No more second guitar? Nonsense! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Central - 2015 Archive > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:21 PM
No more second guitar? Nonsense!

Bono may not be able to join Edge on stage with his weak-ass guitar skills anymore, thanks to Bikegate. This probably means Dallas, or someone else from the underworld, will need step it up and join in on songs that need/benefit the 2nd guitar, like The Fly, One, etc.

I say: step it up and step right out! that's right: join em on stage. no need to hide in the underworld anymore. Yes Terry Lawless likes to hide below with his keys. However, no self-respecting guitar player would say the same.

In the name of authenticity, and filling-out-their live sound, I say, let Dallas join them on stage

Registered Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
Bono may not be able to join Edge on stage with his weak-ass guitar skills anymore, thanks to Bikegate. This probably means Dallas, or someone else from the underworld, will need step it up and join in on songs that need/benefit the 2nd guitar, like The Fly, One, etc.

I say: step it up and step right out! that's right: join em on stage. no need to hide in the underworld anymore. Yes Terry Lawless likes to hide below with his keys. However, no self-respecting guitar player would say the same.

In the name of authenticity, and filling-out-their live sound, I say, let Dallas join them on stage

Maybe have Dallas play back there where the keyboard is normally set in the stage. A guest musician but not place him up there where the action is happening.

Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:21 AM
we just need a hologram bono
so much of the show is recorded already
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
The Male

That GIF is exactly what happened.

Shame on him for being so reckless.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 02:21 PM
:merge:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
The Fly

I'm a physician - though not an Ortho. Checked with a few Ortho buddies and sent them Bono's X-ray

They think the tour start in May and 4-6 weeks of full band rehearsals pre tour will be cutting it close for his rehab from the injury

He def will not have full range of motion by then and will likely have some pain. Full rehab can take 12 mos from an injury like this.

Basic (mandatory) rehab 5 days a week will start around now (once everything is set) and last 3 months - basically right up to rehearsal start

The rehab for the initial months is intense and several hours per day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
sfu2doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for posting

I am in Bono's age group and my elbows and knees ache

I am taking Advil daily. He will have serious pain for the rest of his life. He will need to be careful not to take too much pain meds, easy to abuse.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Gunslinger

No more second guitar? Nonsense!

Yes, thanks for taking the time to post this. Very much appreciated.

I'm certain that he'll be in the best shape of his life when it's time. As best as one can at his age.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfu2doc View Post
I'm a physician - though not an Ortho. Checked with a few Ortho buddies and sent them Bono's X-ray

They think the tour start in May and 4-6 weeks of full band rehearsals pre tour will be cutting it close for his rehab from the injury

He def will not have full range of motion by then and will likely have some pain. Full rehab can take 12 mos from an injury like this.

Basic (mandatory) rehab 5 days a week will start around now (once everything is set) and last 3 months - basically right up to rehearsal start

The rehab for the initial months is intense and several hours per day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I'd say your ortho friends are correct and Bono knew as much, particularly about the 5 days a week starting any day now. I wouldn't think it would be more than an hour or so at first. I also think he won't only be doing Physical Therapy (PT) for general mobility, but also Occupational Therapy (OT) for the fine motor skills and learning new movements for those he once took for granted. Hence, that is why he said he's not appearing in public for the first half of 2015. It's not even a half since May 14th is before that mark.

Godspeed Bono, hope your Irish stubbornness, endurance, and perseverance serves you well in this. I am counting on it and bet you are too. I'm not even wanting to entertain the downside of your pain with the medications to assist in your recovery. Prayers going up.
ImNotSleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post

That gif made my day, hilarious!
YBORCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Maybe have Dallas play back there where the keyboard is normally set in the stage. A guest musician but not place him up there where the action is happening.
That's what I'm thinking.. they'd still stand apart as U2, but without hiding anything
Registered Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Dallas on the stage from now on? God YES!

/fangirlmomentover

But who will be doing Edge's guitars then? Since Dallas does not only the switches, but is also in charge of the effects in case Edge isn't near his rack (on the ramps etc).
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
New Yorker

I would like to put forward the idea of perhaps employing Courtney Love to do the Bono guitar parts on the upcoming tour. She has loads of gig experience

gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Bono's guitar is not necessary for the band to play One or The Fly, or any other song. Nobody will be filling in for him on those songs. It's more for show than anything. Yes, sometimes Bono contributes to the sound with his guitar, other times he just holds it and occasionally strums a chord. Whatever he does play, it's different every single time. It's also party just to give him an excuse to stand still at his microphone stand for awhile.
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

We all make jokes about his guitar playing, but he's more important to some songs than many of you are giving him credit for.

They'll just make alternate arrangements, and things will be fine, but there will be an adjustment needed.

Additionally Bono is the key to U2's musical direction and song writing. He apparently can play piano now, so that should help in the song writing, but again... some are discounting his importance on guitar in the songwriting process a bit too much.

They'll be fine, and the most important thing in the entire posting is that he said he MIGHT not be able to play. It's entirely possible that he will be able to again in due time.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote