The entire South of the US were shafted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anticipation33

Babyface
I just don't why they didn't book 1 show in the entire Southern US despite coming to North America. Living in Florida the closet show is NYC to the North or Phoenix to the west. This is ridiculous. Its a travesty to not have at least one show in Miami or Atlanta.

I agree I'm in Florida as well and I am shocked they did not choose Miami. It's ok though because I'm going to NY and luckily Amtrak goes right into penn station/ msg. I avoid planes if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Miami is the only city where I can see a U2 show, as I have family over there (and it's just a 2-hour flight from where I am). While I would love to see a U2 arena show, I'm hoping they include Miami in the stadium leg, as I know it would be impossible to get tickets for a show at the AmericanAirlines Arena.

I would expect that at least one of Dallas and Houston, and at least one of Atlanta and Miami, will get a show next year. Possibly three or four out of four. Each could support a stadium show or at least two arena shows.

Tampa, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Austin/San Antonio (and I suppose OKC too, or Mrs. Garrison will kill me) would all be viable markets on a normal tour, but this seems to not be a normal tour.

Winning the Civil War still has its privileges, apparently.

Yeah...Anyway, I read the bike injury delayed the start of the tour which probably lead to places like Atlanta, Denver and Miami being left out.

I hope/expect they come to Dallas in 2016. Not that I mind going to see my brother in San Jose, but I probably can't afford to do it twice in a row.

There's plenty of space between shows. They may just add dates at a later time once they sell out the currently listed concert dates.

There's plenty of space between shows. They may just add dates at a later time once they sell out the currently listed concert dates.

If dates are added, I expect them to be extra dates in cities that already have shows. In particular, there's space for more shows in Chicago and Boston after the current shows, and Toronto before them. Two arena shows in each of those cities means that about 20% as many tickets can be sold in each as were sold in 2009.

I agree, but it seems that only the biggest markets are done for this first part of the tour.

Moreover, what do you think about all those European countries that are skipped? (Poland, Denmark, Switzerlnd, Greece, Russia ,, etc....). Considering the fact that Europe has 2,5 times more inhabitants than the US, Europe is underplayed compared to US...

If dates are added, I expect them to be extra dates in cities that already have shows. In particular, there's space for more shows in Chicago and Boston after the current shows, and Toronto before them. Two arena shows in each of those cities means that about 20% as many tickets can be sold in each as were sold in 2009.

they will never meet demand by doing arenas.

case in point... 3 shows at 90,000 sold out in the NYC area on 360. If they would have added a 4th, it likely would have sold out as well.

270,000 tickets were sold over 3 nights (2 on the first leg, 1 on the second leg).

MSG holds approximately 20,000 for concerts. Currently, with 4 shows, that's 80,000 tickets sold, or 10,000 less than one show at MetLife Stadium would allow. If they go to 8, approx. 160,000 tickets, it's 20,000 less than 2 shows at MetLife.

Everyone always talks about their love for arena shows over stadium shows, but stadium shows allow for more fans to see the band. And the sound on 360 was phenomenal.

I only noticed this because I wanted to be able to get to a show with my parents who live in the south. For the 360 thingee we went to Raleigh and I was thinking that at least they would hit up Charlotte...

I am sure they will come back on a third leg with a huge list of cities for 2016... I saw somewhere on this forum that a guy presumed they would be touring through 2017. I agree with this assessment as this crappy slate of cities only on weekends is not what we generally see from U2. I am heading to Boston for the two shows with my brother and wife, fiance, et al... but going to no more this leg. Let's hope that they come back the following year and hit up more of the country. Especially if they are doing arena tours. God.. they could go to 5 cities in every state and sell that shit out.

Sincerely,
Team take Sunday Bloody Sunday out of the setlist unless it's a solo by the edge.

I agree, but it seems that only the biggest markets are done for this first part of the tour.

Moreover, what do you think about all those European countries that are skipped? (Poland, Denmark, Switzerlnd, Greece, Russia ,, etc....). Considering the fact that Europe has 2,5 times more inhabitants than the US, Europe is underplayed compared to US...

While this isn't true for Western Europe, I think it's logistically more difficult to play in countries like Russia or Greece due to their relative lack of infrastructure (and, right now, relative lack of an economy) compared to Western Europe and the US. While distances are vast in the US, the interstate highways are good through all 50 states and make getting around a relative breeze if you have massive tour trucks lugging equipment.

I suppose they might also think that if you are playing Stockholm, it's not too difficult for someone from Copenhagen to get there, due to the smaller distances in Europe and the generally superb transportation options available. I think they look at Europe in the way that they look at the US -- not that they have to play a certain number of specific countries but that they have to play regions or geographic areas, which might mean that Stockholm has to serve all of Scandinavia, similar to how Chicago basically has to seve the Midwest (and people there have to deal with much, much greater distances).

Still, I do hope they add more dates and locations now and in 2016. Arena shows are great, if you can get in (and not sit in the rafters where the sound turns to mush).

Sent from

I would expect that at least one of Dallas and Houston, and at least one of Atlanta and Miami, will get a show next year. Possibly three or four out of four. Each could support a stadium show or at least two arena shows.

Tampa, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Austin/San Antonio (and I suppose OKC too, or Mrs. Garrison will kill me) would all be viable markets on a normal tour, but this seems to not be a normal tour.

:wave:

Dallas would be fine with me, or anywhere in Texas for that matter. I don't care if they play OKC nor would i really expect them to. I could see going to Nashville again but thats probably as far as i would go.

Everyone always talks about their love for arena shows over stadium shows, but stadium shows allow for more fans to see the band. And the sound on 360 was phenomenal.

I went to 3 separate 360 shows in 3 different states (FL, MI, and PA) and all three shows were fabulous. The sound quality was kick ass. They are the biggest band in the world. They might as well just DO stadiums. :rockon:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Am I the only one who loves the relative intimacy of arenas? Even with fewer tickets available, I've always managed to get what I want, with luck and the help of other fans.

Am I the only one who loves the relative intimacy of arenas? Even with fewer tickets available, I've always managed to get what I want, with luck and the help of other fans.

I love arenas. This is a club tour for a band that has already locked in their rock & roll immortality. I like stadiums too, but this is unique. Beyond special really.

I love arenas. This is a club tour for a band that has already locked in their rock & roll immortality. I like stadiums too, but this is unique. Beyond special really.

Yeah. I find myself drawn to smaller and smaller shows - outside of U2, that is. With them, I take whatever I can get, but my preference is arenas.

Saw Chrissie Hynde in a 2,500 seat theatre a month ago. My favourite venue in the world. U2 played there on the War tour. :)

(Massey Hall, for you Toronto peeps.)

If any of you were actually sitting in the 300s for a stadium show, then I'd take the "lack of intimacy" line a little better.

No, I honestly do find stadiums to be a lot more impersonal. My enjoyment of the Vertigo tour vs. my enjoyment of the 360 tour was worlds apart. In fact, i had it in the back of my mind that I would only go to one show, until I found out this this year was arenas.

Except for a handful of favourite big acts, I'd much rather see smaller acts in a theatre or club.

I typically end up close to the front row, if not actually right on it. And I feel that the sound front row arena is way better than the sound front row stadium. I understand why and everything, but that's just the way it is. I also find it harder to see Larry in the stadium, from that vantage point.

I think stadiums are cool for the grand spectacle of it all, but arenas allow a greater connection to the band, imo.

Sent from my ass crack

I typically end up close to the front row, if not actually right on it. And I feel that the sound front row arena is way better than the sound front row stadium. I understand why and everything, but that's just the way it is. I also find it harder to see Larry in the stadium, from that vantage point.

I think stadiums are cool for the grand spectacle of it all, but arenas allow a greater connection to the band, imo.

Sent from my ass crack
Exactly. I felt a huge disconnect for 360, even being on the rail, that I did not feel for Vertigo.

In fact, I wish all you people would start hating them, and I could see them at Massey Hall. ;)

I prefer stadiums because then I have a far better chance of, you know, seeing U2. When U2 have to play 73739592947388373738 New York shows, they have less time to visit the third world redneck backwater that is the Confederate States of America.

Nobody should be surprised that the US South got shafted. Just have a look at relative attendance. It is and always has been a much weaker market for U2.

A far more legitimate complaint could be made for a number of European countries with no or few gigs. Portugal, Denmark, Poland, Switzerland, and Austria are all examples of good markets. Then there's Italy, which does have gigs next year but has been underplayed on every U2 tour ever. They could spend a month in Italy and sell out every night.

Back
Top Bottom