*Spoilers* Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard in multiple soundchecks Bono talking about how sore his voice is. Let's get real, the guy is not 100%. Nothing wrong with that.

You won't give me a date or city or exact wording on the quote.

Apparently my saying I overheard him isn't sufficient for you. I have video from Phoenix where he states 'my voice is a little sore... And the dryness here'. I don't know how to post it but I could send it to Shannon or Mike if they know how to. Or at least vouch for me, since my word isn't enough.

Apparently my saying I overheard him isn't sufficient for you. I have video from Phoenix where he states 'my voice is a little sore... And the dryness here'. I don't know how to post it but I could send it to Shannon or Mike if they know how to. Or at least vouch for me, since my word isn't enough.

Upload it to YouTube

He's giving fans an "easy" answer for a bigger issue in recovering his full physical health.

You won't give me a date or city or exact wording on the quote.

Perhaps if we complained enough about it in online forums he'd stop saying it.

For fucks sake guy... Why would I make this up? For what purpose would I have to friggin make something like that up, unless you believe me to be a crazy person?

I read the same thing. Honestly don't remember the magazine or journal.
All I know is I got there clicking a link posted here on interference.
Maybe we were all in a colective dream and it was all a lie! :shrug:

He sounds pretty good to me in the two shows I went to in LA. Some of these songs really strain his voice unfortunately. Wolves, ebw. Considering the amount of shows he's done in all these years I think its pretty amazing that he sounds this good. But yeah two years of this is gonna be rough.

If Bono had any singing issues they would be doing show day/off day/show day/off day tour routing like every other act in their age bracket. Instead they are doing back to back nights.

yep.

Remember Edge's quote from Vancouver that they plan on doing 24-26 songs per night? How that working out?

Well for one, it might be working out that way because of Bono's throat issues at the moment... just sayin'. :huh:

And okay. Bono won't let Edge sing. What a big meany.

Is it just me or is everyone talking past each other in this thread?

It seems to me that U2FP is saying Bono does not have a chronic vocal problem that seriously affects his singing or requires careful management to allow him to perform - vocal issues sufficiently serious to limit the length of shows, require him to take it very easy outside of full gigs (e.g. short/no soundchecks), and demand greater gaps between performances (so no three-night stands like we just had with LA 1 & 2 and the Roxy).

And it seems that a bunch of you are saying that Bono does have some vocal issues - he has mentioned, during soundchecks and interviews, that his voice isn't in the condition he would like, and at times he definitely struggles to hit all the notes he wants to hit. The issues can affect his performance, and he is obviously ragged at times, but things aren't serious enough to restrict his overall capacity to rehearse and perform.

Neither of these positions are mutually exclusive to me. Bono having some issues with his voice does not have to equate to a chronic problem.

So can we move on?

Axver--It seems to me that U2FP is trying to argue that Bono does not have any vocal issues going on, or else he wouldn't be singing as hard or taking it easy. This is incorrect, as evident by Bono repeatedly:
1. Talking during rehearsal/soundcheck that his voice is sore and then talks his way through songs as opposed to singing.
2. Reporting to fans that his voice is sore.

Bono is a pro (at least on the beginning of the tour) and will be at rehearsals for rehearsal sake, but will pace himself accordingly.

U2FP trying to insist otherwise is incorrect.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll agree this whole discussion is rather silly.

We're now up to sixty songs already counting everything that has at least one person vaguely remembering it being sound checked.

A: Songs Performed In Full Thus Far (38):

Boy: I Will Follow, The Ocean*, Out of Control, The Electric Co. (4)
October:
War:
Sunday Bloody Sunday, 40 (2)
The Unforgettable Fire: Pride, Bad (2)
The Joshua Tree: Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You, Bullet The Blue Sky, In God's Country (5)
Rattle & Hum: Desire, Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town, All I Want Is You (4)
Achtung Baby: Even Better Than The Real Thing, One, Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways (4)
Zooropa:
Original Soundtracks I:
Pop:
All That You Can't Leave Behind:
Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Elevation (3)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights (3)
No Line On The Horizon:
Songs of Innocence: The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), Every Breaking Wave, California (There Is No End To Love), Song for Someone, Iris (Hold Me Close), Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood Road, The Troubles (8)

