*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Rehearsals In Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
City of Blinding Lights was another big hit in a lot of European countries. ABOY (single #4 outside of the US) was a step below the first three in terms of success, but is still pretty well known (especially in the US where it actually got rock airplay).

Original of the Species was a total flop, both artistically and commercially. Let's forget this weird Lennon-knock off ever existed.

There's no doubt that the songs from HTDAAB absolutely killed live. You had four catchy-ass singles and you had a live-stomper in "Love and Peace or Else"..."Miracle Drug" and even "Yahweh" both held their own nicely. The crowds on their last tour were pretty much indifferent to anything from NLOTH.

I don't dispute much of this except Miracle Drug, which I think was widely agreed around here was a rare example of a U2 song being worse live, and disappeared part of the way through Vertigo's third leg because it wasn't doing much for crowds.

I'm hoping that if U2 are busy with it now, they've figured out how to nail it live.

I had wondered of all the NLOTH songs that would survived might have been MOS, BUT DEFINITELY can understand that they would nt have brought that one back. I think Ax has it right that saying the deeper cuts from TJT or AB would be more recognizable to more of the masses that don'tworry about such things as we all do.

Boots was better live, but to use Cobbler's comparison, a turd's still a turd.

IMO if a song can't stand on it's own outside of a live setting it's probably not that good.

But I will grant that Boots > Unknown Caller

Yep.

I´m ready for Boots. It was fantastic live, even Boots haters must acknowledge that.

I often think you make random positive comments just so people don't think you're as negative and pessimistic as you really are. If you are going to perpetrate such a deception, don't make it as obviously fake as to claim Boots was 'fantastic' live..

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

While we're on the subject of bomb songs live, I was underwhelmed by COBL when I saw it in Montreal. I remember walking out thinking it was the only song in the set I wouldn't have missed if it was gone.

That said, the visual spectacle was probably lost on me.

So even if MD sucks live -- which I hope not -- it'll at least be something different.

During 2004-2005, I was in what you'd call my "college years". I was at the height of my powers as a music listener, and paid close attention to what other people were listening to. I can attest that even though the charts don't look like much, a lot of young people knew SYCMIOYO and especially COBL. Lots of people had HTDAAB, and if I wore my Elevation or Vertigo Tour T-shirt out, people would always compliment my shirt/U2. Since the turn of the millennium, charts mean absolutely nothing in the US. They are in no way an accurate measure of what people are actually listening to, or what is popular.

Lots of people had HTDAAB, and if I wore my Elevation or Vertigo Tour T-shirt out, people would always compliment my shirt/U2.

Yup. I can't even tell you the number of strangers who would approach me, post-Vertigo tour when I was wearing my shirt, and tell me how lucky I was to see them and how they wished they could have. It was unreal. Crossing the US border from Canada, the guard initially denied me admittance to the US when he heard that I was coming over for U2 concerts. Then he laughed and said I could cross, but he would have to confiscate my U2 tickets. EVERYONE wanted to see that tour.

Miracle Drug is going to be Bono's love letter to Percocet for helping his recovery.

Oh god, I can just see the long spoken word intro being something about him falling off his bike, but performing live/Red/Africa/Leo/money is a miracle drug that got him back on his feet.

:crack:

I am actually looking forward to hearing what he says in the first half. I imagine if it is structured and on theme it could work well

:crack:

I am actually looking forward to hearing what he says in the first half. I imagine if it is structured and on theme it could work well

I am actually shocked that no one has commented on the length of his rant curing BTBS, as heard in the leak video. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but it sounded very....long and ranty.

I am actually shocked that no one has commented on the length of his rant curing BTBS, as heard in the leak video. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but it sounded very....long and ranty.

Acceptability of the rant will depend almost entirely on content and subject matter

Yeah, it reminded me of some of the more fired-up ZooTV and Elevation performances. Could be great.

I hope he's ranting about the fucking Interference people and their fucking jokes about Leo and fucking comas and their fucking blue crack and how he made sure to stick a bunch of Bomb songs into the setlist just to piss them the fuck off.

I hope he's ranting about the fucking Interference people and their fucking jokes about Leo and fucking comas and their fucking blue crack and how he made sure to stick a bunch of Bomb songs into the setlist just to piss them the fuck off.

Post of the day

OK folks, now we need to start hating really hard on ASOH, One Tree Hill, etc. to get U2 to play them, complete with spiteful Bono rant. "And you know it's time to go ONTO THE MOTHERFUCKING BLUE CRACK through the sleet and driving snow TO POST SHIT ABOUT MY COMA across the fields of mourning ON LEO'S FUCKING BICYCLE WHAT THE HELL YOU WANKERS"

And maybe you can all thank me for Ultra Violet's return on 360 after my countless rants about how much it sucks.

See, Bono does pay attention to us.

Acceptability of the rant will depend almost entirely on content and subject matter

And the interests/attention span of the fans. Does it directly affect them? Is it more than 140 characters? Otherwise, the bitching will commence.

But in concert spoiler contest, it's obviously THE BEST BONO RANT EVER.

Did they rehearse last Friday? Hopefully there are still some pieces of shock news to come

Did they rehearse last Friday? Hopefully there are still some pieces of shock news to come

Yep, last Friday is when we first got news of the string section from U2FP. It's also the day that had them extensively rehearsing Pride with an All You Need Is Love snippet.

Yep, last Friday is when we first got news of the string section from U2FP. It's also the day that had them extensively rehearsing Pride with an All You Need Is Love snippet.

Don't think anything happened tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if some members skipped town for a 3 day weekend. Edge going to the LA area is only a 3 hour flight from Vancouver.

If Fallon is filming next Friday in NYC then they should leave Vancouver Thursday evening at the latest. it does make sense with the Coliseum/Rogers arena change over.

Talk shows like Craig Ferguson/Ellen/Letterman sometimes film some stuff a week before air date, but then the monologue has to avoid any topical news references.

Damn, I was looking forward to a rehearsal update! How dare they not slave away every night. :wink:

Off memory from last time around, Fallon does film on Fridays, so yeah the timing is perfect for the changeover.

You know what I mean though. Yes, they were not a cheap as those $30 dollar tickets of which there are so few, but in general the GA tickets offer the best spots and the lowest price or almost the lowest price.

Yes, but do those acts charge less for tickets on the floor than they do for tickets in the seated stands? Plus in this case, its a substantial reduction. People in GA at $65 dollars a ticket are closer to the stage than someone who paid $600 dollars to sit in a seat off the floor. Know any artist who repeats that disparity between floor and seated tickets?

Some 360 venues had roughly as many $30 seat tickets as $60 GAs tickets.

Not all GA vantage points were great and could suck for the vertically challenged at certain points of the show plus elemnets of the production could be lost of those beneath it.

General admission tickets will be prices at $75.00 with reserved stand tickets ranging in price from $45.00 to $250.00 for Neil Young's 2008 US/Canada arena tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom