2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm proud to say I once quit a job so that I could go to a U2 concert. I worked 2nd shift in a factory, I was 19, and the Elevation tour was coming my way. I had tickets to Columbus and Indianapolis. I went to ask for the Columbus show off first, thinking I'd figure the Indy show out later. My supervisor said "you've been here for only 2 months and you're asking for TIME OFF???!!! I DON'T THINK SO!!!" So I tried to get the guy who worked 1st shift to trade me spots for the concerts. He said "NO", because he had to be home from work by the time his kids got off the school bus, which I can totally understand now that I'm a father and a real adult, but back then I thought "LAME"!!!

So I did the only thing a hardcore U2 fan in my position would do. I QUIT! But I was only 19 and had nothing to lose. I quit, I went to those 2 shows and savored every second, and then I reassessed my options and went to college the next year, and put myself on the path to where I am today.

The lesson here is this; quit your job for U2 concerts!

Yeah nearly 15 years later I wouldn't be giving this advice to kids. :wink: The job market has changed significantly. But telling kids to go to college is always good!

Guys, relax this picture is not even in Vancouver. I just walked by Rogers Arena yesterday and there is nobody camping out.

There might be a couple of people that will camp out the night before, but that will be it. There really is no reason to line up, unless you are trying to reserve a rail spot. With there being no inner circle area to get into, I think the line up thing won't be as big a deal this time around.

qy2ecBz.jpg

Can not unsee. Goddammit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah nearly 15 years later I wouldn't be giving this advice to kids. :wink: The job market has changed significantly. But telling kids to go to college is always good!

Yeah, now here I am 33 years old, kids of my own, a wife, a mortgage, and a shitload of things to pay for. I definitely couldn't quit my job now, even if I wanted to (which I don't). I was directionless my first year out of high school, and my friend worked at that factory and was bragging about all the money he made, and all his benefits. So I thought "screw going to college. While all my other friends are going into debt with student loans, I'm gonna be making big bucks!" Turns out, money isn't everything. For every directionless kid fresh out of high school, I would fully recommend getting a job like I had. There's nothing like being thrown out into the real world cold turkey to make you think about what you really want in life. I could seriously write a book on this topic...

But now my job and family life is such that I can only take off enough time to go to 1 of the Chicago shows. Taking 2 days off of work in early July is going to piss a few people off, but at least I'm not quitting! Haha! I'm still very excited for my 1 Chicago show (July 2, GA) but I hope next year they come to Ohio for my own convenience!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm proud to say I once quit a job so that I could go to a U2 concert. I worked 2nd shift in a factory, I was 19, and the Elevation tour was coming my way. I had tickets to Columbus and Indianapolis. I went to ask for the Columbus show off first, thinking I'd figure the Indy show out later. My supervisor said "you've been here for only 2 months and you're asking for TIME OFF???!!! I DON'T THINK SO!!!" So I tried to get the guy who worked 1st shift to trade me spots for the concerts. He said "NO", because he had to be home from work by the time his kids got off the school bus, which I can totally understand now that I'm a father and a real adult, but back then I thought "LAME"!!!

So I did the only thing a hardcore U2 fan in my position would do. I QUIT! But I was only 19 and had nothing to lose. I quit, I went to those 2 shows and savored every second, and then I reassessed my options and went to college the next year, and put myself on the path to where I am today.

Awesome. As long as your responsibilities are taken care of do what makes you happy. I used to own a mobile dj company and I would book up every weekend from May to September, sometimes twice a week for $1100 a night. In 2009 though the 360 tour was happening so in January/February I think when most of my summer booking were made I had to turn people away because I was waiting for the tour schedule to be announced. My reference of time might be off here but I know I turned down gigs waiting for the tour dates to be announced. There was no way I was going to miss the tour because I was busy djing somebody's wedding. In the end I turned down 11 bookings. ELEVEN!! Do the math! But booking up my summer and missing the tour would not have made me happy. I ended up seeing 4 shows that September and had most weekends off that summer. It was the right choice for me at the time. Sure would be nice to have that $12000 now though :lol:

As for getting time off from work, obviously it depends on the job but if an employer isn't willing to allow you time off to embrace one of your passions once every 4-5 years then in all honesty I would really question whether I would want to work there anymore. Most times when I ask for time off for something like this I explain it that way. "Look it's once every 5 years and this is one of my biggest passions". I've never been denied. Most employers are smart enough to realize that if you deny your employees the things they love in life they won't be your employees for long. Unfortunately not all employers grasp this concept.

Yeah, now here I am 33 years old, kids of my own, a wife, a mortgage, and a shitload of things to pay for. I definitely couldn't quit my job now, even if I wanted to (which I don't). I was directionless my first year out of high school, and my friend worked at that factory and was bragging about all the money he made, and all his benefits. So I thought "screw going to college. While all my other friends are going into debt with student loans, I'm gonna be making big bucks!" Turns out, money isn't everything. For every directionless kid fresh out of high school, I would fully recommend getting a job like I had. There's nothing like being thrown out into the real world cold turkey to make you think about what you really want in life. I could seriously write a book on this topic...

But now my job and family life is such that I can only take off enough time to go to 1 of the Chicago shows. Taking 2 days off of work in early July is going to piss a few people off, but at least I'm not quitting! Haha! I'm still very excited for my 1 Chicago show (July 2, GA) but I hope next year they come to Ohio for my own convenience!

:wave: Hi fellow Ohioan! Mr CK and I are going to the first two Chicago shows (bringing the oldest with us as well!), and thank god he has the vacation time to do so. I am a stay at home mom mostly because I wouldn't make enough working to pay for daycare lol.

I'm really hoping they do a show in Cleveland, Columbus, or Pittsburgh next year when they do the outdoor/stadium leg. This traveling to Chicago is kinda hard on the finances...but if it's travel or miss it, I'll travel every time! ;)

:wave: Hi fellow Ohioan! Mr CK and I are going to the first two Chicago shows (bringing the oldest with us as well!), and thank god he has the vacation time to do so. I am a stay at home mom mostly because I wouldn't make enough working to pay for daycare lol.

I'm really hoping they do a show in Cleveland, Columbus, or Pittsburgh next year when they do the outdoor/stadium leg. This traveling to Chicago is kinda hard on the finances...but if it's travel or miss it, I'll travel every time! ;)

That's awesome that you're taking your oldest! My oldest is not quite 4, but he loves U2 even still! My wish is that U2 still tours when he is old enough to take to a concert with me!

My wife is also a stay at home Mom for the same reason you are... Daycare is a bitch! It was pretty much a wash for her to stay at home or to get a job and pay for daycare. At least this way the kids get to be with their Mom all day. I can honestly say my wife works harder than I do by staying at home!

Hopefully we luck out in Ohio next year. Have a great time in Chicago (as if you need me to tell you that!)

That's awesome that you're taking your oldest! My oldest is not quite 4, but he loves U2 even still! My wish is that U2 still tours when he is old enough to take to a concert with me!

My wife is also a stay at home Mom for the same reason you are... Daycare is a bitch! It was pretty much a wash for her to stay at home or to get a job and pay for daycare. At least this way the kids get to be with their Mom all day. I can honestly say my wife works harder than I do by staying at home!

Hopefully we luck out in Ohio next year. Have a great time in Chicago (as if you need me to tell you that!)

Yeah my oldest is 9 and he was with us in E Lansing during 360. Baby sister just turned 3 in Feb so we'll be leaving her here when we go to Chicago. Hoping to be able to take her along next year if they do something closer to our area. Technically she's been to a show -- I was pregnant at 360 Pittsburgh and when I met Bono, he rubbed my newly-forming baby bump when we told him. (I had just found out earlier that month that we were expecting.)

Enjoy your own Chicago show! Maybe we'll catch each other in 2016!! ;)

Haha I love this post. I'm currently a university student who is working an industrial/factory shiftwork type of summer job and I just so happen to have tickets for 3 of 4 Montreal gigs. I would never quit my job to make the gigs but I'm really hoping things work in my favor. Every summer I work this job and I have been pretty lucky in regards to going to gigs or volunteering at them (I frequently volunteer at local concerts doing hospitality etc.) My bosses and managers have always been understanding and my coworkers as well, when I want to switch a shift with them. But this year my shifts are a little strange and there has been a shift in management. Worse comes to worse I will certainly be at Montreal Saturday night but the others I don't know for sure..

Haha I love this post. I'm currently a university student who is working an industrial/factory shiftwork type of summer job and I just so happen to have tickets for 3 of 4 Montreal gigs. I would never quit my job to make the gigs but I'm really hoping things work in my favor. Every summer I work this job and I have been pretty lucky in regards to going to gigs or volunteering at them (I frequently volunteer at local concerts doing hospitality etc.) My bosses and managers have always been understanding and my coworkers as well, when I want to switch a shift with them. But this year my shifts are a little strange and there has been a shift in management. Worse comes to worse I will certainly be at Montreal Saturday night but the others I don't know for sure..

I really hope things work out for you! This adulthood business isn't all it's cracked up to be!! I admit now that quitting my job to attend a concert was a little bit stupid. There were other reasons also. I was the youngest guy in my section by about 10 years. All the middle aged men in the factory kept asking me "did you get your girlfriend pregnant or something? NO!?!? Then why the hell are you working here?? Get the fuck out of here while you still can!! Go to school and do something with your life!!" It really was a soul-sucking hell hole, a paper mill. We worked 10 days on, 4 days off. The pay was great, as were the benefits. They had to be, otherwise nobody would work there. After I quit there I worked for my father and got a summer job as part of a cleaning crew at my old high school to keep money coming until I started college in the fall. It was a terrible year in my life, but it was necessary to get me to "grow up".

6days till I leave for my 20hour 3stop flight to Vancouver. Bring it on!!!

Sent from my SM-N910F using U2 Interference mobile app

Ok I know this is NOT going to happen BUT bear with me and humor me for a moment. Imagine the light bulb was for this reason

Sometimes I fell like I don't know.... Sometimes I feel like checking out..........
Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed..... cue the explosion of light in the arena. Up to that lyric the band was playing a somewhat acoustic version but right as Bono delivers the line "Your love as a light bulb hanging over my bed...... Baby Baby Baby LIGHT MY WAY!!!!" and the arena explodes into light

I know it's not going to happen but it would be absolutely incredible if it did.

Ok I know this is NOT going to happen BUT bear humor me for a moment. Imagine the light bulb was for this reason

Sometimes I fell like I don't know.... Sometimes I feel like checking out..........
Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed..... cue the explosion of light in the arena. Up to that lyric the band was playing a somewhat acoustic version but right as Bono delivers the line "Your love as a light bulb hanging over my bed...... Baby Baby Baby LIGHT MY WAY!!!!" and the arena explodes into light

I know it's not going to happen but it would be absolutely incredible if it did.

That actually would be pretty cool - shame though that, as you say, it isn't going to happen

Ok I know this is NOT going to happen BUT bear humor me for a moment. Imagine the light bulb was for this reason

My wife said the same exact thing to me & it seems perfect. Who knows, maybe they're keeping a few tricks up their sleeve about the tour opening song, cus that would be a hell of a way to kick things off for the tour, or any night.

Ok I know this is NOT going to happen BUT bear with me and humor me for a moment. Imagine the light bulb was for this reason

As awesome as it would be, they're not thinking like that.

They're gonna open with Invisible. Single light bulb, long intro, etc. They do the entire first verse in silhouette and the solo lighting. Then during the chorus, "I am not invisible, I am here!!!" - BAM! Full lights, crowd goes even more insane, and the tone is set.

They're gonna open with Invisible. Single light bulb, long intro, etc. They do the entire first verse in silhouette and the solo lighting. Then during the chorus, "I am not invisible, I am here!!!" - BAM! Full lights, crowd goes even more insane, and the tone is set.

That's really easy to picture!

Yeah my oldest is 9 and he was with us in E Lansing during 360. Baby sister just turned 3 in Feb so we'll be leaving her here when we go to Chicago. Hoping to be able to take her along next year if they do something closer to our area. Technically she's been to a show -- I was pregnant at 360 Pittsburgh and when I met Bono, he rubbed my newly-forming baby bump when we told him. (I had just found out earlier that month that we were expecting.)

Enjoy your own Chicago show! Maybe we'll catch each other in 2016!! ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app[/QUOTE

I'm going to 2 MSG shows in NY. The first show, i am taking my oldest, he'll be 10 and a half.

I am blessed that U2 is still touring and i can actually bring my son to see them live. I am overwhelmed with joy !

I think it's going to be The Miracle (though I would hate that to happen. We already had Breathe opening, which I love, but it's beat its un-jumpable (?) in a 3/4 beat)

Bono enters alone and lights up the bulb... lurks around singing without a microphone, going OOOOOH OOOOOOOOOH (the intro), getting everyone to sing it... eventualy the rest of the band enters and the song begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom