffee and this hit me.

Wouldn't a band that (almost desperately) wants to remain relevant be OK with a few fans hanging out in the hotel lobby or entrance by chance to meet them, say hello, and wish them the best on the upcoming tour?

For gosh sakes, most of these fans are probably adults and reasonable, I can't see anyone screaming or tackling Dallas to get to Edge for his friggin autograph.

There is a line, it's not the same for everyone, just don't re injure Bono or embarrass yourself with some viral video whilst trying to meet the band.

PS -- I loved the 8 to 10 new songs during Zoo, but I would not love that many this time -- my over/under is 5.5 -- past 6 and I'll probably feel something old I enjoy got skipped, but eff it, it's a U2 show, so who cares that much really.

Why would the band be ok with fans ganging up on their hotel where they go to rest and sleep after a day of work? They do not owe anyone anything. If they're at work, in the studio or touring, sure, go see them at work, wait around the studio or stadium where THEY choose if they want to meet you. By going to their hotel, it's not THEIR choice anymore, you are forcing yourself onto them and that is WAY over the line.

Rehearsals In Vancouver

I would only try to meet them at the venue. I won't mind if I end up not meeting them in person, as I've already seen the band arrive at the stadium, with Bono rolling down the window and waving at us. I'm perfectly fine with keeping it at that.

Possible setlist leak / Invisible & Vertigo rehearsal

Invisible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy_QuLYTXs4

Vertigo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7hs-HO2I

Take this with a grain of salt, but a tweet of a possible setlist ...

https://twitter.com/dghickey/status/589572893673041920

This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Invisible
California
Volcano
Surrender/Seconds (snip)
NYD
TTTYAATW/AoH
Gone
Magnificent
Vertigo

---acoustic---
A Man and A Woman
Song for someone/love will tear us apart (snip)
Acrobat
Stay - full band
----

Raised by Wolves
Bad/troubles (snip)
The first time
WTSHNN

encore
crystal ballroom
joey ramone
bullet
two hearts beat