Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't get all the complaining about the acoustic songs. People always say they want U2 to do something new, and that's what U2 are doing. When have they regularly played songs with a string quartet before? We have the full-band versions on the album, and we'll get a lot more of that over the next two years when they're on the road. Enjoy this for what it is. It'll be over soon enough.

I don't get all the complaining about the acoustic songs. People always say they want U2 to do something new, and that's what U2 are doing. When have they regularly played songs with a string quartet before? We have the full-band versions on the album, and we'll get a lot more of that over the next two years when they're on the road. Enjoy this for what it is. It'll be over soon enough.

I'm just so angry about this. U2 clearly plays their promo tour for the diehards, not to promote the album. They've been playing the same crap every night. As a fan, I feel betrayed!

I'm just so angry about this. U2 clearly plays their promo tour for the diehards, not to promote the album. They've been playing the same crap every night. As a fan, I feel betrayed!

?

Personally I am enjoying this "acoustic adventure" that U2 has embarked upon, but let´s face it, its the same songs too many times.
It would be nice to play some of the other songs also, in acoustic style
if they want.
But how about playing some of the old crowd favourites in acoustic style?
That would be interesting to hear.

I thought promo tours were playing the same songs over and over again.

That said, did anyone expect to hear Cedarwood Road, Volcano or California during these appearances? I didn't.

If they play Reach Around or Iris on the promo tour, I will piss tears of joy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like that they played Stuck during one of the promo appearances. I have a feeling as this promo tour continues they'll stop playing the new songs and play songs from ATYCLB.

;)

U2 clearly plays their promo tour for the diehards, not to promote the album.

Do they really need to promote the album? I think they're promoting the tour.
The way I see it, they gave away the album in order to promote the tour.

We have to keep in mind that they are mainly promoting the deluxe set right now since half the world has already heard the regular album versions, so this might also be a reason why they're going for the acoustic performances of the songs right now. It will be interesting to see if we'll get various versions of certain songs once the tour starts and how the band will do when trying to play different versions for different live settings.

I don't buy this theory at all. If they were promoting the deluxe album, we'd have a shit load of crystal ballroom, as that song is the absolute tits.

they can't play the songs yet. That's all

You know, like everyone else, I loved AB and am glad U2 radically reinvented themselves the way they did. They needed to do it, and they would not be considered the top tier act they are today if not for that reinvention. It's that reinvention, IMO, that ultimately enabled them to separate themselves from peers like Echo and the Simple Minds. I firmly believe without that reinvention, they'd probably be regarded much like those bands are today...fondly remembered, definitive for their time, but no longer relevant.

That said, sometimes I think I'd have liked to see what U2 would have come up with had they continued to explore the sonic landscapes they created with Eno and Lanois in TUF and TJT just a while longer. I don't feel like we got everything they had to give from that era (as the excellent b-sides attest to), and I certainly would have liked to spend more time with that sound.

Clearly they couldn't stay "that" U2 forever, but I have a lot of love for those super serious guys and the music they made, even if it was necessary for them to grow and change.

(sigh)

You know, like everyone else, I loved AB and am glad U2 radically reinvented themselves the way they did. They needed to do it, and they would not be considered the top tier act they are today if not for that reinvention. It's that reinvention, IMO, that ultimately enabled them to separate themselves from peers like Echo and the Simple Minds. I firmly believe without that reinvention, they'd probably be regarded much like those bands are today...fondly remembered, definitive for their time, but no longer relevant.

That said, sometimes I think I'd have liked to see what U2 would have come up with had they continued to explore the sonic landscapes they created with Eno and Lanois in TUF and TJT just a while longer. I don't feel like we got everything they had to give from that era (as the excellent b-sides attest to), and I certainly would have liked to spend more time with that sound.

Clearly they couldn't stay "that" U2 forever, but I have a lot of love for those super serious guys and the music they made, even if it was necessary for them to grow and change.

(sigh)

Well said. That woulda been fun. :up:

I don't buy this theory at all. If they were promoting the deluxe album, we'd have a shit load of crystal ballroom, as that song is the absolute tits.

