Opening Night Setlist Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd be shocked if U2 ever played another show without Streets. It seems almost incomprehensible now, and speaking for myself, I'd seriously feel like any U2 show without Streets would be missing something. To me, it's the only indispensable warhorse...all the others can be rotated in or out.

I think most fans (except for the "I'm sick of it" crowd around here) would be gutted to go to a U2 show and not hear Streets.

You are probably right but I do not think many fans at this show went home disappointed.

1989-11-18 Sydney Australia

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Desire / So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (snippet)
3. All Along The Watchtower
4. All I Want Is You / Sexual Healing (snippet)
5. God Part II / I Feel Love (snippet)
6. Bullet The Blue Sky / Neighbours Theme Song (snippet)
7. Running To Stand Still
8. Gloria
9. I Will Follow
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
12. Bad
13. Van Diemen's Land
14. New Year's Day
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):

16. Angel Of Harlem
17. When Love Comes To Town / In The Midnight Hour (snippet)
18. Love Rescue Me
19. 40 / Give Peace A Chance (snippet)

You are probably right but I do not think many fans at this show went home disappointed.

1989-11-18 Sydney Australia

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Desire / So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star (snippet)
3. All Along The Watchtower
4. All I Want Is You / Sexual Healing (snippet)
5. God Part II / I Feel Love (snippet)
6. Bullet The Blue Sky / Neighbours Theme Song (snippet)
7. Running To Stand Still
8. Gloria
9. I Will Follow
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
12. Bad
13. Van Diemen's Land
14. New Year's Day
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):

16. Angel Of Harlem
17. When Love Comes To Town / In The Midnight Hour (snippet)
18. Love Rescue Me
19. 40 / Give Peace A Chance (snippet)

True, but also DAMN. Look at that beauty of a setlist:

Hawkmoon?? God Part II??

I would have been HAPPY to give up Streets for one night to have seen this show.:drool::drool:

I like all of the ideas in this thread of songs segueing into other songs. I really wish the band would do this more often. Running To Stand Still >> Streets on ZooTV is one of my all time favorite concert moments.

I really think they could do something very cool with this on the new tour. The new material seems like it would fit right in with some of the older songs (Streets, One, WOWY).

True, but also DAMN. Look at that beauty of a setlist:

Hawkmoon?? God Part II??

I would have been HAPPY to give up Streets for one night to have seen this show.:drool::drool:

Thats kind of my point. I don't think any song HAS to be played. This show is generally regarded as one of U2's best performances, period. No Streets. I say this and Streets is one of my favorite U2 songs. I think they will play it on the next tour also. But no song HAS to be played if the pacing of the setlist is good and the performance of the songs is great which this show illustrates.

Thats kind of my point. I don't think any song HAS to be played. This show is generally regarded as one of U2's best performances, period. No Streets. I say this and Streets is one of my favorite U2 songs. I think they will play it on the next tour also. But no song HAS to be played if the pacing of the setlist is good and the performance of the songs is great which this show illustrates.

Totally agree with you. Streets is an excellent song and I absolutely LOVE seeing it live.

But, I've also seen it live several times. If I had the option to see them play Where The Streets Have No Name or like two or three obscure songs that are either rarely played or never played, I would pick the latter.

On a side note, do you know if that show has any bootlegs or videos online?

Note that the aforementioned show included "Bad" which kind of picks up a lot of the emotional weight that left the set when they didn't play "Streets"...I think most of us would be fine with not seeing "Streets" if we had something like "Bad" in there instead. The shows do need a really transcendent moment like that. "One" doesn't do it, especially now that they play it in a really tired manner and tie it in with gimmicks like people pulling out their cellphones. "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" obviously can't do that either...

So, a set without "Streets"? Sure, but it needs "Bad" or maybe some rarity thrown in for the first time to floor everyone (like "Red Hill Mining Town" or "Acrobat").

1. Reach
2. California
3. The Miracle
4. Beautiful Day
5. Kite
6. No Line On The Horizon/Elevation
7. A Sort Of Homecoming/Unforg.Fire
8. In God's Country/Desire
9. Hawkmoon/Trip Through Your Wires (I wish)
10. I will follow/Out of control
11. October/Hands That Built America
12. New Year's Day
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet
15. Please
16. Streets
17. Pride
18. Bad
Encore:
19. Vertigo
20. Volcano
21. COBL
22. One
23. Invisible
Encore 2:
24. Party Girl
25. Song For Someone
26. WOWY
27. EBW

Totally agree with this.

The interesting thing about the 1989-11-18 setlist is that Gloria is in the spot Streets would have normally occupied. Can anybody imagine U2 bringing Gloria into Streets' spot today? Interference would flip. :lol:

Well I'd hope Raised by Wolves and Cedarwood Road are back-to-back. Make for a great 1-2 punch on the album, maybe one of their best in that respect.

1. Reach
2. California
3. The Miracle
4. Beautiful Day
5. Kite
6. No Line On The Horizon/Elevation
7. A Sort Of Homecoming/Unforg.Fire
8. In God's Country/Desire
9. Hawkmoon/Trip Through Your Wires (I wish)
10. I will follow/Out of control
11. October/Hands That Built America
12. New Year's Day
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet
15. Please
16. Streets
17. Pride
18. Bad
Encore:
19. Vertigo
20. Volcano
21. COBL
22. One
23. Invisible
Encore 2:
24. Party Girl
25. Song For Someone
26. WOWY
27. EBW

What's "Reach?"

"This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now"...I've been confused by people calling it "Reach" as well...

More hilarious, I'd already forgot that song existed...

Not anymore...moved elsewhere in the Bay Area and I'm too stupid to change my profile. Believe me, I tried.

But no, in all honesty, I forgot that song existed. As I said in another thread, I tossed the album into my library on my hard drive for completeness sake (I like to have every official U2 recording that wasn't also released on a live DVD - no point in duplicating that material) and haven't heard it since a few days after it was released. That was one of the better songs in my opinion though and probably the best "rocker" of the bunch even if it's a bit weirder.

I actually wanted to listen to the album again, but Universal take down anything that's thrown on YouTube immediately and it won't even download or stream on iTunes. Hell, I got it via BitTorrent the first time which kind of shows how crappy Apple's delivery system happens to be for this release...anyway, just don't feel like downloading it again and have more music to listen to...but I do get a craving for "California"...it's really a great driving tune in line with "City of Blinding Lights"...a lot of liftoff.

Eh, what the hell. I'm thinking 10 years later, "Bomb" is going to get rediscovered:

The Miracle
Volcano
California
Invisible
Every Breaking Wave
Magnificent
Miracle Drug
A Sort of Homecoming
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
Iris
Until the End of the World
Cedarwood Road
Stay
Running to Stand Still
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
Crumbs from Your Table
Beautiful Day
Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Two Hearts Beat as One
One
With or Without You
Song for Someone

DREAM SONGS FROM ALBUMS I'D LOVE TO HEAR ON NEW TOUR :

BOY - Out of Control, An Cat Dubh, Electric Co.
OCTOBER - Tomorrow, I Threw a Brick Through a Window, Stranger in a Strange Land
WAR - Like a Song, Drowning Man, 40
THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, Wire, Elvis Presley and America
THE JOSHUA TREE - Exit, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, One Tree Hill
ACHTUNG BABY - Acrobat, Love is Blindness
ZOOROPA - Stay (Faraway, So Close)
PASSENGERS - Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo
POP - Please, Gone, Wake Up Dead Man
ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - Nothing
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB - Nothing
NO LINE ON THE HORIZON - Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, White as Snow
SONGS OF INNOCENCE - Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, The Troubles, This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, Every Breaking Wave (sadder live version, not upbeat studio version)

MORE REALISTIC SETLIST : Most I would love to see not included in setlist

BOY - I Will Follow
OCTOBER - Nothing
WAR - Sunday Bloody Sunday
The UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - Pride
The JOSHUA TREE - Streets, Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
ACHTUNG BABY - One
ZOOROPA - Nothing
PASSENGERS - Nothing
POP - Nothing
ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - Beautiful Day, Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB - Vertigo
NO LINE ON THE HORIZON - Nothing
SONGS OF INNOCENCE - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), Every Breaking Wave (upbeat version), California, Volcano, This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, The Troubles

If there's not a Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf" snippet at every "Raised By Wolves" performance, I'll be pissed :angry:

The snippetry has become static too, no?

Sometimes it does, yes.

But only one snippet was done at more than half of 360's shows (plus one done at exactly half). It can be pretty great when you get something unexpected:

U2 Drowning Man snippets in Moment of Surrender - U2 on tour
U2 Two Hearts Beat As One snippets in Vertigo - U2 on tour
U2 Always Forever Now - U2 on tour
U2 A Day Without Me snippets in The Unforgettable Fire - U2 on tour

Or something odd, funny, or silly:

U2 Fuck You, It's Over - U2 on tour
U2 Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) - U2 on tour
U2 I Gotta Feeling - U2 on tour

So which songs do people think will truly be the most successful live?

I'm more pessimistic that many about how many will work live - though usually there are some surprises. like for instance, I don't see Every Breaking Wave working very well.

I think Miracle is the most likely to work - big crowd pleasing rocker.

In general - I think it's the more rockings songs that will work -
Volcano should work, and probalby This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, though even that one I'm not totally confident about.

While there's no big WOWY type ballad that I think the casual fans will be excited about, (or even a Kite, or SYCMIOYO), I do think Sleep Like a Baby could be really cool. I'm not sure how the portion of the audience who don't learn the new songs will respond, but it could have a really awesome vibe.

The Troubles could be cool - but can they pull it off without Lykke Li- or will Bono sing along with a video of her, a la Lou Reed in ZooTV??

So which songs do people think will truly be the most successful live?

I'm more pessimistic that many about how many will work live - though usually there are some surprises. like for instance, I don't see Every Breaking Wave working very well.

I think Miracle is the most likely to work - big crowd pleasing rocker.

Huh, I don't really see The Miracle doing terribly well live, and I expect EBW to simply be a decent live track, neither a massive highlight nor a drag.

If they do Iris, given its meaning to Bono it could be the mid-show emotional high point like SYCMIOYO (much as I dislike the song) was on Vertigo.

Volcano and Cedarwood Road both have massive potential to tear it up. I think Volcano will do the best of any song on this album, unless they find a way to nail The Troubles - get that right and it should be a live classic.

Huh, I don't really see The Miracle doing terribly well live, and I expect EBW to simply be a decent live track, neither a massive highlight nor a drag.

If they do Iris, given its meaning to Bono it could be the mid-show emotional high point like SYCMIOYO (much as I dislike the song) was on Vertigo.

Volcano and Cedarwood Road both have massive potential to tear it up. I think Volcano will do the best of any song on this album, unless they find a way to nail The Troubles - get that right and it should be a live classic.

If well executed, The Troubles might be able to recapture what they've lacked since Please. A real gut ripping, in your face song that just blows you away. But who knows, it could very well not work at all. I know that seems a bit unfair to compare it to arguably U2's best song of all time(argued by me), but it has incredible potential.

1. Miracle
2. Vertigo
3. I Will Follow
4. Boots
5. Volcano
6. Elevation
7. Desire (full band)
8. California
9. Ordinary Love (acoustic)
10. Song for Someone (acoustic)
11. Please (acoustic)
12. Beautiful Day