Is it just me or has the NLOTH album been pretty much entirely left out of this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Obviously with so many albums, they're never going to get around to covering every album every night - far from it, indeed. But having glanced at a few setlists (trying to keep spoilers to a minimum, but can't help myself) the absence of any material from NLOTH is incredibly noticeable.

While I'm sure there are many fans who are delighted by this having been too keen on the album or the number of songs from it featured on the last tour, personally I liked it and would love to hear "Breathe" live again, or Unknown Caller, or Moment of Surrender (which seems to be snippeted sometimes on this tour but not played in its entirety).

Now obviously going to a U2 concert I know I'm going to be blown away anyway so I don't particularly mind, I'm just surprised. Seeing as it's their second most recent album, I would have expected them to continue their usual trend of emphasising the current and the second most recent album - the 360 tour contained a huge amount of NLOTH and HTDAAB, the Vertigo tour featured a ton of stuff both from HTDAAB and ATYCLB, etc.

Anyone else surprised by this? Or am I entirely wrong about it and have just happened to pick out (at random) the setlists which haven't had anything from the album?

It's so funny that this thread was made today of all days. In general, your observation is correct, but they just premiered Magnificent two days ago.

Yes, No Line material has been 99 percent omitted from the tour. No, I'm not surprised because the last two tours (360/2009 and 360/2011) featured a number of No Line songs and was arguably a No Line themed tour.

Note- Just saw LM's post about Magnificent.

NLOTH will go down as one of those confused eras that gave us some good to great material, but I doubt we'll see much of it live.

NLOTH one of the best tracks off the album never got a proper live arrangement.

MOS the best track is too long and is hard to fit into a tour that isn't about that album, other than just a snippet.

Fez and Cedars will never have a live version, they weren't made to.

The others, besides Magnificent, we won't see this tour.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Being the newbie that I am, I just kind of chalked it up them playing other songs since they just had an entire tour devoted to that album. But if they're actually deviating from the trend this time, then who knows? I actually really liked NLOTH, and I think it'd be great to hear those songs live more often, but maybe they're just making room for songs like Gloria and October that are being played for the first time in years.

There's always the next tour, right? :)

The others, besides Magnificent, we won't see this tour.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I wouldn't be surprised if Boots were played.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I'm not upset at all. I'd like to see Moment of Surrender get a run, would be cool to thrown into that Bad/AIWIY/Troubles rotation, and that version of Magnificent was pretty great actually (and I don't like the song), but if they're going to bring back old material I want to be from an album not released in the past 15 years.

Unless it's Cedars of Lebanon or Fez-Being Born, I'd happily have those in the set.

I'm surprised Magnificent even showed up, though I guess the band was excited by the new arrangement (and it is pretty cool). Given how NLOTH was generally dismissed by hardcore fans, totally dismissed by casual fans and more or less written off by the band itself, it will be a very rare day when we see more songs from this album brought back in live shows. Hell, the band had pretty much written NLOTH off by the last leg of 360, let alone this tour.

I think because the band decided to take somewhat of a risk by playing a lot of the new material they didn't want to alienate non die hard concert goers by playing fans from a relatively non-popular recent album as well.
Now that the tour seems to be well in its stride and the new songs are going well I'm sure NLOTH will pop up, as indeed Magnificent just has, I doubt they'd play Boots again for a while but you never know..

If I could add one song from NLOTH to the set it would be Breathe. Absolute cracker of an anthem, particularly live. Granted, it may not work in the indoor, smaller setting they're using for this tour - it was a real stadium rouser when they opened with it in '09.

Judging from it not being mentioned by anyone else really, I suspect that I might be alone in regarding this as the best song from the album?

NLOTH one of the best tracks off the album never got a proper live arrangement.

If anything, it was one of the few tracks from that album that actually worked live.

Last edited:
Thanks to the performance of Magnificent the other day, Zooropa remains the only album to go unrepresented on the next tour after its debut. Nothing from Zooropa was played on Popmart. All other albums have been well represented on the second tour for which they were available.

That said, Get On Your Boots remains in the company of The Fly and Numb as the lead singles to not be performed on the second tour for which they were available (both of those two missed Popmart). Some other lead singles appeared infrequently on their second tour - Fire is the leading example - but they still managed an appearance.

PS Breathe should never be played live again. If anything from NLOTH must be trotted out, the title track and Magnificent have the best claims in my view.

MOS is my favorite track from No Line, but I wasn't satisfied with the version they played on 360. Magnificent is probably the only song that will see the light of day again.

Is it just me or has the NLOTH album been pretty much entirely left out of th...

I'm surprised they haven't done the semi acoustic version of the song NLOTH, like they did at one show in 2010. I thought that was pretty good, but the band must've felt differently. It'd go well on the e-stage.

Breathe would also be a good e-stage rocker. The album version of "crazy tonight" would also probably work there, or maybe in a rotation with COBL.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

Stand up Comedy should make its tour debut. Straight after Volcano. It would be awesome.

They can't do the album version of Crazy Tonight, then people would realise the solo for SFS is pretty much an exact copy. :wink:

I think because the band decided to take somewhat of a risk by playing a lot of the new material they didn't want to alienate non die hard concert goers by playing fans from a relatively non-popular recent album as well.
Now that the tour seems to be well in its stride and the new songs are going well I'm sure NLOTH will pop up, as indeed Magnificent just has, I doubt they'd play Boots again for a while but you never know..

That makes a ton of sense. I think NLOTH is also hurt by its songs not making a ton of sense in the theme of the show, and they weren't big enough I hits for that to not matter.

NLOTH and Magnificent are the only songs that should show. maybe White as Snow on the e-stage like, once.

the version of Magnificent they played was incredible, and once they nail the intro, it'll bring the house down. honestly, if any song swaps out with/replaces COBL, it should be that.

NLOTH would really be a perfect e-stage song and I know the band has had interest in rehearsing it as such. hopefully they go through with it at some point.

Funny this thread pops up right after Magnificent gets played for the first time. That version was incredible and it has brought me back to listening to NLoTH. (at least the first 3 songs, which are all incredible)

Brought my appreciation for the song back, seriously it is so damn good. Might be top 25 for me.

The e-stage can be used for Stand Up (Comedy)
Yes, I said it. Live it could be great.

I wish they'd play NLOTH

And if they want to replace EBTTRT, they have the Crazy Tonight remix. Or maybe they can work out GET ON YOUR BOOTS for that slot.
I love GOYB.

Last edited:
The e-stage can be used for Stand Up (Comedy)
Yes, I said it. Live it could be great.

I wish they'd play NLOTH

And if they want to replace EBTTRT, they have the Crazy Tonight remix. Or maybe they can work out GET ON YOUR BOOTS for that slot.
I love GOYB.

Stand Up Comedy will never be played again.

Just watched Magnificent video from Amsterdam 4, really like this new version.
Funky stuff, way better without oooh-oooh's and with added Edge's vocals.
I hope they give it a try in EBTTRT's place as a rotation

For all my bluster, there isn't much that would make me want to walk out of a U2 concert. Stand Up Comedy, however, would.

Ordinary Love and Song For Someone are definitely strong bathroom break material. I would come back though; they wouldn't make me walk out altogether.

Last edited:
I would absolutely stick around to what they did with/to Stand Up Comedy. It's part of U2 history at that point. Plus, the song can't get much worse.

Back
Top Bottom