u2 play 3Arena in December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'd have thought they could just shorten the catwalk? Anyhow seems a bit short sighted if it really doesn't fit

Sent from my GT-I9195 using U2 Interference mobile app

Most of that is seating, if you look at pics the GA is pretty small

No ,the standing area can hold 8000 people for normal gigs as the lower level of tiered seats (20 rows) is removed.
The seating capacity is 6,500 with the large standing layout.

The all seated capacity is 9,500.

I doubt there are many GA venues on the tour as big as the one in Dublin.
The problem is the GA is very wide but not that deep
Here is a picture ,remember first 20 seats of tiered seating will be removed
http://www.mapaplan.com/seating-pla...l-interactive-inside-tour-high-resolution.jpg

The Hydro in Glasgow is actually quite a conventional shaped arena ,its almost full 360,its much better at accommodating the stage.
http://orchestraforanewcentury.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/70202985_hydroone.jpg

No ,the standing area can hold 8000 people for normal gigs as the lower level of tiered seats (20 rows) is removed.

http://www.mapaplan.com/seating-pla...l-interactive-inside-tour-high-resolution.jpg

The Hydro in Glasgow is actually quite a conventional shaped arena ,its almost full 360,its much better at accommodating the stage.
http://orchestraforanewcentury.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/70202985_hydroone.jpg

Sorry that is what I was trying to say, the width of GA is very big

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Definitely one of those cases where I'd be happy just to be able to be in the building, for even just one of the shows.

Good post there fano. If they can't shorten the catwalk then I really think they've dropped a bollock here, they must have known the arena size when designing the stage?
Or they never intended playing Dublin indoors (with this stage anyhow) with the probable reason the backlash they would face about the ticket prices and the 'not fitting' is a convenient excuse.
One night at the Gaiety Theatre, just before Xmas, high ticket prices going to charity and a hour show of acoustic joviality is my guess:hmm:

Thanks Fano, very informative info. Wow, that would certainly be an interesting place to see U2. Such a small venue. No wonder they're taking their time, probably scratching their heads trying to get a layout that works.

stage discussion
I suppose the i+e stage won't fit in it's normal configuration. But it looks like the best seats for i+e are from the sides. Wonder if they could turn the stage sideways? Nah, wouldn't be good views when they performed on the 'I'. Maybe they could just use the 'I' stage. Hope they can utilise their screen at least

I just find it surprising that in December they announced Dublin dates were forthcoming, and still nothing. It won't be a good look if nothing eventuates, especially because, well, how hard can it be? I think people are far more interested in seeing U2 in Dublin full stop than demanding it be a specific stage. Failing to play Dublin dates because of a muddle over fitting in a specific stage would be daft.

I just find it surprising that in December they announced Dublin dates were forthcoming, and still nothing. It won't be a good look if nothing eventuates, especially because, well, how hard can it be? I think people are far more interested in seeing U2 in Dublin full stop than demanding it be a specific stage. Failing to play Dublin dates because of a muddle over fitting in a specific stage would be daft.

Not to mention there would be a lot of people who skipped going to other Euro shows in order to use their presale codes for Dublin which they were told are happening.
No Dublin shows = lots of pissed fans.

Just do Slane over the summer break and nobody will complain. :wink:

Slane is also a rubbish venue really, not as bad as Croke Park though. Indoor is the best. They just need to do basically 6 nights in the Odyssey Arena in Belfast (nearly 7,000 seats and 3,000 GA) and 6 nights in the 3 Arena in Dublin (6,500 seats and about 7/8,000 GA. That is what is needed to come anywhere close to matching demand. That is still only about 140-145,000 people, which is still not even 2 Croke Parks, therein lies the problem!

Yeap! Saved my presale code to Dublin, and now I don't have the Dublin concerts OR the presale code :lol: #notfunny

In the interview, they clearly cut out the part where Bono talks about the shows in Dublin taking place in December, but they didn't cut the part where he says the stage won't fit in the 3Arena.

It's already May, the tour is about to start, so I wonder if they're really going to make the Dublin shows in the end of the year, of if they're going to make something in Dublin, not related to the tour (like 'Busking in 3Arena, Christmas Concerts with U2 and Guests"), and take the gig to Croke Park in 2016...

Not to mention there would be a lot of people who skipped going to other Euro shows in order to use their presale codes for Dublin which they were told are happening.
No Dublin shows = lots of pissed fans.

Yes,that is exactly my predicament.
I held off on traveling to somewhere like London or Barcelona thinking that the Dublin indoor gigs would be going ahead .

Slane is also a rubbish venue really, not as bad as Croke Park though. Indoor is the best.
Agree ,Slane is a dump and an absolute nightmare of a venue to get into and out of .
Croke Park is overrated as a venue,the pitch is too wide and long ,so the stands are back too far .
The stage for the Vertigo tour was up too high as well ,they built it on one of the terraces,I had a pain in my neck from looking up .

Indoor is the best way to see the band.
I last saw them indoors in 2001 in Manchester ,they haven't toured indoors in Europe since ,it was the best gig I have ever been to .
Much more intimate gig and the lighting effects indoor are great ,thats a huge drawback of the outdoor gigs in Ireland and the Uk,its usually not dark until 10pm during the summer and we have silly curfew laws so most of the gigs take place in daylight.

I think people are far more interested in seeing U2 in Dublin full stop than demanding it be a specific stage. Failing to play Dublin dates because of a muddle over fitting in a specific stage would be daft.

True,I'd be happy to see them like in 2001 with just 4 small tv screens above the stage ,a big fancy screen isnt as important for an indoor gig.

The furthest seat in the venue is 60m from the stage so with the large standing area ,they have about 35m to work with as a runway ,that's more than enough.

O2dublininterior.jpg

I think I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a ticket dump for a gig in the Uk or mainland Europe ,even if its short notice I can fly over or get the boat .
I cant miss out on seeing them indoors.

Fano, agreed on all points. Also snap on the plan to hold off on going to see them in London, Barca or Glasgow, as indoors is the only way to go. My last euro indoor concert was also Manchester MEN in 2001! A fantastic concert, Kite amazing. I was also in GA that night, just in front of Joe at the sound deck. There really are few bad spots in a modern arena, either visual or audio.

When I was tootling around the Slane area a few years ago, one of the thoughts that passed through my mind was "Wow, it must SUCK getting to and from concerts."

I mean, holy shit. What a nightmare. And it's not like there are sidewalks to walk to a B&B a mile away. I can't imagine trying to drive those roads with 100 people walking to wherever.

Yikes.

Yes,that is exactly my predicament.
Agree ,Slane is a dump and an absolute nightmare of a venue to get into and out of .

When I was tootling around the Slane area a few years ago, one of the thoughts that passed through my mind was "Wow, it must SUCK getting to and from concerts."

I mean, holy shit. What a nightmare. And it's not like there are sidewalks to walk to a B&B a mile away. I can't imagine trying to drive those roads with 100 people walking to wherever.

Yikes.
Actually there were some B&B's about. Not many, but a few. I actually booked TWO of them. Once we were out of the parking lot we only had to drive a couple of minutes north. It was the quickest I've ever been back from a concert I think.

My lazy friends never took me up on the offer of the second B&B, so that booking was cancelled. They had to join the throng of traffic heading south to Dublin. Didn't get to Dublin until 4am!

I do like the atmosphere at Slane, with the castle, & the natural amphitheater shape of the land (great to look back into the crowd during Streets, & when Chilli Peppers had everyone swinging their shirts above their heads).

Also if you're a good runner this is a great place for GA, it's a lonnnggggg way from the gates to the stage. I'm a pretty good runner, & this felt like a cross country race, running along a trail through the woods. Flying past other slower folk, then down the slope towards the heart :bump:

Yikes.

When I went to Slane in 2001 ,one of my buddies knew a guy at work whose aunt lived in Slane so we were able to get a residents pass.

It was sheer bliss seeing the police waving us through road block after road block ,we were able to drive right into the village .

I can still see us flying along the closed roads with a bootleg cd of one of the earlier gigs blaring out on the stereo .:hyper:
People were going crazy ,women were offering their bodies for a spin .
We were kings for a day .

3Arena looks pretty wide I think. I wonder if they can just the screen (would be a shame not to), one side facing the audience, with something like the I-stage under it.

In the name of love: Bono says Yes as U2 gear up for start of world tour

"The band confirmed that their iNNOCENCE + EXPERIENCE stage show will not play Dublin in its present form as there is no arena big enough to hold it"

“There may be acoustic shows. We will play the (3Arena) but we can’t play the present show,” he said while confirming that Music Generation students who were funded by U2 will also be involved in the show.

The Edge said playing the full show in Dublin wouldn’t make sense. “It would be a terrible venue for it. We won’t be able to bring this particular show to Dublin, but we’re definitely going to be doing Dublin. We just haven’t figured out how.”

Last edited:
How hard can it be to just set up the main stage, hang a screen behind the band that displays the same content that the current IE screen does? Sure, Bono won't be able to walk inside the screen, etc, but I doubt any fans at the concert are going to care about that. Just play the e-stage set on the main stage, and maybe have a catwalk or 2 going into the crowd.

I guess I won't be at these concerts, so it doesn't really matter to me. Just seems like another case of U2 overthinking everything.

Back
Top Bottom