Why no Portland or Seattle???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2016, plan on Seattle.

Portland, though, may be a little below their radar now.

Because Vancouver is the biggest of those three PNW cities. That's my assumption. Thank goodness for my passport!

If the rumor of stadiums in 2016 is correct, then I would guess Seattle will get a slot.

This is an arena tour, therefore Vancouver wins the market. They're selling 4,000 more tickets for each night at Rogers instead of the Key. The Key can't compete. $$$

Seattle area > 3.6 million
Vancouver area > 2.3 million

Huh, I had no idea. I must have just been thinking the city itself, because when I go to Vancouver my thought is "wow, this is much bigger than Seattle!" Ha.

I like Key Arena for concerts. (Because I can easily take the bus there.)

Oh, fuck no.

Although if I can drive all that way and back the same night for Arcade Fire, I could do it for U2. It's indeed gorgeous.

I guess it's time to stop saying "fuck no" as my knee-jerk Gorge reaction. It would suck as a U2 location though - middle of nowhere, very few hotels within short distance, camping is the only "big" option if you don't want to drive at least an hour.

Sounds like Moncton!

Seeing Arcade Fire and U2 on the same night was worth every bit of the cold and damp-as-hell Moncton. I only wish I had somehow known about the 'Shark Attack' show the previous night.

Yeah, Arcade Fire opening was a strong selling point to get me to Moncton.

What's the Shark Attack thing? I ended up having to stop in Fredericton the night before. Managed to get one of the few remaining hotel rooms (apparently). Thank god.

Seattle area > 3.6 million
Vancouver area > 2.3 million

Seattle should get a 2016 show at CenturyLink field.

Incidentally, the most recent census estimates listed on Wikipedia clock metro Vancouver in at 2.313 million... and metro Portland in at 2.314 million. That technically makes Vancouver the third largest metropolitan area in the Pacific Northwest, by approximately one thousand people.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

There may be tax benefits with the number of days certain band members spend in the US. The last time we had that discussion we couldn't find a consensus on the number of days of the math used to calculate limits. Rogers Arena(formerly GM Place) has one of the highest ceilings in north America which may have been a selling point for the band/production team in 2005 and 2015.

The band seems to like the city. Several days in in Spring & Fall in 1992, including a end of tour party in April. Couple days here in 1997. Rumoured Bono appearance here circa 1999. A good week here in March/April 2005. Couple days here in 2009 including a tour wrap party and a visit from Bill Gates. Band stayed in North Vancouver at someone's mansion for all the days between Winnipeg/Oakland in 2011. I think their visits in 83/87/01 we "hit 'n run".

I can't blame U2 for loving Vancouver. It's a wonderful city.

Yeah, Arcade Fire opening was a strong selling point to get me to Moncton.

What's the Shark Attack thing? I ended up having to stop in Fredericton the night before. Managed to get one of the few remaining hotel rooms (apparently). Thank god.

They played an unannounced show under an alias at a small festival the night before the U2 gig (I think), which was the night after their headline show in Dartmouth I went to. So I got to see AF twice in three nights, but was greedy and would have loved to somehow known about the fest show.

Arcade Fire give fans an 'intense musical gyration' at New Brunswick festival - The Globe and Mail

Oh, fuck no.

Although if I can drive all that way and back the same night for Arcade Fire, I could do it for U2. It's indeed gorgeous.

I guess it's time to stop saying "fuck no" as my knee-jerk Gorge reaction. It would suck as a U2 location though - middle of nowhere, very few hotels within short distance, camping is the only "big" option if you don't want to drive at least an hour.

Sounds like Moncton!

I'm with you. Screw the Gorge. Why does everybody think that's the greatest place to see a show? Guess Dave Matthews made it the place to go. Yeah, I've been there several times but the 3 hour drive after the show and lack of services in the middle of nowhere is just not worth it. Forget camping. Maybe I'm getting old but I prefer to see shows in the big city. I'll take "crappy" Key Arena over the Gorge any day.

Hear, hear! (Or is it here, here? I never remember.)

If you have someone to share driving duties on the way back it's do-able, but it would be a terrible place for a U2 show, just for the GA situation alone. There is nothing there except a few porta-potties. And the camping thing? Fuck, no.

I saw Van Morrison there about 5-6 years ago, and Arcade Fire this past summer. Glad I went, but if a band I love announces a show there, I sigh heavily and roll my eyes, and then the bitching and moaning sets in. :lol:

I've seen DMB's live from the Gorge DVD. It looks awesome, but yeah, I can see why people would hate it. It would also suck for a U2 concert.

By the way, this summer DMB will play it's 50th show at the Gorge! They first played there in 1996. Since 2000 they've done 3 shows there per year, every year, usually on Labor Day weekend. They're my second favorite band after U2. Say what you want about them, but they've treated their fans well.

There may be tax benefits with the number of days certain band members spend in the US.

That would likely play a major role. Look at previous tours, with the band often racing out of US shows near the Canadian or Mexican border to ensure that they leave before midnight and don't incur an extra day for tax purposes.

Hear, hear! (Or is it here, here? I never remember.)

"Hear, hear." It derives from directing attention to, and indicating agreement with, a speaker's statement.

Back
Top Bottom