*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Rehearsals In Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the non-disclosure agreements for this tour are even crazier than past tours.

Well, they're working with a manager who has multiple top list clients this time around, one who understands the risks and benefits associated with modern technology and social media. McG's biggest (and only, after a while) was U2. He also hated the concept of internet sharing and was a bit of a dinosaur in terms of social media. Anyone notice that U2 got more of a social media boost once Oseary was on board? That's not likely JUST a coincidence.

And of course, no matter WHO the manager is/was, it's necessary to have non-disclosure forms in place given how easy it is to snap a photo, snag a video, or even send out a tweet or FB post. U2 has always kept their inner circle close and confidential, and that is one of the many many reasons that they are such a successful band (talent and amazing music notwithstanding).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Looks like they have been rehearsing today:
atu2 @atu2 · 6m
Our Vancouver reporter Stephen K. says U2 has been rehearsing at Pacific Coliseum all night. “Mixture of old classics and obvious new ones.”
atu2 @atu2 · 5m
Stephen says he recorded a clip of “Every Breaking Wave.” (Hoping to get/share that later tonight.)
Hope it's a full band version of EBW.

My only major issue with this set is EBW being the last song when bono's voice would be much better served having it 30-60 minutes earlier in the set.

I somehow can see Bono singing EBW with his worn out voice (kind of like he did with MOS on the last tour), but I think it just doesn't make a great closing song. If U2 should decide to play it in the acoustic/string version (which I'm almost convinced they will), there's no chance, IMO, that they'll play it at or even towards the end of the set. It just wouldn't fit.

Went out for the first time. If you are going just to listen you will have some success. 5 days in and there has been zero interaction with fans, venue garage door comes up and the multiple SUVs will go one of 1 of 2 directions.

Locally hired crew have all been told no eye contact with band members. Common with other acts, but the first i've heard of it in place with u2. Obviously the local crew would know not to approach them.

Most/all of the new album has been heard outside the venue with the exception of Troubles. EBW is apparently full band(ish). One casually fan that lives near the venue said she has heard Ordinary Love, so look out for a secondary confirmation on that one.

Older stuff heard includes B-Day, M-Ways(intro riff only), WOWY, COBL, PITNOL, Magnificent, Bad(tag is still TBA) Even Better and tonight i heard Edge solo play Electric Co. top to bottom.

Some of the earlier photos with pictures of trucks were actually the Ryan Reynolds Deadpool crew shooting some stuff on next door to the venue.

I'm not taking any audio or video,so don't ask.

Went out for the first time. If you are going just to listen you will have some success. 5 days in and there has been zero interaction with fans, venue garage door comes up and the multiple SUVs will go one of 1 of 2 directions.

Locally hired crew have all been told no eye contact with band members. Common with other acts, but the first i've heard of it in place with u2. Obviously the local crew would know not to approach them.

Most/all of the new album has been heard outside the venue with the exception of Troubles. EBW is apparently full band(ish). One casually fan that lives near the venue said she has heard Ordinary Love, so look out for a secondary confirmation on that one.

Older stuff heard includes B-Day, M-Ways(intro riff only), WOWY, COBL, PITNOL, Magnificent, Bad(tag is still TBA) Even Better and tonight i heard Edge solo play Electric Co. top to bottom.

Some of the earlier photos with pictures of trucks were actually the Ryan Reynolds Deadpool crew shooting some stuff on next door to the venue.

Thank you so much for letting us know. I didn't figure we'd ever hear Electric Co. again - obviously nothing is set in stone, but good to know the song is on their minds

Actually was wondering about electric co - and other Boy songs given the innocence angle.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Many thanks for that report U2FP! I would be incredibly thrilled if The Electric Co. makes a comeback. It was pretty much the greatest thing about the Vertigo Tour.

I like to dream 11 O'clock Tick Tock will also be resurrected. Can you even begin to imagine how awesome it would be to hear 11OTT/The Electric Co. back to back? I'd pay full ticket price just for that.

Wow, reading this with great enthusiasm, and im 1000 kilomerers away!

Thanks Peter!

Electric Co. hell yes!! The Boy segment during the Vertigo tour was so good.

My dream right now is hearing The Crystal Ballroom & 11 O'Clock Tick Tock being played back to back. The shuffle did that one day and I've been happily stuck on it.

Seems like they're rehearsing a lot of war-horses and tracks that went down well on recent tours ("The Electric Co.") as they're probably going to try to have two setlists with a lot of stuff that they can play fairly easily. Not that there won't be rarities, but U2 could easily do two full nights of concert regulars from the last three tours in their sleep.

Interesting, but not surprising, that "Magnificent" appears to be the only NLOTH track to survive into this round. Who knows if it will actually make the setlists, but I think the two nights will include at least one track from every album, so "Magnificent" could be the lone NLOTH representative.

Here was my post from another thread discussing how U2 could easily put together two night's worth of sets mostly by practicing their live standards to perfection, just to give everyone here an idea of what I'm talking about:

1) Rehearse at least a half dozen new tracks to perfection. Start by not choosing any of the ambient or low-key numbers from the album. Instead, they should pick forceful ballads and louder rock numbers in order to get the audience's attention. Rehearse these tracks in front of fans a few times before the tour begins in order to gauge the audience's response.

2) Practice the war horses. While U2 could play "Elevation" or "With or Without You" in their sleep, they should be able to have 30 or so songs on call for shuffling over multiple nights. This will require a slight bit of rehearsing for each number in order to have them ready to go.

The songs:

Boy - I Will Follow, Out Of Control (2)
October - Gloria (1)
War - New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, 40 (3)
Unforgettable Fire - Bad, Pride (2)
Joshua Tree - Streets, With or Without You, Still Haven't Found, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still (5)
Rattle and Hum - Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You (3)
Achtung Baby - The Fly, Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways, One, Even Better Than The Real Thing (5)
Zooropa - Stay (1)
Original Soundtracks I - Miss Sarajevo (1)
All That You Can't Leave Behind - Beautiful Day, In A Little While, Walk On, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment (5)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights (2)

3) Rehearse to perfection about 8 rarities that you can spread out over two nights (4 a night). Deeper album tracks, b-sides, etc.

U2 would then go on tour with the ability to play roughly 45 songs at will. That would be enough for nearly two complete shows. That doesn't even count numbers they seemed to play with ease on recent tours ("Zoo Station" and "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" and "Ultraviolet" and a bunch of HTDAAB tracks, etc.), most of which could also join the rotation.

Even if they don't want to do two entirely different shows, they would only need to play, at most, the same ten songs every night (The four that the audience expects - "Streets" and "One" and "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" - along with the half dozen new numbers) and thus would have the most varied setlists in their entire history with a swap of 10-15 different songs each night.

I somehow can see Bono singing EBW with his worn out voice (kind of like he did with MOS on the last tour), but I think it just doesn't make a great closing song. If U2 should decide to play it in the acoustic/string version (which I'm almost convinced they will), there's no chance, IMO, that they'll play it at or even towards the end of the set. It just wouldn't fit.

What makes sense about EBW being last is that Bono commented that it takes a lot out of him emotionally and that it's hard to recover from...thus, appearing at the end would be fine because he's done singing for the night anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom