Paris #4 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This tour is definitely up in there.

Bullet is the best version since Popmart - an absolute killer track.

As people have already said, every tour has a 'static' setlist because they are:

1. Promoting their new album - showcasing (and even enjoying playing) their latest work.

2. Playing the hits - nothing wrong with that. If I went to see the Stones I would want to hear Brown Sugar. If I went to see Bowie I would want to hear Heroes etc

It's very easy to criticise a written-down setlist, but actually experiencing the show is on another level.

Let's remember that their all-time-fan-favourite tour ZOO TV had a pretty static setlist and gave birth to the mini-stage.

My only gripe about this tour was the screen - and that's only because it's impact was totally dependent on where you sat whether you got a fantastic view, a mini-screen view, or a poor acute-angled view.

If they added 2 large screens on the main stage over the band facing outward then that would have solved that problem and created a more dynamic show - and they can afford it too.

Good job U2 - look forward to your next incarnation. Still the best live band with the best songs.

And you come and sing all your war-horses in my back garden anytime you bloody want.

A fucking men to that, I would pay the ticket price alone to hear that October-bullet-zooropa-streets segment again

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think any disapointment can only exist because the band said before ticket sales that the pair shows concept was due to major setlist changes between both nights.
Apart from that, I+E will become a fan favourite, I'm sure. Even The Miracle, a song I don't like that much, is the best opener since Mofo. I miss the stronger songs from SOI, but even the others have shaped the band's strongest performances in a long time.

We have plenty to remember from this tour. Hope they come back soon!

True, but in those days they were touring to promote great albums, they were churning out albums every 1.5 -2 years and most importantly....it was the pre internet era whereby unless you attended a show in person, you had no idea about the experience. Now days, the wow and shock factor is no longer there due to concerts being available online literally hours after they have finished. The only way around this is by having multiple set lists.

U2 are now in a position where they have already ticked all the boxes in terms of album and ticket sales etc, it's time for them to really stop bothering about trying to be the biggest band in the world by pleasing the masses, and start mixing things up and keep things interesting for their long term fans and for themselves.

So basically U2 has to think about you and the setlists threads?

what an amazing ending to a great tour..a ashame they dropped elec co IMO but what an ending!! One of my fav moments in their career and that is saying something :heart:

5:12 for me is the highlight of the whole tour..I just knew it was Bono's favourite line and he just cant wait to belt it out for once instead of patty smith..for me those couple of seconds sum up an incredible arena tour that I loved each time I saw it live..it is up there with the best tours they have done , I enjoyed this WAY more than the 360 tour, Vertigo I loved too but thuis was more special..elevationtour (slane remains incredible for me), popmart (just an incredible spectacle), zootv remains unbeaten, my age, the music, the stage, mindblowing,
theme wise this is the best they have done(I am talking about the first set of course)

thank you guys for the memories. hopefuly see you next year!

Last edited:
No. U2 makes me happy. And when I have a beef with the setlist, or an album, or whatever the fuck they choose to do, I might bitch about it and then get over it, or I'll say nothing and just get the fuck over it.

Post of the year! and seeing the class they showed by giving their stage to the EODM is a huge middle finger to all of the haters - this is the reason I've stayed with U2 all these years.... these guys are the greatest band ever.

Missed the party yesterday but watched the broadcast. Great first tour for me, amazing that I got to see it way back in May in LA at the very beginning of this big journey and then got to finish it with the HBO special. Unfortunate the early set got trimmed, but was worth it for that ending. Lots has stayed the same, lots has changed, and a lot of little things have gotten better. Thanks for making the ride so fun!

Anyone else find it annoying and weird that during the first 4 songs of the HBO special, they kept panning over to the same guy with a shaved head and gray U2 shirt(he also had a tattoo on his upper arm)? It was so odd that there were so many people in the pit area and even in the arena as a whole that they could show and they kept going to this guy.

It got to the point where I stopped listening to the songs and was focused on when they would show him next...lol

Unrelated to great night but it's fun to watch the lead singer of eagles try to figure out how to be the lead singer at a huge venue. Lots of awkward low fives. Stage presence is a skill. Bono does it the best with respect to Bruce and Jagger.

Another note about the show: I've hated listening to karaoke One on audio streams throughout the tour. However, on the broadcast it was one of the loveliest moments of the whole show. Put me down on the side of the Pro-Karaoke people now.

Anyone else find it annoying and weird that during the first 4 songs of the HBO special, they kept panning over to the same guy with a shaved head and gray U2 shirt(he also had a tattoo on his upper arm)? It was so odd that there were so many people in the pit area and even in the arena as a whole that they could show and they kept going to this guy.

It got to the point where I stopped listening to the songs and was focused on when they would show him next...lol

I did notice that guy multiple times.

First time in history an opening band closed a show... it was a great moment, but let me be the first asshole to say, man do I hate this song by EODM. Love these men. And the message of hope and love. But I can't pretend to like the song.

Another note about the show: I've hated listening to karaoke One on audio streams throughout the tour. However, on the broadcast it was one of the loveliest moments of the whole show. Put me down on the side of the Pro-Karaoke people now.

A lot of people here hate "karaoke One" but when I heard it live at MSG, it was one of the highlights of the show. I would argue that removing it would be due the live experience a disservice.

:sexywink: you must be sick then with a boring and repetitive set list .

I have 2 comments:

1-people around here are not sheep as they complain about everything from the stagnant set lists to the songs on the new album being to polished or dull or lazy to U2 not playing a random b-side from 1978. Believe me, I wish they were sheep because it would be less frustrating for me :)

2-The set lists are stagnant and almost identical each night, you are spot on. However, consider that in 1992 you would not know what the set list was in any given night until 4 years later when a book was released documenting the tour. Now, you have the luxury of sitting in your room REAL TIME and not only hearing the songs but watching the videos and speeches. Its only boring because you already heard and saw 50 shows but the paying audience hasn't, and that's who matters.

Do you know how many times I have read here that Elevation and "karaoke One" should be retired from the show and yet they are two of the best moments to experience live!

Perhaps I'm the closest thing to a sheep but everyone else here is far from it(they are also wrong and I'm right but that's another subject altogether).

yeah definitely reading setlist while watching broadcast and actually being at arena/stadium watching the show are completely different experience. I mean, U2 has been playing pretty static setlist for a good number of years (probably Vertigo tour had very diverse setlist? I'm not sure). I went to 360 tour and that tour had very static setlist (disregarding setlist changes between legs) but it was such a killer show!

The dude with tattoos of the bands faces that came stage for COBL. That's dedication.

Especially the way he just disappeared off the e stage. Wonder where he went

Back
Top Bottom