Good people of Interference, I seek your advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrumpyjsk

The Fly
Hi all.

An Australian from Perth here, trying to weigh up whether I can justify booking tickets to see U2 in Madison Square Garden.

Here's the run-down:

- I want to see a U2 arena show.
- I've never visited the US.
- My mother is celebrating her 50th in London on August 2nd, which I was hoping to travel for anyway.

As I'm planning to complete a masters degree this year, I cannot afford to take an extended break. Unfortunately, the way dates have fallen mean that if I wish to catch U2 in 2015, the only feasible way of doing so is to visit New York and see the final shows of the first leg.

Now my issues:

My research indicates the flights will be somewhere around AU$2500. Perhaps there will be good deals I can snag between now and July, so this price could come down. However, this is still a large investment even before I factor in accomodation.

I am also not a member of U2.com, so I am not going to be eligible for either pre-sale. If I wanted to book GA tickets to any of the shows, it would be a necessity to register today for the second pre-sale, wouldn't it?

My questions to the public are as follows:

Do I take the plunge and invest in the experience of a lifetime?

or

Do I hold back and wait for them to tour Down Under, likely in a stadium once more?

Your U2 Feedback is appreciated.

I've never seen U2 in an arena before, so I'm spending money on that experience this time (I'm in the US, but they are not coming to my state)... I'd recommend investing in some vacations in NY :D

I've never seen U2 in an arena before, so I'm spending money on that experience this time (I'm in the US, but they are not coming to my state)... I'd recommend investing in some vacations in NY :D

So thats one answer in the affirmative? I've always wanted to visit New York and had intended to at some point - this is just a financially and logistically awkward one!

If you're headed to NYC I suggest for accommodation you check out https://www.airbnb.com.au

There are some pretty great, cheap places you can stay. There is shared or private accommodation or rent someones house/apartment out, I highly recommend it after using it all across the US when I was there in September.

As for the experience of a lifetime. DO IT! They'll tour here in early/late 2016, but why not go and see the world at the same time!

I had a look on Qantas this morning and flights from MELB ->LAX were only $1200-ish. There's a good chance they will have another sale on before that time, but don't leave it too late.

Is that a good price? I'm seeing similar prices from Perth with Singapore Airlines. If I manage Rory tickets, believe me I'll be vigilant on flight prices.

Thanks for the Air BnB recommendation - I used it when travelling Europe and I am full agreeable, such a fantastic way of staying in the places you visit. It will be my first port of call for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hey Scrumpyjsk I also live in Perth and share simular feelings, would love to see U2 in a arena show but as you said it more likely they will do stadiums when they get here.

I say if you think you can manage it financially go for it and enjoy the US while you are there!

Would love that experience but got too many debts at the moment.

Unfor

Is that a good price? I'm seeing similar prices from Perth with Singapore Airlines. If I manage Rory tickets, believe me I'll be vigilant on flight prices.

Depending on the economy, how the $AUD goes in the next few months it's a pretty good price. It only gets more expensive from then on (leading into summer in the Northern Hemisphere) with peak holiday seasons. You might be able to pull $900-1200 return prices, but it just depends really.

Flight Centre currently have Perth -> NYC for $1554 for travel dates between 1st-31st May.

Hi all.

An Australian from Perth here, trying to weigh up whether I can justify booking tickets to see U2 in Madison Square Garden.

Here's the run-down:

- I want to see a U2 arena show.
- I've never visited the US.
- My mother is celebrating her 50th in London on August 2nd, which I was hoping to travel for anyway.

As I'm planning to complete a masters degree this year, I cannot afford to take an extended break. Unfortunately, the way dates have fallen mean that if I wish to catch U2 in 2015, the only feasible way of doing so is to visit New York and see the final shows of the first leg.

Now my issues:

My research indicates the flights will be somewhere around AU$2500. Perhaps there will be good deals I can snag between now and July, so this price could come down. However, this is still a large investment even before I factor in accomodation.

I am also not a member of U2.com, so I am not going to be eligible for either pre-sale. If I wanted to book GA tickets to any of the shows, it would be a necessity to register today for the second pre-sale, wouldn't it?

My questions to the public are as follows:

Do I take the plunge and invest in the experience of a lifetime?

or

Do I hold back and wait for them to tour Down Under, likely in a stadium once more?

Your U2 Feedback is appreciated.

Do it, you can't beat the experience of travelling and New York is a great city. You'll have the memories and journey of a life time!

Sent from my SM-N910F using U2 Interference mobile app

I've taken the first step - I've renewed my U2.com membership! So I will be attempting to get tickets in the 'Innocence' presale. Wish me luck!

Any U2 show is great but a show in NYC at MSG is something special. been there, done that and it was amazing. New York on it's own is an incredible experience and for me personally it's my favourite city I've been to and it's not even close to be honest.

You answered your own question by describing the New York trip as an experience of a lifetime. If you have the means to get it done I say go to New York. Sign up at u2.com today and take a shot tomorrow. What do you have to lose? $50. If I were you I'd say fuck it and just go for it! At least this way you'll never say "gee I wish I had done that"

I have been debating about going to NYC from Florida and when I read your post it sealed my decision to go (that is if I get tickets tomorrow). I agree that you should go if you have the means! There is nothing worse than regret.

I vote for NYC. Trip of a lifetime. There is so much more to do/see in NYC as well, and U2 will be the perfect pinnacle.

On flights, you may want to try booking from OZ to LAX, which as others have mentioned are closer to 1500. Then booking from LAX to NYC, which you can find for 300 lately, I hear.

For me, I like staying in cheap hostels. And there are plenty of cheap, delicious eats. Your main cost would be the flight.

I vote for NYC. Trip of a lifetime. There is so much more to do/see in NYC as well, and U2 will be the perfect pinnacle.

On flights, you may want to try booking from OZ to LAX, which as others have mentioned are closer to 1500. Then booking from LAX to NYC, which you can find for 300 lately, I hear.

For me, I like staying in cheap hostels. And there are plenty of cheap, delicious eats. Your main cost would be the flight.
I've stayed in hostels in NYC before and it's been great for sure. Nice and cheap and you meet other people.

If a hostel isn't your cup of tea I'd recommend the Hotel St. James. It's about 500 feet from Times Square if that, it's 2 blocks from the subway, 3 blocks from Rockafeller Center, 1 block from the theatre district, it's beside two Irish pubs and only 7 blocks from Madison Square Garden. EASILY walking distance. I just came back from NYC and I stay 8 nights there and it cost us $1300 US dollars. Obviously more expensive than a hostel but completely worth it if it's a hotel you want and given the location I thought the price was actually pretty incredible. Plus our room was huge with 2 double beds.

Back
Top Bottom