Non-Album: 11 O'Clock Tick Tock*, The Sweetest Thing, Invisible (3)

* = KROQ show only

B: Rehearsed And Then Later Appeared As Snippets Only (2):

No Line On The Horizon: Moment of Surrender (1)
Non-Album: The Hands That Built America (1)

C: Heard Rehearsed and/or Appeared On Control Room Screen (11):

Boy: An Cat Dubh (1)
October:
War:
The Unforgettable Fire:

The Joshua Tree: Running To Stand Still (1)
Rattle & Hum:
Achtung Baby: The Fly (acoustic), Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World (acoustic) (2)
Zooropa: Numb (1)
Original Soundtracks I:
Pop: Playboy Mansion (1)
All That You Can't Leave Behind:
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: One Step Closer (1)
No Line On The Horizon: Magnificent, No Line On The Horizon (acoustic) (2)
Songs of Innocence:

Non-album: Ordinary Love, The Ground Beneath Her Feet (acoustic) (2)

Full Band Run-Throughs: Running To Stand Still, Playboy Mansion, Elevation, One Step Closer, Magnificent, Ordinary Love (6)
Acoustic Only Run-Throughs: The Fly, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, No Line On The Horizon, The Ground Beneath Her Feet (4)
Edge Only Run-Through Confirmed: An Cat Dubh (1)
Seen on Control Room Screen: Numb (1)

D: Presumed To Have Been Rehearsed But I Have Yet To See Solid Enough Confirmation (9):

Boy: Into The Heart (1)
October:
War:
The Unforgettable Fire:
The Joshua Tree:
Rattle & Hum:

Achtung Baby: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (1)
Zooropa: Stay (1)
Original Soundtracks I:
Pop: If You Wear That Velvet Dress (1)
All That You Can't Leave Behind:In A Little While (1)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb:
No Line On The Horizon:
Songs Of Innocence:
Volcano, Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now (3)

Non-Album: The Crystal Ballroom (1)

E: Lyrics Appeared Only As A Snippet In A Live Show

Pop: Mofo (1)

Totals:

Played In Full: 38
Rehearsed And Later Appeared In Snippet Form: 2 (40)
Heard Rehearsed and/or Appeared On Control Room Screen: 11 (51)
Presumed Rehearsed: 9 (60)

Album Totals:

Boy: 4 Live Songs (I Will Follow/Ocean/OOC/Electric) + 1 Rehearsal (An Cat Dubh) + 1 Presumed Rehearsal (Into The Heart) (6)
October: (0)
War: 2 Live Songs (SBS/40) (2)
The Unforgettable Fire: 2 Live Songs (Pride/Bad) (2)
The Joshua Tree: 5 Live Songs (Streets/ISHFWILF/WOWY/Bullet/IGC) + 1 Rehearsal (RTSS) (6)
Rattle & Hum: 4 Live Songs (Desire/AoH/WLCTT/AIWIY) (4)
Achtung Baby: 4 Live Songs (EBTTRT/One/UTEOTW/MW)+ 2 Rehearsals (Fly/TTTYAATW) +1 Presumed Rehearsal (WGRYWH) (7)
Zooropa: 1 Control Room Screen Appearance (Numb) + 1 Presumed Rehearsal (Stay) (2)
Original Soundtracks I: (0)
Pop: 1 Rehearsal (Playboy Mansion) + 1 Presumed Rehearsal (Velvet Dress) + 1 Appearance Of Lyrics As A Snippet (Mofo) (3)
All That You Can't Leave Behind: 3 Live Songs (BD/Stuck/Elevation)+ 1 Presumed Rehearsal (IALW) (4)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: 3 Live Songs (Vertigo/MD/COBL) + 1 Rehearsal (OSC) (4)
No Line On The Horizon: 1 Rehearsal Turned Snippet (MoS) + 2 More Rehearsals (NLOTH/Magnificent) (3)
Songs Of Innocence: 8 Live Songs + 3 Presumed Rehearsals (Volcano/Reach/Baby) (11)

Non-Album: 3 Live Songs (11OTT/Invisible/Sweetest Thing) + 1 Rehearsal Turned Snippet (Hands) + 2 Rehearsals (TGBHF/OL) + 1 Presumed Rehearsal (Crystal Ballroom) (7)[/QUOTE]

Is it just me or is everyone talking past each other in this thread?

It seems to me that U2FP is saying Bono does not have a chronic vocal problem that seriously affects his singing or requires careful management to allow him to perform - vocal issues sufficiently serious to limit the length of shows, require him to take it very easy outside of full gigs (e.g. short/no soundchecks), and demand greater gaps between performances (so no three-night stands like we just had with LA 1 & 2 and the Roxy).

And it seems that a bunch of you are saying that Bono does have some vocal issues - he has mentioned, during soundchecks and interviews, that his voice isn't in the condition he would like, and at times he definitely struggles to hit all the notes he wants to hit. The issues can affect his performance, and he is obviously ragged at times, but things aren't serious enough to restrict his overall capacity to rehearse and perform.

Neither of these positions are mutually exclusive to me. Bono having some issues with his voice does not have to equate to a chronic problem.

So can we move on?

I honestly don't give a crap either way I'm just baffled that he would pick such a non consequential thing to draw a line in the sand over and refuse to acknowledge that it was said.

My continuation with it is just out or sheer amusement over the absurdity of it all.

I honestly don't give a crap either way I'm just baffled that he would pick such a non consequential thing to draw a line in the sand over and refuse to acknowledge that it was said.

My continuation with it is just out or sheer amusement over the absurdity of it all.

I agree, I thought he was going to protest U2 after not being able to get into the Special Olympics dress rehearsal on 5/8/15. Guess he changed his mind?

Pop: Playboy Mansion (1)

Missed this before...that would be so awesome :love:.

And just to confirm Julie sent me her video clip on Facebook and yes, Bono says "his voice is a little sore" and complains about the dryness of the air. He also thinks the moon in Phoenix the night before was beautiful, if anyone gives a turkey.

Who cares what Bono thinks? If he can't sing for me, he's useless.

Axver--It seems to me that U2FP is trying to argue that Bono does not have any vocal issues going on, or else he wouldn't be singing as hard or taking it easy. This is incorrect, as evident by Bono repeatedly:
1. Talking during rehearsal/soundcheck that his voice is sore and then talks his way through songs as opposed to singing.
2. Reporting to fans that his voice is sore.

Bono is a pro (at least on the beginning of the tour) and will be at rehearsals for rehearsal sake, but will pace himself accordingly.

U2FP trying to insist otherwise is incorrect.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll agree this whole discussion is rather silly.

Just curious since other have watched seen far more video/photos of the tour after Vancouver - has Bono been drinking tea or using throat coat onstage? This stuff is touring 101.

When Bono has voice issues 15 years ago the shows would be 30 minutes shorter than the past couple concerts. Plus some of the recent soundchecks and audibles(some of which are harder to sing)

I believe things Bono has said during soundchecks or to fans. I just think it's a cop out excuse. Just like I think Edge's answer about rehearsing a single show with wildcard slots instead of 2 different sets was fans worrying about a "better show" was disingenuous(seasoned fans who see 2 nights are usually unanimous on show quality).

I'm not arguing a trivial detail, I'm saying I don't think Bono is nearly recovered from the bike thing as he wants everyone to believe and voice "issues" are just 1 symptom of that. It also explains why the show still feels like it's trying to find it's footing, they only worked on SOI/warhorses/semi-rarities from Elevation/Vertigo Tours and why Edge has worked up as many as 2 dozen songs Bono has barely touched in various 2015 rehearsals. NOBODY thinks the current show has reached it's full potential and that has little to do with Bono having a handful of raspy notes(heard at every gig since Popmart and even at off nights on earlier tours) or having a couple numb fingers.

Wasn't Phoenix1 generally considered the best night of the tour so far?

EVERY singer has singing issues when they play Phoenix/Denver/Vegas because of the air they breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom