Which 'Warhorse' needs a timeout from I&E

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which 'Warhorses' need a timeout from I&E tour (pick 3)

• Total voters
Pride - It actually sounds pretty rejuvenated, gets a great reaction and sounds better than the last two tours (hell, three since it sucked on Elevation as well, but I didn't see that tour in person). My problem is that it's there to begin with when it should have been given a rest years ago.

One - Now, the mood for this is better than it was on the last two tours (again, really three, since it completely sucked on Elevation), but it's actually played with even less passion than ever before. Having it close the night, knowing it might be the last U2 you see live for years, and not beginning with some tired plea to "get out of your cellphones" gives it a lot more emotional heft. Even if it sounds terrible.

Even Better Than The Real Thing - I'm sorry, if you actually like the version played on this tour, you're just excited that it's in the set to begin with. It sounds horrible clanking around the arena as the band sits inside the box with no movement whatsoever. It was easily the worst older tune of the evening on both nights I attended.

I can't see why anybody would vote for "City of Blinding Lights" unless they just don't really care for the tune. It still sounds fantastic and the audience goes nuts for it as it progresses. It's one of the best played older tunes night-in-and-out.

It's a credit to this tour's setlists and general theme that a few of the songs I would've unhesitatingly picked a year ago now seem essentially. I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday and UTEOTW all seemed rather overplayed and a little tired on recent tours.....yet they've all been given a shot in the arm here. IWF is the key bridge between the 'punk' set into Iris, Sunday's new arrangement is lovely and UTEOTW is the perfect end to the Innocence section.

Likewise, the new version of BTBS is red-hot. It was a good move to shelve this song for 360, it's come back with some freshness.

My full-on picks were COBL, Desire and Elevation. COBL because I'm kinda tired of it and feel it's overrated as a live song....Desire/Elevation because, even though they're not played regularly, they're still too *normal* songs to get regular play in the E-stage. I want the E-stage to be the venue for true rarities!

COBL was phenomenal as the opener on Vertigo. But it's been pretty meh since and isn't a vital part of the show on this tour. It can easily be replaced by something else. If anything has been proved by the show today, COBL is no Streets.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Did Mr. Happy get banned for voting UTEOTW? I never saw him justify his choice.

I do like UTEOTW, but I think it's super overplayed and doesn't needs to be an every nighter. Sorry :D

I'd be getting rid of SBS before UTEOTW though. The version they're playing right now is terrible. It's like they wanted to do an acoustic version but couldn't be bothered to actually put one together so they just played the electric version without proper drums. It's shocking. Lazy, even.

Last edited:
I didn't read the instructions and only voted once for MW and then entered my choice:reject: I didn't get to vote on 2 more *loser

Sadly, only 4 songs from the list could get me excited when hearing them live: Where the Streets Have No Name, Bullet the Blue Sky, Even Better than the Real Thing and Until the End of the World.

Weirdest thing about One being a sing along is that it's One: a downer ballad with emotionally and intellectually complex lyrics. It's not a cathartic, explosive feel good anthem like Don't Look Back In Anger. It's a depressing song. One if the best ever written, but like Depeche's Judas, it should be played very rarely. And not be a sing along.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

New SBS is anything but lazy, and to say its just the electric version is to ignore vtgatcthe rhythm is completely different, as us the tone of the song. Up there with 83 and 87 versions.

New Zooropa is the king though. Wish they did the whole song in that style. It's incredible.

now that we have the new version of Magnificent, I think we finally have a decent replacement for COBL. there's no need for both COBL and Beautiful Day, they both serve the exact same purpose (much like Elevation/Boots/Vertigo) and the band is playing them consecutively in the encore, which is kinda lame. and the crowd of course goes nuts, because how would they know better?

now that we have the new version of Magnificent, I think we finally have a decent replacement for COBL. there's no need for both COBL and Beautiful Day, they both serve the exact same purpose (much like Elevation/Boots/Vertigo) and the band is playing them consecutively in the encore, which is kinda lame. and the crowd of course goes nuts, because how would they know better?

You need to get on the phone and contact Bono with your ideas. We wouldn't want the crowd to go nuts. Fuck them. :lol:

I really don't get the calling of the sing along versions of One and Still Haven't Found as being "lazy"

Springsteen does it for Hungry Heart. Pearl Jam does it for Better Man. I don't really think you'd call those acts lazy in anyway. It's just a bit if theatrics. If you don't like it, fine... but I don't see in anyway how it's "lazy"

Lazy would be to just not play a song at all

PJ/Bruce have longer shows, vary sets and tracks from throughout the back catalogue. U2 can be inconsistent on those 3 points.

Troubles is the closer. Why is that they cannot see it?

Final chance in Sweden in a couple hours. Bono's voice running out of steam by the encore at some shows kept it from ending shows.

BD and COBL need to go!! :angry:

Elevation can replace Vertigo some nights
The same with Out Of Control replacing I Will Follow (and Electric Co and Gloria, all 4 can do that job)

1) The Miracle
2) I will follow / Out of control
3) Vertigo / Elevation
4) California / Volcano (Needs to happen, SOI needs just a little more representation)
5) Gloria / Electric Co./ 11:00 Tick Tock- The ocean / Twilight
6) Iris
7) Cedarwood Road
8) Song for Someone
9) Sunday bloody Sunday
10) Raised by Wolves
11) Until the end of the world
-- The Wanderer / The Fly (intermission) –
12) Invisible (Something else could be rotated here. Maybe Zoo Station, The Fly?)
13) Even better than the real thing / Zoo Station / The Fly
14) Mysterious Ways / Discotheque / Crazy Tonight (remix) / Magnificent (remix) (Dancy song here for female onstage)
15) Random e-stage slot- Think like they do now, only with more variation and less Elevation and Desire
16) Random e-stage slot. Anything goes, from old material, to Zooropa/Pop stuff, to new album stuff. "Reach me now" especially.
17) October
18) Bullet the blue sky
19) Zooropa --> Where the streets have no name
20) Pride / New Years Day
21) With or Without You (Maybe rotate with AIWIY?)
-- Stephen Hawking--
22) City of Blinding Lights / Beautiful Day (have we reached a point yet where BD does not NEED to be played at every gig?)
23) Every breaking wave (FUCKING FULL BAND)
-- Mother and Child Reunion--
24) One / I Still haven't found ...
25) Bad / 40

I feel that with this basic outline, they could please hardcore and casual fans alike, while still keeping with their general outline for the show. Rotate the warhorses, mix up the wild card slots a little more, and I think they'd really have something. The Iris-UTEOTW run is pretty solid, I can't imagine changing anything there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom