U2 Montreal Rant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macfisto

The Fly
I’m a huge u2 fan (although I don’t come here often or go to concerts all over the world – budget restrictions).

Yesterday was my 7th concert and by far my least favorite!

Altough I have nothing against the choice of songs and their interpretations, I do think that the design stinks!

First of all, not sure who to blame for this (U2 team or Evenko) but when I bought the tickets online when they were first available I made sure the stage was facing me, at the other end of the rink. That's where section 107 was and was expecting this. But when I got there yesterday I was in the back of it! First strike! (I am not the only knowing we got screwed, the people behind me also complained they had purchased tickets for front facing stage!)

Being in the back, pretty much down in the middle, the big screen over the catwalk was pretty much useless to us! We couldn’t see anything on it! It wasn’t rotating (why not?)!

But it was going lower though! Result: when the band or member was on the catwalk or on the smaller stage, we couldn’t see anything! That screen was blocking our view! Not live not the images on the screen!

The only small screen attached to the top was neither the same thing nor the complete thing (wasn’t showing the stars on the screen, just Bono for example). And filming the main screen is not the same thing. If I wanted to watch the concert on tv I would have waited for the Bluray …and I may do this next time!

And when the band was in the screen itself, well you guessed it, I wasn’t seeing anything at all!

And being in the back of the stage, I was expecting the band members (except perhaps Larry) to turn and face us more often (I was behind in 360 and they turned around much more often).

My other 6 concerts were much more fun and emotional. Not as much yesterday. No other concert that I can remember (popmart, Elevation, Vertigo, 360) where there was “blind spots” and where you could not see the screen(s). Sure some may have been “bad angles” (popmart). But no angle at all? And to block the musicians all together?

No I am sorry, and regardless of the reviews, obviously they didn’t consider all the customers/fans (and I didn’t pay a reduced price for less of a show than other fans). I will reconsider next time before spending my hard-earned money on a U2 concert that I feel was less than ideal!

P.S. I understand that most of you will have enjoyed the show and will defend this concept/design but for me (and others), you must understand that this was simply not acceptable as a design. I was left in the cold and I don’t think they care much! Seriously, didn’t they catch that some concertgoers wouldn’t see the screen and even get blocked by it? They did catch this but went ahead with this anyway!

I'm not sure how you got confused by what part of what stage you were facing, for even the most generic diagrams had that part pretty clear.

And of course U2 knew those seats wouldn't be able to see the screen and they were priced accordingly.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the show.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I’m a huge u2 fan (although I don’t come here often or go to concerts all over the world – budget restrictions).

Yesterday was my 7th concert and by far my least favorite!

Altough I have nothing against the choice of songs and their interpretations, I do think that the design stinks!

First of all, not sure who to blame for this (U2 team or Evenko) but when I bought the tickets online when they were first available I made sure the stage was facing me, at the other end of the rink. That's where section 107 was and was expecting this. But when I got there yesterday I was in the back of it! First strike! (I am not the only knowing we got screwed, the people behind me also complained they had purchased tickets for front facing stage!)

Being in the back, pretty much down in the middle, the big screen over the catwalk was pretty much useless to us! We couldn’t see anything on it! It wasn’t rotating (why not?)!

But it was going lower though! Result: when the band or member was on the catwalk or on the smaller stage, we couldn’t see anything! That screen was blocking our view! Not live not the images on the screen!

The only small screen attached to the top was neither the same thing nor the complete thing (wasn’t showing the stars on the screen, just Bono for example). And filming the main screen is not the same thing. If I wanted to watch the concert on tv I would have waited for the Bluray …and I may do this next time!

And when the band was in the screen itself, well you guessed it, I wasn’t seeing anything at all!

And being in the back of the stage, I was expecting the band members (except perhaps Larry) to turn and face us more often (I was behind in 360 and they turned around much more often).

My other 6 concerts were much more fun and emotional. Not as much yesterday. No other concert that I can remember (popmart, Elevation, Vertigo, 360) where there was “blind spots” and where you could not see the screen(s). Sure some may have been “bad angles” (popmart). But no angle at all? And to block the musicians all together?

No I am sorry, and regardless of the reviews, obviously they didn’t consider all the customers/fans (and I didn’t pay a reduced price for less of a show than other fans). I will reconsider next time before spending my hard-earned money on a U2 concert that I feel was less than ideal!

P.S. I understand that most of you will have enjoyed the show and will defend this concept/design but for me (and others), you must understand that this was simply not acceptable as a design. I was left in the cold and I don’t think they care much! Seriously, didn’t they catch that some concertgoers wouldn’t see the screen and even get blocked by it? They did catch this but went ahead with this anyway!

You know that the full stop is a perfectly acceptable way to end a sentence?

The tickets you bought were pretty clearly marked 'obstructed view', and were priced accordingly. Evenko and U2 made it pretty clear.

The tickets you bought were pretty clearly marked 'obstructed view', and were priced accordingly. Evenko and U2 made it pretty clear.

Define "pretty clear" as I don't recall seing anything online when placing my order. No huge pop-up or anything. Didn’t see this in waiting room or anything.

I have the email they sent me for the confirmation of the transaction (with seats and all) and I don’t see this on the email.

Please detail me where/how they mentionned this. Screenshot?

“priced accordingly” Not really, I was hesitating , for the same price at other seats on the sides….which would have been much better. And there were cheaper seats that I am sure got to see something.

Happy you enjoyed your show. I’m just saying that this design is poor and that nobody should be left in the cold just so they can “fill every seat”. And I am not the only one mentionning this apparently (which I am finding out this morning by reading more…I was trying to save the surprise by not reading too much on the tour)

I'm not sure how you got confused by what part of what stage you were facing, for even the most generic diagrams had that part pretty clear.

Based on images I am seeing this morning on the web relating to this concert, I am right. For example, I see "red zone" at the opposite side of the rink to 107. Not sure how I could assume Red Zone was actually "away" from the main stage

Just going off uk prices,its sounds as if you brought the £90 tickets, now when youve got alot of tickets priced at £165 then surely you would have realised those tickets are the ones with the better views?

It was made quite clear from the very start the stage was going to be from front to back instead of the usual left to right. The ticket maps highlighted this from the begining.

But if your buying a ticket at more or less half the price of the next tickets up then its common sense really that your not going to have a great view.

If the staging and pricing wasnt known information from the start then i would totally agree with you,but both were known before the tickets even went on sale!

Based on images I am seeing this morning on the web relating to this concert, I am right. For example, I see "red zone" at the opposite side of the rink to 107. Not sure how I could assume Red Zone was actually "away" from the main stage

Most maps messed up the Red Zone location, had them at the end of the E stage. So I doubt they were very accurate in the first place.

Why didn't the main screen rotate? Because it was the entire length of the floor so simply would not fit if rotated

Don't ever go based on red zone. You did notice there were 2 stages based on the diagram, correct? So you knew you'd be behind one of them, correct? Which stage looked bigger according to the diagram you saw?

eJOD7RH.png

This is the right hand side of the ticket. It was also written as you purchased them, but I don't have a screenshot of that.

Pretty clear ;)

60400s_a.gif

The original location of the Red Zones were near the e stage. And as you can see here...

centre-bell-end-stage-6065.jpg

... section 107 is always end stage at concerts. Unless it's truly middle of the arena stage, the "behind the stage" section in arenas is always in the same place.

Should U2 and Live Nation have been a little more forthcoming with the stage and screen design and made it abundantly clear exactly how obstructed certain views were? Yes. I agree with that.

Could anyone figure out where the rear stage sections would be with just the bare minimum amount of research? Also yes.

Their end stage screens need improvement. I don't know how they missed that, and they really need to make that experience better as they move onto Europe.

So i have some sympathy towards those who are on either end of the screen, but not knowing where the rear stage sections were? Yea, you could have figured that out with about 10 seconds worth of research.

Yeah, I can understand if that top diagram was the one shown, BUT as it's been said, the left hand side is always behind stage. Diagrams will always read from left to right.

To be honest I kindof think that the screens are a non-event for me in GA. I wish they had screens to the rear or overhead the stage like on past tours. But I think that would've made the OP's view even worse (or non existent lol)

I'm not 100% sold on the visual aspects of this tour tbh, I think it's kindof hard to take it all in. So many competing directions to look in at any given time. But I don't really see U2 for that, I mostly focus on the band and the music.

Yeah, I can understand if that top diagram was the one shown, BUT as it's been said, the left hand side is always behind stage. Diagrams will always read from left to right.

That's true for ticketmaster I believe, but you can't guarantee every chart will read left to right

Case in point...

MolsonCentreEndStageGAFloor_all.gif

End stage is to the right... Section 107 is still behind the stage. It's the same setup, only the diagram is flipped.

If you ever have any doubt, just click on one of the other seating charts on ticketmaster and see where the end stage is setup. That will tell you where the behind the stage seats are.

All arenas are designed with one side as the intended end stage side, to make load ins and load outs easier. It's very very very rare that an act will place their main stage opposite of this default end stage location.

Valid complaint given the way they rolled out the whole thing. They did blow it somewhat making nothing known about the setup, screen, or any details really at the beginning. It was poorly marketed, and very little care given to the longtime fans.

There was no way the the giant screen could only been seen in certain areas and it would obstruct greatly the view for a good portion of the show from what the original info they gave.

I am not angry, my two shows were great, but they have really bungled the whole way they marketed the shows from the beginning.

I get it, but honestly, U2 is known for elaborate stage designs, and has been for more than 20 years. Doing a bit of research on what the stage setup looks like before pulling the trigger on a pair of tickets is pretty standard procedure for this band. Especially if they warn you on the website that certain tickets have an 'obstructed view'.

That said, I do empathize: the obstructed view seats were missing a lot of what made this show great. I ended up walking around quite a bit at the beginning to see the screen-heavy songs, and then back at my seat for the ones where it wasn't as important.

If I get stuck with crappy seats for Chi2, that's what I'll end up doing too, walking around looking for no-shows instead on the sides where you can actually see the screen. If I can't be in GA I at least want to see the screen as consolation!

I don't get the "they should have shown us the stage" attitude, how many bands show people the stage design before a show?, also from the earlier diagrams it was pretty obvious the screen was end to end pretty much

Plus if your on either end of the arena your either gonna be behind the main stage where they spend quite a lot of time or in front of the e stage where again they will spend a lot of time, so you will have a great view of them for most of the show?

I bought seats for Denver 1, which I believed were the section just near left to the stage and was excited to have a great view of the Edge all night. I paid over $300 a piece for these tickets, so when I found out the day before that the stage was actually flipped, and my view was now near the B stage, I was not happy. I bought these seats to be close to the Edge. Luckily, since this was not TM, but Altitude tickets, I called them and they quickly changed my seats back to where I originally thought I had bought them for. I even got better seats! I'm sure this is happening to a lot of people this tour, because of the way TM displayed the map. I only knew about it through people on Facebook complaining about it and then a friend texting me that it was happening for Denver. i got lucky to have heard about it beforehand, and to be dealing with Altitude Tickets, rather than TM. I feel for the original poster and everyone else that this has happened to. There is a big difference between behind the stage and behind the B stage.

But it's not the stage that has been flipped? The only thing that has been switched is the red zones, the stage is the same place it has always been?

Three things:

1. The main problem is that there was no "end stage" in the original TM pictures. Only if you investigated hard enough (i.e. looked at the SJ SAP Center layout). You would have realized that the red zones in the original pictures were by the e-stage and not by the main stage.

2. They didn't put a main stage in the origin picture. That would have helped A LOT.

3. If your tickets were at the arena ends, then they probably weren't full price, so therefore probably not the best to see everything.

The truth is no matter what diagram you were looking at, common sense would tell you section 107 wasn't optimal. If you saw the two stage diagram then you knew you were behind a stage. If you saw the long narrow stage then common sense says the action will be up and down the floor and section 107 will be looking at it from a skewed view(like watching a basketball game from behind a basket).

I don't get the "they should have shown us the stage" attitude, how many bands show people the stage design before a show?, also from the earlier diagrams it was pretty obvious the screen was end to end pretty much

Most bands would show the general stage layout ahead of time. U2 themselves have always given, at the very least, a general layout of the stage. It's not crazy for people to be upset at the lack of information that came out re: exactly how obstructed the obstructed view seats would be.

That being said... it is NOT difficult to find out which side of an arena the end stage will be set up on. It's the same side of the arena for almost every single show, for obvious logistical reasons. It's fairly simple, and very little research needed to be done to figure it out at each arena.

A simple look at the seating charts for every other concert being held at the Bell Centre has section 107 being behind the stage. Every one.

Back
Top Bottom