Really odd directing choices in Paris.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
- the bulb toss in Vertigo
- on "can the Edge come out to play?" - a long shot of Larry, panning the audience, and then finally a weird closeup of Edge
- "I am not Invisible, I am here"

I haven't seen the live broadcast yet but it seems all of these are included in the rehearsal that is on youtube. For instance we see the bulb toss here:

I need to go back and watch the DVDs. I'd honestly forgotten about the Vertigo DVD!

My big disappointments with the Rose Bowl show:

1) cutting Breathe. wtf
2) HUGE missed opportunity to not show the lights shooting out of the top of the Claw in COBL
3) the whole thing is just soooo dark.

The Vertigo show has some of the worst editing of any U2 dvd. There are many moments (Elevation, Zoo Station off the top of my head) where Bono is singing and the microphone is not even near his mouth. It's like they used audio from one of the other Chicago shows.

Watched it last night and it showed him throwing the bulb in vertigo?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

e

Yep, it sounded like a clicking noise on my TV. Definitely noticed it during Iris and Bad, there were others too that I can't remember

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I have the original broadcast as well as a re-broadcast recorded to compare. In the original, they are most noticable in Every Breaking Wave, Streets, and With or Without You (I personally didn't hear any in Iris).
In the re-broadcast, they are absent from all the songs I have listed above.

Overall, I'm pleased to have a film of their most coherent show since Elevation, and the band certainly rose to the occasion. But watching it a second time, I'm struck by the director's refusal to shoot the big obvious moments in the show as big obvious moments, specifically -
- the bulb toss in Vertigo
- on "can the Edge come out to play?" - a long shot of Larry, panning the audience, and then finally a weird closeup of Edge
- "I am not Invisible, I am here"

All of these felt anticlimactic when they should have been huge. I'm confused by what they thought they were gaining by doing that.

I love the show and am sure I will return to it often. But they left a few big moments on the table.

It looked like they changed the shots in the version that was broadcasted on Dutch TV yesterday. At least, I can't remember these moments to be anticlimatic.

If anyone has specific moments in the show they suspect had edit changed, I can compare between my original broadcast and re-broadcast that I have on PVR. however, I only have this ability for next few days, because I'm going to have to delete one of them due to limited memory space.

Also, it should be noted that my re-broadcast was recorded a few hours after the original broadcast.....so it could be that any possible editing didn't happened till much later re-broadcasts

Last edited:
Actually fuck it I am drink and are you being serious? Btbs has been a massive highlight of this tour end of, literally the most bollocks the band has had for some time

Bullet The Blue Sky live is way too long and repetitive. So overrated.

I believe there are very true objective truths in this world. Hitler was bad. The sky is blue. Lionel Hutz is the best Simpsons character. And that the version of Bullet the Blue Sky that they played on this tour was amazing.

I believe there are very few objective truths in this world. Hitler was bad. The sky is blue. Lionel Hutz is the best Simpsons character. And that the version of Bullet the Blue Sky that they played on this tour was amazing.

Edit: true to few, damn autocorrect

Last edited:
Actually fuck it I am drink and are you being serious? Btbs has been a massive highlight of this tour end of, literally the most bollocks the band has had for some time

:lol: You are drink?

Wholly agree with you anyway mate. :wink: BTBS was a pleasant surprise. I hated the Vertigo Tour version but this tour? AWESOME.

The Bullet - Zooropa - Streets transition is the best Streets transition since Running To Stand Still on ZooTV, and that's saying something for me since I fucking loved Please into Streets on PopMart.

It makes me angry that we got Paul Simon into Streets, sans red screens.

:therethere: At least they listened to your complaints and fixed it right in time for the European leg.

Bet the haters where out in force on Twitter last night following the BBC broadcast, wonder how many watched it

Well, we all have our opinions don't we. I think the song itself is ok, I have no problems with that. But the live version I saw on the paris show last night was way too long for me. I can't speak about the other versions this tour though, haven't seen them.

Well, we all have our opinions don't we. I think the song itself is ok, I have no problems with that. But the live version I saw on the paris show last night was way too long for me. I can't speak about the other versions this tour though, haven't seen them.

I don't know, maybe that's the problem, seeing it live, or seeing it on the idiot box. For me the October>BTBS>Zooropa>Streets stretch was the highlight of the shows, BTBS being the pinnacle.... But yeah, I'm waffling, you're right, it's personal preferences. I hate some of the stuff that others on here enjoy, but that's all good :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom