2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so honed in on the Blackhawks game that I couldn't follow the set at all. Pretty cool that there haven't been two sets that were exactly the same.

True.

The more I think about the Van 2nd show though, the more confused I am. I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to.

I find that quite interesting. Know couple of people who went to both VAN shows and both think that VAN2 was great and superior to VAN 1
:hmm::hmm:

I'm specifically referring to the guy who BOUGHT a ticket but is threatening NOT TO GO based on what he's seen & heard so far. Jesus man, that's a massive call!!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

you're right, that's crazy! hopefully the ticket will be sold at face value to someone who wants to go.

Batfink27 said:
True.

The more I think about the Van 2nd show though, the more confused I am. I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to.

What was so bad about it, just out of curiosity? I've really been enjoying the bootlegs.

Agree about the Troubles. I find it a bit annoying that they decided to kick it out both nights in a row in what seems to be a last minute decision, just as if Bono was panicking over the song before it was supposed to start. Honestly, they need to give it a chance before they can judge the audience reaction, they've only played it once so far. Also, I agree about the set needing more SOI songs - I'd be fine with ALL of them including Lucifer and Crystal Ballroom. I don't get why Reach me now and Volcano are missing at all, they seem to be great songs to be performed live.

Could the omission of The Troubles have anything to do with Bono having vocal issues? He seemed to struggle with it in Vancouver, at least that was my impression based on the videos.

I agree with the vocal issues, when I listened to the opening night it sounded if he was playing safe and struggled a bit towards the end of Troubles, if that is the case why not adapt it slightly to make it more comfortable for him, not just drop it like a lead balloon .

I was at Van and 2 was better than 1 in terms of band and fan energy. Plus, the sound was a bit better. There was nothing wrong with the 1st night either. Especially now that I see that witnessing the Troubles may end up being a rare treat.

I agree with the vocal issues, when I listened to the opening night it sounded if he was playing safe and struggled a bit towards the end of Troubles, if that is the case why not adapt it slightly to make it more comfortable for him, not just drop it like a lead balloon .

Well you can't drop the key because of the other vocals.

:lol: No kidding.

Next time somebody questions how I feel about this band, I think I can safely just point them towards these two tweets, when I had no idea what else to say: https://twitter.com/u2gigs/status/600863092185038848 and https://twitter.com/u2gigs/status/600863177266434048
:giggle: Awesome.

If this place was nothing but butterflies and rainbows unicorns when it comes to U2 the only section of this forum that would be left works be PLEBA.

U2 are almost like extended family to many of us, who never send a fucking Christmas card.

You love your family, but you don't always like what they do. Healthy families discuss their issues. :shrug:

The majority of those who may say something that is "negative" about the band also say/do hundreds of wonderful things about them as well. Of course there are some exceptions to this... ( :) ) ... but the majority of us really really love U2.

I mean for fucks sake Axver may nitpick about set lists, but the guy runs one of the greatest fan resources on the internet; something that I'm sure takes up hours and hours of his free time. To say he doesn't like the band because he doesn't like some of the things they do is just plain silly.

A bleedin' awesome dysfunctional family. :D

But yeah, I may have been more negative lately cause I don't give a damn about the latest album, but that doesn't mean I can't love U2. They're still my favourite band, I still love them to bits, but yeah, not going to be all drooly over shit I don't care about. Check my responses to them rehearsing Miracle Drug for an example. :wink: That song is to me what Electric Co is to Ax.

A lot of people (including me) complain about U2 relying on the warhorses, but there's one that nobody ever complains about (aside from Streets, of course):

UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD

What a monster. I hope they continue to play it at nearly every show. It's their 11th most played song, and the only one that isn't a big hit. That solo...

The visual for it on this tour is really cool.

A lot of people (including me) complain about U2 relying on the warhorses, but there's one that nobody ever complains about (aside from Streets, of course):

What a monster. I hope they continue to play it at nearly every show. It's their 11th most played song, and the only one that isn't a big hit. That solo...

I wouldn't miss it if it was replaced if I'm honest, it's not one I listen to very much on AB

Agreed so much. Those two songs are just something else live. The studio versions are good... but live? Fuckin' transcendent!

Uteotw is the one that has gotten away from me so far :-(

On 360, Edge swung over my head while playing the UTEOTW solo. I was like two feet away from one of my favorite guitarists playing arguably his best solo. That shit fucking rocked, no other way to describe it.

Agreed with everything here. It's probably one of my five favorite songs by them, so that helps... but this and Streets need to be at every show for me.

On 360, Edge swung over my head while playing the UTEOTW solo. I was like two feet away from one of my favorite guitarists playing arguably his best solo. That shit fucking rocked, no other way to describe it.

Nice. At one of the Vertigo shows when I was in the ellipse (Boston, I believe 12/5/05), he played the UTEOTW solo and the MW slide solo near me. Pretty awesome.

I wouldn´t mind dropping End Of The World either. It´s been overplayed through the years. Why not replacing it with Boy Fall From The Sky if you want a great rocker and something fresh...

I actually like Boy Falls From the Sky, but to call it a "great rocker" is a bit of a stretch.

I was at a Passion Pit concert last night, and checked Twitter between the bands. I saw the U2gigs tweets and said "Oh, Axver's running it tonight!" :lol:

Swap UTEOTW for Boy? Blasphemy...

Why not replace WOWY with Grace, while we are it?
Hell why not "ah, fuck it!" and play The Refugee, Red Light, Peace on Earth and Babyface on the same set in this same order?

Come on...
I can stand by those that say "safe setlist, etc, etc" but if there's one song that should be in all those setlists is Until The End of The World...
It's breathtaking, mindblowing, a monster and (on a personal note) it's "THE ROCKER", even though I like The Fly's solo better.

I had one FB friend say they were disappointed that UTEOTW was still in the setlist.

I may have called her crazy.

End Of The World is a great live number, but it needs a rest, Bono didn´t help it with mumbling through it since Popmart, at least I hope it gets better this tour with his overaly improved singing

I have seen 30 shows and seen uteow at just about all of them. I still enjoy it but would much prefer exit, gone, the fly, breathe or mofo. They have plenty of other rockers that it could easily take a break. It's certainly not in the streets class of has to be played. I am not complaining about it, but to act like they have no other rock songs to rotate it with is a bit much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom