Meeting the band pre-show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeesguy86

The Fly
Searched for a thread about this and couldn't find it, so if this has been discussed I apologize!

Wanted to see what people's experiences were like on this tour with meeting the band pre-show. In 2001, I was lucky enough to meet Adam outside of the Indianapolis gig as they were pulling in for soundcheck (around 5pm). In 2005, felt like it was a little bit earlier for the Chicago gig (330, 4pmish) and was able to see Bono and the Edge.

I'm going to Chicago N1 and N2, and have time to kill before each show. Just wanted to see what everyone's experiences have been during this tour. For a band as big as U2, it's amazing how accessible they are to their fans.

Searched for a thread about this and couldn't find it, so if this has been discussed I apologize!

Wanted to see what people's experiences were like on this tour with meeting the band pre-show. In 2001, I was lucky enough to meet Adam outside of the Indianapolis gig as they were pulling in for soundcheck (around 5pm). In 2005, felt like it was a little bit earlier for the Chicago gig (330, 4pmish) and was able to see Bono and the Edge.

I'm going to Chicago N1 and N2, and have time to kill before each show. Just wanted to see what everyone's experiences have been during this tour. For a band as big as U2, it's amazing how accessible they are to their fans.

Watching the thread, gonna be at N1 thanks

You could check Twitter, usually fans have been posting pics when the band goes out to say hi (before their soundcheck I think).

I went to the two San Jose shows. For the first show I saw on twitter that they went out around 3pm. For the second show I went around 2pm and Edge and Larry had been out already, I arrived like 10 min before Bono went out (but there was a big crowd and I was way in the back, and I'm shorter than Bono :p, so really only heard him and saw his hair), but he was not signing anything because he was running late for a radio interview or something... Most of the crowd left after Bono, so I was in the rail :wink: when Adam went out and got an autograph, he is just so cool.

So I would say safest bet is get there (back entrance) at 1pm...

Folks that met the band before Vancouver and Phoenix said they were out there mid-afternoon. I'm sure it varies.

Seems like they were out around 3-ish in LA and Denver too, so that seems to be the norm these days.

The times I've been hearing consistently on here is between 2-4, so maybe 1-5 to be safe and if you're intent on trying to meet someone? I know Edge came out around a little after 3 or so at one of the L.A. shows after he'd already arrived at the venue...

I think it just all depends on when they feel like getting to the venue really.

In Philly in 2005, me and a couple other Interlanders left the GA line at about 3 and headed over to the loading dock/stage door area. We figured they would be there between 3 and 4ish based on past experience and timings from earlier in the tour. We waited until about 5:30 when I started to get real hungry from standing in the sun all day in line, and figured that they either had gone straight in via one of the many black SUVs coming and going, or if they hadn't arrived they wouldn't have time to come out and meet the fans. So I went over to Citizens Bank Park to get something to eat (and was offered cocaine no less than three times between the Wachovia Center and CBP, but that's another story). I was gone less than 20 minutes and came back to find out that in that time all four of them had arrived, done autographs, taken pictures, thanked the fans, and headed in to the arena (about 5:45 pm). I missed them by something like 30 seconds coming back from my cheesesteak :|

So yeah, I think it's whenever they can be arsed to get the hell out of bed and get dressed that determines it more than anything from what I've heard. :shrug:

In Philly in 2005, me and a couple other Interlanders left the GA line at about 3 and headed over to the loading dock/stage door area. We figured they would be there between 3 and 4ish based on past experience and timings from earlier in the tour. We waited until about 5:30 when I started to get real hungry from standing in the sun all day in line, and figured that they either had gone straight in via one of the many black SUVs coming and going, or if they hadn't arrived they wouldn't have time to come out and meet the fans. So I went over to Citizens Bank Park to get something to eat (and was offered cocaine no less than three times between the Wachovia Center and CBP, but that's another story). I was gone less than 20 minutes and came back to find out that in that time all four of them had arrived, done autographs, taken pictures, thanked the fans, and headed in to the arena (about 5:45 pm). I missed them by something like 30 seconds coming back from my cheesesteak :|

So yeah, I think it's whenever they can be arsed to get the hell out of bed and get dressed that determines it more than anything from what I've heard. :shrug:

Great story... but how was the cheesesteak? :cool:

Should've taken some of the cocaine, probably would have made it back in time to meet the band.

In LA it was between 3:30 and 4:00 although Edge had gotten there even earlier one of those days...and one of those days staff came out and told us Bono was stuck on the 405 LOL!:D

and one of those days staff came out and told us Bono was stuck on the 405 LOL!:D

He should have had Rock n Roll stop the traffic.

1987-11-11-Stop-the-traffic.jpg

I already got one going for amsterdam,

You can be # 54 since I have to have things signed for friends, and their friends friends. My nieces, nephews and that guy from the Mcdonalds around the corner.

If anyone wants to. You can sign up per sentence you want to talk to a bandmember, or per item or per selfie they have to make with you.

Anyone who met the band at Chicago 2, what time was that roughly? We are going to Chicago 3 & 4 and would like to try to see them (any of them ) one of these two days. And the spot again too is.....? Thanks. :)

yep, would like some answer here

On Night One, the Edge came up to greet people at 3:30. Night Two, all four came out and said hello and shook hands.

At the United Center, they enter through the loading dock on the west side of the stadium. If you want to be along the front of the crowd to meet the band, probably have to get there early. I was a good 3 or 4 people deep, but still a cool experience and got some good pictures, too.

On Night One, the Edge came up to greet people at 3:30. Night Two, all four came out and said hello and shook hands.

At the United Center, they enter through the loading dock on the west side of the stadium. If you want to be along the front of the crowd to meet the band, probably have to get there early. I was a good 3 or 4 people deep, but still a cool experience and got some good pictures, too.

Thanks!! So when all 4 came out was it staggered around the same time or ??? Thanks again. :)

thank you so much, this worked perfectly!!

met Bono and was close for Adam.

thank you so much, this worked perfectly!!

met Bono and was close for Adam.

That's awesome! Would love to actually MEET Bono someday, but so far have usually been too far away to shake his hand. Still, seeing these guys take even five minutes of their time to meet fans is just so cool.

Is it possible to meet the band and also get a good spot in GA? I would imagine getting a good spot at the band's entrance would mean you don't get to spend much time in the GA line?

Is it possible to meet the band and also get a good spot in GA? I would imagine getting a good spot at the band's entrance would mean you don't get to spend much time in the GA line?

Absolutely. I got into GA 20 minutes before the doors opened each night, somewhere between 250 and 300. I HIGHLY recommend going to about the "50 yard line" along the catwalk, and I'd be surprised if you weren't 2 or 3 deep from the rail. It's a fantastic view and you don't have to spend all day in line.

If you stake your GA claim and properly put in the line time beforehand, you can usually dash away for 30 minutes or so if wanting to wait for the band.

Any tips for autographs at the NY shows? Which entrance do they use? Do they usually sign at MSG or is that too much of a security nightmare in the middle of the city?

Going to MSG for the first time, I'd appreciate any tips. I'll be there for NY1 and 2. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom