*Spoilers* Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A U2 show without Still haven't found is not a U2 show. It's easily one of the most uplifting songs ever and brings magic to the show. It's the song that always certainly gets the crowd into the show and Bono's rants and speeches before the song are legendary. Even though I cannot listen to the album version any more because it's been played to death by radio over the years I still get wet eyes when I hear it live.

Maybe he knew his fathers death was coming, had made peace with this fact, and knew it was for the best that he's moved on to a better place. Perhaps Mr. Mullen had a long period of suffering, I'm not really sure what his cause if death was. We don't know, it's not our family, and not really our business why Larry doesn't want to postpone any shows.

My grandfather is 93, and every time I see him his health has declined a little bit. While I'm sure it'll still hit me hard when he passes, I've prepared myself for the fact that one of these days in the not-to-distant future, I'm going to get "the call". When a very elderly person dies of natural causes, it can be a very long goodbye sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Let's not assume what Larry's state of mind is, or cast judgements on whether he 'needs time' or not. There is no correct way to grieve, and some people just need to return to normalcy. That is perfectly acceptable. I am sure the band are following his wishes.

A U2 show without Still haven't found is not a U2 show. It's easily one of the most uplifting songs ever and brings magic to the show. It's the song that always certainly gets the crowd into the show and Bono's rants and speeches before the song are legendary. Even though I cannot listen to the album version any more because it's been played to death by radio over the years I still get wet eyes when I hear it live.

I saw two of three shows without it. Didn't miss it. Didn't mind it. I guess i like the "wall of sound" UTEOTW burners a bit more

Personally, ISHFWILF is my least favorite song on JT. It just does nothing for me. It was good on PopMart and that's about the only version I like; the rest are major snorefests.

Let's not assume what Larry's state of mind is, or cast judgements on whether he 'needs time' or not. There is no correct way to grieve, and some people just need to return to normalcy. That is perfectly acceptable. I am sure the band are following his wishes.

:up:

Not sure why people are surprised ISHFWILF could close a main set or encore. It was the regular main set closer - either by itself or paired with Stand By Me - for ZooTV's first three legs.

A U2 show without Still haven't found is not a U2 show.

:lmao: You do realise it missed most of the Elevation Tour, and most/all of some other tour legs (ZooTV's final two legs, first leg of Vertigo, etc.)? U2 clearly have considered it more expendable than you do. Shall we make a list of what songs are essential to have a U2 show? Being rigid and fundamentalist about what they MUST play is absurd.

Personally, ISHFWILF is my least favorite song on JT.

If it weren't for Trip I would agree completely.

Personally I think ISHFWILF is a waste of time live, especially when Bono sings about half the chorus and lets the crowd do the rest. We go to hear him sing, not the drunken dickhead two rows back.

Not sure why people are surprised ISHFWILF could close a main set or encore. It was the regular main set closer - either by itself or paired with Stand By Me - for ZooTV's first three legs.

:lmao: You do realise it missed most of the Elevation Tour, and most/all of some other tour legs (ZooTV's final two legs, first leg of Vertigo, etc.)? U2 clearly have considered it more expendable than you do. Shall we make a list of what songs are essential to have a U2 show? Being rigid and fundamentalist about what they MUST play is absurd.

Personally I think ISHFWILF is a waste of time live, especially when Bono sings about half the chorus and lets the crowd do the rest. We go to hear him sing, not the drunken dickhead two rows back.

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

At least Trip is a fun song. Personally, I think both Rattle & Hum and JT would've both benefited if they switched Trip and Heartland. Trip fits better with RH and Heartland would've been perfect on JT. Oh yeah, and Heartland is a great frikin song.
Heartland-OTH-Exit-Mothers to close the album. That would've been incredible.
But hey, Trip isn't too bad in my book. It's not an album killer to say the least.

At least Trip is a fun song. Personally, I think both Rattle & Hum and JT would've both benefited if they switched Trip and Heartland. Trip fits better with RH and Heartland would've been perfect on JT. Oh yeah, and Heartland is a great frikin song.
Heartland-OTH-Exit-Mothers to close the album. That would've been incredible.

Agreed. Or if they felt Heartland wasn't ready to go, why why WHY did they put Trip on the album rather than Spanish Eyes? Hell, Spanish Eyes even got a music video in the end.

Spanish Eyes has always felt unfinished to me and it's one of Bono's worst vocals of the period.

But I feel weird bashing the song when it's honestly the direction I'd like to see U2 go at this stage in their career. It's disappointing that so little TUF/JT material is in the mix this time, as Nick has mentioned on a number of occasions.

Spanish Eyes has always felt unfinished to me and it's one of Bono's worst vocals of the period.

But I feel weird bashing the song when it's honestly the direction I'd like to see U2 go at this stage in their career. It's disappointing that so little TUF/JT material is in the mix this time, as Nick has mentioned on a number of occasions.

I throw Spanish Eyes on my custom RH track list, but it seems unfinished and Bono's vocals are pretty bad at times.
It is also very disappointing not to see songs like ASOH, Exit, IGC, etc to not even get a look. Heck, even Wave of Sorrow would be great. They did one live version and it sounded phenomenal.

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of LM Sr. But I have good faith that the band made the right decision with keeping the van shows as planned! I'm sure the band honoured Larry's wishes and I'm sure he wanted to return to the stage. This may make for an emotional set if shows. It wouldn't surprise me if they bring back sycmioyo.

I don't have a ticket yet. Maybe I'll see if somebody has an MSG when we get close. Birthday present. Anyway hopefully the set-list evolves. I have been to 3 shows. 2 on elevation one vertigo. Missed 360 because of a move. I want to make a realistic 'please' list and 'scratch it' list.

Please List

In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Gloria
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Mofo
Better

Scratch it

I Will Follow (seen it at each show, disappointing on Vertigo, because I wanted Gloria)
ISHFWILF (turns into campfire sing along)
Walk On (it would be a bathroom + Beer break for me)
Elevation (Been there done that)
With or Without You (rather Bad or One Tree Hill in that spot)

I throw Spanish Eyes on my custom RH track list, but it seems unfinished and Bono's vocals are pretty bad at times.
It is also very disappointing not to see songs like ASOH, Exit, IGC, etc to not even get a look. Heck, even Wave of Sorrow would be great. They did one live version and it sounded phenomenal.

Agreed about Wave of Sorrow. And sonically, I feel like it fits nicely with Sweetest Thing and The Ground Beneath Her Feat and Hands That Built America (if they do decide to do that full version) and could rotate alongside them. Probably wont' happen, but it's fun to dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-w7B4tNB4

Maybe he knew his fathers death was coming, had made peace with this fact, and knew it was for the best that he's moved on to a better place. Perhaps Mr. Mullen had a long period of suffering, I'm not really sure what his cause if death was. We don't know, it's not our family, and not really our business why Larry doesn't want to postpone any shows.

One of the articles mentioned Larry Sr. passing while in hospital.

I think Still Haven't Found would actually be a good ending. The whole arena can keep singing while U2 go off stage. We can keep singing when walking out of the stadium, onto the streets... it'd work.

After hearing the set which is likely to precede it, it might well turn out to be an apposite chant for the fans to walk out of the arena singing.

The Troubles would be the ideal closer with a lengthy guitar solo.

I can't lie, but I'm dying to see/hear Bullet. It's been 10 years! And they have a lot to prove by bringing it back after that Vertigo-era snooze solo.

That understated solo was just perfect for that version of Bullet.

But yeah, this time I want something punchy.

I liked it. Made a good change, but yeah I'd love them to go back to how they used to play it.

I've never been a big fan of Spanish Eyes. Trip Through Your Wires is a hell of a lot of fun and a good release on perhaps the most serious album of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom