How bad are the obstructed views? (no spoilers please!) + Behind the Stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronMcKie

The Fly
Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm wondering from anyone sitting at the ends of the arena, especially upper deck, had an opinion on the show mechanics.

Do you feel like you were missing something from not being able to see the main screen, or did they have smaller screens at the ends so you could view it as well?

I'm going to a couple in Chicago but am a little worried my cheap seats will leave a lot out of the total experience.

Thanks for any replies!

There is another thread about this, but it has spoilers, with pictures, so you may not want to visit it.

The main screen is an integral part of the show for a few songs, so being unable to see it will mean missing some of the highlights. There are smaller screens at each end, to give you a sense of what the band are doing, but they don't have the visual impact of the large screen.

But worse still, the screen is a visual obstruction. Restricting views of the opposite end of the arena. For lower tier seats this will only occur occasionally. But for venues with high upper tier seats, the obstruction may be any time the band uses the stage at the opposite end of the arena, or the catwalk. So for UPPER TIER END SEAT, the obstructions could be VERY CONSIDERABLE.

Note, the obstructions are at their very worst at the very ends of the arena. Once you're 25 degrees from the centre end (the widest $35 seats), the obstructions aren't as bad, & the screen views a a little better. Once you're about 40 degrees from the end (in the middle of the $68 seats), obstructions are gone, & views of the screen are better.

So I'd be prepared to say either,
* heck it's a cheap night out, enjoy the music, & a chance to see the band at times. Or,
* we don't get to see this band often. Swap any seat directly at the end, for at least the widest $35 seats. Or even better, swap it for any $68 upper, the wider the better (my prefered option). Use the San Jose map to give you a better understanding of seat prices, & likely obstructions (labelled in blue).

Note, I haven't seen the show yet. But have read others reviews, & seen quite a few pictures. I'm a bit of a GA junkie, but like to try a cheaper seat on the odd occasion. For 360 I was very happy with my $30 seat (in Vegas, so the smallest stadium, side on, 40 rows from the band). However here I think it's worth upgrading to the $68 seat (same price as GA, ouch), or at least the widest $35 seats. There's actually some people enjoying the (side) seats more than GA, some even giving up GA for seats , due to that LED screen, & the band working the entire floor.

Best of luck.

Wow, what a thorough response, thanks!

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear, but at least I know what I'm getting myself into.

I'll have a great time wherever I am, at least I know that much :hyper:

Has anyone seen the show from an obstructed view seat? Any details you could give us? How bad is the obstruction?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I saw SJ1 from lower deck section 109, row 10, seat 7 (basically 7 seats off the center line right by the b-stage). To be honest it wasn't ideal. You could tell that things were happening on the screen and most of the time you could tell what they were, but if there was any writing you couldn't read it and you couldn't see any of the "magic" effects which make the screen so cool. The proximity to the B-stage was fantastic, but the screen was mostly out of play. (The secondary screen was small and was only on during the "magic" times and didn't really capture the effect too well.) I had no problem seeing across to the main stage so if they weren't doing a "magic" thing, I had a perfect view of the band.

It seems life if there's one legit complaint about the staging it's how those who are in the sections at either end of the arena can't see shit on the screen

You'd think a bigger end screen could have been added that would show exactly what's going on. Maybe they'll improve it as the shows go on

Thanks guys.. Makes sense. Im GA for Montreal 1 & 2 but I also have one of those cheap obstructed view tickets for Montreal 4 and am just wondering what to expect.

I sat in the second level, dead center at the 2nd San Jose show...the view was DEFINITELY obstructed. While I could see Edge/Larry and Bono most of the time, Adam was out of view for most of the show...since I was sitting dead center I lost the effect of the giant side screens. It was nice they had a screen pointed at the back to show the band up-close, on-stage.

I still loved the show...:yes:

It seems life if there's one legit complaint about the staging it's how those who are in the sections at either end of the arena can't see shit on the screen

You'd think a bigger end screen could have been added that would show exactly what's going on. Maybe they'll improve it as the shows go on

2016 may yield the "We learned from your eXPERIENCE tour."

The end seats are shite. I sat in the 4th row of the upper deck for San Jose 1 and was really disappointed. I couldn't see Edge for half the show and had a nearly impossible time seeing anything presented on the screen.

If you want to go to a I+E show but not spend a mortgage, wait for the GA dump on Ticketmaster a few days prior to the show. That's what I did for San Jose 2.

The end seats are shite. I sat in the 4th row of the upper deck for San Jose 1 and was really disappointed. I couldn't see Edge for half the show and had a nearly impossible time seeing anything presented on the screen.

If you want to go to a I+E show but not spend a mortgage, wait for the GA dump on Ticketmaster a few days prior to the show. That's what I did for San Jose 2.

We were in 214 for SJ1 (which is just off perpendicular to the staging by one section). I think they were around $115 seats.
They were wonderful seats! So if you can't do GA for whatever reason, find seats on the sides.

We were in 214 for SJ1 (which is just off perpendicular to the staging by one section). I think they were around $115 seats.
They were wonderful seats! So if you can't do GA for whatever reason, find seats on the sides.

We were in 207.

U2-Seating-Chart.jpg

No problems seeing Adam and Larry, but being able to see Edge on the main stage was a problem.

I'm in 105 for London 3. Safe to say I won't be able to see the screen. Quite close to the e stage tho

O2-Arena-Seating-Plan.jpg

I actually think you'll be fine. Ideal? No... But I think the screen will be around where B2 is, so while you won't have the best of views, you should be able to see what's going on.

It seems the only ones who can't see shit are those who are in the sections that line up directly with the screen and a few rows out on each direction.

Any thoughts on seats behind the main stage? We are going to Montreal, 2nd night, and have seats in section 118 which looks like it may be behind the main stage...

I thought the upper deck seats were fine. If you are at enough of an angle in the cheap seats, you can actually see the main light show pretty well. if you're direct center, you obviously can't...

However, each side of the arena's obstructed view upper decks have a television screen that gives you closeups on the band members throughout the show. You actually get better shots of the band than most of the audience and the tv screen also shows you a lot of things going on in the main screen on the ramp below you. Plus, we had a great view of the band whenever they were on the E stage (was direct center night one in SJ, and off to the side for night two). Not bad for a total of $50 a ticket for each night.

Obviously, you can't see the band when there's an obstruction in the way, but the tv screen lets you see them anyway throughout basically the entire show. It was a nice gesture by the band to have those smaller screens on each end of the arena.

This was our view for Vancouver 2 directly behind the stage on the upper level.
The very yellow screen in the middle was very high quality, but didn't always show what was happening on the main screen. It did show close ups of the band playing though.

Attachments

• 1433261477718.jpg
    1433261477718.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 55
We have Sec 211 at Köln 2, near the outside of the section, hopefully not too bad. Will call tix Cat 2 for Köln 1, so not sure yet how that will be.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Attachments

• 1433267036084.jpg
    1433267036084.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 29
Where is the spoilers on thread... I don't see one that has been updated in 2 weeks...

Thanks for the pics!!! It gives me idea of what to expect considering where I'll be. Can't wait for a great night of music!!! :applaud::applaud::applaud:

The countdown is on: 11 more nights to go!!!! :love::love::love:

Thanks for the responses everyone. Gives me an idea of what to expect!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I loved my obstructed view seat. Money well spent. :up:

How many rows up were you from the floor? I think I might be in a similar spot at MSG.

Of course, I knew that I was behind the band, but this picture makes me happy. I forgot they'd be walking both directions on the catwalk. How was the view from the E stage?

Also, when on the main stage, did Bono travel behind Larry (i.e. facing you?)

What do you guys think the view is of Loge behind the stage in Boston? I'm sure there are 10000 pics somewhere but not finding them.

Behind the Stage

Anyone sat behind the stage as these shows (I know they have) and what did you think? I'm selling Loge tickets for Boston and I honestly have no idea what the view will be. Of course my tickets don't say rear and I bought them before the stage was even on ticketmaster...

I keep looking for video and photos to get a feel of it, but hard to find. Everyone on here goes GA!

Back
Top Bottom