Why they are doing this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoyOnTheHorizon

Refugee
Hi, long time no see...

I just can't understand why the band are leaving arguably the strongest tunes of SOI out of the setlist. I was watching the Paris concert and it's clear that the new songs are the weak spots of the show. They got two great live songs, California and Volcano. Then there is this intriguing, interesting tune in the form of Sleep like a Baby, and a possible crowd lifting one in Reach me Now, with a very nice beat and a sing along chorus. A full band, electric version of Breaking Wave would be much better live. Why leave them out??? I just dont get it. Normally new songs get a cold reaction with the crowd, specially when you have really epic songs like Streets, Bullet the Blue Sky and Until the end of the World in your repertoire. Its tough to compete with those. So bring the A game of your new record guys.
I have a taste of unfulfilled potential about this tour. They have a good, rejuvenated album on their hands, and they play its most conservative, downbeat songs on this new tour. Why, since its almost too obvious that those songs i mentioned above would transform the show...

Last edited:
But...how do you feel about the new Coldplay album?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Seriously? Have you been at a show?
The new songs work really well, and integrate really well with the best of section of the show. Especially Raised by Wolves is very powerful, Iris is perfectly intimate for this type of show, Cedarwood Road kind of groovy, Every Breaking Wave works very well as an acoustic version combined with October. I would also like to hear Volcano and who wouldn't love Sleep like a baby. But I have to admit that the latter wouldn't really fit the narrative of this tour, and it must be hard to turn into a live song. So I understand why it hasn't been played...
In any case I certainly don't have the feeling of unfulfilled potential. This tour has been absolutely amazing. Of course we always wish for a larger setlist, and there are a ton of songs I'd love to hear live, both from SOI and older albums. But they have to make a choice in the setlist. And they made a very good choice in this case! Wonderful setlists and wonderful live performances of SOI songs and older songs alike. (side note: I love love love what they have turned Bullet into. What a powerful song and so much better than the album version!!)

I just finished the show via HBO Now. What a very moving and powerful show. The production of this tour has been amazing and the narrative defined by the songs played that ranges from the beginning of the band, war, joy and current political topics is astounding and makes perfectly good sense. The new songs fit in perfectly and tell a story. Old songs are played with renewed vigor and have more significance in today's current climate of political unrest.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

it's a shame the characters who "graced" last night's setlist thread don't join in - i would love to see a thread where they can really go for it and have a proper blast :D

I wou;ld swap song for someone with California but I do get the reason it is played of course. for me raised by wolves is the highlight of the new song..sounds amazing live and realy is one of the highlights of the whole concert for me

Why I make threads like this?

Sorry but i can't praise everything they do. I am a huge fan, not a worshiper. When i watch a concert and the crowd is really ecstatic i feel somehting is out of place.
The show is very good, but could be much better. Check out the energy at the Elevation DVD in Boston. I know it's difficult for some people to admit that U2 sometimes fall short from greatness. This tour is not making the impact it should. At leat it's my perception.
And i am not saying that Wolves and Cedarwood are not great, they are. But Song for Someone, Iris and accoustic EBW, leaving their meaning for the band, etc, aside for a moment, are not just as good, uplifting and crowd pleasing as Volcano, California or full band EBW. And SLABT is probably the most interesting song on the album, with a good arrangement, heavier interpretation could be a highlight. And Reach me now, well, just try to imagine that live...

Last edited:
Sorry but i can't praise everything they do. I am a huge fan, not a worshiper. When i watch a concert and the crowd is really ecstatic i feel somehting is out of place.

Yeah, I hate when a crowd is ecstatic...

The whole "worship" praise everything they do" thing is tired, try real discussion sometime.

People who have gone are saying the new songs are some of the highlights; Miracle is much better live, Iris is an emotional highlight, Wolves is one of the strongest of this tour, etc.

California is great and I wish they found a way to make it fit and I agree Reach is a head scratcher, but that's about it. Volcano is fun but doesn't need to be a staple, and SLABT is one of my faves on the album but I don't think it would transfer live.

I'd also love to see Troubles, but you have to keep in mind their catalog and playing 3/4 of your new album would be almost impossible at this stage.

This is not about "everything U2 do is gold". But given your last two replies, I repeat my question: have you seen one of the shows live? If you haven't, don't judge. I know plenty of people whose perception of SOI and of the ie tour changed significantly after seeing it live (vs just youtube videos, HBO etc.). The energy is of course not the same in every city and in every venue, but almost all shows I've been to had great energy and the new songs ALL worked really well.
Agree 100% with BVS. They cannot realistically be expected to play more SOI songs on a regular basis. The songs they do play are part of the standard set because they're the core narrative of this show. So, playing some of the other SOI songs in addition, would mean taking out other songs. They've done that on some occasions (on e-stage). The "problem" is that they're trapped inside this golden cage that they created with a show that follows a strong narrative. So there are only a few songs which can be changed. That's the downside of having a show that truly tells a story. I'd love some more changes as well, but I see why they're not doing it. I'd rather put in some other old songs (for example An Cat Dubh would have worked wonderfully in Dublin in the e-stage block). There are also a few more songs they could play in the opening block. And one could argue that COBL and Beautiful Day could be replaced, but they are crowd pleasers... Anyways, this is straying too far from the topic :)

This being Christmastime, I might as well invoke a Christmas analogy.

BOTH's "complaint" reminds me of Christmas morning when all of the children are gathered around the tree enjoying their gifts from Santa and complimenting him on another fine job of bringing them nice things for Christmas. And then there's Little Johnny (portrayed by BOTH). He's not so happy with what Santa brought him and all of his hard work. (And the elves too, for that matter). He didn't get what he wanted, so naturally, he's pissed. He can't figure out what all the fuss is about. Sure, he got a few things that he liked, but it wasn't the one gift that he truly wanted. "Why did Santa do this to me? Didn't he know I wanted (insert gift) for Christmas? How dare you heap praise on this man? He came up short. Why!?!". Of course, the other children looked at him like he was crazy, but they soon returned to enjoying what Santa had brought them. Meanwhile, Little Johnny simply sulked in the corner while the all of the other children couldn't have cared less about him.

Moral of the story:

Enjoy what you've been given and don't complain about what you haven't gotten.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, my parents would've smacked little Johnny and taught him something about being thankful for what you have.. :wink:

Hi, long time no see...

I just can't understand why the band are leaving arguably the strongest tunes of SOI out of the setlist. I was watching the Paris concert and it's clear that the new songs are the weak spots of the show. They got two great live songs, California and Volcano. Then there is this intriguing, interesting tune in the form of Sleep like a Baby, and a possible crowd lifting one in Reach me Now, with a very nice beat and a sing along chorus. A full band, electric version of Breaking Wave would be much better live. Why leave them out??? I just dont get it. Normally new songs get a cold reaction with the crowd, specially when you have really epic songs like Streets, Bullet the Blue Sky and Until the end of the World in your repertoire. Its tough to compete with those. So bring the A game of your new record guys.
I have a taste of unfulfilled potential about this tour. They have a good, rejuvenated album on their hands, and they play its most conservative, downbeat songs on this new tour. Why, since its almost too obvious that those songs i mentioned above would transform the show...

I agree with you 100%

The newer songs they have picked for the live shows are simply not up to the job.

Iris,Cedarwood Road ,and A Song for Someone are absolute crowd killers from my experience on the tour .
The crowd are really hyped up from the first four songs and then its like a lead balloon being released with these 3 songs in a row ,they absolutely kill the energy.

The Miracle of Joey Ramone is pretty mediocre too but as its the opening song its not a big issue as the crowd is so hyped up .

Why has the Troubles been axed ,its the best song on the album by far .
California would be an excellent song live too,possibly as an opener and Sleep like a Baby would be a nice addition.

The acoustic version of Every Breaking Wave ,I dont like it either ,its one of the worst acoustic songs I can remember in many a tour,the full band version is far better,even the original version off the 360 tour is better.

I can understand why the band and Bono have primarily chosen the songs they have to perform live due to the personal attachment to them but they are poor songs live and especially playing 3 songs in a row is a serious mistake.

I agree with you 100%

The newer songs they have picked for the live shows are simply not up to the job.

Iris,Cedarwood Road ,and A Song for Someone are absolute crowd killers from my experience on the tour .

The crowd are really hyped up from the first four songs and then its like a lead balloon being released with these 3 songs in a row ,they absolutely kill the energy.

The Miracle of Joey Ramone is pretty mediocre too but as its the opening song its not a big issue as the crowd is so hyped up .

California would be an excellent song live too,possibly as an opener and Sleep like a Baby would be a nice addition.

The acoustic version of Every Breaking Wave ,I dont like it either ,its one of the worst acoustic songs I can remember in many a tour,the full band version is far better,even the original version off the 360 tour is better.

I can understand why the band and Bono have primarily chosen the songs they have to perform live due to the personal attachment to them but they are poor songs live and especially playing 3 songs in a row is a serious mistake.

Iris and Cedarwood Road are crowd killers, yet the Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight would get people hyped? Did you see the Troubles live? I did, it was a great song but the crowd just wasn't digging it. Not to mention Cedarwood Road fucking rocks and Iris is really great live.

I agree with you 100%

California a good opener and Sleep wouldn't be a crowd killer? Your resume for tour consultant has been shredded.

Although 'killing the energy' is not the phrase I would use, the change of pace from the opening quartet to Iris is very intentional on the band's part, I think. You can't expect a crowd to bounce up and down for two hours straight - I am very energetic at U2 concerts and I remember being almost grateful that they 'let me have a break' after the first four songs. Iris is emotional, it's not supposed to be high-energy.

Finally I went with two non-fans to two separate shows and both said the acoustic EBW was their favourite part of the show (they also both mentioned Bullet, to which I can only agree)

The show is very good, but could be much better. Check out the energy at the Elevation DVD in Boston. I know it's difficult for some people to admit that U2 sometimes fall short from greatness. This tour is not making the impact it should. At leat it's my perception.
And i am not saying that Wolves and Cedarwood are not great, they are. But Song for Someone, Iris and accoustic EBW, leaving their meaning for the band, etc, aside for a moment, are not just as good, uplifting and crowd pleasing as Volcano, California or full band EBW. And SLABT is probably the most interesting song on the album, with a good arrangement, heavier interpretation could be a highlight. And Reach me now, well, just try to imagine that live...

Here here

Been a fan and lucky to watch them since the late 80's

But you can't criticise them on here too many idol worshippers

Oh, honestly. If you think people don't criticize U2 on this site, you haven't been paying attention.

Just because posters here are generally happy with the way the tour panned out doesn't mean we never have anything bad to say.

Why fiasco? In the end he was allowed to go ahead, no? (I didn't really follow the whole story...)

Why fiasco? In the end he was allowed to go ahead, no? (I didn't really follow the whole story...)

it was some fiasco as they initially declined the permission to build but Edge donated money to restore the other portion of the land to make up for what his mansion was going to destroy. it wasn't quite a fiasco for sure but....i'll say it was fiasco anyways because of the lack of better words.

Apparently you can only say something positive about U2 after first mentioning 3 things you don't like about the band if you want to be taken seriously by some.
Of course these 3 negative things will also have to be things they agree with, otherwise you are still a sheep.

Almost entertaining that notion;
1. This is where you can reach me now is the most overhyped song on Interference
2. Since Mercy
3. It would have been nice if they had mixed up the few slots open for variation a bit more. It seems especially unnecessary to have night 1 and 2 the same in different cities.

This tour was awesome though.
And the final show about as good as it gets.

-At least Reach Around was an actual album track.

-I was disappointed they didn't play it on the tour, but despite its absence from the setlist, I still enjoyed the concert that I went to. Perhaps we'll get to hear it on the next tour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom