May 26th, 2015 - Los Angeles, CA, Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the quick hit, having just got home an hour ago and can't quite settle down yet....

For a typical opening night of a big multi-date stand, tonight had a few decent surprises. I was not expecting California at the beginning of the acoustic set but when I saw Edge strap on a Fender Telecaster after Mysterious Ways, I knew it wasn't going to be Desire, AOH or WLCTT. I was also happy to get an excellent version of Electric Co in the rotating 2nd song slot. The first four songs of the show really pack a punch together and was the best part of the night for me. I also MUCH prefer the live arrangements for all the SOI tunes over the album versions. Honestly, one of the highlights was the "Hollywood U2" coverband guy getting pulled onstage for Sweetest Thing and basically first trading verses with Bono and then singing the last 3rd solo with Bono on piano - that was a lot of fun to see. I'm sure their next few months worth of shows will had a big bump in attendance.

Moving around in GA on the floor is a piece of cake, especially since I didn't want to park against the rail in one spot all show. Honestly, the best place to see the show is at half court right behind the Red Zone barrier on either side of the floor. I found Adam's side a bit looser and easier to move from close to the B Stage and back vs the Edge side, mostly due to the fact there is a VIP area on Edge's side at half court that holds maybe 40 people on a riser that takes up a bit of floor space.

As for the sound.... it is fucking LOUD. The quality varies depending on where you stand, the back around the B Stage is a little muddier and a bit boomy but pretty much anywhere on the floor the high end just cuts into your hearing like nobody's business and when you're dead center on the floor, it becomes fatiguing by the last 3rd of the show. I've seen everyone from Van Halen, AC/DC to Motorhead and Ministry going back to the late 70's and I can say this was one of the louder arena shows in recent memory. I will definitely bring earplugs on Night 4 this weekend.

Regarding the pacing of the set, etc... some things work, some major things don't and it's surprising the band hasn't addressed those issues yet. The first four songs work great and really had the audience locked in. The three SOI tunes in a row however seemed to quickly lose the audience and even Bono caught it, mentioning something like "there's two more new ones" after Iris. The current arrangement of SBS sucks, I'm sorry. It appeared that the band kind of made it a bit more "electric" compared to the first few performances but Larry banging on a single drum while the rest of the band play it fairly straightforward (if at a slower pace) just doesn't cut it compared to ANY version on past tours (even Edge's solo take on the few Popmart shows in '97). The 5 minute break with the Wanderer clip is actually a bit welcome in the middle of the show although I could tell a fair number of people were a bit baffled if it was a real bathroom/beer break or merely another extended intro to another song.

Invisible, a song I originally loathed comes off a lot better live and overall despite some strange and clunky transitions between some songs, the second half of the show is much more entertaining and cohesive.

Although there is virtually no long, epic buildup to Streets this tour, that song is still magnificent live. It just needs to be sandwiched between something better than City Of Blinding Lights and One and a whole lotta speechin n' Paul Simon dribble.

Lastly, the Forum audience... this was really an obvious example of how a band and it's audience can either push each other to epicness or merely ebb and flow to an uninspired conclusion. Honestly, I put most of the blame on the lackluster crowd. I've seen some truly amazing, loud U2 crowds in LA, Joshua Tree shows and post 9/11 Elevation shows were incredible audiences. Not so, tonight. Maybe everyone's preoccupation with their cell phones is the culprit.

BTW, I was able to use my long-canceled Credit Card to get in. Didn't have to go to the box office, it swiped and put popped my little paper ticket.

Man, you have hit on SO many of the same feelings I had while I was there.

First, let me second that, yes, Adam side, right next to the Red Zone, a few people back is PERFECT if you want a good view of the video board. I really enjoyed being able to see that, since I really couldn't see much of the band.

The sound was also VERY loud, shockingly so.

I don't know if I agree with the second half being the best part of the show, I definitely enjoyed the beginning a ton.

And finally: YES, the crowd was one of the most lackluster I've ever seen. And the cell phone usage was killing me. Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, but I couldn't STAND seeing one more person raising their fucking phones to record Beautiful Day of all things. I mean...come on, really?

Man, you have hit on SO many of the same feelings I had while I was there.

First, let me second that, yes, Adam side, right next to the Red Zone, a few people back is PERFECT if you want a good view of the video board. I really enjoyed being able to see that, since I really couldn't see much of the band.

The sound was also VERY loud, shockingly so.

I don't know if I agree with the second half being the best part of the show, I definitely enjoyed the beginning a ton.

And finally: YES, the crowd was one of the most lackluster I've ever seen. And the cell phone usage was killing me. Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, but I couldn't STAND seeing one more person raising their fucking phones to record Beautiful Day of all things. I mean...come on, really?

I was lurking earlier and saw you were tossing up whether you would go or not. Glad you went? Had you much of an idea what the setlist/staging would be like?

My husband was sick, and didn't think he'd make it, and I didn't want to go without him. He decided to go at literally the last minute.

I didn't know anything about the tour except for the stages and I had heard their was a video board. It was the most surprised I've ever been at a U2 gig. I usually always dive full into all of the spoilers.

My husband was sick, and didn't think he'd make it, and I didn't want to go without him. He decided to go at literally the last minute.

This makes it sound like I was on my deathbed but said "fuck that, it's U2 Time!"

Last edited:
So glad you guys ended up going. No sicky would keep me away from U2!

I can relate; sometimes I call my knife "Pierce Stabbingsworth III" and sometimes I just refer to it as my knife. lool, girl, it gets so confusing.

Some LA Night 1 pre show pics...

Here are a few pics from LA when the band arrived pre-show #1...Bono and Larry came out to greet the crowd....

DSC01363_zpsjtfdmd5x.jpg
there was no line on this horizon flying to LAX...

DSC01369_zpsekd3zq8a.jpg

DSC01372_zpsfxya4o3a.jpg

DSC01373_zpsxif0mdxq.jpg

DSC01375_zpslzztabvf.jpg

DSC01378_zpsezac0mqw.jpg

DSC01386_zpseynb4tvh.jpg

DSC01387_zps7tdw5fxo.jpg

DSC01389_zpsgljarzlv.jpg

DSC01391_zpsz4wwjhbh.jpg

One question for anyone who can help. Where are the Red Zone areas located in the Forum? Near sections 112 and 125 or near sections 107 and 130 as suggested on the TicketMaster site? I've looked around for the answer but have received conflicting information and detail. Some suggest the TicketMaster seating chart has things backwards. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom