2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if they ninja mindfucked everybody and did a random setlist like this?

Elvis Presley And America
Another Day
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Out Of Control
Drowning Man
Get On Your Boots
One
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Raised By Wolves
I Fall Down

The Refugee
Fire
Holy Joe
Cedars Of Lebanon
Bullet The Blue Sky
In A Little While
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
With a Shout (Jerusalem)
Babyface
Mofo

Fast Cars
Always
Exit
Moment Of Surrender

Then I expect I would need a new pair of trousers :love:

"We might lose some of the pop kids, but we don't need them."

That's what you mean? Bono said that a number of times throughout the 90s.

It's amazing how much more confident U2 were in 1992 than they've been since Pop.

During 360, Bono said that there were songs that they had to play, basically for the sake of nostalgia in the audience.

Yes, they were on fire during ZooTv. They stepped out of their shadows and started a rollercoaster ride. They played regularly 10 songs off Achtung Baby per show. That´s the way you promote your new record!

Since then U2 has become partly lost in their own trap. They always want to be the biggest, the most succesful, popular in mainstream. They want big, big audience and therefore they have to play a big number of classic hits every night, no matter how tired of them they must be. It´s a price for their big egos :)

I actually like One so far with the new arrangement (no strings, no Bono guitar). Bono let the crowd sing much of it at the second Phoenix show (which we did, heartily).

I think it's really refreshing to hear it so stripped down and loose after so many years of hearing similar arrangements.

I actually like One so far with the new arrangement (no strings, no Bono guitar). Bono let the crowd sing much of it at the second Phoenix show (which we did, heartily).

I think it's really refreshing to hear it so stripped down and loose after so many years of hearing similar arrangements.

From the videos I have seen it does seem to build up well and is one of the songs they have rearranged

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but atU2 is reporting that Larry's former bodyguard David Guyer has been sentenced to 10 yrs in prison after a series of bank heists. Apparently he was on the lam for 2 yrs and his arrest was a surreal scene.

Bizarre but true.

Link to article in their "News and Rumors" section of the forums.

Perhaps part of the problem is that U2 have stuck fairly rigidly to the same warhorses tour after tour, despite having enough material that you could fill two setlists with nothing but international hits.

This is the band that keeps playing Mysterious Ways, even though they have EBTTRT - which was left out of the setlist for a decade despite being a big single. HMTMKMKM, also very well known, was left out for twelve years while the likes of WOWY just got more and more plodding. Sweetest Thing, probably their most globally popular single between HMTMKMKM and Beautiful Day, had only 33 performances to its name before this year. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and In God's Country are singles from U2's two best selling albums, yet have been played exceedingly rarely since their debut tours. The Unforgettable Fire was again a successful single and appears on a Best Of, yet went almost twenty years between performances. All I Want Is You(!!) has often struggled to hold down a permanent position; Popmart is the only tour since Lovetown when it has appeared at a majority of shows. I don't need to tell the tale of Discotheque.

So imagine a U2 set containing: EBTTRT, HMTMKMKM, Sweetest Thing, WGRYWH, In God's Country, Unforgettable Fire, AIWIY, and Discotheque.

It's safe to say that apart from a few usual suspects, there would be very little complaint here, lots of elation, and most casual fans would be very happy to hear all these hits they know from Best Ofs/JT/AB.

I hate to ask this, but I thought I saw someone post footage of Bono interacting with fake Bono on stage today and I was at work so couldn't watch, and now I can't find it, did I imagine this?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

the comments about sleepwalking is also part of the reason why it would benefit the band to rotate some of these songs... they HAVE to be tired of playing some of them.

This is exactly my minor issue as well. I don't care how many times they play a song if there's life in them. When they stopped even trying (no classic improvs in WOWY and One) that's when I started to wish they'd play something else. That's all. I don't care if the songs are there. If that makes sense.

Also, that impersonator went for all of the little embellishments in Sweetest Thing, and it was great. I'm not sure we would have actually heard all if the high parts we did if Bono had been singing the 3rd verse :lol:.

I remember setlist bitching as far back as the ZOO TV Tour. Anyone experience that on the Joshua Tree Tour or UF tour?

Anyways, we are just a few shows into the start of a new tour here in 2015. Just over 23 years ago U2 had also just started a new tour in March 1992 called ZOO TV. Here is MTV's report of the opening night, including some discussion about the setlist and fan disappointment with the setlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry42AY3efqw

Wow, Zoo Station and The Fly sound like fucking shit in this clip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom