Can we just agree...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's no more than previous tours. Take most two night stands on 360 and you'll find 4-5 songs changed per night. Similar is true on the two tours before that.

IE has an unprecedented number of songs that U2 are cycling through over the whole leg, but the quantity of nightly changes is on par with the pattern of the previous three tours.

Fair enough.

It just feels different to me this time around.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Point taken but when you look at set variation on a 2 night basis, there is a 20-25% change.

I have seen the band over 20 times and multiple nights in a city and this is the most varied I have seen them night to night.

I think it's fair to compare ALL Chicago shows in 2005 against the 5 shows in 2015 and see how they compare.

Weren't some multi-night stands on ZOOTV with more variation than some of the double nights in 2015? I'm curious how much varation they get in Toronto compared to the 6 in Vancouver.

They did Please on the Elevation tour too

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it's fair to compare ALL Chicago shows in 2005 against the 5 shows in 2015 and see how they compare.

Weren't some multi-night stands on ZOOTV with more variation than some of the double nights in 2015? I'm curious how much varation they get in Toronto compared to the 6 in Vancouver.

I just checked some third leg ZooTV multi-night stands and the variation is mainly in covers really. Here's the Vancouver example:

Songs only done at Vancouver 1, 1992-11-03: Dirty Old Town, Redemption Song, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Ultra Violet
Songs only done at Vancouver 2, 1992-11-04: Wild Rover, Dancing Queen, Bad, Still Haven't Found, Stand By Me
Songs done at both: 19

As for Chicago 2005 vs Chicago this year, back in 2005 they did 31 different songs across four shows (counting An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart and The Cry/The Electric Co. as four songs rather than two). 16 were done at every show; 5 were done at three out of four (counting ACD/ITH separately); 6 were done at two out of four (counting Cry/TEC separately); and four just the once. Of course, this was partly affected by the DVD filming, on nights two and three, resulting in near-identical sets - Yahweh/OOTS is the only rotation.

So far in 2015, they have done 35 different songs (counting Happy Birthday) in Chicago. 19 have been done at all four shows; none have been done at three out of four; three have been done at two out of four; and 13 have been done at one out of four (counting Happy Birthday).

Make of that what you will.

Bono's line about Crystal Ballroom being THE song fans have been asking for struck me as odd. I think they only started asking after Bono acknowledged the rehearsal meeting fans in Phoenix. Fan polls have the song quite low, and I haven't really seen anybody complain that CB should have been on an album.

You should start paying attention more...

Fortunately Willie Williams still works for them. Just like last tour I think the second and third legs will bring multiple changes. SOI songs will drop off and SOE ones will creep in. Even then it won't be many. A big change will happen to the middle of the set just like on 360 (eg Your Blue Room, Zooropa etc).

What is interesting though is that they haven't tried different openings to the set. The first leg of Vertigo seemed to switch between COBL and LAPOE. Even the rest of the sequencing of songs seemed to change considerably over the leg. So far we seem to be stuck in this weird stagnant state.

I could see six SOE songs being played and 4 SOI songs being played when the next album drops.

Miracle is working great as an opener and unless they drop the SOI themed first act I see it opening almost every show on the tour, leaving room for a one-off opener or two. Act 1 should stay the same until the European leg is over, then who knows. I could see them messing around with the Act 2 opening though. Maybe move Invisible to the encore and change the Invisible-EBTTRT-Mysterious Ways suite to go for another idea, or start throwing in SOE songs. The good reception of the new material hopefully is raising their confidence in debuting some of that before the album drops. Hands/Pride will get reworked outside of America (Pride probably stays, but something else gets put between it and Bullet).

As for the resurrections mentioned earlier, I'd also count Sweetest Thing and don't discount When Love Comes to Town. There's also the borderline cases of Electric Co., Gloria, and Miracle Drug. Still, none of them (except Electric Co.) are remotely fixtures, so it's still nothing like the 360 revivals like UF, Ultraviolet, or HMTMKMKM.

Denver had 2 shows in 2001 and 2 shows in 2015.

I&E had 4 song changes while Elevation had 11 song changes.

While 2001 was 7 months apart, I still think it's a fair comparison given the bands remarks about setlist variation before the current tour.

"Phoned in" despite having the song's format changed up on this tour?

The band sounded inspired for a couple weeks, but the past couple weeks have them bored again. It seems silly to me for 3 of these songs done at most shows this tour:

WOWY/One/Found/Sunday

When the band look and sound bored playing these songs while other well known/top shelf u2 songs could be played in it's place.

They've done shows on past tours since 1987 where only 2 have been played.

The Chicago shows have been the best of the tour so far imo*

*For watching through somebody's mobile phone and engaging in a live commentary on a forum

The Chicago shows have been the best of the tour so far imo*

Agree, since I was at 2 of them :)
And I freaking love the new format of SBS. On recordings it doesn't quite come across, but live it is so powerful. Plus, I made eye contact with Larry at Chicago 3 during the song :faint:

I'm not surprised. That's why my two shows have been at Chicago!

my only U2 I attended was Chicago show in 2011 (at SOldier Field and it was 360 tour, obviously), and it was quite awesome, I really hated it when it was over because I wanted that show to go on.....

In my opinion, this entire argument about setlists is total bullshit when you see what other bands are doing. The fact that U2 only switches out a few songs each night is absolutely ridiculous - they should be much more creative and loose with their shows. It really is pathetic.

Look at what the Grateful Dead just did.

Not that I am a big fan, or a fan at all, but they just played five nights and in those five nights played 86, yes Eighty-Six different songs. They repeated ONE song, ONCE among the five shows and they probably had just forgotten they had already played it.

To me that takes balls - big ones.

Not playing the same thing night in and night out because you rented a big video screen and produced a bunch of cartoons for it that you want to amortize...

I mean, c'mon.

We all love the band, but let's call a spade a spade - how can you do multiple nights in a city and play pretty much the same thing each night?

I just don't get it.

:|

What's more boring? The fact that U2 plays static setlists or the fact that people still talk about it here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miracle is working great as an opener and unless they drop the SOI themed first act I see it opening almost every show on the tour, leaving room for a one-off opener or two. Act 1 should stay the same until the European leg is over, then who knows. I could see them messing around with the Act 2 opening though. Maybe move Invisible to the encore and change the Invisible-EBTTRT-Mysterious Ways suite to go for another idea, or start throwing in SOE songs. The good reception of the new material hopefully is raising their confidence in debuting some of that before the album drops. Hands/Pride will get reworked outside of America (Pride probably stays, but something else gets put between it and Bullet).

As for the resurrections mentioned earlier, I'd also count Sweetest Thing and don't discount When Love Comes to Town. There's also the borderline cases of Electric Co., Gloria, and Miracle Drug. Still, none of them (except Electric Co.) are remotely fixtures, so it's still nothing like the 360 revivals like UF, Ultraviolet, or HMTMKMKM.

I think Pride will get dropped for the Euro leg and instead the Troubles or Running To Stand Still will follow Bullet. Rotating those two on a nightly basis would be a win-win.
I think Reach Me Now could be a regular on the Euro leg and California might get dropped completely.

The way U2 set up this tour makes the static setlists a bit more annoying.

I understand having a static setlist and traveling to a lot of cities to play it.

I understand not wanting to travel and only playing a few cities.

But only playing a few cities, making people travel to come see you, and then playing basically the same show up to 8 times in the same city just seems lazy.

The way U2 set up this tour makes the static setlists a bit more annoying.

I understand having a static setlist and traveling to a lot of cities to play it.

I understand not wanting to travel and only playing a few cities.

But only playing a few cities, making people travel to come see you, and then playing basically the same show up to 8 times in the same city just seems lazy.

Amen.

Too bad I just do not think this message gets to the band, or they just do not care.

Unless you're going to all 8 shows (which only NYC appears to have anyway), I'm not quite sure it's the deal-breaker that some would make it out to be.

Unless you're going to all 8 shows (which only NYC appears to have anyway), I'm not quite sure it's the deal-breaker that some would make it out to be.

The band is well aware that they have a pretty good contingent of fans that will attend multiple nights in a city, otherwise the 4 to 8 night stands they are doing would probably not be viable. Coupled with the fact that they more or less advertised the shows would be done in "pairs" with variances from night to night, its not unreasonable for some folks to be miffed that 19 songs are etched in stone each night.
While its great they have played a fair number of different songs, its sad that only a few slots each night feature rotation.
Nobody expected them to be doing a Grateful Dead or Pearl Jam set list variation, but the expectation was certainly for more shake up than they are providing, and they created that expectation themselves.

The band is well aware that they have a pretty good contingent of fans that will attend multiple nights in a city, otherwise the 4 to 8 night stands they are doing would probably not be viable.

Right, but is that contingent going to consist of the majority most every night? Places like New York probably get multiple shows for the anticipated demand to see them live, not because of the sheer amount of fans that travel/attend every show in one place and might be adamant that they play different stuff every night (the ‘pairs’ thing has been debated elsewhere, so I’ll leave that there).

You probably get a good chunk of fans that might go to at least 2 in one place, but that number's going to go down significantly with every extra show they play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom