Thoughts on the classics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
Alright, so how do we think the warhorses are sounding this tour?

That's always a topic for much debate that, beyond MW, hasn't really come up yet.....

My thoughts:

I Will Follow: Excellent- though it always is, isn't it? Elevation is a bit slower than the others, but that's the only tour that stands out as not up to par.

Sunday Bloody Sunday: I am in the minority here who think it was the best since JT on 360. I thought it was awesome 2009-2011. Especially the Brandenburg gate version. However, I do like the new arrangement a lot and it's a good 1-2 punch with Wolves. I'd like to see it back to traditional form at some point, but I'm enjoying this version and the band seems to like it! Has a new energy to it. I like how it fits into the innocence theme by going back to the time and place for which it was written. Kind of a nice change after it's been fit into every other world event for many tours now.

40: SPECTACULAR. Much, much better than Vertigo! Close your eyes and it's 1983! Just listen to Larry pound out the ending in LA after Sheehan's death!

Bad: A notch below 360 due to the short length and Bono's voice not being quite as good. However, the MOS/Into The Mystic snippets are awesome and you can turn in your U2 fan card if you're going to complain about this in the set list! A notch below 360 is still very good, as those versions were the best since the mid 1980s. Easily. (Rome and Sydney 2010).

Pride: Popmart and Elevation were flat. Vertigo a bit better (more so toward the end) and 360 much better. It has continued the improvement it began 10 years ago- and right now is, I think, the best it's been outside of TUF-COH tours. JT and Zoo TV, Edge just didn't have the guitar tone he had 1984-1986 and has 2005-present. Pride sounds awesome this tour!

Bullet The Blue Sky
: Nothing to add to what has been discussed. 1987-2001 performances all kicked ass (in different ways), 2005-2006 was the Vertigo Tour neutering and now it's back. Up there with Zoo TV!

Where The Streets Have No Name
: Never a bad version of this song. Vertigo is the weakest. This tour's Streets, though far better than Vertigo, doesn't live up to its potential the way it did on every other tour. "Weak" Streets is better than strong almost anything else, but coming off the 2011 versions, which rivaled JT performances, it's a bit of a letdown.

With Or Without You: Inconsistent. Just like 360. 2009 flat. 2010 incredible. 2011 somewhere in between. This tour seems show to show. When Bono has tried (LA 2, Chi 5), it has sounded great. Otherwise, just mediocre.

Still Haven't Found
: Sounds the best to me since Zoo TV. Excellent! 360 was an improvement over Elevation and Vertigo and this is another improvement.

All I Want Is You
: It's 2 for 2 so far. Both times it's been played this tour, it's been phenomenal. For post Lovetown shows, only the Australian performances from 2010 are better.

One: Inconsistent. Vancouver 2, it was excellent, I thought. Most others, not so great. I like the Invisible snippet.

Mysterious Ways: No slide solo, which we all want. However, I do like it on the E stage and the band is having fun with it. No problems with MW. It could be better, but doesn't stand out as anything near weak like WOWY and One can some nights.

Until The End of The World
: Best outside of Zoo TV. Unreal. Some versions on I&E could easily top some Zoo TV versions. It's never been weak, but this time, it's a show stopper.

Beautiful Day
: Very good. Coming in just a bit below Elevation Tour for me. Vertigo, it flattened out a bit and then, for the most part, improved on 360. I think this one is an ever-so-slight improvement on 360. It seems like the band changed their perception of this song somewhere between Vertigo and 360. Vertigo, it felt like they were saying "here's the smash hit from our last album that we have to play, so here goes," whereas on 360, they seemed to recognize it not only as a big, relevant hit but as one of their best songs.

Bono's voice was a bit rough at the start of the leg. However that's completely understandable. He hasn't performed at this level in years, nearly died at the end of last year and has also been a notorious slow starter at most tours.

Chicago has been the turning point in my opinion. Bad wasn't too good back in May but now sounds fantastic and his voice is superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThzweKl0HDU

Totally agree with All I Want is You. This performance is probably the best version I've ever heard. It trumps any performance from Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo and 360. His control of his voice is better than it has been in recent memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9L8Shphu94

Last edited:
Pride was the song that sealed the deal of my U2 fandom. The guitar riff is pure magic. I always look forward to it at a U2 show.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You left out Until the End of the World, Streets, Still haven't found, Beautiful Day and probably some more.

Vertigo - average. Weaker than last 2 tours.
IWF - good. Pretty consistent.
SBS - average. Kinda boring.
End Of The World - great as always.
Real Thing - decent. 360 was better.
MW - sub par. Better than 360.
Bullet - great. Best since ZooTV
Pride - average. Better than last few tours.
Beautiful Day - average. Same as last few tours.
Bad - good. Weakest of any tour so far, though.
All I Want Is You - great. Both performances sounded phenomenal.
WOWY - sub par. Same as 360/Vertigo.
COBL - average. Poorly placed in setlist.
Streets - average. Needs a segue and no lyric changes.
One - terrible. I already hate this song, so terrible performances don't help.
I Still Haven't Found - decent. Better than One.
40 - great. Always great.

Pretty detailed review. This should get published.

Bad: I'm always excited when Bad is played, but these are some of the weakest performances - and surprisingly short.

Beautiful Day: it's fine. I can't say I have particularly strong opinions on this song.

Bullet the Blue Sky: it has a new fire. I was very pleased to see it dropped for 360, and the rest has done it the world of good.

COBL: also fine. No strong opinion.

ISHFWILF: it's been a decent main set closer in the past but it's a dud this tour.

I Will Follow: always great, though the mid-song speechifying is a bit much.

Mysterious Ways: garbage, like on 360. Drop it if you're not going to play it properly.

One: wow this is just laughably bad.

Pride: the song itself sounds fairly OK, but it's always been one of the few U2 songs that sounds worse live (if you count the amount of performances that sound better than the studio version you won't use up a whole hand). The Hands intro is clunky and the lengthy mid-song speechifying does not do the song any favours.

Sunday Bloody Sunday: I almost thought the new acoustic version was OK - and I'll give the band credit for rethinking the song - but then I listened to the studio version and a few eighties performances and remembered how great this song could be.

UTEOTW: fucking amazing. I do wish it segued into something though. It feels a bit weird just ending. It's normally been a great song for segues.

Vertigo: yeah it's fine, no strong opinion; I wouldn't miss it if the band stopped playing it but it's enjoyable enough.

Streets: OH MY GOD STOP FUCKING RUINING YOUR DEFINING LIVE SONG. If there must be Paul Simon's Dead Dog at the start, at least go into it seamlessly from the previous song rather than breaking the momentum with a dull speech that could be given afterwards, and STOP RUINING THE MAGIC OF THE INTRO BY SHOUTING RANDOM SHIT OVER IT. I've ranted about this so many times already in setlist parties, but jesus christ U2 seem determined to turn one of their most magical live moments into one of their most infuriating. I've gone from anticipating Streets to dreading it.

WOWY: sing Shine Like Stars or get the fuck out.

I find myself dreading Beatiful Day I'm the setlist, probably more than any other song. And then they play it, and the whole crowd goes crazy, and then I'm reminded of what a strong song it really is.

I was at Chicago 5, and seeing the crowd go nuts for the "greatest hits" is pretty cool. WOWY was a pretty good version that night. Although WTF is up with Streets? I never thought I'd say it, but it could probably stand to miss a few shows. COBL seemed to go down MUCH better with the crowd.

Last edited:
Judging only the ones I saw:

Vertigo - fun but it didn't stand out in the show
IWF - song still has energy even after over 35 years
SBS - while the new arrangement works in its context in Act 1, it definitely lacks the punch of the full version
UTEOTW - Amazing
MW - even without the slide solo, it's still fun and gets everyone moving
Elevation - good energy, but it sounds exactly like it did on its debut tour
Stuck - Know this one gets a lot of hate here, but the new arrangement is great. Miles better than acoustic 360
Bullet - FIRE!!!!!
Pride - surprised how great it sounds this tour. thought it was fading on 360 but it has tons of life now
BD - classic
AIWIY - Bono introduces song apologizing that they'll mess it up. Proceeds to blow it out of the park.
WOWY - Big improvement on 360
COBL - like Elevation, sounds the same as it did when it debuted. Not a criticism, just an observation. Like the light show they brought this time.
Streets - Great as usual, but the Paul Simon intro is a few notches below past intros like RTST on Zoo TV and Bad/40 on Elevation. The right intro can take this song from a 9 to a 12, but now it's at a 9
ISHFWILF - Great. I actually dig it as a closer
40 - :drool:

Streets: OH MY GOD STOP FUCKING RUINING YOUR DEFINING LIVE SONG. If there must be Paul Simon's Dead Dog at the start, at least go into it seamlessly from the previous song rather than breaking the momentum with a dull speech that could be given afterwards, and STOP RUINING THE MAGIC OF THE INTRO BY SHOUTING RANDOM SHIT OVER IT. I've ranted about this so many times already in setlist parties, but jesus christ U2 seem determined to turn one of their most magical live moments into one of their most infuriating. I've gone from anticipating Streets to dreading it.

I dreamt about hearing Streets live for two decades. I thought both my brain and heart would fucking explode from surges of adrenaline and ecstasy when it finally happened. The reality, when I saw them in LA, was underwhelming. The Paul Simon snippet is the worst possible intro to Streets ever. Okay, the African chanting on the Vertigo tour was worse. But this isn't far behind. Someone needs to hand Bono a copy of the Point Depot Lovetown gigs to remind him how the intro to Streets needs and deserves to be done (with him reciting those passages from either Resolution and Independence or On The Road...fuck, those were sooo good :drool:!).

And I'm not saying Bono has to sing every single lyric the way he wrote it, but he's practically changed half the fucking song on this tour. And it's not even like the new lyrics are any good.

The performances of Streets I saw honestly didn't have that punch I expected. It really is a shame, because this is one of the greatest live songs, ever.

Last edited:
I'm glad Streets still had it's punch on the last tour. I do agree that Bono needs to stop talking over the intro, and before Mother & Child Reunion. On the other hand, Mother & Child Reunion is fine. Vertigo still has the worst Streets intro.

Gloria-absolutely amazing!

I'm not a big fan of this song but it is one of the best clips I have watched online. In fact, it might be the best.

Streets-Perhaps I'm in the minority but I don't mind the segue at all and actually like it. I do however take issue with the amount of changed lyrics, which lessen the song IMO. Can you imagine people updating the Mona Lisa by adding new things to it????

And no, I'm not comparing Streets to the Mona Lisa...Streets is clearly a far superior work of art when played properly ;)

Classics are in very bad shape, that's the most surprising thing for me.
I Will Follow, Until the End of the World and Bullet are the only ones really getting my attention. UTEOTW is probably in its best shape ever.

On the other hand... it's embarassing the way they are playing MWays, Streets, With or Without You and One.

Thumbs up for 40 and Gloria. Gloria was played in its greatest glory.

I dreamt about hearing Streets live for two decades. I thought both my brain and heart would fucking explode from surges of adrenaline and ecstasy when it finally happened. The reality, when I saw them in LA, was underwhelming. The Paul Simon snippet is the worst possible intro to Streets ever. Okay, the African chanting on the Vertigo tour was worse. But this isn't far behind. Someone needs to hand Bono a copy of the Point Depot Lovetown gigs to remind him how the intro to Streets needs and deserves to be done (with him reciting those passages from either Resolution and Independence or On The Road...fuck, those were sooo good :drool:!).

And I'm not saying Bono has to sing every single lyric the way he wrote it, but he's practically changed half the fucking song on this tour. And it's not even like the new lyrics are any good.

The performances of Streets I saw honestly didn't have that punch I expected. It really is a shame, because this is one of the greatest live songs, ever.
When I heard Streets on Vertigo and 360 I was underwhelmed. I always thought Streets was their pinnacle, THE best live song in the world, but it disappointed me. Bad and Until The End Of The World were much better.

The 1989 versions are still out of this world.

I've seen U2 live every tour beginning with PopMart, so my Streets rankings (based on the in person experience):

1-Elevation Tour! The lighting and segue into the song were perfect. The arena atmosphere was incredible, something about hearing such a massive song in a small venue that is special. A+ for the performance and an A+ for the version of Streets.

2-U2 360. Crisp guitar and overall sound and the lighting, for a stadium, was solid. The Amazing Grace segue left something to be desired. A+ for the performance and an A for the version of Streets.

3-PopMart. Great segue from Please and the lighting was really good but the "sound" wasn't quite as good as it could be. By sound I mean the guitar sound that Edge used for this tour was not as sharp as others (sorry for my lack of musical prowess in describing this). I also found the end of the song to be a just "ok" with the Playboy Mansion snippet. A for the performance and a B for the version of Streets.

4- Vertigo. The lighting (lack thereof) was terrible. The segue into the song with the "Africa" theme and talking over the entire guitar intro was awful. The sound was good though. B+ for the performance(yep, first time Streets want the highlight of the show) and C for the version of Streets.

From the clips I have seen on YouTube:

Joshua Tree: A for the performance and A for the version.

Zoo TV: A- for the performance and B for the version of Streets

ie Tour: A for the performance and A- for the version (only for all the damn lyric changes!!!!)

The Paul Simon snippet is the worst possible intro to Streets ever. Someone needs to hand Bono a copy of the Point Depot Lovetown gigs to remind him how the intro to Streets needs and deserves to be done (with him reciting those passages from either Resolution and Independence or On The Road...fuck, those were sooo good :drool:!).

This

Classics are in very bad shape, that's the most surprising thing for me.
I Will Follow, Until the End of the World and Bullet are the only ones really getting my attention. UTEOTW is probably in its best shape ever.

I almost fully agree, except End of the world. Bono keeps ruining it since Popmart by his adlibed phrasing, that goes against the flow of the lyrics and music. Dunno why he is doing that.

I think seeing SBS in person really helped me like it more. It's hard to hear the bass line over Periscope/mixlr, and it REALLY carries the song in this stripped down version. Adam sounds amazing!

Uh, but ditto what Axver said about Streets. Honestly I could go without hearing Streets OR Pride; I think the energy is just not there (in terms of Bono's performance, imo) and they're just in there because people would gripe if they weren't. :reject:

Another vote for UTEOTW, it just sounded overwhelming! :up:

I'm so glad that Adam is currently playing his bass solo on "Gloria" the proper way, not that neutered version he did on the Vertigo tour. I'm so glad I finally got to see Gloria live.

COBL is not one of my favorite songs. I was OBSESSED with it when it first came out, and now I can't remember the last time I voluntarily listened to it. However, it went over in a BIG WAY the other night in Chicago. I was surprised by the way it seemed to overpower and overshadow "Streets", in terms of crowd reaction, band performance, and in my personal enjoyment.

COBL: Always thought this one was a bit overrated as a live "classic," and I dunno, it doesn't quite have the same spark this time around either.

Streets: It's amazing how easily the encore's flow problems could be fixed simply by having the (red) speech/Mother & Child reunion snippet flow into either ISHWILF/One, and then segue from one of those directly into Streets as the show closer.

Beautiful Day, SBS, WOWY, UTEOTW, Real Thing and BTBS have all been standouts on this tour. Mysterious Ways/I Will Follow/Vertigo/Electric Co/Out Of Control have all sounded as solid as ever. The lovely version of Stuck In A Moment they played in Toronto last night sounded beautiful, so while that song is probably overplayed at concerts, I can't argue the quality.

You guys. Fucking Bullet. The highlight of this tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds good, but for me, they set the bar too high with the 360 version.

Yep. Every time I think of that song I am reminded of my utter bewilderment and excitement seeing that open the North American leg in Denver in 2011. Could not believe how insane it sounded, and it was such an awesome, high energy opener. Won't ever top that for me.

Back
Top Bottom