Your I+E show suggestions ('if I were U2/Willie Williams thread') - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Your I+E show suggestions ('if I were U2/Willie Williams thread')

What would you suggest to further improve the existing I+E tour show - anything from whole setlists, song rotations to graphics ideas, choreography (lol) - but keeping it realistic, i.e. keeping the overall idea and the 'script' they have now.

It may be wrong trying to start a thread being a complete noob on this forum and not having attended any shows on the tour so far (ready to get burned), but I think the topic could be interesting
(and of course later on I want to post my suggestions so they don't bug me for days )

PS I hope I haven't missed an existing thread like this

malchik_petya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 02:13 AM
I would ditch the song or two where all four were inside the catwalk / cage / Thunderdome.

The songs were fine, I just thought it felt a bit staged and hokey and in my opinion it looked a bit limiting or restrictive for the band.

It would be interesting to add video of the other band members and have them walk in the Thunderdome to illustrate their respective neighborhoods... or maybe add some non-Bono footage of their childhood during Cedarwood Roads despite (I think) it being the name of Bono's street.

It might also be interesting to add some really old photos of the band to the video during the whole "were a band from the North side of Dublin" moment.

Also like to see a bit of Paul too... he was huge back in the early days and it would be nice to see him honored so to speak.

BWU2Buffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Have "Bullet" segue into "Cedarwood". This will increase the impact of "Cedarwood". Right now, it's a dead spot in the set list. It doesn't help that Bono rambles on about their childhood.

Not sure "COBL" is the right song to kickoff the encore/third act, especially with "WOWY" closing the main set. It felt flat on the first night, but better on the second night in Montreal.

They should do one cover a night (like they did last night) to add spice to the playlist.
Flaming_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

For invisible

They should film Bono singing and have it appear as if he's in the screen and have all the house lights down except for the screen. Then in the "I am not invisible, I am heeeeeeere" part the lights come up and BOOM Bono is in the upper deck singing

#ifU2showswererunbytheWWE
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 04:43 PM
1. Try opening with Raised By Wolves
2. Don't play COBL, Miracle Drug or Pride!
3. If playing One, ISHFWILF or Beautiful Day...play it during the first set
4. Bad or All I Want is You -> Streets
5. Gone to open the second set
6. Discotheque or Lemon to open the encore
7. Love is Blindness or 40 to end the show
Tommy WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 12:13 AM
-stop playing EBTTRT inside the stage. It was such a highlight in 360 and a little odd to see them caged up during the song

-switch up the opening song.
-maybe another song to segue into Streets

and of course I'd be on board with more song variations on the set but to be honest, it's a great show of you only have tickets to one night.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
-stop playing EBTTRT inside the stage. It was such a highlight in 360 and a little odd to see them caged up during the song
I might be in the minority here, but that part of the show actually might've been the highlight for me, surprisingly. I really enjoyed the video effects during the first part of the song as well.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy WM View Post
6. Discotheque or Lemon to open the encore
Bring back the LEMON!
Mrs. Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Zooropa somewhere in the second set with that fucking screen!
gareth brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Move Beautiful Day to open the encore (or the second encore song after COBL). Add The Troubles in its main set spot.

(Ideally, they could rotate some of the "warhorses," but I'm assuming they like the songs chosen, so other than "mix it up," this is my one realistic suggestion.)
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
For invisible

They should film Bono singing and have it appear as if he's in the screen and have all the house lights down except for the screen. Then in the "I am not invisible, I am heeeeeeere" part the lights come up and BOOM Bono is in the upper deck singing

#ifU2showswererunbytheWWE

over here my friends!
gareth brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Rotate at least 5 songs per night

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Here's a bunch of ideas I've been thinking about the most:

- Have The Fly open the second set every once in a while. Take the classic graphics and rework them a bit for the new setup. Flashing words and phrases would look amazing on this screen. I love Invisible, but I think there are a few songs they could work into those 'cage' slots to keep things exciting, and The Fly is at the top of this list for me.

- Have California as a staple somewhere very late in the set. Either at the end of the main one or as the second to last song of the encore. I'm not 100% sure that it would work, but I think it could. Have balloons flowing down on the crowd, like they did during One Tree Hill on a couple occasions on the 360 tour (if I'm not mistaken).

- Keep things rotating in those two 'meerkat' e-stage slots. This is an amazing idea to have different songs there pretty much every night and I hope they'll play Dirty Day, full band Stay, Kite, Staring at The Sun and lots of cool songs they don't get to play very often (dreams).

- Find a song to segue with the start of Streets. They've always had some really stunning transitions to Streets, but this time, promoting (Red) and trying to speechify while Edge is playing the intro feels almost criminal to me. I suggest Love Is Blindness -> Streets combo either at the end of main set or at the start of encore. Love Is Blindness MUST get played on this tour in full

- If there was a 'dance' remix of Crystal Ballroom (like Redanka's Crazy Tonight last tour) it could have been an amazing staple opening the encore.
- Surprise people with The Ocean + 11 O'Clock opening on some nights. And play Seconds. And 2 Hearts. And Celebration.
- Plus imo they should switch Hands That Built America for October once they hit the other side of Atlantic. And occasionaly replace Pride with NYD right after [2]

Sorry if my post is in 'tl;dr' department. Pretty sure it is indeed
And I'm yet to dig deeper into the encore issue, find a place for Lemon or touch upon their embarrassingly long neglect of Pop material.
malchik_petya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Start with Invisible
SpiralStaircase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay I'll bite.

Obviously my number one suggestion would be to play a completely different set every night... but as that's never happening.

#1) add even more songs to the opening rotation between The Miracle and Iris.

I have no issue with The Miracle opening at all, and like Iris as the opening to the whole themed part of the first set.

But I would rotate more uptempo crowd pleasers into the I Will Follow / Electric Co / Vertigo / Out Of Control slots...

New Years Day
Gloria
Two Hearts Beat As One
Wire
Stories For Boys

#2. Fix the intermission

I'm fine with the rest of the first set as is. I think the intermission followed up by Invisible confuses people who don't know what's going on ahead of time.

That slot could be better used by The Fly or Zoo Station, hit em over the head right from the start with a song they all know and some crazy multimedia shit show that interacts with the band, THEN do Invisible.

3. Stop talking before Streets

For fucks sake... Many of the universally accepted greatest live moments in U2 history involve how they segue a song into Streets. And you've got a giant fuck screen... It should be all red, not black and (red). This isn't hard.

Short of that, I'm pretty much okay with everything else, other than the "new" chorus in Miracle Drug

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote