Snippets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acrobat14

Babyface
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not really a fan of snippets and I think they are adding way too many of them on this tour so far.

Their best ones are amazing - Dirty Old Town in Running to Stand Still, Shine Like Stars, Do You Hear Me Coming Lord (although neither of them are actually songs), Ruby Tuesday/Sympathy for the Devil in Bad, Suspicious Minds in Angel of Harlem, but yeah when Bono gets carried away just singing random lines that don't really fit it can be a bit annoying.

I'm a big fan of them because they give me something to do on U2gigs even when the setlist is otherwise static. :wink:

But no, I agree with Cobbler. The best snippets can really complete a great performance. The Resolution and Independence intro to Streets on 26 December 1989 is sublime. Other snippets like So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star in Desire, Love Will Tear Us Apart in WOWY, Movin' On Up in ISHFWILF, Dirty Old Town in RTSS, Life During Wartime in Discotheque, and so so many things in Bad (Norwegian Wood a personal favourite) are great. Even songs I'm not so keen about can really be helped by a good snippet - like Stories For Boys in Vertigo. There's a good example of how a snippet also helps give a bit more representation to the band's back catalogue. I'd love a full performance of Mofo, but getting a few lines from it at the start of Iris is better than nothing.

I also love it when he snippets something really random and silly, like that time he did Come On Eileen in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

But when it's just random shit that doesn't fit, or when he starts to do something and then stops, it's not so great. It's especially annoying when it's being used in lieu of a proper segue - you all know what I mean, Mother And Child Reunion leading into Streets. It's been over a decade now since we've had a decent segue into Streets.

I'm a big fan of them because they give me something to do on U2gigs even when the setlist is otherwise static. :wink:

But no, I agree with Cobbler. The best snippets can really complete a great performance. The Resolution and Independence intro to Streets on 26 December 1989 is sublime. Other snippets like So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star in Desire, Love Will Tear Us Apart in WOWY, Movin' On Up in ISHFWILF, Dirty Old Town in RTSS, Life During Wartime in Discotheque, and so so many things in Bad (Norwegian Wood a personal favourite) are great. Even songs I'm not so keen about can really be helped by a good snippet - like Stories For Boys in Vertigo. There's a good example of how a snippet also helps give a bit more representation to the band's back catalogue. I'd love a full performance of Mofo, but getting a few lines from it at the start of Iris is better than nothing.

I also love it when he snippets something really random and silly, like that time he did Come On Eileen in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

But when it's just random shit that doesn't fit, or when he starts to do something and then stops, it's not so great. It's especially annoying when it's being used in lieu of a proper segue - you all know what I mean, Mother And Child Reunion leading into Streets. It's been over a decade now since we've had a decent segue into Streets.

Again Ax the whole "it's been over s decade since decent segue into streets" is all opinion.

People have said how they enjoy the mother and child reunion in streets and I was quite partial to will you still love me going into streets.

But there we go

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

2005-06: The Pride segue into Streets has been condemned widely by fans.

2009-11: One into Streets was barely a segue, and certainly not notable. The snippet over the intro is not a segue. Earlier 360 shows didn't even have a segue into Streets, just the Desmond Tutu video.

2015: There is no segue on the current tour, just a cold start into a snippet.

So no, it really has been over a decade since we've had one of the great segues into Streets, the Bad/AIWIY segues of 2001.

Listen I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are, so if your able to express yours why can't I express mine?

I just want to hear you say one thing you don't like about the band so that I know you're not a bot programmed to come on here and contradict every vaguely negative post.

2005-06: The Pride segue into Streets has been condemned widely by fans.

2009-11: One into Streets was barely a segue, and certainly not notable. The snippet over the intro is not a segue. Earlier 360 shows didn't even have a segue into Streets, just the Desmond Tutu video.

2015: There is no segue on the current tour, just a cold start into a snippet.

So no, it really has been over a decade since we've had one of the great segues into Streets, the Bad/AIWIY segues of 2001.

But since when have U2 done a snippet with its own screen animation? So surely them playing this song the length it is is pretty much the equivalent (length of song not quality" of say October into streets if they where to do that?

But since when have U2 done a snippet with its own screen animation? So surely them playing this song the length it is is pretty much the equivalent (length of song not quality" of say October into streets if they where to do that?

I think that's a false comparison - October's a short song, but it's a full song, versus less than a minute of a much longer song.

I also think it misses the point. What's so sublime about the Streets segues is the way another very powerful song transitions seamlessly into Streets. It's typically been another long but darker song, so you have this amazing 10+ minute experience of unbroken music that takes you from dark to light, where the Streets intro is this sort of redemptive, joyful moment. In a way the Streets segue is an entire U2 concert in miniature. It also gives you a new perspective on the songs involved, and shows how the band can be creative and thoughtful in pairing together songs from their back catalogue.

There is none of that when you have the band stop cold, Bono ramble for a couple of minutes, and then a brief snippet. I think the only reason for Streets to not have a segue from another centrepiece song is if it's opening a set/encore, and I'd still prefer Bad/WOWY/Troubles/MOS/Please/ASOH/whatever --> Streets than having it as set/encore opener.

Listen I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are, so if your able to express yours why can't I express mine?

Nearly every slightly negative comment in the past week or two weeks or whatever you have answered with "THAT'S YOUR OPINION NOT EVERYONE SHARES IT TWO PEOPLE THINK IT'S THE BEST THING EVER DON'T SAY NEGATIVE THINGS" and it's getting really fucking tiresome.

You enjoy it? Great, say so. But people are allowed to have negative opinions. There's a great mix of positive and negative. If you don't like that then make your own thread/forum :shrug:

KUEFC09U2 was a hall monitor at Candyland High School and wants a promotion to interference mod.

I quite enjoy the Mother & Son Reunion snippet into Streets, much like I enjoyed Amazing Grace into Streets last tour.

But nothing comes close to Please->Streets :drool:

I laugh to see "19" called out as a snippet. It's a one-second reference to the song "N-n-n-n-n-n-n nineteen!"

Can we just call it a reference? :lol:

<---Thinks the Mother and Child Reunion / Streets segue is great. Love the graphics that go along and gives a better perspective on Streets itself.

I still rank:
JT Streets
Popmart Streets
I&E Streets

I like it as well. And the organ does come in towards the end of Mother and Child Reunion; it meshes well with the chords into the transition.

Back
Top Bottom