That's probably really true

By May or whatever they should really have their shit together.

But maybe they're just enjoying the acoustic performances more. Bono was out there saying we're in for acoustic performances before the Deluxe version was even released. The more intimate radio sessions are much more suitable for those than they seem to be for songs like Crystal Ballroom. When they went on Jools Holland they got out Volcano and California full band, that's the most we got of the SOI album versions. I still think we'll be hearing Crystal Ballroom sooner or later, they've been talking about it a lot and have also been asked about the song in various interviews. For now, I feel, they're just trying out more intimate settings with stripped down versions of the songs. And judging from overall response on social media, the acoustic versions are actually reaching people. Many say that they weren't really big fans of the album but that the acoustic songs are winning them over.

I don't get all the complaining about the acoustic songs. People always say they want U2 to do something new, and that's what U2 are doing.
Indeed.

As always though, when people say they want U2 to do something different they really mean to say that U2 should do exactly what they want them to do.
Someone should really inform those Irish acoustic music playing son s of bitches about this.

Let's hope they are knocking their brains out over Crystal Ballroom et al, in a soundproof room after every promo gig.

And judging from overall response on social media, the acoustic versions are actually reaching people. Many say that they weren't really big fans of the album but that the acoustic songs are winning them over.
This is really exciting. Even people who are not themselves crazy about the acoustic sets should be excited about this.

(sigh)
Nick, you are going to make Bono cry tears of frustration when he reads that. Shame on you.

Do they really need to promote the album? I think they're promoting the tour.
The way I see it, they gave away the album in order to promote the tour.

Yeah, I agree the tour is foremost on their minds now. Hence why they've been trying to "figure out" how to play these new son gs live. How do you promote an album that has already been given away free? Apple parted with a hefty chunk of change so they've already been paid for these new son gs. What's the point of doing five nights on Fallon or whatever when everyone already has the new son gs?

Yeah, I agree the tour is foremost on their minds now. Hence why they've been trying to "figure out" how to play these new son gs live. How do you promote an album that has already been given away free? Apple parted with a hefty chunk of change so they've already been paid for these new son gs. What's the point of doing five nights on Fallon or whatever when everyone already has the new son gs?

They could do zero promotion at this point and the tour would sell out everywhere. It's all about the album and getting radio play.

Nick, you are going to make Bono cry tears of frustration when he reads that. Shame on you.

Nah, Bono knows by now not to take anything I write here personally. In fact I'm flattered, honoured and gratified to count him among my Irish readers.

And the same goes for you, Jeevey (may I call you Jeeves?) :hug:

They could do zero promotion at this point and the tour would sell out everywhere. It's all about the album and getting radio play.

It's not just about the tour "selling out everywhere" (that's always been a given, especially since they're doing arenas this time). It's about the tour making headlines for the right reasons. Another shot at "relevance". They're already talking about two different set-ups. The album has already done its job of making U2 "part of the conversation" again (for better or worse). They may well try to get a song or two on the radio, but I'm sure the next six months will be mainly about the tour.

It's not just about the tour "selling out everywhere" (that's always been a given, especially since they're doing arenas this time). It's about the tour making headlines for the right reasons. Another shot at "relevance". They're already talking about two different set-ups. The album has already done its job of making U2 "part of the conversation" again (for better or worse). They may well try to get a song or two on the radio, but I'm sure the next six months will be mainly about the tour.

Agree, especially after the many negative headlines after the Apple thing. I think they are (understandably) trying to come across in the public as the great live band that they are instead of just "that band with the free album". And that's also part of the reason why they're going for a more "artistical" approach with their recent stripped down performances of certain songs instead of the good old rock stuff.

U2 in the USA. :hyper:
https://twitter.com/FallonTonight

I heard Jimmy Fallon just announce this in his opening monologue. The only place that his appears right now on his his Twitter page. It's nice to know that U2 is doing some U.S. press right before the predicted on sale dates.

Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place or maybe it's written somewhere else. LOL
Supposedly it's the whole week of November 17th?

Back
Top Bottom