*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Rehearsals In Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miracle Drug into Streets could be awesome. MD doesn't really have an ending, it's just kind of stops, somewhat awkwardly. It's no RTSS, Bad or Please, but it's gotta be better than Pride. I'm excited to hear the transition.

I'm pissed that due to work obligations I can only make the 5th Chicago show (and even then, taking 2 days off might ruffle some feathers at work) but I am gonna savor every second!!!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

But.. You had 6 months notice. People do t have to work if they get 6 months notice, right???

It's possible that the concerts are during a major project/plan/date at work where it's impossible to take off. There are select dates throughout the year that I simply cannot take off. I imagine other companies have similar policies.

I'm not convinced about MD into Streets...IMO the latter has to come after something more sedate in a huge burst of catharsis for optimal lift-off. That said if I get to see Streets live I don't really care if it's after a twelve minute cover of "Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me" (Perfecto Mix)

Bullet and the rant is actually quit cool. And I've heard it about 6 times over a couple days.

MD is something the band seem to favour much more than fans.

Peter, are they typically rehearsing for a few hours in the late evening each day?

Thursday update:
U2 selling $600 face value front row tickets is Eagles/Bon Jovi/Irving Azoff/Rolling Stones/Madonna territory and deserves fan ridicule.

There is a big difference though. With the exception of the Red zone, those high priced tickets are not on the floor. The best tickets in the house are still GA on the floor which is only $65 dollars face value. Can you name any artist that makes the best tickets in the house the cheapest? Plus in this case, 90% cheaper than some tickets in the seated area above the floor.

Bullet and the rant is actually quit cool. And I've heard it about 6 times over a couple days.

MD is something the band seem to favour much more than fans.

The pace of Bullet seems to be very low, isn´t it? How I miss the Zoo TV Bullet performance. Couldn´t be topped.

The band must love Miracle Drug, they probably believe God walked through the room during that song, but for me, he only look through the door at the end of the song

The pace of Bullet seems to be very low, isn´t it? How I miss the Zoo TV Bullet performance. Couldn´t be topped.

The band must love Miracle Drug, they probably believe God walked through the room during that song, but for me, he only look through the door at the end of the song

very true...pretty decent tune but G0d only walked into the room at the end.

Please do tell me all your thoughts on God - cause id really like to meet her.

well if the setlist is from the songs suggested, that's... nice. i guess?

running to stand still and bad being the highlights.

the band are fooling themselves if they think people want to hear miracle drug and volcano, however.

Everything Rehearsed Thus Far:

Boy - I Will Follow, Out of Control, Electric Co.
October -
War - Sunday Bloody Sunday
UF - Pride, Bad
JT - Streets, Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still
R&H - Desire
AB - Even Better Than The Real Thing, One, Until The End of the World, Mysterious Ways
Zooropa -
Original Soundtracks I -
Pop - The Playboy Mansion
ATYCLB - Beautiful Day, Elevation
HTDAAB - Vertigo, Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, One Step Closer
NLOTH - Magnificent
SOI - Every Breaking Wave, The Miracle, California, Song for Someone, Iris, Volcano, Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road, Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, The Troubles

Non-Album - Ordinary Love, Invisible, Johnny Cash Cover

Italics = Not Played on 360 Tour
Bold = Never Played At A Regular Gig

The amount of actual rarities still stands at two (three if you count the Johnny Cash cover). Practically all of the older cuts that weren't on the 360 Tour appeared on the Vertigo Tour.

the band are fooling themselves if they think people want to hear miracle drug and volcano, however.

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I'd take Volcano over Raised by Wolves and it's not even close. RBW just seems like a b-side to me no matter how much I try to like it.

i would even add Playboy Mansion to that. I can't see how Playboy Mansion will last more than a week. Yes, i know some people love it to pieces...but in general, when you have 80% of the audience not knowing it, it becomes a snoozefest.

Songs like Zooropa and HMTMKMKM on the last tour worked because they were much more upbeat and enjoyable even if you didn't know the song.

I don't think we've had confirmation yet of "The Playboy Mansion" even being rehearsed on more than one occasion. While I don't expect us to have an ear on the ground 8 hours a day, every day, it will be telling if we don't hear them rehearse it again. They could do "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" for about thirty minutes in order to check the sound settings and be good for the rest of the tour...but these rarities that they've never played before take a lot more work. If "The Playboy Mansion" isn't rehearsed again, we probably won't even see it on the tour.

I agree that the audience will not be particularly interested in that track. The band's clearly trying to pull out the "rarest of the rare" by playing songs they've never even touched before, but plenty of people will be happy just to see an old favorite like "A Sort of Homecoming" re-enter the setlist, a song at least 75% of the fans attending this tour will have never even seen live in the first place.

there are tons of gems that have never been played before (or at least not in a looong time), A Sort of Homecoming being one of them. I can think of a dozen off the top of my head and they all would be killer live. The Playboy Mansion, not so much.

For what it's worth, very possible that they will be debuting some Songs of Experience material on the tour, especially given that they have a recording studio in the arenas to tinker around on. I wouldn't expect it to happen early on in the tour, but once they get comfortable with the static part of the setlists and the rotating songs, they could start rehearsing some of the never-before-heard tracks.

there are tons of gems that have never been played before (or at least not in a looong time), A Sort of Homecoming being one of them. I can think of a dozen off the top of my head and they all would be killer live. The Playboy Mansion, not so much.

I did pre-show polling months back. 106 people voted on a vast selection of tracks that were performed 0-4 times on the 360 Tour. Each user had to select 25 options (which is far more of these sort of songs than you'd even see in one night given that the shows will have a lot of concert staples/SOI songs).

The Playboy Mansion ended up with five votes. Out of 106 voters. That means it finished in a tie of around #101 out of that group of songs.

Miracle Drug tied for 59th with 14 votes.

One Step Closer also had five votes and would be tied with The Playboy Mansion, not even in the Top 100 of most requested rarities.

Let's not forget that users were forced to choose twenty five songs in the poll. If you narrowed it down to, say, three choices (about the amount of rarities we could expect U2 to bust out on opening night), there's no way "One Step Closer" or "The Playboy Mansion" would garner a single vote. Heck, if you limited it to ten selections per user, I doubt either would have nabbed a vote.

Here's the Top 10:

1. A Sort of Homecoming - 80 votes
2. Acrobat - 77
3. Mofo - 73
4. Please - 70
5. Gone - 64
6. Lemon - 59
6. Love Is Blindness - 59
8. Exit - 58
9. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - 53
10. One Tree Hill - 50

U2 has rehearsed exactly zero of those songs. :down:

Out of the top 25, they have rehearsed four (Invisible, The Electric Co., Running To Stand Still and Out of Control). Out of Control also wasn't even supposed to be in that poll as it was played more than four times on the 360 Tour.

If we extend it out to the Top 50 requests in that poll, the band only makes it to six total thanks to Bullet The Blue Sky and Ordinary Love. So, they've rehearsed a whopping four of the 50 most requested older rarities and all of them have been regulars on recent tours.

Link To Thread

The best tickets in the house are still GA on the floor which is only $65 dollars face value. Can you name any artist that makes the best tickets in the house the cheapest?

U2 haven't had GA the same price as the worst seats in the house in about a decade.

Neil(2008), Metallica and Bruce have all had modest priced GA. Acts like Foo/Pearl Jam/Phish have had fan friendly pricing for seats closest to the stage and have better track records with fan club ticket allocation. All 6 of these acts have NEVER charged $600 face value front row on a national tour.

Top Ten Most Sought After Songs Played Regulary On 360 Tour:

- 44 voters

- No ballot minimum or maximum

1. Bad - 38
1. The Fly - 38

3. Where The Streets Have No Name - 36

4. New Year's Day - 32

5. The Unforgettable Fire - 30

6. Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - 29

7. Until The End Of The World - 27
7. Zooropa - 27

9. Out of Control - 25

10. All I Want Is You - 24
10. Stay (Faraway, So Close) - 24

These are the only songs with majority support from the last tour. That's it.

U2 has rehearsed four of these eleven songs (Bad, Streets, Until The End Of The World and Out of Control).

As far as the third poll goes (SOI and its b-sides), they've rehearsed the entire album, so that's a plus. The only songs people aren't interested in hearing are The Miracle, Song For Someone and Lucifer's Hands - all of which had far less than majority support.

U2 should certainly rehearse The Crystal Ballroom as it's second only to Every Breaking Wave in number of fans that would like to hear it live.

U2 haven't had GA the same price as the worst seats in the house in about a decade.

Neil(2008), Metallica and Bruce have all had modest priced GA. Acts like Foo/Pearl Jam/Phish have had fan friendly pricing for seats closest to the stage and have better track records with fan club ticket allocation. All 6 of these acts have NEVER charged $600 face value front row on a national tour.

Let's not forget the top-tier indie acts that will play 2,000-3,000 seat theaters at like $35-50 a pop - all General Admission.

U2's $600 tickets (and even $300 tickets for that matter) do put them in a realm of high ticket prices that only seem to be commanded by baby-boomer nostalgia acts (Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.) or trophy wife favorites (Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Madonna, etc.)

Also don't ignore the fact that the average sale price for a lot of the rest of the seats (such as the nosebleeds) has probably been higher than face value on the whole as fans were almost immediately shut out of those seats (and literally shut out of the cheapest of those seats). Not to mention that a great deal of the GA tickets aren't really purchased at the price stated because a lot of fans also ponied up for fan club memberships in order to get them.

The seats weren't even really priced equivalent to demand, given just how many of these super expensive ones ($300+) on the floor sat on the website for shows like the San Jose gigs for months. Or that demand was so low in actuality for nosebleed tickets that the cheapest sections were selling pairs via resellers at $30 a ticket in total at one point.

I did pre-show polling months back. 106 people voted on a vast selection of tracks that were performed 0-4 times on the 360 Tour. Each user had to select 25 options (which is far more of these sort of songs than you'd even see in one night given that the shows will have a lot of concert staples/SOI songs).

The Playboy Mansion ended up with five votes. Out of 106 voters. That means it finished in a tie of around #101 out of that group of songs.

Miracle Drug tied for 59th with 14 votes.

One Step Closer also had five votes and would be tied with The Playboy Mansion, not even in the Top 100 of most requested rarities.

Let's not forget that users were forced to choose twenty five songs in the poll. If you narrowed it down to, say, three choices (about the amount of rarities we could expect U2 to bust out on opening night), there's no way "One Step Closer" or "The Playboy Mansion" would garner a single vote. Heck, if you limited it to ten selections per user, I doubt either would have nabbed a vote.

Here's the Top 10:

1. A Sort of Homecoming - 80 votes
2. Acrobat - 77
3. Mofo - 73
4. Please - 70
5. Gone - 64
6. Lemon - 59
6. Love Is Blindness - 59
8. Exit - 58
9. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - 53
10. One Tree Hill - 50

U2 has rehearsed exactly zero of those songs. :down:

Out of the top 25, they have rehearsed three (The Electric Co., Running To Stand Still and Out of Control). Out of Control also wasn't even supposed to be in that poll as it was played more than four times on the 360 Tour.

If we extend it out to the Top 50 requests in that poll, the band only makes it to four total thanks to Bullet The Blue Sky. So, they've rehearsed a whopping four of the 50 most requested rarities and all of them have been regulars on recent tours.

Link To Thread

Nice little research project.

Instead of The Playboy Mansion - Hawkmoon 269, God II, Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car, Like a Song, Silver and Gold, Dirty Day, i think are all better choices...

Get the feeling volcano is going to be the elevation of its day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom