Ideas/wishes about the (possible) next I&E tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Hi,

I guess/hope there will be a new leg of the I+E tour after the release of SOE (if this happens).

How will this new I+E tour look like? Here's my guess:

* They still start the concert with the Innocence-part as we know it, only with a few changes: (a) 1 other old song at the start, (b) 1 SOI song less, and (c) another song ending the set, so no UTEOTW
* They start the 2nd set with two songs of SOE instead of Invisible and EBTTRT (perhaps starting with The Morning after Innocence, depending on the mood of this song)
* The 2nd set will contain at least 5 songs of SOE, but no songs of SOI
* They will only change 2-3 'classic' songs compared to the 2nd set of the 2015 tour. Maybe these songs are a little bit more focused on the Experience-theme, something that was missing on the 2015 tour.
* They will end the concert with a SOE-song.

-Very few SOI, HTDAAB and ATYCLB songs
-Remember that 1980-1986 and 1992-1999 exist
-If SOE doesn't come out in time, try out a couple new ones

- Keep uteotw it's too good not to play.

- I imagine we'll have about 3 SOI songs

- Everything hinges on the new material as far as show format goes

- Ditch Invisible. It was underwhelming to me live.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ditch Elevation for fucks sake. Discotheque would be huge in the same slot and a lot more fun.

And add a few treasures to the setlist like we had with 360 - UF and Ultraviolet were big highlights for me. I thought the I&E shows were lacking those. (October and Zooropa are just too short for my appetite). Yes we had Out of Control and Bad but I heard those live on the JT tour and a few other tours. They need to dig deep for some treasures.

and play 2-3 more new songs vs. the warhorses. I&E shows towards the end felt like a greatest hits show to me.

And improve the fucking encore. I like COBL and BD just fine, but that encore just felt limp most nights without Bad.

Another suggestion: sing One from now on instead of having the crowd do it. Or, failing that, put up the lyrics so we're all on the same page.

The only change in the setlist will probably be SOI songs be replaced with SOE songs, which is cool. The most exciting thing about seeing U2 live these days is seeing them perform the NEW songs.

Play a Motorhead song in tribute to Lemmy during the B-Stage set. Make Adam play a Rickenbacker bass, sing into a mic perched above his head and give Larry a double bass drum kit.

That any second leg in 2017 features proper fucking respect shown to 'Pop' on it's gloriously camp 20th anniversary.

Ideas/wishes about the (possible) next I&E tour

My idea would be to combine parts of both sets and then make set #2 SOE themed.

01 The Miracle
02 New Song
03 Early classic
04 Vertigo
05 I Will Follow
06 Iris
07 Cedarwood
08 EBW
09 October
10 Bullet
11 Wolves
12 UTEOW
13 -Zooropa segue to end 1st set

13 Zooropa full to open 2nd set.
14 Achtung/Zooropa/Pop song
15 Achtung/Zooropa/Pop song
16 SOE
17 SOE
18 SOE
19 Streets
20 Pride/BD/NYD
21 SOE/The Troubles
22 WOWY/Bad/One
Encore
23 SOE
24 SOE
25 BD/Pride
26 Bad/40/One/WOWY

Please don't:

Open with The Miracle
Play Still haven't found as a closer
Play City of Blinding Lights again

Please consider:

Open with a much better song taken from SOE
Remember that the album POP is part of your back catalogue
Give as much love to detail to the live presentation of SOE songs as you did with SOI songs

My idea would be to combine parts of both sets and then make set #2 SOE themed.

01 The Miracle
02 New Song
03 Early classic
04 Vertigo
05 I Will Follow
06 Iris
07 Cedarwood
08 EBW
09 October
10 Bullet
11 Wolves
12 UTEOW
13 -Zooropa segue to end 1st set

13 Zooropa full to open 2nd set.
14 Achtung/Zooropa/Pop song
15 Achtung/Zooropa/Pop song
16 SOE
17 SOE
18 SOE
19 Streets
20 Pride/BD/NYD
21 SOE/The Troubles
22 WOWY/Bad/One
Encore
23 SOE
24 SOE
25 BD/Pride
26 Bad/40/One/WOWY

If they had released both albums in 2014 and then 2015 and started the tour like this, that would have been a good idea.

That did not happen though and Songs Of Innocence has received 76 shows as the focus. Its now time that the focus shift to Songs Of Experience.

If they had released both albums in 2014 and then 2015 and started the tour like this, that would have been a good idea.

That did not happen though and Songs Of Innocence has received 76 shows as the focus. Its now time that the focus shift to Songs Of Experience.

When Zooropa came out, they didn't change the Achtung Baby part of the show. They just added Zooropa songs into the mix.
The Zoo TV Sydney show had 8 Achtung Baby songs and 5 from Zooropa. This show would only feature about 6-7 SOE songs and 5-6 SOI songs.
And why ditch Iris, Cedarwood, Wolves, etc. when they were so good on the tour.

many Zooropa songs didn't work well live so I think many of them are only played sporadically (like Babyface only played couple of times, Zooropa played only as snippets or abbreviated versions).

When Zooropa came out, they didn't change the Achtung Baby part of the show. They just added Zooropa songs into the mix.
The Zoo TV Sydney show had 8 Achtung Baby songs and 5 from Zooropa. This show would only feature about 6-7 SOE songs and 5-6 SOI songs.
And why ditch Iris, Cedarwood, Wolves, etc. when they were so good on the tour.

Thats not the same thing though. That Zooropa even became an album was a sudden fluke. They really did not start to play Zooropa songs until the end of the European tour and only the Australia, New Zealand and Japan shows really featured much the album.

The tour, ZOO TV tour, promoting Achtung Baby was booked well into 1993 long before Zooropa was ever conceived of being a full album.

The Innocence and Experience Tour is different. Just with that name, you would expect each album to get equal time in terms of promotion. If they keep some of the innocence songs then they will have to drop songs from the older catalog.

I don't see any way Every Breaking Wave sticks around on the regular, unless they finally decide to do a full band version. Bono struggled with it too much.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Dublin songs... as they were so very theme driven on this leg. On any normal tour it would be a no brainer that they'd return, as they were highlights of the first leg.

I guess it depends on if they plan on sticking to the story telling on the next leg or not.

If SOE actually happens, they might be able to tell a cool updated story with a mixture of SOI and SOE songs.

For fun and education, I looked up how often Zooropa songs were played on the Zoo TV/Zooropa tour total. Here's what I got;

Numb: 32 Times (debuted on 7/7/93 in Rome and stayed in the set until the end)
Stay: 23 Times (debuted 7/31/93 in Stockholm and stayed in the set until the end)
Lemon: 10 Times (only in Aus/NZ/Japan)
Dirty Day: 10 Times (only in Aus/NZ/Japan)
Crashed Car: 10 Times (only in Aus/NZ/Japan)
Babyface: 5 Times (all in the UK, towards the end of the Euro leg)
Zooropa: 3 Times (all in the UK)
First Time: Snippeted a handful of times during "Bad", not actually performed on its own until Vertigo Tour
The Wanderer: Performed once in 2005
Some Days: Never played

Zooropa was a very small part of the ZOO TV Tour until the last 10 shows.

1. (SOE)
2. Electric Co.
3. Vertigo
4. Mofo
5. Iris (Hold Me Close)
6. Cedarwood Road
7. (SOE)
8. Please
9. Raised by Wolves
10. Gone

11. The Fly
12. No Line on the Horizon
13. (SOE)
14. Do You Feel Loved
15. Stay
16. Every Breaking Wave
17. Beach Sequence
18. Bullet
19. Slug
20. Streets
21. Pride
22. (SOE)
23. Kite

24. Dirty Day
25. (SOE)
26. Bad
27. (SOE)

Achtung Baby stuck around after Zooropa was released because it was Achtung Baby. People wanted to hear it, and it's their best material. They were also the biggest band in the world at the time, so of course everyone wanted to hear their new stuff.

SOI will be kept at a minimum to make room for SOE, guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom