Travellers - Booking Accom And Flights - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Refugee
 
ChargedVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Australia
Posts: 1,770
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Travellers - Booking Accom And Flights

Those of you like myself that are traveling far to see these shows, are you already in the process of finding flights and accommodation?
If a show is 10-11 months away surely there needn't be a huge rush to make sure everything is finalised immediately? Cheers!
__________________

ChargedVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,637
Local Time: 03:08 PM
Best time to purchase flights is normally about 50 or so days out. Even if you don't want to wait that long, booking at 11 months will surely get you a higher rate.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
Refugee
 
youarenotimmune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 1,792
Local Time: 12:08 AM
I'll be traveling from the east coast all the way to LA, but I'm not going to book my flight yet. Probably a couple of months before the show, which would be around the end of March.
youarenotimmune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #4
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 09:08 PM
Best advice I can give ya, keep an eye on the prices. Right now they are probably higher as the tour tickets are about to go on sale. Hotels often take advantage on this.. then after a while the novelty and demand decrease and the prices will go down again to normal levels.. then a couple months before the show it'll increase again until they go ridiculous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,637
Local Time: 03:08 PM
hotel and plane ticket prices aren't spiking over a couple of U2 concerts, unless it's in a smaller market. so maybe a small bump in, say, Phoenix, but it's certainly not having any effect on New York, LA, Chicago.

airfare will stay pretty steady, and more expensive than they should be, for any date that's months out. they will start to decrease as we get closer, bottoming out on average about 2-3 months prior to the date of flight, before slowly spiking up again. if for whatever reason the flights aren't selling you will usually see a sharp drop in cost for "last second" bookers.

hotels are fairly similar, with a little less fluctuation up and down.

things that will have an affect on the normal ups and downs of ticket and/or hotel prices...
--spike in oil prices
--large conventions the same week of travel
--college graduation weekends (think May)

generally your major hubs (where airlines are based, not necessarily dependent on city size) will see cheaper airfare... so it's sometimes cheaper to buy two transfer through one of these hubs (say, atlanta or minneapolis), especially when coming from a smaller region as opposed to another large hub.

cheaper to fly on "off" days. example... if your show is friday night, cheaper to fly thursday than to fly in friday morning. if show is Saturday, cheaper to fly in saturday morning than friday evening, etc. etc.

best site to track flights is Kayak. you can set up price alerts every time there's a major change in your route's prices.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
War Child
 
Martinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 519
Local Time: 08:08 PM
I just have a 3 hour train ride from Gothenburg to Stockholm and then i will stay in my neighbours flat that i can borrow, saves me alot of money doing that. Hotels in Stockholm is very expensive. The first show is on a wednesday as well, so i will travel there on tuesday. Probably will have to take that whole week off from work. Even more so if more shows are added.
Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
Refugee
 
ChargedVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Australia
Posts: 1,770
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Flights from Australia to London return can be up to $3000 depending on the airline, so yeah I will definitely keep an eye on specials! Same with motel rooms. Cheers for the input Just didn't want to stress at this early point.
ChargedVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 268
Local Time: 03:08 PM
We used to tour for other bands, a lot. Which meant trying to find ways to save on travel. FWIW, if you have the means/desire/ability, and depending on your location, one of the best tricks we used was this:
Wait until Southwest Visa doubled its bonus points for credit card signup - they should be running a promotion again sometime soon. This equalled 50,000 southwest points. You have to monitor a deal site like slickdeals who will alert you to the sale. When this occurred, we would both open a credit card to a total of 100,000 points. This is equivalent to 4 free cross-country round trip tickets or even more same-side-for-the-country tickets. When all was said and done, we would then close the accounts. There is a yearly fee though, but it is less than the cost of a single, short flight.
It's not a solution for everyone obviously, but it has always worked well for us.
Boglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,637
Local Time: 03:08 PM
travel hacking rules
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,903
Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
We used to tour for other bands, a lot. Which meant trying to find ways to save on travel. FWIW, if you have the means/desire/ability, and depending on your location, one of the best tricks we used was this:
Wait until Southwest Visa doubled its bonus points for credit card signup - they should be running a promotion again sometime soon. This equalled 50,000 southwest points. You have to monitor a deal site like slickdeals who will alert you to the sale. When this occurred, we would both open a credit card to a total of 100,000 points. This is equivalent to 4 free cross-country round trip tickets or even more same-side-for-the-country tickets. When all was said and done, we would then close the accounts. There is a yearly fee though, but it is less than the cost of a single, short flight.
It's not a solution for everyone obviously, but it has always worked well for us.
AA, United, US Airways also offer those promotions and there are a few websites devoted to maximizing FF miles (thepointsguy.com, millionmilesecrets.com, flyertalk forum). Southwest has a good benefit of a companion pass after a certain number of points.

The annual fee is often waived the first year. There is a minimum spend requirements for the first three months, but there are well documented ways around that such as buying visa gift cards and then money orders.
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 268
Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
AA, United, US Airways also offer those promotions and there are a few websites devoted to maximizing FF miles (thepointsguy.com, millionmilesecrets.com, flyertalk forum). Southwest has a good benefit of a companion pass after a certain number of points.

The annual fee is often waived the first year. There is a minimum spend requirements for the first three months, but there are well documented ways around that such as buying visa gift cards and then money orders.
Yes, this is all great advice! The best plan is to pick the airline/card that either hubs at your nearest airport or that has direct flights to your destination, if you are not in a major airport market. We did try United once to get a free cross-country trip, and while it worked easily, the flights were much more limited, as they only opened seats on selected flights for miles redemption. We like SW because points can be used on any available flight.
Boglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pop Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 5,235
Local Time: 03:08 PM
Check the events calendar of your city of choice to make sure there are no other big doings during that time. For example I believe people have said that the Montreal Grand Prix is at the same time as the shows there. In that case I would definitely book backup accomodations now you can live with that are cancellable (probably a good idea for any N. American date anyway because Bono), that way you can adjust things later. Your method of getting there is not so urgently booked, unless you are using frequent flyer miles - in which case you should probably book now.

I am using frequent flyer miles myself for Vancouver and booked that yesterday. I also booked my hotel already because I already knew of one - that is probably the closest one to the venue to boot - that doesn't hike rates and that is cheap, clean, and cancellable with no deposit.
Pop Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,903
Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
Yes, this is all great advice! The best plan is to pick the airline/card that either hubs at your nearest airport or that has direct flights to your destination, if you are not in a major airport market. We did try United once to get a free cross-country trip, and while it worked easily, the flights were much more limited, as they only opened seats on selected flights for miles redemption. We like SW because points can be used on any available flight.
Yeah, SW scales their awards up and down based on the fare (going to FL on them next week for only 9K points RT). Chase has two great cards - Ink Plus and Sapphire Preferred with bonus points that can be transferred to SW, United, and a few more. I think Chase Ink Plus still has the 70K bonus for in-branch applications.
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Refugee
 
nbelcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,571
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Artist View Post
I am using frequent flyer miles myself for Vancouver and booked that yesterday. I also booked my hotel already because I already knew of one - that is probably the closest one to the venue to boot - that doesn't hike rates and that is cheap, clean, and cancellable with no deposit.

And which hotel would that be?



Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
nbelcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pop Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 5,235
Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
And which hotel would that be?



Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Mentioned this under the Vancouver show topic but YWCA Hotel - YWCA Hotel - Vancouver’s Best Choice for Comfort and Affordability Not luxury but very well maintained, very reasonable! Excellent TripAdvisor reviews too. Stayed there for 360 (BC Place is literally across the street) and was quite satisfied.
__________________

Pop Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com