Only "true" fans are entitled to rail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it's either get front row at a U2 show (LOLOLOL good luck) or be the furthest possible distance from the band in the entire pit. Those options are supposed to be better than last tour?

Seats are a better option unless you do RZ. I didn't know that was the case when I bought GA tickets.

Hold on a second. I would say no matter where you are on the floor, your $65 dollar GA ticket is better than any $95 or less ticket in the seats. You will find some $275 dollar tickets that are a better option, but I'd rather pay $65 to be at the back of the floor than pay for the best $275 dollar ticket up in the stands.

I don't think that RZ is going to run the length of the catwalk on both sides AND have the entire front of the 'I' stage. Even if it were only 6-8 feet wide that is a hell of a lot of RZ space.

But whatever...the more I think about that floor layout, I'm inclined to just show up around 7pm and find a spot at exactly where the red line would be(center ice), right in front of row 1 of the lower level. That would put the main stage/'e' stage equal distance away and still be far enough back(30 feet or so) to have a view of the screens.

Sure it does... The area is adjacent to the stage. It doesn't say "adjacent to the entire stage," it merely says that the red zone will be next to the stage. Which it is.

So the catwalk is "the stage," but the main stage isn't?

I hate to be nitpicking this closely, it's surely as annoying to read as it is for me to write, but the wording is very unclear, just like the seating chart. There's a reason no one is claiming that they saw this exact setup coming all along, merely that it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
I don't think that RZ is going to run the length of the catwalk on both sides AND have the entire front of the 'I' stage. Even if it were only 6-8 feet wide that is a hell of a lot of RZ space.

But whatever...the more I think about that floor layout, I'm inclined to just show up around 7pm and find a spot at exactly where the red line would be(center ice), right in front of row 1 of the lower level. That would put the main stage/'e' stage equal distance away and still be far enough back(30 feet or so) to have a view of the screens.

This is what I was thinking too. I'll have my 14 yr old with me on night 1 and my 12 yr old with me on night 2. The centre ice line along the boards. The masses that haven't seen this yet will be to confused initially and pack up the main stage and trickle along the runway to the "e". The led screens won't be dropped for some time in the show. Standing 5 feet from the $275 row 1 seats with amazing sights.

Finally, some common sense..

..Red Zone has always looked flaky in terms of people waffling about, getting drinks, bathroom breaks, etc, because of the lighter density of people and easier in/out privileges...does anyone really think the band is going to surround themselves for any appreciable amount time with an unpredictable crowd? No. I don't for one second believe they would make the front rows of a U2 show the Red Zone. Therefore, the stage front areas (stages "i" and "e") are not red zone.

That's my prediction.

IF the RZ's are actually adjacent to the catwalk (which we can't be 100% certain of at this stage), I understand why some people would be upset. I don't believe you can just say "GA is GA, you only paid to be on the floor". When tickets went on sale the provided seat plan (ok, it was only really the San Jose one) clearly showed RZ at one end of the arena, & that GA would have access to rails on the I-stage, & along the catwalk. So there's a reason for some to be a bit miffed (although I'm not upset by it). Some people may have chosen seats if they'd seen an accurate representation of the stage.

One reason I'm not too fussed is that I don't think that a spot on the rail of the catwalk is a particularly great spot. Yes Dan's right, there will be a lot of rail space, but is it good rail space (with regards to views). Being short myself (5'6"), I'm always looking at sight lines. As soon as the San Jose map was released I was a bit concerned about the lack of rail spots with good sight lines to the stages. Yes, this layout has a large QUANTITY or rail spots, but not many QUALITY rail spots. A rail spot on the catwalk will occasionally get you up close & personal with Bono & Co. when they move past down the catwalk. But we all know the band is going to spend the majority of their time on one of the 2 stages. Being on the rail of the catwalk will in no way help with views of the band on the stage (unless you're quite close to the stage, where a rail on Adam's side of the catwalk will help with views of Edge, & a rail on Edge's side will help with views of Adam).

Having RZ by the catwalk may actually be BETTER for sight lines in some parts of GA! Moving the RZ here may mean that more of the e-stage is now available for GA. So more GA people can get close to the band when they perform on the e-stage. Also if the rail on the e-stage at the far end of the arena is available, it may also have unrestricted views of the I-stage, over the e-stage & down the catwalk (depending on what happens with the LED screen), though you won't actually be able to watch the screen from here.

I believe that the RZ will not run the full length of the catwalk, to the rail on the front-of-stage. I'll outline my reasoning in a following post. Calculations & diagrams to be included :nerd: ..........

ps. I've just read gvox's post, & agree. The band may be spending more time on the e-stage than they normally do on a b-stage. They may want this stage to be surrounded by their most energetic fans (GA), so have moved RZ to a less desirable area (by the catwalk).

So the catwalk is "the stage," but the main stage isn't?

I hate to be nitpicking this closely, it's surely as annoying to read as it is for me to write, but the wording is very unclear, just like the seating chart. There's a reason no one is claiming that they saw this exact setup coming all along, merely that it's not a big deal.

The stage is the entire shaft, balls to head.

The only official information given was that the red zones were to be adjacent to the stage. They are.

Could they have been more clear? Should they have been more clear? Yes and yes. But nobody was misled, as you can't mislead someone by saying nothing.

The only way this is a big deal is if the only way you can possibly enjoy a U2 concert is if you're close enough to have Bono spit on you.

For everyone else this layout gives phenomenal views for everyone in GA and keeps the entire arena close to the action.

If it's leaning on something that's such a big deal, well have I got some great news for you! There's more rail on this setup than any other setup. And even leaving against the hockey boards will still give you a great view.

If being close enough to collect bodily fluids from band members is your only form of enjoyment, you still have plenty of space, but a little less than you may have assumed. But alas, we all know what assuming does...

The only way this is a big deal is if the only way you can possibly enjoy a U2 concert is if you're close enough to have Bono spit on you....

If being close enough to collect bodily fluids from band members is your only form of enjoyment...

This explains all the leather

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The only official information given was that the red zones were to be adjacent to the stage. They are.

so what are we calling the redzone? The foreskin? The Condom?

Could they have been more clear? Should they have been more clear? Yes and yes. But nobody was misled, as you can't mislead someone by saying nothing.

This. I don't understand all this bitching about GA vs RZ, we all knew very little about the concert layout when the tickets went on sale, if this was such a big issue, why buy the tickets in the first place?

Ok, I'll put on my nerd glasses. This is a discussion I've had over on the Zootopia forum.
* Whether a RZ area down the rail of the catwalk would be the appropriate size.
* Whether there would be a RZ on each side of the catwalk.
* Whether the RZ would run the full length of the catwalk.

Using the San Jose map, I've calculated the percentage of the available floor area that is allocated to GA, & the percentage allocated to RZ (see the diagram below)

For the original RZ layout (A);
* 93% of the area was utilized by GA.
* 7% of the area was utilized by RZ.

For a layout which contains a single RZ running the full length of the catwalk (B);
* 89% of the area was utilized by GA.
* 11% of the area was utilized by RZ.

For a layout which contains a single RZ running the partial length of the catwalk, with GA/RZ area percentages corresponding to the original layout (C)

San%20Jose%20calculations.jpg

Looking at the above diagram, I would conclude that;
* RZ would only be on one side of the catwalk (RZ's running the full length of the catwalk on both sides would constitute an area of 22% of the total floor area, way too much!).
* If a single RZ runs the entire length of the catwalk, it would constitute a 50% increase in size over the original RZ layout.
* A RZ adjacent to the catwalk would only run partly along it's length if it was to be the same area as the RZ's on the original plan.

ps. for both the catwalk RZ's above, I'd imagine access would be from beside the e-stage (limiting GA's access to this rail on one side of the stage.

Don't lose your minds people!

Ok, I'll put on my nerd glasses. This is a discussion I've had over on the Zootopia forum.

Using the San Jose map, I've calculated the percentage of the available floor area that is allocated to GA, & the percentage allocated to RZ (see the diagram below)

For a layout which contains a single RZ running the full length of the catwalk (B);

For a layout which contains a single RZ running the partial length of the catwalk, with GA/RZ area percentages corresponding to the original layout (C)

* RZ would only be on one side of the catwalk (RZ's running the full length of the catwalk on both sides would constitute an area of 22% of the total floor area, way too much!).
* If a single RZ runs the entire length of the catwalk, it would constitute a 50% increase in size over the original RZ layout.
* A RZ adjacent to the catwalk would only run partly along it's length if it was to be the same area as the RZ's on the original plan.

ps. for both the catwalk RZ's above, I'd imagine access would be from beside the e-stage (limiting GA's access to this rail on one side of the stage.

I thought about doing the same.
My only thoughts are...

If it's A or C, where do they enter from?
If it's B, why does the "South side" gets screwed? With that in mind, who tells us that it won't be the same at the other side?

I'm pretty sure its going to be diagram A.

If it's leaning on something that's such a big deal....

see now this is what i don't understand - those saying they NEED something to lean on or they won't cope - shouldn't they really just get a comfy seat if they're not physically up to it? i mean how do they cope with the crushes at the front and people around them really into it and jostling them?

We.... we don't even know what the stage actually looks like when it's fully set up. Has anybody considered that?

And that the screens may very well span the whole catwalk? Or at least come down on it? Maybe it'll be like the Invisible video where they're inside the screens, movements being tracked, screens down on both sides of the catwalk, making standing right against the catwalk rail not so good?

ps- rail is overrated - i got a spot right on the very front rail on 360 after arriving at the venue late afternoon, getting thru the gates quickly and SPRINTING the length of the footie pitch, but i seriously could hardly see a thing as the stage was so high and had neck ache afterwards for a week :lol:

see now this is what i don't understand - those saying they NEED something to lean on or they won't cope - shouldn't they really just get a comfy seat if they're not physically up to it? i mean how do they cope with the crushes at the front and people around them really into it and jostling them?

Worse yet are the ones saying they want to SIT before the show (on the ground in the ellipse/heart/what have you). After having SAT outside on the ground for like 24+ hours. Really now.

You don't read PSs, do you....

Obnl0kK.jpg

That's how it looks to be.

Hell, that yellow "South" sideways makes me think that the outter rail will turn there, so they'll have the whole front rail and the catwalk.

You're forgetting the security rail, which extends 3-4 feet. I highly doubt RZ goes all the way to the front stage. Don't forget they only sold 100 RZ tickets per show.

While they might have only sold 100 RZ tickets, if they use that area for "VIPs" like they did the Ellipse (in 2001 and 2005) and RZ last tour, more than 100 will be in the area.

***Quote:Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
see now this is what i don't understand - those saying they NEED something to lean on or they won't cope - shouldn't they really just get a comfy seat if they're not physically up to it? i mean how do they cope with the crushes at the front and people around them really into it and jostling them?****

Worse yet are the ones saying they want to SIT before the show (on the ground in the ellipse/heart/what have you). After having SAT outside on the ground for like 24+ hours. Really now..
You people are unreal. What the hell is it to you if someone would prefer to sit on the floor for the next 3-4 hours after entering the venue? And how the hell do you knwo they sat all day in line. maybe they stood and walked around and sat and layed down. Also for me it's not about NEEDING to lean on anything, it's about prefering to have that as a comfort. For me it's the whole point of waiting in line for hours. To have nobody in front of me and to have something to lean on. I wait in line so that I have a chance to be where I want to be. It's the whole point of GA for me. If it wasn't I'd show up when the doors open and enjoy the back row or the middle or what have you. That's not where I want to be though. It's unbelievable to see the outrageous distain some of you have for those who enjoy being on the rail as though it's an insult to you as a fan. And for record on every tour since PopMart I've bought floor tickets as well as seats in the stands so I can enjoy the shows from different perspectives. It's funny how bent out of shape some of you are with other people's GA location preferences.

You people are unreal.

asrgfd_zpsa55971b5.jpg

Me, I like to mix it up. If I'm in line outside a show, I'll sit for a while, then stand for a while. Inside the venue, waiting for the show, I'll sit for a while, then stand for a while. I also like something to lean on.

I also don't give a shit if anyone else thinks that's weird or wrong or whatever. (One more fun IDGAF tidbit: I love to bring a book or my Kindle and read while I'm waiting.)

We.... we don't even know what the stage actually looks like when it's fully set up. Has anybody considered that?

Get out of here with that crazy talk.

Maybe what they are calling Red Zone is the new 'getting scanned into the ellipse'.?

asrgfd_zpsa55971b5.jpg

Me, I like to mix it up. If I'm in line outside a show, I'll sit for a while, then stand for a while. Inside the venue, waiting for the show, I'll sit for a while, then stand for a while. I also like something to lean on.

I also don't give a shit if anyone else thinks that's weird or wrong or whatever. (One more fun IDGAF tidbit: I love to bring a book or my Kindle and read while I'm waiting.)

Get out of here with that crazy talk.

Exactly. It's not like sitting on the floor or leaning on the rail is going to ruin the show for people. I guarantee you once the show starts I'm one of the more "animated" people in the crowd. I'm into the shows. It doesn't matter how long I waited in line, once the band hits the stage I can promise you I'm not sitting there with my arms folded, nodding my head.

Anyways people should just not care and stop trying to put down those who enjoy being on the rail or whatever. Imagine if people started telling others how stupid they are for not wanting to be up front. I mean I don't understand why anyone would want to sit at the soundboard and chat with security but whatever. If that's what people like doing who cares. You dont' see me trying to belittle their concert going preferences.

To clarify, I find people who sit in the ellipse to be really inconveniencing everyone else. I've been to shows where they spread out and take up half the space in the middle so that the rest of the people are squished against the periphery. Then when they stand up there is a mad rush to the front/stage area which is totally out of control and people tend to behave like animals. I've also been to one show where the idiot ticket scanners were turning people away because the area "looked full" when in fact it was half empty, thanks to the people sitting down, each of whom took up the space that 2-3 standing people would. They subsequently let more people in when it became obvious that the area was not full. I didn't understand how this happened in the first place as I thought they counted the number of wristbands, surely they should have seen they have dozens left in their hands.

Obviously, I can only speak for me, but this is also my general sense of the mockery going on:

The only people I will happily mock are those who freak out about rail spots. i.e., those that are total assholes about rail spots.

Even though this is all a bit pre-emptive (as I said in another thread, we're just jaded and we know they are out there, and just don't have time for that BS anymore), those are the people who are getting mocked (at least by me).

Initially there were calls to calm down and wait to the few who were worrying out loud, and it grew from there into the mockery of those who deserve to be mocked (see above).

No one should be taking it personally, unless you're* one of those assholes, in which case ... well, phhhhhhbt to you.

*general 'you'

Back
Top Bottom