Opening Night Setlist Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed. This song has the potential to be in my top tier of all time U2 tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Mhm. There are some moments in it that sound fantastic in the recording but have you thinking "they are going to make this absolutely incredible live".

Let's hope we're right!

The thing I like about this album is that there are about 4 songs that could open the show. The Miracle, California, Volcano, and This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now. Could add some nice variety to the setlist.
I hope they take a more Vertigo Tour approach towards this tour. The song selection was pretty good during the VT and there was variety in material and setlist order. But I don't think they played the material very well and it was waaaaaaay too political. That middle part with Love and Peace, SBS, and Bullet was terrible. They murdered SBS and Bullet. Then it took about 3 minutes of talking before they would start Running To Stand Still. He also wouldn't shut up before Miracle Drug, I Still Haven't Found, One, Streets, etc etc. Thank god he kinda shut up more during 360. I'd like to see 0 political speeches a night this tour, unless he's really mad, because that's always entertaining.

I've got to be honest and say none of the new songs really leap out and scream "opener" to me. On HTDAAB it was fairly obvious that COBL, LAPOE, and Vertigo could all do the job; on NLOTH both Breathe and Magnificent struck me as openers (and the title track, but it never got used that way).

Volcano comes closest to opener material, I guess.

Also, I think we'll see most of ATYCLB take a back seat? :hmm:

Maybe just Beautiful Day will played and hopefully with a new arrangment.

I agree with this except I think WILATW would fit in with the new songs (also just really like to hear this song live).

Street Mission would kill. It would fit this bunch of songs, and the SOI theme.

I've always dreamed of them resurrecting Street Mission or The Fool. I get the impression - on the basis of nothing at all but a hunch - that U2 would favour The Fool over Street Mission nowadays. They might see Street Mission as a bit wanky, especially with that seventies guitar solo, while The Fool fits in more with the idea of baby U2 as this kind of ramshackle punk band.

Plus I just like The Fool more. Either song would make me flip though.

I've always dreamed of them resurrecting Street Mission or The Fool. I get the impression - on the basis of nothing at all but a hunch - that U2 would favour The Fool over Street Mission nowadays. They might see Street Mission as a bit wanky, especially with that seventies guitar solo, while The Fool fits in more with the idea of baby U2 as this kind of ramshackle punk band.

Plus I just like The Fool more. Either song would make me flip though.

I always like Street Mission more - both are awesome though. Shame they were never recorded for Boy, or at the very least as b-sides for that era

Really I have no idea what the setlist is going to be I expect they will play 6-8 songs off the new album plus Invisible and Ordinary Love.

I always like Street Mission more - both are awesome though. Shame they were never recorded for Boy, or at the very least as b-sides for that era

I really never understood why some of the pre-Boy material didn't get recorded. Hell, they DID record The Dream Is Over and Pete the Chop and didn't use them, and for a while there Cartoon World was a candidate to be recorded as the first single. I'm especially mystified why they didn't dig up some of the pre-Boy gems in 1981 when they were scrambling for material. I can understand them tossing out some early material and viewing it as juvenilia, but surely there were a couple of songs that got people moving live, would've sounded good in studio, and could've made October stronger. I mean, J. Swallow as a b-side rather than The Fool or Life on a Distant Planet? Really?

None of Songs Of Innocence scream opener to me, but also none scream closer to me (not even "The Troubles", although I think they'll use it as a closer). But I'd bet that the shows will open with "The Miracle" with an extended "Oooooh". "Volcano" should be the second in the setlist right after.
I think that they'll only play 6 songs of the album ("The Miracle", "Every Breaking Wave", "Song For Someone", "Iris", "Volcano" and "The Troubles") and then "California", "Raised By Wolves" and "Cedarwood Road" will somehow rotate or miss some shows (or most shows). I'm not seeing "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now" and "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" being played. I also think that "Invisible" and "Ordinary Love" will stay in the first legs of the tour and then leave it as the tour goes on.

I could perfectly see something like:

The Miracle
Volcano
11 O'clock Tick Tock
I Will Follow
Invisible
Elevation
Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
Magnificent
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
The First Time
Song For Someone |
| Vertigo
Raised By Wolves
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Iris
Every Breaking Wave
With Or Without You

Ordinary Love
The Troubles

None of Songs Of Innocence scream opener to me, but also none scream closer to me (not even "The Troubles", although I think they'll use it as a closer). But I'd bet that the shows will open with "The Miracle" with an extended "Oooooh". "Volcano" should be the second in the setlist right after.
I think that they'll only play 6 songs of the album ("The Miracle", "Every Breaking Wave", "Song For Someone", "Iris", "Volcano" and "The Troubles") and then "California", "Raised By Wolves" and "Cedarwood Road" will somehow rotate or miss some shows (or most shows). I'm not seeing "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now" and "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" being played. I also think that "Invisible" and "Ordinary Love" will stay in the first legs of the tour and then leave it as the tour goes on.

I could perfectly see something like:

The Miracle
Volcano
11 O'clock Tick Tock
I Will Follow
Invisible
Elevation
Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
Magnificent
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
The First Time
Song For Someone |
| Vertigo
Raised By Wolves
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Iris
Every Breaking Wave
With Or Without You

Ordinary Love
The Troubles

No way dude. California is a definite lock to be played every night in the main set. Invisible will probably be played late in the set list, wouldnt make any sense to play it early or in the middle. It screams encore all the way. Volcano will probably be paired with Vertigo as a transition from the new songs to some of the older material. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now sounds like a song that will take off live, and they always play the penultimate track live(except Acrobat ?) and usually at length throughout their tours. Track placement is usually pretty consistent with what gets played live on the last few albums. It's typically in the 7-9 range where they don't play much of that material live and it would make sense that Cedarwood Road, Raised By Wolves, and Sleep Like A Baby would be in those spots, they don't give off much of a live vibe imo. ATYCLB: Peace On Earth, Wild Honey, When I Look At The World. POE was occasionally snipped, Wild Honey was rarely played and WILATW was shortly played once. Atomic Bomb: A Man and A Woman, Crumbs, One Step Closer. AMAAW was played once, Crumbs very rarely, and OSC never. No Line: SUC, Fez, WAS. Never played any of them.

I've got to be honest and say none of the new songs really leap out and scream "opener" to me. On HTDAAB it was fairly obvious that COBL, LAPOE, and Vertigo could all do the job; on NLOTH both Breathe and Magnificent struck me as openers (and the title track, but it never got used that way).

Volcano comes closest to opener material, I guess.

It's hard for me to see The Miracle as anything below the second song in the set list though.

I agree with this except I think WILATW would fit in with the new songs (also just really like to hear this song live).

I would love for them to try it out.

:up:

This is the set that I'd like to see, although I think it's probably borderline too wish-listy to ever happen.

1. The Miracle
2. Volcano
3. Two Hearts Beat as One
4. Beautiful Day
5. Wire
6. New Year’s Day

Acoustic Set:
7. Every Breaking Wave / Song for Someone
8. One

9. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10. The Fly
11. Get On Your Boots
12. California
13. In God's Country
14. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?
15. If God Will Send His Angels / Kite
16. Gone
17. Bullet the Blue Sky
18. Running to Stand Still
19. Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore 1:
20. Invisible
21. Vertigo
22. Sunday Bloody Sunday

Encore 2
23. Moment of Surrender
24. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
25. With or Without You
26. The Troubles

Either way, I'm expecting a very heavy focus on the earlier material (pre-Achtung). It would make the most sense, considering the thematic approach to Songs of Innocence.

Last edited:
01. California
02. The Miracle
03. Volcano
04. Beautiful Day
05. Song For Someone
06. Until The End Of The World
07. Cedarwood Road
08. New Year's Day
09. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
10. Breathe
11. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
12. Desire
13. Mysterious Ways
14. Please
15. Iris (Hold Me Close)
16. Raised By Wolves
17. Bullet The Blue Sky
18. Bad
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. One

21. Fez-Being Born
22. Hawkmoon 269
23. Every Breaking Wave
24. The Troubles

1. Iris
2. I will follow
3. The Miracle
4. Volcano
5. EBTTRT
6. Beautiful Day
7. Gloria
8. Every Breaking Wave
9. Song for Someone
10. Streets
11. COBL
12. Magnificent
13. California
14. Vertigo
15. Mysterious Ways
16. The Fly

17. One
18. ISHFWILF
19. ASOH
20. Reach Me

Encore 1

21. Elevation
22. One Tree Hill
23. Pride
24. Bad/Love is Blindness/Sleep

Encore 2

25. Love will tear us apart
26. The Troubles

I think we'll get:

Tomorrow
Mofo
I Will Follow
and a reworked Lemon

on a regular basis.

I also think they'll play Twilight and Another Time, Another Place regularly. And I Fall Down too, but with different lyrics in the bridge.

25. Love will tear us apart

I could totally see them playing Joy Division, but I think that song might be a bit obvious for them. Maybe Transmission or something a bit more rocking, or even Ceremony, to add a nice nod to New Order too. U2 would fucking destroy Ceremony.

1 Rock and Roll + I will follow
2 Sick Again
3 Over the Hills and Far Away
4 In My Time of Dying
5 The Song Remains the Same
6 Rain Song
7 Kashmir + Where the streets have no name
8 No Quarter
9 Trampled Underfoot
10 Moby Dick
11 Dazed and Confused
12 Stairway to Heaven (The Edge´s Acoustic version)
13 Whole Lotta Love
14 Black Dog
15 Heartbreaker

U2 - Godzilla Tour 2015/16

01 - Novelty Act
02 - Be There
03 - The Return of the Fly
04 - Mercy
05 - Winter
06 - Stir My Soul
07 - Home (This Bird Has Flown w/ Walk On - Snipped)
08 - The Sun, The Moon And The Stars
09 - Godzilla (2015 remake version)
10 - Full Metal Jacket (Native Son Guitar mix)
11 - Tripoli
12 - French Disco
13 - Mother of Pearl
14 - Mount Zion (Accoustic Version)
15 - WomanFish (Accoustic Version)
16 - Angels Too Tied To The Ground (Edge on the Vocals)

Encore 1

17 - No Man's Land
18 - If I Could Live My Life Again
19 - The Sacred Heart of Malibu (Larry on the Vocals and Aaron Elvis on the Drums)
20 - Pete the Chop w/ Jack in the Box

Encore 2

21 - Te Black Cat
22 - Cartoon World
23 - 40

I think we'll get:

Tomorrow
Mofo
I Will Follow
and a reworked Lemon

on a regular basis.

I also think they'll play Twilight and Another Time, Another Place regularly. And I Fall Down too, but with different lyrics in the bridge.

Other than I Will Follow, I would seriously doubt it. Tomorrow is a complete pipe dream, that is not happening. Lemon and Mofo are not completely unrealistic in that they have rehearsed both at some point on the last two tours. So they are on their mind to a certain degree, but still probably unlikely. Not sure where all the Twilight is talk is coming from. Because it was on Boy? I guess I never cared for it so I hope that is wrong just for that reason. ;)

Of course the caveat is that anything is possible. U2 have surprised us in the past (although not much and not for long typically). I just do not see most of these as happening even considering that.

I guess if we are just going off of "hope". My "hope/dream" would be God Part II. Dallas always brings it up to Edge when they are rehearsing. Doubt it will happen, but that is my pipedream song for the next tour. I would also "settle" for Hawkmoon 269 or how about A Sort Of Homecoming. :)

I love SOI so how about this for a set list

1 The Miracle
2 Every Breaking Wave
3 California
4 Song for Someone
5 Iris
6 Volcano
7 Raised by Wolves
8 Cedarwood Road
9 Sleep like a baby tonight
10This is where you can reach me now
11 The Troubles

Band go off for a very short break

12 streets
13 i will follow
14 new years day
15 until the end of the world
16 beautiful day
17 still havent found what im looking for
18 angel of harlem
19 desire
20 vertigo
21 sunday bloody sunday
22 pride
23 one

24 the fly
25 with or without you
26 invisible

How about that one??

1. The Miracle
2. Invisible
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. Iris
5. Volcano
6. Lucifer's Hands
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Song for Someone
9. Where The Streets Have No Name
10. Beautiful Day
11. Vertigo
12. Get On Your Boots
13. One
14. Ordinary Love
15. Moment of Surrender

16. California
17. The Crystal Ballroom
18. This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
19. The Troubles

1. The Miracle
2. Twilight
3. I will follow
4. Mofo (as a part of the mother-trilogy; new version, more rock than electronic)
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. One
8. Beautiful Day
9. Gloria
10. New Year's Day
11. Raised by wolves
12. Ordinary Love (acoustic)
13. Bad / All I want is you
14. Bullet the blue Sky / UTEOTW
15. Cedarwood Road
16. Sleep like a baby tonight
17. Where the Streets have no name
18. Every breaking wave

19. The crystal ballroom
20. This is where you can reach me now
21. Mysterious ways / Elevation
22. Vertigo

23. With or without you
24. The Troubles

1 Invisible
2 The Miracle
3 California
4 Volcano
5 Vertigo
6 Gloria/Out Of Control
7 Twilight/Electric Co.
7 White As Snow/October
8 New Years Day
9 I Will Follow
10 Tomorrow
11 Iris
12 Mofo (new arrangement)
13 Discotheque
14 Sleep Like A Baby/Velvet Dress(snippet)
15 Crystal Ballroom
16 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
17 Bullet/Sunday Bloody Sunday
18 Please/Running To Stand Still
19 The Troubles (Edge crazy solo)
20 Streets
21 One/Bad/WOWY (rotation)
Encore
22 COBL/Elevation
23 Beautiful Day
24 Kite/Sometimes You Can't Make It
25 Every Breaking Wave

Regarding crappier songs like Stand Up Comedy, the band themselves have acknowledged a track like Get On Your Boots being divisive among fans, so it's pretty unlikely that they're going to bust out any modern tracks that people could give a shit about. All told, I'm certain the U2 camp is well aware how much SUC is despised.

Regarding crappier songs like Stand Up Comedy, the band themselves have acknowledged a track like Get On Your Boots being divisive among fans, so it's pretty unlikely that they're going to bust out any modern tracks that people could give a shit about. All told, I'm certain the U2 camp is well aware how much SUC is despised.

The U2 camp(giggles) is well aware that SUC was inspired by you. So it's all your fault.

All Because Of Me...All Because of Me...

I'm an intellectual tortoise! :D

Back
Top Bottom