The old, lazy, wealthy man's tour - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:18 AM
The old, lazy, wealthy man's tour

Saturday night and I am bored, so:

I am ready to be crucified for this, but doesn't it just seem like this tour is being set up to really just be as efficient and easy for the band as possible, and less about the fans?

North America Leg One: 34 shows - 9 cities (so far...)
Europe Leg Two: 33 shows - 10 cities (so far...)

New York City now has (8) eight shows booked. Eight. Miami? Zero. Dallas? Zero. Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington DC? Zero. Actually, in the US, the only city they are playing between New York and Los Angeles is, well, Chicago.

How much of a 'tour' is then actually? They have been much more expansive in the past, but this smells like something different all together.

Bono was just quoted in Rolling Stone that he is trying to get ready because they are bringing something 'incredible' on the road. I sure hope so.

They have said they were going to 'alternate' set lists. OK, sounds great - if they did two shows per city. With eight in NYC, are they going to alternate four times? I just cannot see the band pulling a Pearl Jam and crafting different set lists for each night. I sure hope I am wrong, because if I am they will dig out a ton of old tunes (perhaps all of them...)

I think they proved a valuable rich-man model on the last tour. Try to sleep in the same bed for as many nights as possible - they would play a US city and quickly fly back to NY to crash. Rather than stay in smaller cities, also because most of them have homes in NYC. Does that make sense when you have your own plane, yes, but 9 cities total? It just seems odd. Why make your fans travel to you rather than the other way around?

Somehow I see a converse correlation to them loading their latest album on everyone's iOS device. Make sure everyone has their music, but then only play a handful of places. Just odd. Maybe, just lazy.

And I live in NYC...

To me, they again have something to prove.

Any thoughts?

ouizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:18 AM
The old, lazy, wealthy man's tour

I really hate this tour schedule. Instead of scheduling a 5th show in Chicago that won't sell out , why not instead add a show in Detroit or Cleveland or something?

The arena tour Madonna just announced if probably closer to what U2 should've done, with obvious gaps in her schedule for additional shows to be added in most cities. More cities, same amount of shows.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:18 AM
Another band that I follow had a band member that suggested they might follow the 'fewer cities' model of touring in the future, and one of the reasons he hinted at was because of their age. I suppose the traveling aspect is going to happen either way, but they kind of hinted that the travel involved can be a grind overall. Plus, with another band member who had went through some health issues on the most recent tours, I suppose it would make sense in giving them a 'base' of sorts in the event of things going wrong or wanting to recover.

I can't make too much of an opinion without knowing what it's like to tour, but I get it to an extent. Some artists aren't even doing a straight out tour any more and just doing shows spread out over a period of time. Paul McCartney is the type that only does a few shows here and there, so he's never consistently on the road so to speak. But he's over 70 now and that sort of fits his m.o. for being able to still perform. I imagine this case isn't too different. Weezer does something similar and that's only because they want to spend more time with their families (from what I remember them saying anyway).

Maybe some fans have to travel more as a result, but isn't that the case for every tour? If you live in Omaha and the closest show is in Chicago or Minneapolis, you're still going to have to travel, you know? Of course it's going to be more convenient if they play in your back yard or in the tri-state area at least. But if I'm a close follower of a band and really want to see them, odds are I'm going to look into traveling anyway...
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

This tour is definitely about making it convenient for the band.
Its 2 steps away from a Britney Spears Vegas residency.
I'm glad Boston has always supported the band well so we got included, I'd be upset if I lived in Philly or DC or Miami or Dallas or a lot of places.
Will be interesting to see what 2016 brings, but they don't look much like a band of the people these days.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
The Male

Local Time: 12:18 AM
It's a terrible schedule, but I'm just grateful to be living in a huge market so I can see the band.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:43 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

The entire southeast U.S. was left out. Hopefully, they will return in 2016 with some shows other than Chicago, New York, Boston, and the west coast.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:59 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:18 AM
At this point and considering Bono's injury I'm just glad they're touring at all. The current model is certainly convenient for the band and I cannot blame them.

I remember a time when this forum was all about loving the residency idea, and that was long before the actual tour dates were announced. I have mixed feelings about it, but mainly because it's so hard to get tickets for arena shows. I'm used to traveling to concerts because the acts I want to see live hardly ever play in my city ore area. I don't mind getting abroad for some shows, but fighting for the tickets isn't fun. While I prefer smaller settings, I'm still hoping for a stadium tour in 2016.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:15 AM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 02:18 AM
I'm pretty sure they are going to go to others cities and countries. I'm kinda surprised nobody is talking about how many legs there are going to be.
Cancer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:18 PM
Did Bono lose a leg in the recent accident? Will he have extra, mechanical legs, now?
Kieran McConville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 09:18 AM
To say that it's a great tour schedule, it isn't. However, I am sure more of the US cities will be covered on 2016 leg of the tour. To me it doesn't make a difference...I'd travel to see them. Did it on 360 tour and doing it again this fall, because they never are in the city where I live, so used to it by now.
BGD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Acrobat

At this point I would not be surprised, especially given the more drawn out 360 touring of 2009-2010 (prior to 'the back' incident), if 2016 is just pretty much the rest of the world done this style and not some second US/CA leg, well short of a few dates. Unless they ditch this theme aspect in the midterm.
patternshirt170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
War Child

Like U2 is the only band that does this? Someone is allways gonna miss out somewhere when a band / artist tours. Here in Sweden people all the time complain when some act plays in Gothenburg instead of Stockholm and vice versa. It's like a 3 hour train ride.. People also complained on Live Nation's facebook page about the venue, why not choose Friends Arena (50k seater stadium that is complete rubbish when it comes to concert sound) or Tele2 Arena(30k stadium) instead of Globen.

I am just hyped that they are gonna go out on a tour again.
Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
War Child

can't say I blame them for doing this...if you can get people to travel to you rather than other way round then why not.

Although it drifted over 3 calendar years I thought 360 was a great model for them...they did 110 shows on 3 years...not the most arduous touring schedule ever (in comparison to previous tours)

Given that most foreign acts view London as all of the UK I'm used to travelling to see bands.

This tour works fine for me as for once Europe gets arenas and it's a chance to visit some new places
djparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by djparky View Post
can't say I blame them for doing this...if you can get people to travel to you rather than other way round then why not.

Although it drifted over 3 calendar years I thought 360 was a great model for them...they did 110 shows on 3 years...not the most arduous touring schedule ever (in comparison to previous tours)

Given that most foreign acts view London as all of the UK I'm used to travelling to see bands.

This tour works fine for me as for once Europe gets arenas and it's a chance to visit some new places
I am also excited about this arena thing. Never gotten the chance to see U2 in an arena setting before. Last time they did it in Europe was in 2001.

I allways catch a stadium concert in Gothenburg each summer (This year it is Foo Fighters and Metallica) but i usually prefer the smaller setting if available as you get closer to the band etc. I've seen bands like Biffy Clyro, In Flames etc at places that holds like 400-500 and thats awesome. Even if you get front rail at a stadium concert the stage is usually too big and tall so you dont see much anyway.

Prefer to be in the middle of the "golden circle" at stadiums and closer in arenas.
Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

It's more the "dude, we're getting too old for this shit" world tour than the lazy man's world tour, me thinks.

They have physical issues, and that's not even including what Bono just went through. Back problems don't magically disappear because you're rich. I imagine this is how most of their touring will go, especially when they do arenas.

If/when they play stadiums they can play a few more locations because there will be fewer shows and more time between gigs to recover.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote