*Spoilers* Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought people might have had it mixed up.

Google him and everything related to Larry Mullen and there's no sign of this news.

If it's real, wouldn't be surprised if the Vancouver shows are pushed back. If he did die yesterday, on Bono's b-day of all things, they would probably be having the funeral on Wednesday.

I doubt they'll push the shows back - even if the funeral is Wednesday, can fly back after, or even the morning of the show. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I doubt they'll push the shows back - even if the funeral is Wednesday, can fly back after, or even the morning of the show. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker

I'm thinking that the funeral will be on the weekend...they will be straight on a plane to Dublin after the Friday show.

I arrived in Vancouver on Saturday. Yesterday went to Capilano suspension bridge park and Stanley Park and today went to an all day whale watching excursion. Was nice but quite long. Weather has been wonderful the past few days. On the way back to the hotel this evening I passed by the arena and all I saw was a crowd standing by the back door, I guess waiting for the band. Didn't see the GA line. Imagine they're hiding somewhere but I don't feel like looking for them tonight. Maybe I will look for the line tomorrow.

So Vancouver to Dublin is about a 10-11 hour flight. I would have to think there's a decent chance the first two shows get postponed. This isn't like Slane where they're within driving distance.

Terrible for Larry and the band. Whatever they decide to do, the first poster who complains about the decision should be banned forever.

Flight from Vancouver to Dublin is about 14 hours. I would think all band members would be there and possibly a good number of long time staff as well.

My ex-wife lives in Ireland. Not sure if it's a religious thing, but when someone dies over there it's like a race to get them buried within 72 hours. The same thing happened with Bono's dad in 2001. He died on the 21st and they buried him on the 24th, then played Slane the next day.

If they skip any further rehearsals, is there enough time to get to Ireland and back for opening night? I imagine that's what they would try to do if possible.

Flight from Vancouver to Dublin is about 14 hours. I would think all band members would be there and possibly a good number of long time staff as well.

My ex-wife lives in Ireland. Not sure if it's a religious thing, but when someone dies over there it's like a race to get them buried within 72 hours. The same thing happened with Bono's dad in 2001. He died on the 21st and they buried him on the 24th, then played Slane the next day.

I'm pretty sure that's a Jewish thing; not an irish thing.

My opinion is that if they were planning to postpone the shows, they would have announced it already, since he passed away yesterday.

They would use the tour plane, so could conceivably travel overnight if necessary. Airport curfews would be the only issue. Funeral Tuesday, they are probably already there, and turn around and back to Vancouver. I think if there was any way possible to avoid postponing they will, it would be a logistics nightmare to move dates around this late in the game

That would be a lot of pressure on Larry. Especially with all the anxieties already concerning the opening of this tour. They could easily reschedule the vancouver dates during the week break they have scheduled between Montreal and Chicago in mid-June.

If Larry and the band anticipated his dad's death, that could explain why they chose to bring out One Step Closer for the tour. Also would think now that SYCMIOYO might be staple now for the tour.

There's nothing on at the Rogers Arena until the 21st. They could potentially make the second show the new first night, and bump the original first show to the 16th. It gives an extra 24 hours of breathing room. I don't think that would muck up the turnaround to San Jose, and would be less difficult than rescheduling both shows later (and cause less inconvenience to all the fans who've travelled in from around the world, a fact of which the band will be aware).

But with the logistics of cancelling at such a late stage, I would have assumed that a decision would have been taken quickly and already announced.

There's nothing on at the Rogers Arena until the 21st. They could potentially make the second show the new first night, and bump the original first show to the 16th. It gives an extra 24 hours of breathing room. I don't think that would muck up the turnaround to San Jose, and would be less difficult than rescheduling both shows later (and cause less inconvenience to all the fans who've travelled in from around the world, a fact of which the band will be aware).

But with the logistics of cancelling at such a late stage, I would have assumed that a decision would have been taken quickly and already announced.

Agree re all of this - given it happened yesterday, they would have to be in, or on route to Ireland already. If they didn't think they could still meet the schedule, it would have been acknowledged by now

If his dad was sick for a while and Larry has mentally planned for this day, then he could just go through the motions and keep the schedule on track.

But if it was a surprise, I know he was 92 but still, well then it could be a whole other story for Larry to get his head straight and be tour ready.

If there is one thing we've learned about U2, it's that family is everything and family comes first. I'll be kind of shocked if Larry handles this quickly and lightly.

For the sake of all the fans that made the pilgrimage to vancouver for opening night, I hope I'm wrong.

Also, they would not make a cancellation announcement until they had reschedule dates and all the details in place. Tour staff could be in a frenzy working on that now.

If there is one thing we've learned about U2, it's that family is everything and family comes first. I'll be kind of shocked if Larry handles this quickly and lightly.

For the sake of all the fans that made the pilgrimage to vancouver for opening night, I hope I'm wrong.

Also, they would not make a cancellation announcement until they had reschedule dates and all the details in place. Tour staff could be in a frenzy working on that now.

Disagree - they would get a postponement out asap to prevent fans spending on travel etc unnecessarily.

Yeah, with people flying in from all over, you'd think they'd want to get the news out ASAP. If there is a date change, fans who haven't boarded their flights may still be able to alter their booking or claim a refund. The band will be aware that this is no ordinary show and attracts particular interest from the global fanbase - which no doubt is unwelcome pressure at a time like this!

I promised Axver....

Thursday rehearsal setlist before Fallon:

6:30pm
Bullet 1
Bullet 2
Bullet 3
Miracle Drug
Edge fiddling with M-Drug guitar parts for 10 minute

Dinner break

Ramone
Ramone 2
Vertigo
Elevation
Out Of Control
California(God Only Knows snippet)
Iris(the last bit may have been re-arranged a bit)
Cedarwood
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody
Raised By Wolves(real time B&W band video onscreen)
UTEOTW(strobes and spotlights/screen off)

9:30pm

Invisible
Better
Mysterious(bongos) with Byrne-Burning House snippet
Ordinary Love
E-Wave
Bullet #4
Troubles
COBL
B-Day
Miracle Drug
Sting/Streets
Found

Invisible is mostly a yellow screen with some kind of animation in black on the bottom of the screen.

Troubles is a side angle/profile closeup video of Bono with some mild "blurring" effect.

WOWY has a dozen "moon beams" going around the lower bowl.

For the 2nd half of the show Bono is wearing a simple black/dark blazer with leather/matte lapels and subtle silver trim. Not seen in any preview video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom