Thoughts after watching opening night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my god! That's really scary. Where the heck was his security and why didn't they give him a little tap as he was getting sloooooowly closer? He was obviously off in Edgeland, and it doesn't look like there was ANY one there.

Was that a security guy RIGHT NEXT TO HIM who just looked at him on the floor and did nothing? :down:

With Periscope I'll probably be seeing a LOT of U2. A few of us had some fun laughing at the low moments in another thread. Makes "setlist" parties more "show" parties now, and more fun. But counter to that, it's a bit fucked that so many people have their phones out. I absolutely detest that at gigs. I can't believe how many videos there already are.

Excited to see if things change up tomorrow. Hopefully Bono can remember more than 50 per cent of his own lyrics and the band tightens up.

I don't know what you were hearing or what are you thinking (those who aren't here) but this was the BEST opening show I've heard them.

The screen is great and the stage amazing.
The first 4 songs felt like I was in a rock club.
I've never seen them with such a purpose, especially Bono. He was on fire tonight. larry superb. Adam solid and Edge amazing (but he looked pissed the whole show)- They were ready for a fight, everything well rehearsed.

The only real fuck up was Adam in COBL.
For Streets, Bono was reading the lyrics, but they were like new ones. It's not like he "forgot" the lyrics.

BD, yeah, it felt like too much, but this is the first time in a LONG time that I've enjoyed Pride.
Desire was great, The Sweetest Thing too.
I hope they play California tomorrow.

It really was an amazing concert. You have to see it to believe it.

The show was excellent to say the least. Anybody that complains needs to get a grip

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Cool to hear from people who were actually at the show.

Also, thank you chrisedge for your updates.

With Periscope I'll probably be seeing a LOT of U2. A few of us had some fun laughing at the low moments in another thread. Makes "setlist" parties more "show" parties now, and more fun. But counter to that, it's a bit fucked that so many people have their phones out. I absolutely detest that at gigs. I can't believe how many videos there already are.

Excited to see if things change up tomorrow. Hopefully Bono can remember more than 50 per cent of his own lyrics and the band tightens up.

this

Am more concerned by the fact that some went to the show and their phones at right the way through, would piss me right off being stuck next to someone like that

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Obviously my opinion isn't really warranted seeing I didn't attend the show and didn't experience the flow of the songs. However on paper it seems as if the second half after the intermission looks like a better first half (if that makes sense). Invisible, EBTTRT, MW, Desire & Sweetest Thing is a solid opening. SBS and SFS don't fit that early in the set, if at all really. The videos of those songs on Youtube will prove this point...the crowd was dead. COBL is a really disappointing song to open the encore with and might I say, lazy. This is a perfect moment to shock the crowd and play a rarity, yet they play a song that has been recycled to death since 2005. I have faith they will sort things out.

Obviously my opinion isn't really warranted seeing I didn't attend the show and didn't experience the flow of the songs. However on paper it seems as if the second half after the intermission looks like a better first half (if that makes sense). Invisible, EBTTRT, MW, Desire & Sweetest Thing is a solid opening. SBS and SFS don't fit that early in the set, if at all really. The videos of those songs on Youtube will prove this point...the crowd was dead. COBL is a really disappointing song to open the encore with and might I say, lazy. This is a perfect moment to shock the crowd and play a rarity, yet they play a song that has been recycled to death since 2005. I have faith they will sort things out.

But yet people at the gig said it was amazing? I always feel it's hard to judge if a crowd is dead or not from a dark YouTube clip that mainly focuses on the band anyway

yeah I mean I'm thankful for it but I'd be infuriated if I was next to that person at my gig.

I am guilty of taking the odd pic and short video but not one for standing with it out constantly

At Wembley 360, the woman in front of me with her bloke bought every t-shirt, item of merchandise there was and sat through the entire gig filming it on her phone.

I don't think she looked up at the stage once and didn't get off her seat etc. :huh:

Am more concerned by the fact that some went to the show and their phones at right the way through, would piss me right off being stuck next to someone like that
Agreed. I filmed all of EBW and half of the Miracle and took a grand total of four pictures. That was it. Phone went in my pocket the rest of the night. These people who pay hundreds to see a band only to watch the show on their iphone screens need a slap haha.

Interested to know how Invisible sounded. Did it kick some ass like it should have?

Invisible was odd because it started playing and you couldn't see the band but it sounded so fucking good that I thought it was the album version at first. It was kinda weird because I don't think most people realized the band was playing it because you couldn't see them in the begining. It sounded great but perhaps maybe a bit too much playback on that song.

In all honesty I didn't see COBL coming at that point BUT it was a great way to open that encore. I think everyone was expecting One and when COBL started I think people were surprised in a good way.
I can't say I'm a fan of the Sunday Bloody Sunday arrangement. It kinda fell flat in my opinion.

I do have to laugh at your people who watched in a live stream complaining about the show. It was fucking amazing tonight. It was the first night so hiccups are to be expected but it was incredible. It was EASILY the best sounding arena show I have ever been to. the stage design was awesome. The massive screen is a bit distracting in the begining but you get sued to it quickly and learn when to watch it and when to watch the band.

I really hope they play California and Volcano Friday night though.

Loooong wait and many changes to come before I see them in November

argh me too - i think it's going to be a long few months hehe

the piccies look stunning, but i'm going to try to hold out and avoid videos/audio clips...

note to self: "good luck with that"

I wasn't there so I can't give many thoughts on the performances, although it seemed in general that the new material was more exciting than the old stuff. Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights in particular seem a bit, I don't know tired, but Raised by Wolves and Every Breaking Wave seem powerful and emotional. Overall I like the set, but the second half seems to be too much greatest hits at the moment, maybe particularly because not all of those performances were on par (Pride however seemed awfully fresh, is this just me?)

But, I have one major worry, let's call it that:

The 'inside the screen' stuff is visually cool but it's really a gimmick and it doesn't bring them any closer to the audience. Sure it looks very cool and it works for stuff like Cedarwood Road but it seemed to take too much of the show and I have a fear that it will make everything a bit more choreographed than it already is.

I personally hope they don't drop to many of these songs before they get to Europe, I am still yet to see ebttrt, uteotw, desire and sweetest thing love so would be gutted if don't get to see them

My opinion after seeing videos and also comments from people that went to the show is that the first set really worked. The Miracle is obviously not a good opener, but even though the set was cohesive, well rehearsed, powerful. What a difference between NLOTH songs live debut, and SOI's!

The encore is awful, that's the part of the show that I really don't like at all. Streets must come a lot earlier, and not with the concert ending. ISHFWILF is not a closer (and looking to the rest of the concert, I don't think it fits anymore), and BDay and City of Blinding Lights are lacking power. A decent encore could be a song like Ultraviolet (Acrobat? Please?), One and Troubles.

The 2nd set was OK, but the band needs to improve their performance.
From the audio I listened to, the new sound setup really looks impressive. Not too loud, and VERY clear.

My opinion after seeing videos and also comments from people that went to the show is that the first set really worked. The Miracle is obviously not a good opener, but even though the set was cohesive, well rehearsed, powerful. What a difference between NLOTH songs live debut, and SOI's!

The encore is awful, that's the part of the show that I really don't like at all. Streets must come a lot earlier, and not with the concert ending. ISHFWILF is not a closer (and looking to the rest of the concert, I don't think it fits anymore), and BDay and City of Blinding Lights are lacking power. A decent encore could be a song like Ultraviolet (Acrobat? Please?), One and Troubles.

From the audio I listened to, the new sound setup really looks impressive. Not too loud, and VERY clear.

Miracle would take off a lot more as an opener if they didn't tune down a step, the song doesn't lift the way the studio version does in the lower key.

Was there any Bono speeches this show? Introducing the band etc?

But yet people at the gig said it was amazing? I always feel it's hard to judge if a crowd is dead or not from a dark YouTube clip that mainly focuses on the band anyway

True. COBL will always be a fan favourite. And as I said my theory is questionable seeing I didn't attend. However if we knew in advance what the encore was going to be I can guarantee it would have divided many fans.

Bullet was dropped for 360 so I don't see why a song like COBL can't be dropped for this tour. Put it this way...if Bad was played instead there wouldn't be an issue :wink:

Edge stuffed up during Out of Control. Apart from that, most of the performances were pretty decent for an opening night. In saying that, I would like to see them mix the setlist up a bit more, shelve songs like COBL, WOWY, Pride, ISHF etc. Theses songs just seem a bit tired now and do not evoke the same response from the audience the way that they once did.

The crowd didn't help the band out as well imo. You don't go to a rock concert and take photos and videos all day. I feel this band in particular rides off the energy that comes from the crowd, and there was literally not much of that, even during the first four songs which were hard rockers.

ISHFWILF seems a really weird chose to close the show, even moreso when they seem to have a song tailor-made to be a closer in The Troubles.

The Miracle worked as an opener but it wasn't a fantastic opener. WAY better than Breathe was though.

the encore was not awful. It was a nice change not to hear One and I honestly think Troubles would be a bad choice for the last encore. It was cool live but I caught myself thinking thank god this isn't the closer. I agree it would be nice to have Ultra Violet in the encore. Also I think Iris would work really well in the encore too. That song was so great live. I disagree though about Streets needing to be earlier in the set. I thought it was awesome having it played that close to the end.

The sound was off the charts amazing. Easily the best sounding arena show I've ever heard. As for the second set the way it started was great and the last encore with BD and Streets I thought was pretty damn good although I agree with almost everyone else ISHFWILF shouldn't close the shows. That's a good song to have earlier in the night if they do infact "need" to have it in the set.

lights going down... A single spotlight on edge playing troubles' extended solo... And then... The end.

no

ISHFWILF seems a really weird chose to close the show, even moreso when they seem to have a song tailor-made to be a closer in The Troubles.

After hearing the Troubles live and in person I'm convinced it would be an awful way to end the shows. It sounded great but to end the shows? God no.

I might be in the minority but I can't stand that version of EBTTRT and Mysterious Ways is lacking live w/o the slide solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ZHkOmDJbs

I feel like the songs that open the second set are hampered by the fact larry is playing a standing kit. The lack of kick drum makes the songs lose a lot of oomph and everything just sounds a little 'tinny'. I'm really at odds with this show, because I love a lot of what their going for but some of the small things, like the key Miracle is in, larry's drums, Bono phoning in the first 3/4 of Real Thing.. band just seems a bit tired in spots, hope they get their road legs under them soon.

The crowd didn't help the band out as well imo. You don't go to a rock concert and take photos and videos all day. I feel this band in particular rides off the energy that comes from the crowd, and there was literally not much of that, even during the first four songs which were hard rockers.

Case in point. Why isn't EVERYONE going mad, jumping up & down AS ONE to this, their most transcendent song? :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0BafRf8WNg

Back
Top Bottom