U2 Montreal Rant! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 07:03 PM
U2 Montreal Rant!

I’m a huge u2 fan (although I don’t come here often or go to concerts all over the world – budget restrictions).

Yesterday was my 7th concert and by far my least favorite!

Altough I have nothing against the choice of songs and their interpretations, I do think that the design stinks!

First of all, not sure who to blame for this (U2 team or Evenko) but when I bought the tickets online when they were first available I made sure the stage was facing me, at the other end of the rink. That's where section 107 was and was expecting this. But when I got there yesterday I was in the back of it! First strike! (I am not the only knowing we got screwed, the people behind me also complained they had purchased tickets for front facing stage!)

Being in the back, pretty much down in the middle, the big screen over the catwalk was pretty much useless to us! We couldn’t see anything on it! It wasn’t rotating (why not?)!

But it was going lower though! Result: when the band or member was on the catwalk or on the smaller stage, we couldn’t see anything! That screen was blocking our view! Not live not the images on the screen!

The only small screen attached to the top was neither the same thing nor the complete thing (wasn’t showing the stars on the screen, just Bono for example). And filming the main screen is not the same thing. If I wanted to watch the concert on tv I would have waited for the Bluray …and I may do this next time!

And when the band was in the screen itself, well you guessed it, I wasn’t seeing anything at all!

And being in the back of the stage, I was expecting the band members (except perhaps Larry) to turn and face us more often (I was behind in 360 and they turned around much more often).

My other 6 concerts were much more fun and emotional. Not as much yesterday. No other concert that I can remember (popmart, Elevation, Vertigo, 360) where there was “blind spots” and where you could not see the screen(s). Sure some may have been “bad angles” (popmart). But no angle at all? And to block the musicians all together?

No I am sorry, and regardless of the reviews, obviously they didn’t consider all the customers/fans (and I didn’t pay a reduced price for less of a show than other fans). I will reconsider next time before spending my hard-earned money on a U2 concert that I feel was less than ideal!

P.S. I understand that most of you will have enjoyed the show and will defend this concept/design but for me (and others), you must understand that this was simply not acceptable as a design. I was left in the cold and I don’t think they care much! Seriously, didn’t they catch that some concertgoers wouldn’t see the screen and even get blocked by it? They did catch this but went ahead with this anyway!

macfisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 PM
I'm not sure how you got confused by what part of what stage you were facing, for even the most generic diagrams had that part pretty clear.

And of course U2 knew those seats wouldn't be able to see the screen and they were priced accordingly.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the show.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
45:33

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfisto View Post
I’m a huge u2 fan (although I don’t come here often or go to concerts all over the world – budget restrictions).

Yesterday was my 7th concert and by far my least favorite!

Altough I have nothing against the choice of songs and their interpretations, I do think that the design stinks!

First of all, not sure who to blame for this (U2 team or Evenko) but when I bought the tickets online when they were first available I made sure the stage was facing me, at the other end of the rink. That's where section 107 was and was expecting this. But when I got there yesterday I was in the back of it! First strike! (I am not the only knowing we got screwed, the people behind me also complained they had purchased tickets for front facing stage!)

Being in the back, pretty much down in the middle, the big screen over the catwalk was pretty much useless to us! We couldn’t see anything on it! It wasn’t rotating (why not?)!

But it was going lower though! Result: when the band or member was on the catwalk or on the smaller stage, we couldn’t see anything! That screen was blocking our view! Not live not the images on the screen!

The only small screen attached to the top was neither the same thing nor the complete thing (wasn’t showing the stars on the screen, just Bono for example). And filming the main screen is not the same thing. If I wanted to watch the concert on tv I would have waited for the Bluray …and I may do this next time!

And when the band was in the screen itself, well you guessed it, I wasn’t seeing anything at all!

And being in the back of the stage, I was expecting the band members (except perhaps Larry) to turn and face us more often (I was behind in 360 and they turned around much more often).

My other 6 concerts were much more fun and emotional. Not as much yesterday. No other concert that I can remember (popmart, Elevation, Vertigo, 360) where there was “blind spots” and where you could not see the screen(s). Sure some may have been “bad angles” (popmart). But no angle at all? And to block the musicians all together?

No I am sorry, and regardless of the reviews, obviously they didn’t consider all the customers/fans (and I didn’t pay a reduced price for less of a show than other fans). I will reconsider next time before spending my hard-earned money on a U2 concert that I feel was less than ideal!

P.S. I understand that most of you will have enjoyed the show and will defend this concept/design but for me (and others), you must understand that this was simply not acceptable as a design. I was left in the cold and I don’t think they care much! Seriously, didn’t they catch that some concertgoers wouldn’t see the screen and even get blocked by it? They did catch this but went ahead with this anyway!
You know that the full stop is a perfectly acceptable way to end a sentence?
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Acrobat

The tickets you bought were pretty clearly marked 'obstructed view', and were priced accordingly. Evenko and U2 made it pretty clear.
Badyouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
The tickets you bought were pretty clearly marked 'obstructed view', and were priced accordingly. Evenko and U2 made it pretty clear.
Define "pretty clear" as I don't recall seing anything online when placing my order. No huge pop-up or anything. Didn’t see this in waiting room or anything.

I have the email they sent me for the confirmation of the transaction (with seats and all) and I don’t see this on the email.

Please detail me where/how they mentionned this. Screenshot?

“priced accordingly” Not really, I was hesitating , for the same price at other seats on the sides….which would have been much better. And there were cheaper seats that I am sure got to see something.

Happy you enjoyed your show. I’m just saying that this design is poor and that nobody should be left in the cold just so they can “fill every seat”. And I am not the only one mentionning this apparently (which I am finding out this morning by reading more…I was trying to save the surprise by not reading too much on the tour)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I'm not sure how you got confused by what part of what stage you were facing, for even the most generic diagrams had that part pretty clear.
Based on images I am seeing this morning on the web relating to this concert, I am right. For example, I see "red zone" at the opposite side of the rink to 107. Not sure how I could assume Red Zone was actually "away" from the main stage
Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You know that the full stop is a perfectly acceptable way to end a sentence?
Yes I do!

You do know this is rant so I'll probably say and do what I want! lol
Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

U2 Montreal Rant!

Just going off uk prices,its sounds as if you brought the £90 tickets, now when youve got alot of tickets priced at £165 then surely you would have realised those tickets are the ones with the better views?

It was made quite clear from the very start the stage was going to be from front to back instead of the usual left to right. The ticket maps highlighted this from the begining.

But if your buying a ticket at more or less half the price of the next tickets up then its common sense really that your not going to have a great view.

If the staging and pricing wasnt known information from the start then i would totally agree with you,but both were known before the tickets even went on sale!
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Based on images I am seeing this morning on the web relating to this concert, I am right. For example, I see "red zone" at the opposite side of the rink to 107. Not sure how I could assume Red Zone was actually "away" from the main stage
Most maps messed up the Red Zone location, had them at the end of the E stage. So I doubt they were very accurate in the first place.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Why didn't the main screen rotate? Because it was the entire length of the floor so simply would not fit if rotated

KUEFC09U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Don't ever go based on red zone. You did notice there were 2 stages based on the diagram, correct? So you knew you'd be behind one of them, correct? Which stage looked bigger according to the diagram you saw?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
Why didn't the main screen rotate? Because it was the entire length of the floor so simply would not fit if rotated

Not to mention the time/expense involved.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
Acrobat

This is the right hand side of the ticket. It was also written as you purchased them, but I don't have a screenshot of that.

Pretty clear
Badyouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:03 PM

The original location of the Red Zones were near the e stage. And as you can see here...

... section 107 is always end stage at concerts. Unless it's truly middle of the arena stage, the "behind the stage" section in arenas is always in the same place.

Should U2 and Live Nation have been a little more forthcoming with the stage and screen design and made it abundantly clear exactly how obstructed certain views were? Yes. I agree with that.

Could anyone figure out where the rear stage sections would be with just the bare minimum amount of research? Also yes.

Their end stage screens need improvement. I don't know how they missed that, and they really need to make that experience better as they move onto Europe.

So i have some sympathy towards those who are on either end of the screen, but not knowing where the rear stage sections were? Yea, you could have figured that out with about 10 seconds worth of research.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, I can understand if that top diagram was the one shown, BUT as it's been said, the left hand side is always behind stage. Diagrams will always read from left to right.

Tags
montreal, rant