2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to throw in a little something of interest, not really U2 related. THey are doing a concert here in major Florida market. I think a radio station and maybe iheart radio or something is putting it together.

Anyway, the list reads like a freaking who's who of the number 1 hits of 2014.
These are some of them
Demi Lovato
Calvin Harris
Pharrell Williams
Jason Derulo
Meghan Trainor
Charli XCX
Jessie J
Magic!
Nick Jonas
Fall Out Boy

It's in an arena here and tickts were 54 bucks. Been on sale for 2 months. I just saw them on Groupon for 28 dollars. It just shows you the ever, and quickly changing music industry landscape. Practically giving away tickets to a show with 8 argueable headliners.

What are fall out boy doing on their ??thats really bad company?

The Amsterdam map wasn't split, and there's really no way they can have two GA lines there with just one entrance to the building. :hmm: Interesting.

here is what i think....one line, then when you get down, you enter the GA area via the base of the shaft, through the gates to enter the left side of the shaft or the right side of the shaft. the san jose clearly indicates numbers on each side of the shaft, just like in each of the red zone areas near the tip of the shaft...:D

It's like I said earlier, it's only a handful of artists that reach a rarified sort of air that can charge explicitly high prices...the ones that are godly to Boomers and Gen X-ers that have sizable wallets.

None of the artists you mentioned other than Fall Out Boy have landed significant album sales from what I can recall. They sell hundreds of thousands of singles to 14 year old girls on iTunes, but a dollar for a song isn't necessarily going to translate into them wanting to see a live show.

He's great, so is Charli XCX. But to charge uber-high prices, you have to earn decades of appeal to a mainstream audience that has a ton of money to spend...

The only real exception for modern artists are those like Beyonce or Justin Timberlake. They're still as A-list as a person could possibly get, but it's certainly shocking how high their ticket prices are...I personally put them in the same mold of Madonna in that it honestly has a lot to with trophy wives asking their sugar daddies for tickets. I just can't see any relatively normal fan of Timberlake willing to shell out that kind of money.

Mine just have something under "row", nothing under "seat". So I'm pretty sure all GA tickets are the same; they just categorize them to keep track of them.

Got it, thanks! - If they are splitting GA and checking credit cards and ID's for all of the assigned seats - they'd better start letting us all in about noon! :hmm:

It's in the hundreds and about an entire side's worth of that seating...I mean, it's possible they do end up selling all of that at the asking price, but the hardcore fans are the ones that would have most likely bitten at this point. Someone posted on this forum earlier about O'Seary raising and lowering prices for a Madonna stadium gig. There wasn't enough demand, so prices were cut in half for her show a day or two before...then raised back up to the expensive level a few hours before showtime.

Ticketmaster could also just throw these tickets onto a resale site and have them go for less. It will look like they were "sold" but not really until the scalping site gets rid of them. I've already found $300 tickets for less with fees than what TM is offering...only way that could be is if some potential scalper is getting cold feet and would rather take a small loss or if TM is trying to quietly get rid of some of the supply at a discounted rate.

yep Madonna has had her problems selling tickets...

on Sticky & Sweet Millenium Stadium sold about 35,000 tickets, on the second euro leg the following year a number of shows were heavily discounted and in some cases cancelled (the official line was "production issues"- yeah right)

there were a few reasons for this, the show itself was rubbish, ticket prices were very high, Madge started the shows very late at times and the market had been saturated by then

same happened on MDNA tour, the first show was canned- also due to "production issues".. but the second show was hardly sold out either. She had similar problems across some of the European shows on that tour.

Two days later and there's basically the same swath of untouchable $300 lower level seats on Ticketmaster for both nights in SJ. Any fan that bought a $300 seat is eventually going to be royally screwed when those steep price cuts start being chipped in.

This is no different than the 360 tour. Most of the 360 stadium shows failed to initially sell all their $250 dollar priced tickets. Those priced tickets remained available in some capacity every day for months up until show time. But U2 were still able to gradually sell about 10,000 of them per stadium show. You'll see the same situation with the arena shows except that in this case, about 50% of the tickets available are at this price. Plus with the ticketmaster maps of all the seats, this makes it seem like the band are struggling, but its just the nature of selling those tickets at that top level price. You have to wait for the fans and general public with deeper pockets to commit. They will gradually over time though.

Its kind of funny, but this is a tour which will feature half the house each night being filled with U2's richer upper class fans, while the rest of us lower and middle class fans are pushed to the upper levels of the arena or are packed onto the floor.

I just can't see any relatively normal fan of Timberlake willing to shell out that kind of money.

I didnt. My mom, sis, and I all had the idea of having a "girls night out" without kids or husbands until we saw the seat prices. My cds sound just fine, thanks. :yes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

This is no different than the 360 tour. Most of the 360 stadium shows failed to initially sell all their $250 dollar priced tickets. Those priced tickets remained available in some capacity every day for months up until show time. But U2 were still able to gradually sell about 10,000 of them per stadium show. You'll see the same situation with the arena shows except that in this case, about 50% of the tickets available are at this price. Plus with the ticketmaster maps of all the seats, this makes it seem like the band are struggling, but its just the nature of selling those tickets at that top level price. You have to wait for the fans and general public with deeper pockets to commit. They will gradually over time though.

Its kind of funny, but this is a tour which will feature half the house each night being filled with U2's richer upper class fans, while the rest of us lower and middle class fans are pushed to the upper levels of the arena or are packed onto the floor.

This is probably the best that I've seen anybody say it. The object of Vertigo and Elevation to a lesser extent was shock and awe, super fast sellouts, dates being added immediately, demand just simply can't be met. If it took over an hour to sell out, it was a weak market. Especially in the arena shows in the states. Now the model seems to be to milk every penny possible out of the ticket sales. They don't care if the tickets don't sell until the day of the show, as long as they get their money. And mark my words, by the time the show arrives, every seat will have an ass in it.

I'm just wondering how the presale went today? Any luck or lack of luck? Doesn't seem as frenzied as a week ago by far, unless I'm missing something...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm just wondering how the presale went today? Any luck or lack of luck? Doesn't seem as frenzied as a week ago by far, unless I'm missing something...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think most people on this forum dove in during the first batch of pre-sales.

Two separate GA lines!! Oh the horror :ohmy:

I'd been wondering about that, unless one can go under the stage at some point there. Either two GA lines or someone will have to be directing traffic after people are in the door to go one way or another. Also if "the Shaft" is mostly just a catwalk in the middle flanked by a main stage and a b-stage then nobody will be under Bono really since he is usually in the middle, the catwalk would be directly under his nose.

I think anybody up to seeing U2 will at the end of the show agree they are a great live band even if they dont know all the music.

Acrobat, the demand is still there, no doubt about it, and if ticket prices went to $100 or less we'd have a repeat of those tours. The fans are out there waiting, waiting for those prices to come down. Someone needs to get word to LN. O$seary (heck, let's just say LN, he's just a puppet anyway.) U2 have not decreased in popularity, at all.

Maybe someday these dickheads will realize that middle class buyers make up the bulk of the music industry, just as a large and stable middle class provides the tax dollars that makes countries and industries function. The concert industry is like infrastructure, and if you want to shaft the middle class, that's fine, but just don't expect the places you were able to make money from, like the concert industry, to exist for much longer. This isn't like Hollywood, you can't shift your arenas and stadiums over to China or shaft your traditional audience for a "global" market. You'll have to come up with another model, that ensures that a much smaller number of overall consumers can continue to support that upkeep of that massive infrastructure. And I'm not talking about buildings here. It's like the Frequent Flyer Club...I think this yr frequent flyer membership has been changed to not how many miles traveled but how many flights you take. Fewer but more expensive flights in the long run. How will for planes?

Plus hasn't it gotten through their heads that the economy crashed in 2008-9, so many former "upper middle class" in 2007, aren't anymore. the stories I hear now about suburban poverty...

Once the music industry had a "production model", and despite a few glitches, it worked fantastic for yrs. An artist graduated from clubs to small 2000-seat arenas to larger arenas to places like MSG, and from there, a rarified few got to stadiums. The ones who got to stadiums became the artists who sold out those stadiums for decades, b/c the audience gradually increased. The high "childhood mortality" rate of acts, so to speak, ensured that the survivors reached superstardom, so to speak. Because the artists had to play instruments and thus prove themelves to fans, the strong survived. The mediocre thrived in this market too, but b/c we had a strong middle class, people would shell out for them. This slow growth rate also gave acts time to nurture their talent.

Someone earlier posted a list of 2014 hot artists bundled together into a nice little package and trotted out to perform in an arena. Most of those artists belong nowhere near an arena yet---they should only be at the "Palace Theater" stage at this point in their careers. Not all, but most. They don't even know themselves very well yet, so why try to inflict them on a mass audience?

I've become more picky with my concert dollars. if there's a new artist out there that's worth writing a book about, I'll make an effort to see them live. There's a dude named Mackelmore I'm dying to see, and all on an electrifying 30-second clip from a show in Europe. STanding there in blis while the audience roared out the song, fantastic, it looked like a clip from the UF tour. But would I see him at $300? No way.

As far as U2 goes...if LN keep the prices at $300 for months..fine. I'll pay for my ticket via "installment payment", saving up for months at a time. But at the end of 3-4 months, I damnwell want them to allow me to choose my expensive seat, just for having me wait so long. If they judge demand by the kind of frontloaded sales U2 had in the past, they'll be sorely disappointed if they continue this model. But the demand is still there. That's the tragic part. And the shows? Meh. Those rich folks, most of them, aren't fans, but folk who snared those coveted "bragging rights." It'll make for a boring show, esp the acoustic ones. Not much of a sing-along.

The other bad part is, the amount of tickets sold in the initial shows may determine how many shows get added. How tragic for LA fans if they don't get extra shows, b/c whole swathes of lower levels remain empty. Then everyone gets screwed. More overall tickets sold at lower price is still the best.

A couple of single seats have popped back up for the first 3 london shows. The £165 ones.

I don't get it why are tickets for the US shows so much more than the european shows? :crack:

$950 for lower bowl ticket in LA forum? What??

A ticket reseller (scalper basically) in Sweden sells the lower bowl tickets for $225 - $252. GA, the same price, the GA tickets from AXS is e-ticket or hard ticket posted to you. (1700 - 1900 SEK swedish currency)

Tickets were double that when there were only 2 shows, the prices got sliced in half pretty much when the 2 extra shows were added.

The Amsterdam map wasn't split, and there's really no way they can have two GA lines there with just one entrance to the building. :hmm: Interesting.

My GA ticket (booking) for Berlin says 'left entrance'....so there must be two entrances :hmm:

I don't get it why are tickets for the US shows so much more than the european shows? :crack:

$950 for lower bowl ticket in LA forum? What??

A ticket reseller (scalper basically) in Sweden sells the lower bowl tickets for $225 - $252. GA, the same price, the GA tickets from AXS is e-ticket or hard ticket posted to you. (1700 - 1900 SEK swedish currency)

Tickets were double that when there were only 2 shows, the prices got sliced in half pretty much when the 2 extra shows were added.

And service charges in Europe are much lower. At least in Germany they are, not sure about Sweden. I paid €4,00 ... and from what I am reading on this borad some people habe paid $18,00 per ticket just on service charges?! Crazy

And service charges in Europe are much lower. At least in Germany they are, not sure about Sweden. I paid €4,00 ... and from what I am reading on this borad some people habe paid $18,00 per ticket just on service charges?! Crazy

About €6 service charge or 55 SEK in sweden. We dont use the euro. :wink:

My GA ticket (booking) for Berlin says 'left entrance'....so there must be two entrances :hmm:

Could be. My ticket has no north/south/left/right side whatshowever (yes I already received them two days ago by mail). Perhaps it's venue specific. So I think it's going to be one line here, and they'll open the side doors for us to run through rather than the front.

They've always had sections and seat numbers... it's merely a way for ticketmaster to track what's been sold.

I have no section or seat number on my ticket at all. :scratch: Just GA - standing. Strange that there's a difference in different countries then, since our vendor is also Ticketmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom