2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
case in point to my points in the last thread about the ominous messages being posted on Instagram, this is from that article in the Independent that was posted the other day...

Does he feel the stakes are very high for U2 with this tour?

"Yes," he answers and then stops.

I press him as to why he feels that.

"Because though we believe in ourselves and particularly believe in this series of songs," Bono says, "there is always that part of yourself that thinks: 'C'mon. It's been 30 years. Why don't we just fuck off and get out of the way of the next thing?'"

Were he ever tempted to f**k off and get out of the way?

"Oh, yeah. Lots of times. I am, actually, at a point where I am interested to know will these songs land? I know 35m people have been listening to them regularly but does that mean they mean as much to them as other songs?" Bono asks.

"I don't know," he adds, almost haltingly. "So, we'll see.

"By the way, if we don't perform them well, then how do we expect them to land? You know, I've got vocal issues at the moment. There are a few things that could inhibit, but if we get a true performance - and the songs truly don't land - I'm out of here. . ."

... that's Bono pretty much saying that if he/they feel that these songs don't take, that that's it for them.

It's midnight in Sydney, and I'm all like drunk and shit, and wondering whether it would be good for me to get some shut-eye or something like that... cunts..!
Like... start the.. bloody.. set-list party already guys.. Geeeeeessuuuusss!

Sil is going to be in San Jose as well, according to Instagram.

Sent out of penis envy

case in point to my points in the last thread about the ominous messages being posted on Instagram, this is from that article in the Independent that was posted the other day...

... that's Bono pretty much saying that if he/they feel that these songs don't take, that that's it for them.

I imagine its Bono the Liar :) hyperbole, but nonetheless :) a bit of a scary :) thought.

I don't see anything too ominous by the Instagram picture.

We'll see how the rest of the tour unfolds, but from the videos it seems like the crowd has responded for the most part positively to the new stuff.

Click :) Clack :)

That said,
they need to fix Every Breaking Wave.

At least have Larry and Adam come in on the middle 8/final chorus like they did on the promo tour to give it more oomph.

That was pretty much my take away from that article as well. I also really got the impression (which I just guess confirms what I suspected) that, absent some special motivation (e.g. a BB King tribute) playing the old songs really does nothing...nada...zilch for them these days, it's all about the new songs. Obviously, unlike some bands, I think when U2 stops making records, they will stop touring.

Will be really interesting to see how people respond to them as the tour goes on.

i think it's just Bono saying the same ol' things but using different words.

True, this could be it for them, but i think they still have some fire in them.

i think it's just Bono saying the same ol' things but using different words.

True, this could be it for them, but i think they still have some fire in them.

He used to say "2 crap albums and we're done" and yet they still put out albums so i wouldn't read too much into that just yet :wink:

Sil is going to be in San Jose as well, according to Instagram.

Anyone thinking that we ought to just gofundme the entire leg for guaranteed live audio/video?

The band really should have some sort of satellite or download system available. Jimmy Buffett has every single one of his shows broadcast live on Radio Margaritaville on SiriusXM. Why the hell can't we get an all U2 all the time station on Sirius and the band broadcasts all their shows live as well? With rebroadcasts on off days so that various time zones get a listen as well? I'd be more willing to pay for that than a U2.com membership!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Bono Interview

What is this talk about Bono having "vocal issues at the moment" ??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using U2 Interference mobile app

Just a general question: if U2 do arenas in the U.S. next year, what are the odds they will do single shows in cities like, say, Columbus? While I'm certain they couldn't sell out 2 shows there, they could definitely do 1. I would prefer to not have at least 1 show in my local-ish area. Columbus, Cleveland, Cincy, Louisville and Indianapolis are all within a 3 hour drive of my house, and have sizeable arenas. It'd be nice to be able to drive home after a show, even if that means getting in at 4am.

If Chicago can get 5 shows, surely one of those cities can get 1. They seem somewhat rigid on the multiple nights in one city, and I get it, that makes them more money. But surely they realize they'd be leaving money on the table by not doing single night stands.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I am staying in SF for the two SJ shows and after getting my GA-Line wristband this morning I don't plan to head back to SF just to drive back to the arena at 5. Anyone else in the area up for grabbing a drink in San Jose?

Just a general question: if U2 do arenas in the U.S. next year, what are the odds they will do single shows in cities like, say, Columbus? While I'm certain they couldn't sell out 2 shows there, they could definitely do 1. I would prefer to not have at least 1 show in my local-ish area. Columbus, Cleveland, Cincy, Louisville and Indianapolis are all within a 3 hour drive of my house, and have sizeable arenas. It'd be nice to be able to drive home after a show, even if that means getting in at 4am.

If Chicago can get 5 shows, surely one of those cities can get 1.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I wouldn't expect single shows while they're playing arenas. No doubt the economics of the tour is designed to have at least two "gates" (income from a show) to offset the cost breakdown/travel/setup in between cities. One thing we learned from 360 is that this band knows how to make money on tour, and they've publicly stated they won't stage a tour that loses money (think it goes back to PopMart).

Personally, I think all the talk about different shows from night1 to night2 was the RESULT of needing a minimum of two shows per city - not the CAUSE. ("Lads, if we want to tour arenas with this huge production, we're going to have to play at least two shows per city." "Okay, then, let's make the shows a little different, so fans will get something a little different on the second night.")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom