London #5 Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what i think is so frustrating is that aroudn 10 songs could quite easily be replaced by much better songs

roll on the U2 greatest hits tour

i'll be in London tomorrow for the final show - so hopefully they will mix it up - but I think the proble is some of the stalwarts are the ones that you want them to get rid of.

:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i defy anyone to find a worse setlist than this. and by setlist, i mean one that's actually been played not some theoretical setlist.

Challenge accepted. Surely a whole bunch of third leg Elevation shows are worse, especially those that didn't even crack 20 songs, e.g. U2 Los Angeles, 2001-11-13, Staples Center, Elevation Tour - U2 on tour

(Though no tour can rival this one for a poor encore.)

i don't even know why i check in on these threads, the fact that a website with the most rabid fans on the planet can only produce 8 pages for a night 5 show tells you everything you need to know about the state of u2 these days.

It is disappointing how they've moved away from having interesting nights 3+. On Elevation and Vertigo you could be sure that a night 3 or 4 setlist would be interesting and unusual - even on the stadium legs. On 360 they began to move away from that (like when they wussed out of the more interesting stuff they soundchecked at Dublin 3), and ever since there's been very little to make a night 4 - or even a night 8! - stand out from nights 1 and 2.

Challenge accepted. Surely a whole bunch of third leg Elevation shows are worse, especially those that didn't even crack 20 songs, e.g. U2 Los Angeles, 2001-11-13, Staples Center, Elevation Tour - U2 on tour

It is disappointing how they've moved away from having interesting nights 3+. On Elevation and Vertigo you could be sure that a night 3 or 4 setlist would be interesting and unusual - even on the stadium legs. On 360 they began to move away from that (like when they wussed out of the more interesting stuff they soundchecked at Dublin 3), and ever since there's been very little to make a night 4 - or even a night 8! - stand out from nights 1 and 2.

Looks like you win! But only by a hair...

Writing this after having been at the show with a fellow lifelong u2 buddy, and then having a few drinks to celebrate. You guys can berate the setlist, and I know it wasn't the greatest or even close. But it was effing good to be there, and I talked to a lot of people afterwards, everyone was pleased as punch with the show. So on paper it might not look good, but it was a pretty nice experience to be there. There was so much energy during the first four songs, and EBTTRT, Elevation, UTEOTW, WTSHNN and EBW were big highlights.
It was just a great feeling to be there, and on paper the setlist may have sucked, but the 20,000 there certainly enjoyed the shit out of the show

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Writing this after having been at the show with a fellow lifelong u2 buddy, and then having a few drinks to celebrate. You guys can berate the setlist, and I know it wasn't the greatest or even close. But it was effing good to be there, and I talked to a lot of people afterwards, everyone was pleased as punch with the show. So on paper it might not look good, but it was a pretty nice experience to be there. There was so much energy during the first four songs, and EBTTRT, Elevation, UTEOTW, WTSHNN and EBW were big highlights.
It was just a great feeling to be there, and on paper the setlist may have sucked, but the 20,000 there certainly enjoyed the shit out of the show

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

thank you!

well i guess the setlist whiners have some entertainment value at least - fecking hilarious :D

I think some of us are losing perspective on the difference between a bad setlist and a boringly static setlist.

My sister lives in London and I sent her to the show as a birthday gift. I'm the U2 nut, she just has a casual enjoyment of them from growing up around their music being played, but the show blew her mind.

Complaining about set lists is an absolute mug's game - the impression it makes on people like her is what counts.

U2 are NOT above criticism - they ARE charging upto 185 a seat which is an astronomical amount even compared to a lot of the other big bands that have been around since the 70's/80's and sold a similar number of albums.

The fact is, there is no incentive for them to mix up the setlists massivley anyway I suppose as

a) people have bought their tickets
b) most people will be watching the show once
c) the people complaining about setlists will still suck it up and go anyway as they are U2 fans

U2 are NOT above criticism - they ARE charging upto 185 a seat which is an astronomical amount even compared to a lot of the other big bands that have been around since the 70's/80's and sold a similar number of albums.

The fact is, there is no incentive for them to mix up the setlists massivley anyway I suppose as

a) people have bought their tickets
b) most people will be watching the show once
c) the people complaining about setlists will still suck it up and go anyway as they are U2 fans

No one is coming even close to saying they're above criticism.

And no, that is not astronomical compared to others.

The point is there's an entire group of folks that bitch about setlists, when all they're doing is reading them on a screen. It doesn't reflect reality.

The majority of people going to these shows are only going to be seeing a single show on the tour. So that's why the setlists are, as they always have been with U2, quite static and built on that premise of delivering that kind of slick performance and the best show they can for your average fan. This sort of thread appears on so many band forums once they've been around a while and/or their popularity rockets.

One thing which probably did set up us on here for a bit of disappointment was the initial talk of them putting on two very different shows with different setlists. That obviously never transpired and to be honest, I think it was wishful thinking because unless you're doing a long residency over a period of weeks, or specifically saying at the point of sale that its not going to be a traditional type setlist, people are going to turn up expecting to see a greatest hits + new stuff type show.

I saw them at the O2 last night and it was one of the best performances I've ever seen from them, much better than anything I've seen since the Zoo TV era (although I still love Popmart). The band seem to be enjoying it even more than ever whilst also being absolutely on the top of their game - brimming with confidence & swagger whilst also looking very relaxed and enjoying it. OK, so Bono's voice isn't what it is, but all those ingredients above plus the show they've crafted for this tour and it all made for a very special experience. It certainly didn't feel like a greatest hits type setlist or show, the new stuff was front and centre.

At the moment, i could see them releasing a new album and returning to do more arena shows and i'd love that. I'd also love to see them doing longer residencies somewhere at some point in their career and having really diverse or themed setlists (playing whole albums from start to finish or songs of a certain theme, a b-side setlist etc), but I just can't see it when they're putting out great new music and clearly having a ball playing those songs.

I'd probably be more "bothered" by static(ish) setlists if I didn't hear so many people raving about the shows (myself included).

I am not expecting anything remotely excited for Dublin 1 or 2, but hell, I'm excited to see them again because they really are putting on fucking awesome shows this tour.

No one is coming even close to saying they're above criticism.

And no, that is not astronomical compared to others.

The point is there's an entire group of folks that bitch about setlists, when all they're doing is reading them on a screen. It doesn't reflect reality.

the reality is that volcano, elevation, GYOB, and to a lesser extent vertigo are some of the very worst songs u2 have ever put out. they're all the same song more or less regurgitated. and to have to endure them all, more or less, in one show is ridiculous.

the reality is that volcano, elevation, GYOB, and to a lesser extent vertigo are some of the very worst songs u2 have ever put out. they're all the same song more or less regurgitated. and to have to endure them all, more or less, in one show is ridiculous.

GOYB was played?

I'm not sure why you quoted my post in order to regurgitate your previous post?!

GOYB was played?

I'm not sure why you quoted my post in order to regurgitate your previous post?!

I had read GOYB was played... To some extent. perhaps I was wrong?

Also I dont remember exactly why I quoted your post?!

Listening from afar..

London #3 is the best show I've heard so far this tour (I've heard maybe half the shows this tour).

Today (London #6) was a bit below average despite Bad / 40.

I'll continue to whinge politely suggest to whoever listens that some Pop songs should be played at some point, but it's no guarantee that the show will be any better.

This!:up:

May I also nominate any number of Leg 1 shows on 360?

Very static, 4 unknown, not so great live NLOTH songs to open losing the crowd, early 80s rockers completely absent. No EBTTRT or Zooropa or October.

I get that this tour has been more static across multiple nights and I, like others, think they can change that.

But does it detract from the overall quality of the show like set list choices have in the past?

Absolutely not!

I saw this tour 5 times and have listened to multiple streams/watched many videos.

Consistently, night in and night out:

-The opening is blowing the roof of the place. Joey Ramone into Electric Co (OOC, Gloria) into Vertigo into I Will Follow is just unbelievable. So much energy. Perfect contrast to 360. Grabs everyone's attention right out of the gate. Exactly what they needed. The biggest complaints I heard about 360 were from the old time avid fans who felt that they were thrown NO bones at all in the set list. Now, they get 2 songs right up front. You've hooked them versus sending them to the beer line.

-The SOI songs and their stories are being revealed in a breathtaking "Innocence" set. The passion for and belief in these songs that the band has is evident. The stories are helped along brilliantly by their relation to 2 of U2's best live songs- SBS and Until The End of The World.

-The screen is being used to introduce one of their best new songs in ages, Invisible and showcase a (relatively) underplayed EBTTRT.

-The E stage is fun every night. Yes, they're playing Elevation and Desire all the time, but look how they're playing them!! Desire sounds like it did in the R&H studio performance, with Larry and Adam actually playing. Who thought we'd get full band Party Girl or 2 Hearts or Crystal Ballroom out there?

-October/Bullet/Zooropa/Streets/Pride/WOWY is spectacular. Tell the needed war/political story and roll through the hits as you do it. The energy builds and builds and builds and the message is beautiful.

-The encore could be better, of course, but come on!

It's there because the 2 main sets are so good, so coherent, so good at telling their story and building energy, that this is the only place for BD and COBL.

Are they as good as say, Bad and Pride? Or New Year's Day and Gloria? No.

Are they great songs that deserve a spot? Absolutely.

Then you have the closing numbers. Still Haven't Found and Bad/40 have been awesome. One has been lacking this tour.

All 4 are some of the best songs ever written.

So we really need to chill the F out as fans.

U2 are performing so passionately and energetically this tour, and they believe in what they're doing.

I'd take that over a little more variation and lackluster performances.... not to mention any tours by name, like Vertigo!

Just look up any performance of Gloria on Vertigo and compare it to the performances this tour.

I'd take that over variety for variety's sake.

^Good post. That Staples Center show looks a bit of a disaster apart from Please!

I attended one of the LA shows (Sunday night) and London #3. London #3 blew it out of the water, partly due to the performance but mainly due to the flow of the setlist. It's annoying they aren't changing things up massively but those first two sets flow beautifully now they've had a few tweaks.

EBW/October/BTBS/Zooropa/Streets/Pride/WOWY is fantastic and breathes a lot of life into those old songs. The Zooropa/Streets transition isn't quite RTSS/Streets from ZooTV but it's getting up there!

The first set is well established, flows well and tells a good story.

The only two flat parts of the show for me are Invisible and COBL as I don't think either are particularly strong opening tracks, but Invisible gives the 2nd set somewhere to grow from so I understand its place in the set. If it was me, I'd have Zoo Station open the encore followed by BD followed by Bad/40. Part of Bad's magic is not hearing it every night though.

It'd also be good to see the Desire/Elevation rotation get more varied, I don't honestly think it matters what song gets played in that slot so being restricted to those two songs makes no sense.

I saw VERTIGO three times and SOI twice.

Personally thought VERTIGO was a better show.

I missed ELEVATION but I suspect that was also much better than all 3 tours after it.

I only ever saw the stadium Vertigo show and it was OK, but I much preferred 360 and I+E. If you're talking about weak encores then finishing with All Because of You, Yahweh and Vertigo (again) was a serious low point after the highs of the Zoo mini-set to open the encore...

Elevation was great mainly because it was indoors and included songs from Pop! :applaud:

Went to London 6 last night and thought it was brilliant. The band all looked to be enjoying themselves, Bono sounded great and the sound was good. My ears are still ringing a bit though.

First 4 songs were a good strong opening and the variation in the presentation for the Innocence was great.

Invisible was a bit odd as people weren't really into it until the video effects went off leaving the band exposed in the cage and then it took off.

Mysterious Ways and Desire went down a storm.

Bullet was back to it's best. Really powerful stuff.

Not a huge fan of BD but it worked well in the set.

Got to see Bad/40 which was the finale I wanted. :hyper:

If you're talking about weak encores then finishing with All Because of You, Yahweh and Vertigo (again) was a serious low point after the highs of the Zoo mini-set to open the encore...

This totally. The Vertigo repeat was a real head scratcher.

even 40 on the Vertigo tour wasn't that great. after ABOY and Yahweh, it was long, meandering, and felt like a drag to end the show. 40 on this tour has been fantastic in getting to the point, especially with Bad proceeding it

I thought Yahweh on the Vertigo tour was well done - it isn't the best song but the videos on the stadium gigs certainly was really cool and I think the crowd liked it - infact I think the Yahweh screen footage was probably the best of the entire show.

The Vertigo thing was weird but there was no doubt it left people leaving on a massive high.

Bono was also 10 years younger then and far more energetic

Back
Top Bottom