Stage Layout in Different Arenas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popmars

The Fly
To make a long story short, I had tickets to San Jose 1 and now can't go. Looking to get tickets to Chicago 3...probably have to go the Stub Hub route.

All that to say this, now that the stage design is out there - do we have any idea which side of the arena the i stage is on and which side the e stage is on? A ticket in the corner by the e stage seems like it would be a significant upgrade over a ticket in the corner behind the i stage.

Any clues as to how they will be laid out in any given arena?

Not positive, but I'd expect that the side that was originally marked with RZ's on the original TM & San Jose maps would be near the 'e'.

Another way to tell would be ticket prices. For San Jose, behind the 'I' had more sections with mid-priced tickets (4 sections), while there was only 2 sections near the 'e' that are mid-priced (the other 2 sections being top-price tickets).

If you're not looking at full priced tickets I think those mid-priced tickets in the 2 sections adjacent to the 'e' stage could be a good bet. Just be aware that they are quite front on, so may not have great views of the screen over the catwalk. If you have a chance you may want to aim for seats in these sections that are closer to the corners than front on, though you'll be a litte further from the 'e' in this case.

Interesting. I would've thought the original RZ locations would've been closer to the main stage. Looking at ticket prices, they seem to be the roughly the same for the two ends.

It's a tough call. One side would be a pretty decent seat, the other behind the stage.

The RZ was at the "I" stage. The I is square, the "e" round. As you see in the pics, there is no extra space around the "I".

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As far as seated tickets go, it's kind of a win/win with either one you choose. If you get the ones that are behind the main stage, you'll be closer to more of the action throughout the show. If you get the ones near the "E" stage, you'll have a direct view of the main stage from far away and be closer to the action at the "E" stage. Either way has its benefits.

Personally, I'm just stoked. Last time I had nosebleeds, I could see all the action just fine and honestly enjoyed the shows overall (the performances, setlists) more than I had in GA/lower seats at the previous pairing. Arena shows are just so much better to get close to the band, no matter where you are.

The RZ was at the "I" stage. The I is square, the "e" round. As you see in the pics, there is no extra space around the "I".

Yeah, but the pictures we've seen so far seem to indicate the RZs will be along the sides. To me, the RZ would make more sense towards the I stage.

The good news is I'll know in two weeks and hopefully by then we'll know for sure. I've also seen where some tickets are listed as obstructed view but they are on both ends! So confusing!

Interesting. I would've thought the original RZ locations would've been closer to the main stage. Looking at ticket prices, they seem to be the roughly the same for the two ends.

It's a tough call. One side would be a pretty decent seat, the other behind the stage.
Nah, last tour the RZ's weren't near the main stage, & looking at the San Jose map, they weren't planned to be close to the main stage this tour either. San Jose show's them near the b-stage (now e-stage). There's a chance that they may now have decided to move the RZ's, but I'd guess seats that were originally near the RZ's would still be near the e-stage.
U2-Seating-Chart.jpg

As I said, if you are looking for mid-priced tickets I'd aim for sections that correspond to section 109 (the closer to 110 the better), or section 107 (the closer to 106 the better), on the San Jose map

Yeah, seems like they could be facing 109/107 the entire time...they should really be facing the other way for some of the "e" stage part of the show or else they're basically putting their backs to the same half of the arena the entire time.

Really? Now I'm totally confused. After seeing the San Jose map I'd assumed that RZ would be near the e-stage for each arena. Now I don't know what's happening :doh:

But as BigMacPhisto says, it will be good either way. For 360 I would have chosen behind the stage tickets, over seats at the other end. But those rear seats were generally cheaper, & much closer to most of the action. This time there's not much difference in price, & I get the feeling that they'll spend quite some time on the e-stage, as it looks a pretty decent size.

Nah, last tour the RZ's weren't near the main stage, & looking at the San Jose map, they weren't planned to be close to the main stage this tour either. San Jose show's them near the b-stage (now e-stage). There's a chance that they may now have decided to move the RZ's, but I'd guess seats that were originally near the RZ's would still be near the e-stage.
U2-Seating-Chart.jpg

As I said, if you are looking for mid-priced tickets I'd aim for sections that correspond to section 109 (the closer to 110 the better), or section 107 (the closer to 106 the better), on the San Jose map

How have I not seen this map?! I even had San Jose tickets! Ok, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help.

Haha, no worries. It's been doing the rounds for quite some time. Funny you had San Jose tickets!

I had my money on this set up months ago, as it's so much more detailed than the TM map (with GA densities, audio & video booths in the stands, & lines indicating the wires for the screen over the catwalk).

U2-Seating-Chart.jpg

The squared off area near the "e" stage actually says "No Patrons.". There is no Red Zone listed on the map... which makes the " we were misled!!" whining even more hilarious.

Nope. It says "50 Patrons @ 5 SQ FT. EA", so it's reasonable to think that is/was RZ.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it says "50 PATRONS" too, & was where RZ was initially planned to be (& may still be planned). I'm not so sure it is says it says "@5 SQ FT. EA." though. It certainly looks like 5 SQ FT. But GA densities are given as either 5 SQ FT. EA, or 7 SQ FT. The SQ FT should be higher than this in RZ, as each RZ patron will have more room than the GA patrons. I'm thinking that for RZ maybe it says 8 or 9 SQ FT. EA. (doesn't look like it though), of maybe they stuffed up their calculations.

I've got a bit too much free time over the next couple of weeks, so may get on Paint.net or something, work out pixel areas, & run some calculations. Yes, a nutter. I really have too much time between ski seasons :crack:

So each patron gets 5 square feet of space? Damn it, we've all been doing GA wrong! :(
Doesn't sound like much space to me. 5 SQ. FT is 2.2 FT x 2.2 FT, not 5 FT x 5 FT (that's 25 SQ FT). That certainly seems much tighter than RZ was at the 360 shows. I'm guessing the 5 SQ. FT. EA. figure in RZ is wrong, looking at the GA figures.

Now that the first shows have taken place - was the original assumption correct that where the RZ was marked on the seating chart is the e stage end?

Now that the first shows have taken place - was the original assumption correct that where the RZ was marked on the seating chart is the e stage end?

Yeah, it was true. For the original TM map of Vancouver, the RZ's were shown to be near sections 111-112. This turned out to be the location of the e-stage. The face that RZ was subsequently moved to the other end doesn't change the fact that,

When looking at the ORIGINAL TM maps, the e-stage is down the end beside the RZ's.

Was true for Vancouver, I'd assume it will be true for other venues, we'll have to wait & see.

The original Ticketmaster diagram showed the red zones located on either side of a big block. It was a placeholder to give a general idea, and should not have been taken verbatim.

The image on the San Jose diagram did appear to have a section near the e-stage cordoned off, but it wasn't labeled as being the Red Zone. It was a fairly intelligent guess to think that it was there, but it wasn't labeled as such.

My thought is this... The venues were shown a pre rehearsal diagram of the stage and were told not to use it as it could change once they installed the stage in an arena. So they all went with the generic blocky placeholder, except for the San Jose arena website, who fucked up and put the pre rehearsal diagram up.

Once they got to Vancouver and started installing things they realized pretty quickly that the location around the e-stage would cause a rather big traffic issue for anyone going from one side of the arena to the other. It may have even been a fire code issue.

So they started playing around with ideas of where to put it... thus the red zone tape on the floor that we were never supposed to see that freaked a few people out here.

Ultimately they decided the best place for it was where it resided in Vancouver.

Back
Top Bottom