Paris #1 Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the fans at the show. Those two rotational songs pretty much were the most interesting of the concert.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd still watch the HBO thing just because I haven't seen them live this tour and despite periscope feeds and YouTube clips it would just be nice to see a professionally filmed concert despite being cut up from different shows and despite the predictable set list.

I don't think losing Sweetest Thing or whatever is a big deal to anyone, but the second song rotational slot is really important to the show, and one of its absolute highlights.

Imagine the press they'd get if they played 3 or 4 previously unheard songs from the upcoming Songs of Experience on the HBO special. That would please HBO as well... probably won't happen but they are not averse to pulling the occasional surprise as we saw last year!

My best guess is they chopped off a couple of songs to bring the HBO broadcast in at an even 2 hours. Just picked the wrong songs to chop in typical U2 fashion.

Or they could just hate the French.

Last edited:
That could be it - shortened show in revenge for "no Monsieur Bono you cannot ave another bottle of Puligny-Montrachet. We are closing the restaurant and it's time for Monsieur L'Edge to drive you home"

I was for minute considering flying to Paris a few months back and I'm glad I didn't. Sucks for the fans at the show, but honestly I don't get what the big deal is for everyone else. I love Gloria/OOC/Electric Co as much as the next fan, but frankly pretty much every DVD they ever released sucked. Bootlegs out there are a million times better and that includes Red Rocks. I'm not surprised the least. The vibe on those filmed shows is never great, you can always tell nerves or whatever.

And if we lose a song for some behind the scenes stuff then I'm ok with that. I think the show is fantastic as it is and anyone considering skipping it because of one song needs to get their heads checked. Sure it's not the most daring setlist or full of lesser known songs or whatnot, but it's a spectacle to see live.

My best guess is they chopped off a couple of songs to bring the HBO broadcast in at an even 2 hours. Just picked the wrong songs to chop in typical U2 fashion.

Or they could just hate the French.

And just checked the HBO listing on my cable for Saturday, the show is slotted from 9-11:30, so Bono hates the French.

Just saw another concert promo put out from Apple Music's Twitter...lots of footage from Electric Co... Please boys don't dump that slot.

Tomorrow will be telling. I'm still pumped to see this show with pro shots.

I realize that may irk some people, but I stand by that comment. It's the same reason why many of us don't expect them to ever release SOE and if they do, it will get neutered to death. This band is so frustrating. Playing great and ballsy setlists all throughout the European leg, then by the time the DVD comes out, they're not only playing Elevation and One, they drop a fan favorite slot because audience on HBO may not know the song. That's what it boils down to. They fear that people watching will change the channel once they play a song that maybe they haven't heard before. Screw the real fans, just play for the HBO audience.
That's why they will never, ever be widely loved and popular again. They're delusioned by this notion that they have to play and advertise songs that a lot of people may like instead of playing their great music.

I get your overall point, but saying that they've lost their balls because they dropped two songs from a set that ha barely changed for the length of the tour is pretty silly. You're about 50 shows too late.

surprised to see the #2 rotational slot get the chop but definitely reserving judgement til they play the other concerts. I agree with those who say it's probably just as simple as saving Bono's voice.

That slot is the only song they can drop, if they absolutely have to, without touching the SOI songs and buggering up the narrative they've got going in that first part of the show. Annoying as it may be to people like us here, they wouldn't play Gloria and skip a guaranteed crowd pleaser like Vertigo, which they know the majority are coming to hear.

Remember how shit everyone said Bono sounded singing Raised By Wolves on TFI Friday, ditching a couple of "non-essential" songs for a gig or two is probably just them doing what little they can to avoid repeating that on a colossal scale. I'm sure the ditched songs will be back in a few days. :up:

Last edited:
Dropping those songs from the broadcast (IF they do) is only acceptable if replaced by SOE material, and they didn't play it to keep the surprise.

I have no opinion of my own to offer; I hereby appoint corianderstem as my spokesperson on all matters U2 - you are the voice of reason.

That's what YOU think, buddy. :wink:

Back to my friend Mr. Saget. How in heaven's name have the European setlists up til now been anything remotely "ballsy"? I mean, yeah, they switched it up a bit since the US leg, but ... really?

But yes, of course, U2 is a frustrating band to love. We're all right there with you on that one.

That's what YOU think, buddy. :wink:

Back to my friend Mr. Saget. How in heaven's name have the European setlists up til now been anything remotely "ballsy"? I mean, yeah, they switched it up a bit since the US leg, but ... really?

But yes, of course, U2 is a frustrating band to love. We're all right there with you on that one.

I consider the setlist the other night (Glasgow 2) to be "ballsy".
Gloria, October, Zooropa, Desire (full electric), Bad, 40 and at least a part way The Fly I would consider a great setlist.
On the other hand, I consider a setlist without any #2 song, only elevation on the e stage, and One to close to be a radically different show.

Dropping those songs from the broadcast (IF they do) is only acceptable if replaced by SOE material, and they didn't play it to keep the surprise.

No chance they drop SOE material on their big concert DVD taping without ample rehearsing beforehand.

If we get something from SOE, I could see it being put over the credits or something.

I really think that must be it. Bono's voice was sounding much better than of late at Glasgow e.g. he was hitting the high notes in Invisible, and some parts of Every Breaking Wave plus he went for it in Bad on night 2, threw in a "Shine like Stars in the Summer night" and played a long and very high energy set.

We noticed at Glasgow that the weather was wet (but unusually warm for the time of year) and we are now in Ireland which is also very wet but unusually warm. Everywhere we've been in between (airport lounges, aircraft and hotels) it has sounded like a hospital ward with folk coughing and spluttering all over and we both have sore throats now so it stands every chance that tonight's setlist is nothing more than a bunch of men trying desperately not to stay home sick.

I`ll second that! I went to the first 2 London shows and have had a sore throat and chesty cough since. I do work in a hospital and most of the staff have it too so probably not U2 show related but more the weather. We need a good long cold spell to kill the bugs

The show was filmed but it won't be broadcast as is, so they haven't dropped a song because of a TV audience. It wasn't down to time constraints, they finished early. The only other thing I can think of is what Chrisedge alludes to.

Spookily, Paris also lost 2 songs opening night of ZooTV:nerd:

Aw crap i was at that one too those bastards!

Has anyone seen a printed setlist? Maybe they simply forgot where they were for a moment and missed the #2 song haha

Although i don't think the majority of the crowd noticed - everyone was going nuts when I Will Follow started where i was... And by going nuts i mean jumping and singing NOT complaining about the rotational #2 lol

I think i mean Vertigo - see u don't notice these things when you're actually there and "in it" - it's only obvious when you obsess over it on paper!

Glasgow 2, Cologne 2, London 3, and Amsterdam 4 are my favorite shows of the european leg so far.

if Paris could get one show on par with these, and it makes it onto the broadcast, I find it hard to believe anyone could complain.

the US leg's highlights don't really come close. Phoenix 2, Chicago 3, Boston 3 maybe come to mind? can't think of many

Glasgow 2, Cologne 2, London 3, and Amsterdam 4 are my favorite shows of the european leg so far.

if Paris could get one show on par with these, and it makes it onto the broadcast, I find it hard to believe anyone could complain.

the US leg's highlights don't really come close. Phoenix 2, Chicago 3, Boston 3 maybe come to mind? can't think of many

LA 4 was amazing. WLCTT, All I Want is You full band on the main stage, and 40. No Bad, though. :(

(biased obviously cause I was there haha)

Tour standout for me is Amsterdam 4. Zoo Station. Yes please.

LA 4 was amazing. WLCTT, All I Want is You full band on the main stage, and 40. No Bad, though. :(

(biased obviously cause I was there haha)

Tour standout for me is Amsterdam 4. Zoo Station. Yes please.
Zoo Station was only played in Berlin so far.

I consider the setlist the other night (Glasgow 2) to be "ballsy".
Gloria, October, Zooropa, Desire (full electric), Bad, 40 and at least a part way The Fly I would consider a great setlist.
On the other hand, I consider a setlist without any #2 song, only elevation on the e stage, and One to close to be a radically different show.

They've played all of those songs on this tour already, though.... Many of them on the same night.

You and I have massively different definitions of what a ballsy setlist is.

If U2 got rid of their fears, stepped out of their comfort zones and played a different setlist every show... THAT would be ballsy. For them, at least. Heck, I'll even take having the first half scripted (cause let's be honest it's fairly brilliant) and the second half a free for all is being ballsy.

Adding in a couple of songs to an otherwise never changing setlist? That ain't too ballsy.

If U2 got rid of their fears, stepped out of their comfort zones and played a different setlist every show... THAT would be ballsy. For them, at least. Heck, I'll even take having the first half scripted (cause let's be honest it's fairly brilliant) and the second half a free for all is being ballsy.

Adding in a couple of songs to an otherwise never changing setlist? That ain't too ballsy.
I totally agree with this this.

I see I missed quite a party. I do think it's lame they dropped those songs. But is everyone mad because they were listening and it was a waste of time? Or on behalf of the people who were there? Or because you're afraid the HBO show will suck? Just trying to get to the root of the absolute RAGE.

But is everyone mad because they were listening and it was a waste of time? Or on behalf of the people who were there? Or because you're afraid the HBO show will suck? Just trying to get to the root of the absolute RAGE.

yeah please no-one be mad on my behalf because i had a great time - save your rage for when it's really needed :lol:

Back
Top Bottom