2-night sham ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won't lie, I was slightly disappointed, but still very grateful to be in the building. So many songs to choose from, and they can't make everyone happy. My only major gripe is WHY do they insist on keeping Bullet in the set list?

Because Bullet is fucking awesome?

It needed a break on 360, but I'm definitely glad it's back in the ie setlists.

So far I've seen 3 shows with 2-3 more planned. I really like the setlist. Love that they brought back Bullet. It really feels rejuvenated. Love the variety on the stripped down set, thus far I've heard, EBW, MW, Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes to Town, Electric!Desire, the Sweetest Thing and California. I. Now praying to any deity that will listen that somehow In God's Country isn't just a one off.

Yeah, U2 changed their plan, which is annoying, but if was planning to go to every local show anyway.

Bullet the Blue Sky is the big hit of this set for me. It sounds FIERCE.

The chorus sounds fierce because Bono has been nailing the falsetto...along with the rant...and Larry/Edge/Adam sound great throughout.....but what is up with the verses? Bono is changing the phrasing and melody and it just sounds sissy

Bono is changing the phrasing and melody and it just sounds sissy

dthdff_zps6b55f91a.gif

This what Willie Williams has to say about the 2 night set list...

WW: We fully intended to have two different set lists and make it a pair of shows. This idea survived all the way to the beginning of the music rehearsals, at which point it became apparent that it wasn’t really viable. I really believe that they could have rehearsed enough songs for two shows, and I would have very much enjoyed being able to delve into the catalog, but the question of which songs would be left out of any given show became too big to get around. The potential upset that a punter buys a ticket for the “wrong” show, depending on their personal taste, began to make it a bit of a minefield.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

WW: We fully intended to have two different set lists and make it a pair of shows. This idea survived all the way to the beginning of the music rehearsals, at which point it became apparent that it wasn’t really viable. I really believe that they could have rehearsed enough songs for two shows, and I would have very much enjoyed being able to delve into the catalog, but the question of which songs would be left out of any given show became too big to get around. The potential upset that a punter buys a ticket for the “wrong” show, depending on their personal taste, began to make it a bit of a minefield.

Trying to please all of us? Glad it's not my job! :D

Thanks for posting this... and there we have it. U2, in their need to please everyone all the time, is not pleasing everyone all the time. IMO I wish they'd get over themselves a bit and realize they have like 20 MASSIVE HITS and which casual fan would complain that they got TEN of them? Think about the people who love "One". Half of them went to the wrong show, the rest were like 'cool, they didn't play it'. Pick 10 mega-hits each night and fill out the rest, I can't imagine masses of people would be complaining about this, maybe I'm just wrong but I took a little poll around work and no one really gives two fucks about U2 but would go if they played here, and I said 'would you be mad if they didn't play "Sunday Bloody Sunday"? Peeps were like 'well they have SO many songs, whatever.'

These people are the definition of casual fans.

Sigh.

The best way to deal with this is "innocence" and "experience."

Innocence nights could've been a set heavy up to R&H, as well as supporting the album and perhaps throwing something like BD in there.

Experience nights could be AB and on, while also supporting the album and tossing in stuff like WOWY.

This way you can designate each night and a fan would've known what they were buying beforehand. This particularly would've worked with this tour because they're doing multiple nights in the same cities.

Casual fans would be pleased with the preservation of an "elite" set of songs, and diehard fans would be able to get picky.

The best way to deal with this is "innocence" and "experience."

Innocence nights could've been a set heavy up to R&H, as well as supporting the album and perhaps throwing something like BD in there.

Experience nights could be AB and on, while also supporting the album and tossing in stuff like WOWY.

This way you can designate each night and a fan would've known what they were buying beforehand. This particularly would've worked with this tour because they're doing multiple nights in the same cities.

Casual fans would be pleased with the preservation of an "elite" set of songs, and diehard fans would be able to get picky.

And if you can't afford 2 nights and you like their whole catalog you get screwed?

No matter what people would walk away upset they didn't get this or that. There's a thread going on right now where folks are saying I'm glad I got this but I'm heartbroken I didn't get that, and wishing that tonight doesn't get certain songs since they won't be there.

I understand. The same argument can be made about the band "skipping cities" though. That's something that is accepted, while set lists are taken for granted. What about fans in All the way up from Florida to Maryland? They all got gipped out of leg 1 (I don't actually think that way I'm just making a point).

My imagination leads me to believe they'll be back... and probably with stadiums. And probably with 1 night in many cities. And probably to the same cities like NYC and Boston and the sort. Seems like their opportunity to do multiple sets was now, as it would've probably come off as positive were it announced ahead of sales. Just my take.

For what it's worth I really don't care. I'm not "casual fan," but I'd be happy if they irritatingly only played SoI and Bomb. Whatever. It's U2. It's my favorite band. I'll enjoy it anyways.

Whatever. It's U2. It's my favorite band. I'll enjoy it anyways.

:up:

Oh upset shmupset.

While I'm sure there are people who walk away from a Springsteen show all pissy and actually don't enjoy the show because he didn't play 3 hours of hits and nothing but the hits, they're the overwhelming minority. The majority walk away talking about what a great, fun, amazing performer he is.

And that's exactly what would happen if U2 mixed shit up a little more.

Back
Top Bottom